PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Mass in the NE

mattm6913
12-31-2009, 16:04
I am currently planning a section hike starting at the White Mountains (VT) and ending at Katahdin. The problem is, once I get into Maine it is very hard to find trial towns close enough to attend a Catholic Mass on Sundays (or Saturday nights).

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? I am a devout Catholic and I am required to attend a Catholic service every Sunday, so I cannot substitute another denomination's service. The only solution I have come up with is to pay a huge taxi fare to be ferried to towns that are within fifty miles of the trail every Sunday... this will end up being very expensive.

Thanks for your input!

Toolshed
12-31-2009, 16:20
I am a devout Catholic and I am required to attend a Catholic service every Sunday, so I cannot substitute another denomination's service. ...
Required by Who?

max patch
12-31-2009, 17:10
Matt, for questions like this in the future you may want to post them in the Straight Forward section so you don't get BS answers like the one Toolshed just gave you.

As you plan your trip you will know which towns you will be at each Saturday. I bet if you contact each church with your location (hostel, hotel) that someone from each church would volunteer to come shuttle on Saturday nite or Sunday morning.

I also bet your Priest could give you some alternatives if you should happen to miss a Sunday due to logistical problems.

Good luck.

mikec
12-31-2009, 17:38
This website has links to various Catholic churches around the US. You can try contacting them. I had the same problem when on the trail. I would try to get to mass but there wasn't always a church close by on Saturday night or Sunday:

http://www.rc.net

Toolshed
12-31-2009, 18:35
Matt, for questions like this in the future you may want to post them in the Straight Forward section so you don't get BS answers like the one Toolshed just gave you.

As you plan your trip you will know which towns you will be at each Saturday. I bet if you contact each church with your location (hostel, hotel) that someone from each church would volunteer to come shuttle on Saturday nite or Sunday morning.

I also bet your Priest could give you some alternatives if you should happen to miss a Sunday due to logistical problems.

Good luck.
Bull**** question My ass!!!! Someone states they are required to do something.... Simple question - required by who?

Tuckahoe
12-31-2009, 18:58
It was a BS question and nothing but trolling on your part and you know it. A better person wouldnt have even asked such a question. The man is looking for a church to meet his needs and you have to bust his chops for it.

Tagalong
12-31-2009, 20:34
Matt, I have found the website masstimes.org to be very helpful.

weary
12-31-2009, 21:28
It was a BS question and nothing but trolling on your part and you know it. A better person wouldnt have even asked such a question. The man is looking for a church to meet his needs and you have to bust his chops for it.
Well, unless you tell me who the "your part, and you know it" refers to I can't really offer a detailed comment. But we are a diverse nation, with diverse religious views. It's a fact of life that in the small towns along the trail, protestant churchs tend to dominate -- north and south.

For instance, I'm extremely interested in the future of this world. I met a few people on the trail that advanced my knowledge of the possibilities. Those I greatly appreciated. A few organized churches, both Catholic and Protestant , helped with lodging, and occasionally with meals.

But otherwise "my" spiritual needs were not addressed.

Weary

Tuckahoe
12-31-2009, 23:20
Weary I dont know how you missed it, but I was commenting to Toolshed, who felt the need to crap on someone's thread who was merely asking where he might find Catholic church services along the trail.

white_russian
01-01-2010, 00:15
Can you just grab a prayer book and some beads and do it yourself on top of a mountain?

A problem with going to mass every Saturday or Sunday is not just transportation, but timing. You may find yourself taking lots of zero days to fit in mass every week.

Are you like a priest in training or something? Toolshed was a bit blunt with it, but it is interesting to know what beliefs require you to be at mass every week.

sasquatch2014
01-01-2010, 10:15
Can you just grab a prayer book and some beads and do it yourself on top of a mountain?

Not if you are going to faithful to certain Dogmas. Never understood them most likely never will but they do exist.

Hikes with a stick
01-01-2010, 11:59
I am catholic, but I am not required to go to church every Sunday. I have not been in quite a few Sunday's actually...

Some Catholic churches will have services on Saturday's and Wednesday nights as well. You might be able to find a church that has a school and has weekday morning masses.

But its probably going to be a logistical nightmare trying to keep on a hiking schedule where you are at the right place and time every week to make it to Mass. And before you go to Mass, you are going to want to be wearing clean clothes and have bathed so you don't offend others in the congregation. They will not know you are a thru hiker and may not be sympathetic to your appearance.

Don't this as an insult, but I think its a bit ironic that you would feel the need to go to a brick and mortar building, in some town or city, to feel the presence of God when you have been living out in nature(his creation) for weeks or months.

Lilred
01-01-2010, 12:48
I gotta agree with Hikes with Sticks. I bet if you arrange to pay your weekly contributions ahead of time, your priest will be just fine with you saying the rosary in the woods.

Toolshed, it's the Catholic church that requires weekly attendance or they consider it a sin to not go. Jesus commanded us to meet on the first day of the week to break bread with other christians to remember Him. Perhaps there are other christians that would meet with you and break bread and pray if you can't get to a mass.

white_russian
01-01-2010, 12:57
They will not know you are a thru hiker and may not be sympathetic to your appearance.
If a church judges you on your appearance and smell it ain't worth going to anyway. I have come straight off the trail to church a couple of times and they all welcomed me with open arms even though I was dirty and came in during the middle of the service.

Toolshed
01-01-2010, 13:41
I gotta agree with Hikes with Sticks. I bet if you arrange to pay your weekly contributions ahead of time, your priest will be just fine with you saying the rosary in the woods.

Toolshed, it's the Catholic church that requires weekly attendance or they consider it a sin to not go. Jesus commanded us to meet on the first day of the week to break bread with other christians to remember Him. Perhaps there are other christians that would meet with you and break bread and pray if you can't get to a mass.

I guess I had forgotten it was a sin (is it Mortal or Venal?) to deliberately not attend church on Sundays - My bad - But I also wouldn't think that not being able to attend due to geographic proximity would be considered a sin.... As White Russian stated and interpreted from my original question, Simply asking who's requiring it...the individual by faith or is there some higher order they belong to in which they must physically record attendance a place of worship - Such as a being enrolled in a seminary or perhaps a fraternal org such as KoC.

I do agree that one does not need be in the church in order to pray or observe prayer, if they cannot make it. Daily and weekly mass readings are usually available in advance for shut-ins and such - and I honestly believe this shows more devotion to one's faith than those who drag themselves into church right before the first liturgy, hang out on the back kneelers and then duck out as communion starts.

My original question may have been short and to the point, but it wasn't a bull**** question.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2010, 13:59
all denominations have different gods and jesuses. very confusing

Snowleopard
01-01-2010, 14:36
Isn't there a Catholic monastery on the AT that offers hostel accommodations to hikers? Searching, it looks like it used to offer hostel accommodations.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=913145
Still, perhaps someone there would have good advice for you. http://www.atonementfriars.org/graymoor.htm

You'll probably have to call the parishes near the trail and ask for help in arranging things. You'll probably also have to plan your zero days to be in towns with Catholic churches.

bull
01-01-2010, 19:13
Nice... Catholic bashing... The guy asked a legitimate question and gets several smart ass responses. Leave the prejudice out of the comments. No need to attack his faith !
Mike

superman
01-01-2010, 19:59
Nice... Catholic bashing... The guy asked a legitimate question and gets several smart ass responses. Leave the prejudice out of the comments. No need to attack his faith !
Mike

Yes, all he needs to do is make a large enough contribution and they'll give him a pass. If they balk at it just tell them I said it's ok.:welcome

Rockhound
01-01-2010, 20:40
Just curious. What exactly would happen if you were to miss a Sunday or two? Is that grounds for automatic eternal damnation?

Toolshed
01-01-2010, 21:01
Mike
I don't see where anyone is attacking his faith. But feel free to think what you need.

modiyooch
01-01-2010, 21:08
Just curious. What exactly would happen if you were to miss a Sunday or two? Is that grounds for automatic eternal damnation?
It's a personal preference. you know when they say HYOH? Well, give the guy the same courtesy. My testimony/spiritual conversion was during my thru hike attempt. Although I dislike to miss worship and sermon, I prefer being in the woods. I have spent many an Easter backpacking, and that's where I feel the closest.

pfann
01-01-2010, 21:37
The Roman Catholic Church publishes a document called the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC). This document outlines official church teaching on a myriad of topics (lots of minutiae for the canon lawyers). the document is divided into sections and there is a section that covers attendance at Sunday Mass.

CCC #2181 reads as follows-

"The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on the days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin."

Days of obligation include Sundays and other holy days such as Christmas, Easter, etc.

If one chooses to become a Catholic (or a member of another church for that matter) I suppose it would be logical that one agrees to try and live by the tenets and teachings of the particular church. Hopefully this answers the question of "who" requires attendance at mass on Sunday.

Back on topic...

Perhaps a discussion with your parish pastor may help you be dismissed from your Sunday obligation (when you can't locate a parish) during your thru-hike, or perhaps he may be able to help you locate churches where you may attend mass.

Let me also advise you that attendance at an Eastern Rite church mass is acceptable for a Roman Catholic, if any Eastern Rite churches are near the trail.

Good luck and God bless,

pfann

Hoop
01-01-2010, 21:43
Why not discuss it with your parish priest? He likely will address your concerns and help find a compromise between the obligation to attend mass and the challenge of what to do on Sunday when there are no Catholic churches nearby? Methinks he'll assure you that no sin should weigh on your conscience if you drop in on the service of a different denomination.

pfann
01-01-2010, 21:43
[QUOTE=Hikes with a stick;942388]I am catholic, but I am not required to go to church every Sunday. I have not been in quite a few Sunday's actually...

I am interested in what type of 'catholic' does not have an obligation to attend mass on Sundays. I know there are legitimate reasons for some to be dismissed from Sunday obligation but your post makes it seem that your church makes it optional, unless I am reading it wrong.

Please explain.

Thank you,

pfann

Blissful
01-01-2010, 22:40
Your best bet in such a remote area is to shorten it and do Maine at another time, esp in the 100 mile wilderness area where you can fit it into a week, give or take.

modiyooch
01-01-2010, 23:06
Your best bet in such a remote area is to shorten it and do Maine at another time, esp in the 100 mile wilderness area where you can fit it into a week, give or take.There are a few points in the wilderness where he can catch a ride to town. Matt, I'm also from Hickory and have hiked the area. I have some maps that I can share. I think it would be harder to find a taxi, then a catholic church. I googled and found churches in Rangeley, Sugarloaf, Stratton, Greenville and Millinocket for starters. http://www.portlanddiocese.net/parishes_cities.php

Tinker
01-01-2010, 23:22
I am currently planning a section hike starting at the White Mountains (VT) and ending at Katahdin. The problem is, once I get into Maine it is very hard to find trial towns close enough to attend a Catholic Mass on Sundays (or Saturday nights).

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? I am a devout Catholic and I am required to attend a Catholic service every Sunday, so I cannot substitute another denomination's service. The only solution I have come up with is to pay a huge taxi fare to be ferried to towns that are within fifty miles of the trail every Sunday... this will end up being very expensive.

Thanks for your input!

Isn't it possible that a person could be "required" by his/her conscience?
Or, quite possibly, they actually love God and wish to do what they believe that they are (again, this is subjective on the part of the worshipper) called to do?
I think there may be, on the part of the non or anti Christian folks the misunderstanding that all or most Christians were born into it. Quite on the contrary, most were at one time agnostic or atheist, and may be able to see both sides of the coin from time to time.

mattm6913
01-01-2010, 23:54
Required by Who?
I was looking for solutions from people who were/are in the same situation, not a podium on which to defend my faith. If you are truly curious, you can find out why quite simply by doing a little bit of research on your own. This is, I might add, a website to discuss things pertinent to the AT--which my original post quite clearly adhered to--and as such, I will not answer any of these questions that are detracting from the original thread. Thanks.

mattm6913
01-01-2010, 23:57

Good luck.
Thanks, max. In the future I will definitely do this. Good advice too.

mattm6913
01-01-2010, 23:58
This website has links to various Catholic churches around the US. You can try contacting them. I had the same problem when on the trail. I would try to get to mass but there wasn't always a church close by on Saturday night or Sunday:

http://www.rc.net
Thanks! This is a great site!

mattm6913
01-01-2010, 23:59
Oh yes, masstimes.org is very helpful indeed. Thanks!

mattm6913
01-02-2010, 00:30
I am catholic, but I am not required to go to church every Sunday. I have not been in quite a few Sunday's actually...

Some Catholic churches will have services on Saturday's and Wednesday nights as well. You might be able to find a church that has a school and has weekday morning masses.

But its probably going to be a logistical nightmare trying to keep on a hiking schedule where you are at the right place and time every week to make it to Mass. And before you go to Mass, you are going to want to be wearing clean clothes and have bathed so you don't offend others in the congregation. They will not know you are a thru hiker and may not be sympathetic to your appearance.

Don't this as an insult, but I think its a bit ironic that you would feel the need to go to a brick and mortar building, in some town or city, to feel the presence of God when you have been living out in nature(his creation) for weeks or months.
Hhhm.. Where to start? I am aware that one can attend the Saturday night vigil mass (which is the Sunday mass celebrated the night before), but to say that you are Catholic and are not required to attend mass on Sundays is false as the Saturday night mass is--as I said before--a vigil mass for the Sunday celebration. If you do not go to mass at all (either on Saturday night, or on Sunday) you are breaking a precept of the Church.
With that being said, if you do not believe that the Church REQUIRES you to go to mass on Sundays than you are not Catholic and I kindly ask you to stop calling yourself that. I quote "The Catechism of the Catholic Church", paragraph 2042: "The first precept ('You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on Holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor') requires the faithful to sanctify the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord as well as the principle liturgical feasts honoring the mysteries of the Lord, The Blessed Virgin Mary, and the saints; in the first place, by participating in the Eucharistic celebration, in which of Christian community is gathered, and by resting from those works and activities which could impede such a sanctification of these days."
I don't take this as a personal insult, but as an insult to the Church. If you do not believe and practice EVERYTHING that the Catholic Church teaches, than you are NOT a Catholic. It is not the brick and mortar building that is required, but the reception of the sacrament of the Eucharist. If you were a Catholic, you would understand this.
I suggest that you have a conversation with a priest regarding this, as I am sure he will be able to put to rest any heretical thoughts that you might have in the future.

mattm6913
01-02-2010, 00:35
Isn't there a Catholic monastery on the AT that offers hostel accommodations to hikers? Searching, it looks like it used to offer hostel accommodations.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=913145
Still, perhaps someone there would have good advice for you. http://www.atonementfriars.org/graymoor.htm

You'll probably have to call the parishes near the trail and ask for help in arranging things. You'll probably also have to plan your zero days to be in towns with Catholic churches.
Yea, I actually read of this in a book somewhere along the way of preparing for this adventure. Thanks for the links!

mattm6913
01-02-2010, 00:41
The Roman Catholic Church publishes a document called the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC). This document outlines official church teaching on a myriad of topics (lots of minutiae for the canon lawyers). the document is divided into sections and there is a section that covers attendance at Sunday Mass.

CCC #2181 reads as follows-

"The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on the days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin."

Days of obligation include Sundays and other holy days such as Christmas, Easter, etc.

If one chooses to become a Catholic (or a member of another church for that matter) I suppose it would be logical that one agrees to try and live by the tenets and teachings of the particular church. Hopefully this answers the question of "who" requires attendance at mass on Sunday.

Back on topic...

Perhaps a discussion with your parish pastor may help you be dismissed from your Sunday obligation (when you can't locate a parish) during your thru-hike, or perhaps he may be able to help you locate churches where you may attend mass.

Let me also advise you that attendance at an Eastern Rite church mass is acceptable for a Roman Catholic, if any Eastern Rite churches are near the trail.

Good luck and God bless,

pfann
Thank you very much! Very helpful. I have thought about the dispensation, but I would very much like to attend every Sunday. I guess it may not be possible. Do you know of any Catholic ministries that specifically help AT hikers?

Rockhound
01-02-2010, 08:53
God, for lack of a better word, does not exist solely within the confines of Catholic churches. In fact one might argue that a person would have better luck getting closer to "God" or improving ones relationship with "God" while in a natural setting. Say atop a mountain summit or by a beautiful lake as opposed to being in a box that happens to have a cathedral ceiling. Follow whatever religious or spiritual path you chose but a perfect attendance record does not equate to a free pass into heaven.

Shiraz-mataz
01-02-2010, 10:03
mattm6913, I admire your steadfast adherence to your faith and I think you have some good references now for finding churches along the way who can help you meet your obligation. Just as an aside, your question reminded me of Buzz Aldrin's communion on the surface of the moon during Apollo 11. He was definitely NOT near a church! Granted, he is Presbyterian instead of Catholic but his desire to receive communion was important to him nonetheless. I think his solution was pretty cool and may be something you could consider for those stretches of the AT where you may find yourself beyond the reach of transportation. Check out the Wikipedia link for Aldrin's story... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin

DavidNH
01-02-2010, 10:19
It would be so much easier if you could just miss a Sunday or two. What's the harm??

But since you asked, I guess you first need to be at a road on Saturday evening and get a ride into a town, a town where there is actually a catholic church. this will be harder the farther north you go. Once you are in the 100 mile wilderness forget it. I don't recall catholic churches present in Rangely or Stratton or Andover.

What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.

modiyooch
01-02-2010, 12:22
But since you asked, I guess you first need to be at a road on Saturday evening and get a ride into a town, a town where there is actually a catholic church. this will be harder the farther north you go. Once you are in the 100 mile wilderness forget it. I don't recall catholic churches present in Rangely or Stratton or Andover.

What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.I don't think that he will have to travel any further to find a catholic church than any other church. There are actually two catholic churches in Rangeley and one in Stratton. The one at Sugarloaf seems to be 1-2 miles off the trail by foot. Furthermore, I'm sure if he contacts these churches, someone would be willing to meet him at the road. It's not a difficult plan. As far as the wilderness goes, he can carry half the supplies, get picked up at Jo Mary Road, attend church in Millinocket or Greenville, resupply and continue. If he limits his town stops to 7 days, he far exceeds the majority of the thru hikers out there. He doesn't even have to take a zero. I found the northern hospitality to be outstanding.
Rangeley

Our Lady of the Lakes
Address: 43 Rangeley Avenue, Oquossoc, Maine 04964-0333
Bell Chapel
Street Address: Base of Sugarloaf Mountain

St. John
Street Address: Main Street, Stratton, Maine 04982

St. Luke
Street Address: 9 Lake Street, Rangeley, Maine 04970

Tinker
01-02-2010, 12:24
Orig. posted by DavidNH: What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.

One of the many things that make this country a great place to live:
Freedom of choice. :)

Now imagine being an Orthodox Jew on the AT.........................

Lilred
01-02-2010, 12:42
Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here. The nearest Catholic Church to me is about a half hour drive. In relation to the trail and small towns? Good luck!!

You might want to contact a guy named Circuit Rider. He's a pastor that hikes the AT every year. He may be able to help. Below is his website. He makes it to service every sunday, although he doesn't have the Catholic restraint, he may know of some churches off the beaten path.

www.heartbeatat.com

good luck

sasquatch2014
01-02-2010, 13:29
Orig. posted by DavidNH: What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.

One of the many things that make this country a great place to live:
Freedom of choice. :)

Now imagine being an Orthodox Jew on the AT.........................

Talk about your Zero days adding up.

Maddog
01-02-2010, 13:57
Bull**** question My ass!!!! Someone states they are required to do something.... Simple question - required by who?

i agree! im catholic and am not REQUIRED to do anything! you wont go to HELL if you miss mass! i aint attending mass during my thru! GOD will understand! :)

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2010, 14:11
Matt:

I'm pretty sure Rangeley Maine has a church, not sure about other Maine towns like Monson, Stratton, Andover.

In New Hampshire, I know hikers who have been welcomed at the Catholic churches in Gorham and Lincoln, and of course, my own parish of St. Denis in Hanover would love to have you visit; Sacred Heart in nearby Lebanon is also a wonderful church.

Best of luck!!

Tinker
01-02-2010, 14:13
i agree! im catholic and am not REQUIRED to do anything! you wont go to HELL if you miss mass! i aint attending mass during my thru! GOD will understand! :)
You're a Protestant in drag ;).
If God is really God he WILL understand.
Good luck convincing the Roman Catholic Church.:rolleyes:

Tinker
01-02-2010, 14:14
Talk about your Zero days adding up.

Oy!.....and the extra cookware!!!!!!!!!:eek:

sasquatch2014
01-02-2010, 14:20
Oh my that would make me Meshuge!

I have a friend who has one Jewish parent and one Catholic parent. He referrers to himself as a Cashew.

Tinker
01-02-2010, 14:24
Oh my that would make me Meshuge!

I have a friend who has one Jewish parent and one Catholic parent. He referrers to himself as a Cashew.
See! Religion can be lots of fun!!!!:banana:banana:banana:D

Slo-go'en
01-02-2010, 14:36
Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here.

Northen New England has a strong Catholic presence, thanks to all the French-Canadians who came down for logging and textile work at the turn of the last century. I'm not suprised there are Catholic churches in some of the small towns the AT passes through in Maine. Berlin here used to have 3-4 Catholic churches, but I think thier down to just one now, due to a general drop in overall population.

I think the logistics of being in the right place at the right time to get to a church on Sunday is going to be the real nightmare. On a long hike, it's realy hard to be where you want to be at the time you want to be there.

Having to follow strict religous tenets and being a long distance hiker just don't mix very well.

weary
01-02-2010, 16:59
Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here. The nearest Catholic Church to me is about a half hour drive. In relation to the trail and small towns? Good luck!!......
I was about to say the same thing. I walked north off and on with a very devote Catholic. We hitch hiked into Hiawassi, GA, by passing the highly recommended Blueberry Patch hostel. He to find a Catholic Church for Sunday mass. Me to find a beer.

He was very disappointed about not being able to find a church that matched his faith needs. A quick check suggests that he still might not find a suitable church. The nearest such church I could find after a quick search is one 16 miles away in Blairsville -- and that was built five years after our 1993 walk.

Weary

Whiskey Ninja
01-02-2010, 17:29
Just go to confession after your hike and your clear!

kombiguy
01-02-2010, 17:29
I don't see where anyone is attacking his faith. But feel free to think what you need.
How about these quotes:
"I bet if you arrange to pay your weekly contributions ahead of time,
Yes, all he needs to do is make a large enough contribution and they'll give him a pass. If they balk at it just tell them I said it's ok
In fact one might argue that a person would have better luck getting closer to "God" or improving ones relationship with "God" while in a natural setting. Say atop a mountain summit or by a beautiful lake as opposed to being in a box that happens to have a cathedral ceiling. Follow whatever religious or spiritual path you chose but a perfect attendance record does not equate to a free pass into heaven.
What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.
i agree! im catholic and am not REQUIRED to do anything! you wont go to HELL if you miss mass! i aint attending mass during my thru! GOD will understand!"

All of these display either an atrocious ignorance of the world's largest Christian denomination, or a bigoted perspective. Attempting to blow off the issue of anti-catholicism by saying "feel free to think what you need" is as lame as any other bigot's attempt to justify their narrow-mindedness, stupidity, and hate by saying "some of my best friends are catholic." I think it is safe to say that some people in this thread have displayed and anti-catholic bigotry. Not surprising, considering it is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry.

Mags
01-02-2010, 17:31

The combined powers of Jewish and Catholic guilt alone would drive him meshugah (Jewish) and make him a bit of a stunad' (southern Italian Catholic). :D

The combined powers of Jewish and certain Catholic ethnic denominations (Polish, Mexican, and Italian among others. Irish? Not so much. ;) )at holidays would make for some killer feasts, however. :)

Being serious...talk to your local priest. Explain the situation and something can probably be worked out. Military people sometimes were away from chaplains in the past and not able to attend Mass. Not directly applicable to your situation, but it does give a basis on which the priest may be able to help.

Blissful
01-02-2010, 21:57
You might want to contact a guy named Circuit Rider. He's a pastor that hikes the AT every year. He may be able to help. Below is his website. He makes it to service every sunday, although he doesn't have the Catholic restraint, he may know of some churches off the beaten path.

www.heartbeatat.com (http://www.heartbeatat.com)

good luck

Circuit Rider is a great guy!! We met him and SHerlock in MA.

ShelterLeopard
01-03-2010, 00:29
I stopped reading after the first 15 entries, because I know where this (as with all somewhat "controversial" threads) is going.

This should not be the beginning of a religion discussion, only where one can find a Catholic mass along the trail. It is no one's business if the OP wants to attent Mass, and no one should comment on it.

Matt, it all depends on how much money you're willing to spend, and how much time you're willing to compromise. You will likely find that you are waiting around in certain places and paying t be driven to a service, unless you can find a church member to drive you for free.

The responses to this question are what is wrong with this forum, I think...

ShelterLeopard
01-03-2010, 00:30
Meant "attend", not "attent".

bull
01-03-2010, 00:39
"I think it is safe to say that some people in this thread have displayed an anti-catholic bigotry. Not surprising, considering it is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry."

Excellent observation. Catholic Bashers...let their ignorance shine. Any other form of bigotry would not be tollerated.
Mike

jesse
01-03-2010, 01:34
If it was me, I would limit my hikes to no more than 5-6 days. For me there is just to much hassle trying to combine a long hike without missing a Mass.

The best part of backpacking is to get away from schedules and deadlines and such. This kind of hiking would make me want to get back to work where there would be less stress.

Lumberpat73
01-03-2010, 02:16
I do believe it says somewhere in the catechism that it is tolerable to miss mass on sunday if you are traveling, might wanna double check tho. Im definately not a priest.

Im planning to try to get to mass on Sundays and if I happen on a church some other day, then Ill go to a weekday mass.

thats the best I can do :/

pfann
01-03-2010, 02:41
"The responses to this question are what is wrong with this forum, I think..."

Shlep,

Not all of the responses were off base, some actually took the time for a legitimate solution.

There's only a few who can't supress the desire to tell others how wrong they are in their personal decisions. My guess is many post what they would never be willing to say in person.

-pfann

jrwiesz
01-03-2010, 04:47
all denominations have different gods and jesuses. very confusing

Try to find the video "The Gods Must Be Crazy", it might help clarify things.

white_russian
01-03-2010, 07:37
"I think it is safe to say that some people in this thread have displayed an anti-catholic bigotry. Not surprising, considering it is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry."

Excellent observation. Catholic Bashers...let their ignorance shine. Any other form of bigotry would not be tollerated.
Mike
Bigot is a pretty strong word. Its not that us protestants are bigots, we just think its all a tad silly. There is a difference between not taking a denomination seriously and crossing the line into bigotry. No one on here is saying: "Hey, there is a catholic, lets get him and do bad things!"

Tuckahoe
01-03-2010, 08:32
Bigot is a pretty strong word. Its not that us protestants are bigots, we just think its all a tad silly. There is a difference between not taking a denomination seriously and crossing the line into bigotry. No one on here is saying: "Hey, there is a catholic, lets get him and do bad things!"

Hold on now, if that is the way that you feel that's great. But do not drag the rest of "us protestants" in to what you might find a tad silly. I may not be a good Protestant, I dont go to church, and I may question the divinty of Christ and feel like I have not been given the gift of faith but I find nothing silly about the Catholic faith.

I personally admire the Catholic church and especially its unwillingness to bend at every whim of the masses, especially in these times when people are wanting simple and easy or that they feel rules are too hard to follow. It is not the duty of the church to bend to the masses, but it is the duty of the masses who profess that faith to follow the teachings of their church. I admire the importance that the OP places on his faith and the effort to carry out what is expected of him to meet the expectations of his faith. There is not one thing silly about that desire.

Rockhound
01-03-2010, 09:07
Yes the Catholic church is wonderful. Just look at all they've done. The crusades,(just kill anyone who wont convert, how very Christian) pedophile priests, turning a blind eye towards slavery, ignoring the rights of women, and continuing to amass disgusting amounts of wealth while one billion people on the planet go hungry each day. (although legal costs for their priests have caused them to sell quite a bit of land, What happened to the good old days when the church hierarchy would just transfer pedophile priests to a new church and a new group of children to abuse and nobody said anything?. Just so long as their followers keep the faith. Not through good deeds or helping others or anything. Just so long as they jump through a lot of symbolic hoops and enjoy the pomp and circumstance each Sunday. Yes the Catholic church is just so wonderful. Eveyone is free to believe whatever they want. I just feel that if more Catholics did a little investigating they would leave the Catholic church. This is not to say they they would stop being Christians. In fact many would be acting on their faith when they chose to leave. Just my opinion and if ruffles a few feathers my apologies.

sheepdog
01-03-2010, 09:08
Yes the Catholic church is wonderful. Just look at all they've done. The crusades,(just kill anyone who wont convert, how very Christian) pedophile priests, turning a blind eye towards slavery, ignoring the rights of women, and continuing to amass disgusting amounts of wealth while one billion people on the planet go hungry each day. (although legal costs for their priests have caused them to sell quite a bit of land, What happened to the good old days when the church hierarchy would just transfer pedophile priests to a new church and a new group of children to abuse and nobody said anything?. Just so long as their followers keep the faith. Not through good deeds or helping others or anything. Just so long as they jump through a lot of symbolic hoops and enjoy the pomp and circumstance each Sunday. Yes the Catholic church is just so wonderful. Eveyone is free to believe whatever they want. I just feel that if more Catholics did a little investigating they would leave the Catholic church. This is not to say they they would stop being Christians. In fact many would be acting on their faith when they chose to leave. Just my opinion and if ruffles a few feathers my apologies.
The dude just want's to find a place to go to church. Why don't you leave it alone? Maybe you and some others can learn to be civil.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2010, 09:09
all organized religions are pretty silly but at least catholics condone drinkin' and gamblin' and stuff. and when you feel guilty about stuff you tell some dude in a phone booth thingy about it and you're forgiven. sign me up!

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 09:12
Hold on now, if that is the way that you feel that's great. But do not drag the rest of "us protestants" in to what you might find a tad silly. I may not be a good Protestant, I dont go to church, and I may question the divinty of Christ and feel like I have not been given the gift of faith but I find nothing silly about the Catholic faith.

I personally admire the Catholic church and especially its unwillingness to bend at every whim of the masses, especially in these times when people are wanting simple and easy or that they feel rules are too hard to follow. It is not the duty of the church to bend to the masses, but it is the duty of the masses who profess that faith to follow the teachings of their church. I admire the importance that the OP places on his faith and the effort to carry out what is expected of him to meet the expectations of his faith. There is not one thing silly about that desire.

Hold on while I adjust my flame retardant suit.

Possibly what some see as Catholic Bigotry is not as much that or support of protestant beliefs but an overall feeling that Dogma and organized religion as a whole has it flaws. I for one have a hard time believing that any one church faith or denomination has it right after all everyone of them has had it's laws written down and interpreted by man and as we all know man is fallible. And man tends to be competitive so then we get the I'm better than you. I attend more services or I can quote more scripture therefore I am the better more faithful ( Insert Religion Here).

Do you really believe that the different faiths all have it right? I guess we should over look all these small problems that have come about through man trying to decided what is best for his fellow man in the name of God things like a small problem in Northern Ireland, The Conversion/extermination of Native People, Witch Hunts, Inquisition, Feeding Christians to Lions, Killing of Jews during the Holocaust as well as during the plague, The Crusades, Jihad, Religious riots in India between Hindu and Muslim and on and on and on. More people have been slaughtered in the "name" of God due to religious beliefs than anything else.

So if you think that my answers have been Catholic Bigotry you are off base it is much bigger than that. As someone once said I am not prejudice I hate everyone. That would be close to it I believe it is a personal relationship between the creator and the creation.

Most of these posts including mine have gotten away from the OP. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem. And I do mean that sincerely. If you were hiking in my area I would offer a ride but you will be well north of me. Possibly some of the posters on here will be willing to do the same.

Rockhound
01-03-2010, 09:15
The dude just want's to find a place to go to church. Why don't you leave it alone? Maybe you and some others can learn to be civil.
Thought I was being civil. Can anyone dispute the fact that everything I posted was true?

sheepdog
01-03-2010, 09:18
Hold on while I adjust my flame retardant suit.

Possibly what some see as Catholic Bigotry is not as much that or support of protestant beliefs but an overall feeling that Dogma and organized religion as a whole has it flaws. I for one have a hard time believing that any one church faith or denomination has it right after all everyone of them has had it's laws written down and interpreted by man and as we all know man is fallible. And man tends to be competitive so then we get the I'm better than you. I attend more services or I can quote more scripture therefore I am the better more faithful ( Insert Religion Here).

Do you really believe that the different faiths all have it right? I guess we should over look all these small problems that have come about through man trying to decided what is best for his fellow man in the name of God things like a small problem in Northern Ireland, The Conversion/extermination of Native People, Witch Hunts, Inquisition, Feeding Christians to Lions, Killing of Jews during the Holocaust as well as during the plague, The Crusades, Jihad, Religious riots in India between Hindu and Muslim and on and on and on. More people have been slaughtered in the "name" of God due to religious beliefs than anything else.

So if you think that my answers have been Catholic Bigotry you are off base it is much bigger than that. As someone once said I am not prejudice I hate everyone. That would be close to it I believe it is a personal relationship between the creator and the creation.

Most of these posts including mine have gotten away from the OP. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem. And I do mean that sincerely. If you were hiking in my area I would offer a ride but you will be well north of me. Possibly some of the posters on here will be willing to do the same.
Not true, might wanna check yo history
Stalin killed millions
Edie Amien
Lots of others with nothing to do with religion

bull
01-03-2010, 09:22

WOW ! Keep digging the hole. The light shines on a true bigot. The hate. The ignorance. Admit you are an anti catholic. This form of bigotry is still accepted most everywhere. Insert ; Islam, Athiest, Black, Mexican, Jew, German, Italian, Hillbilly etc... you would be denounced for expressing your views.
But, thank God... we live in the United States of America. Here you can say or think what you want and ignorance & stupidity are not outlawed yet !
Mike

sheepdog
01-03-2010, 09:22
Thought I was being civil. Can anyone dispute the fact that everything I posted was true?
Easy to focus on negative. Put your faith in people and religeon you will be disapointed. Put your faith in Christ you will never be dissapointed.

Rockhound
01-03-2010, 09:26
Easy to focus on negative. Put your faith in people and religeon you will be disapointed. Put your faith in Christ you will never be dissapointed.
Hence my post indicating that leaving the Catholic church would be a very Christian thing to do.

sheepdog
01-03-2010, 09:30
Hence my post indicating that leaving the Catholic church would be a very Christian thing to do.
There are still some very good Chrisitian people in the Catholic Church. Why not try to make things better from were you are?

modiyooch
01-03-2010, 09:32
Thought I was being civil. Can anyone dispute the fact that everything I posted was true?I can dispute, but I won't bother because I think that you are way off base esp in light of the intent of the thread. hyoh worship as you see fit.

superman
01-03-2010, 10:27
Y’all, haven't even mentioned the most important aspect of the Catholic Church. The next time a loved one is possessed who ya gonna call. It's always the papists. Nobody ever asks for the reverend from the easygoing feel good church. Nobody ever looks to the Muslims, Hindus or Jews to cast the demon out. :)

mister krabs
01-03-2010, 10:35

Yes, I can.

You said "not through good deeds or helping others or anything"

Man, you're so ignorant I feel sorry for you. Catholics are one of the few Christian denominations that REQUIRES charity and good works for salvation.

The seven practices of charity toward our neighbor, based on Christ’s prophecy of the Last Judgment, that will determine each person’s final destiny:
Feed the hungry
Give drink to the thirsty
Clothe the naked
Shelter the homeless
Visit the sick
Visit those in prison
Bury the dead

Catholic charities is the largest charitable organization in the world, servicing the needs of over 8 MILLION people just here in the US. 90 cents of every dollar donated to them goes to helping people. The only entity that serves the needs of more of the nation's poor is the federal government and none does it more efficiently.

Not through good deeds and helping others, my ass. Screw civility. You're an ignorant moran.

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 10:52
Not true, might wanna check yo history
Stalin killed millions
Edie Amien
Lots of others with nothing to do with religion

Ok I'll agree to that but we can not ignore the fact that many many people have died defending faiths. Even between those who procalim to worship the same God killing one another becasue it's not worshiped in excactly the same way and there for it is somehow an abominiation.

sheepdog
01-03-2010, 11:28
Ok I'll agree to that but we can not ignore the fact that many many people have died defending faiths. Even between those who procalim to worship the same God killing one another becasue it's not worshiped in excactly the same way and there for it is somehow an abominiation.
That's why it would be wise to find out if the one you follow truely is a person of God. Often an evil person will use religeon for their own nefarious purposes.

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 11:46
That's why it would be wise to fine out if the one you follow truely is a person of God. Often an evil person will use religeon for their own nefarious purposes.

Becareful with that statement you have to keep in mind that most of the major religions that people follow have fallen into this trap, Crusades etc. I agree with you that there are pleanty who try to bend the words of any religous text to support their goals.

Lilred
01-03-2010, 13:02
Yes, I can.

You said "not through good deeds or helping others or anything"

Man, you're so ignorant I feel sorry for you. Catholics are one of the few Christian denominations that REQUIRES charity and good works for salvation.

The seven practices of charity toward our neighbor, based on Christ’s prophecy of the Last Judgment, that will determine each person’s final destiny:
Feed the hungry
Give drink to the thirsty
Clothe the naked
Shelter the homeless
Visit the sick
Visit those in prison
Bury the dead

Catholic charities is the largest charitable organization in the world, servicing the needs of over 8 MILLION people just here in the US. 90 cents of every dollar donated to them goes to helping people. The only entity that serves the needs of more of the nation's poor is the federal government and none does it more efficiently.

Not through good deeds and helping others, my ass. Screw civility. You're an ignorant moran.

Wow, where to start. The fact that the Catholic church REQUIRES good works is where the problem lies.

The bible clearly states, faith without works is dead. It also says works alone will not get you into heaven. The fact the Catholic church requires works, means those without faith still think they'll get in heaven if they do good works. It's a double edged sword really. I was a catholic for 18 years, was raised in the church and attended catholic school.

Believe me when I tell you, it is all about the money, and my earlier comment about paying dues up front is a legitamate suggestion. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP goes to his priest and finds the priest suggesting such a route.

You pay for things with the Catholic church. Want an annullment? only if you have the money. Want an exorcism? Only if you have the money. The entire Protestant religion started because the Catholic Church was allowing people to pay to get to heaven. The Vatican is one of the richest entities in the world. Look it up.
To those that are yelling bigot, bigotry is directed towards individual people. You cannot have bigotry towards an institution. There has not been a single bigotted remark made to any individual, so let's get off the bashing of Protestants that disagree with church dogma.

Oh, and nice comment on that last line of yours. I don't recall anyone else calling the OP or anyone else and ignorant moron. Guess you showed us all your true colors.... LOL

kombiguy
01-03-2010, 13:05
Yes the Catholic church is wonderful. Just look at all they've done. The crusades,(just kill anyone who wont convert, how very Christian) pedophile priests, turning a blind eye towards slavery, ignoring the rights of women, and continuing to amass disgusting amounts of wealth while one billion people on the planet go hungry each day. Not through good deeds or helping others or anything. . Eveyone is free to believe whatever they want. I just feel that if more Catholics did a little investigating they would leave the Catholic church. This is not to say they they would stop being Christians. In fact many would be acting on their faith when they chose to leave. Just my opinion and if ruffles a few feathers my apologies.
"Thought I was being civil. Can anyone dispute the fact that everything I posted was true?"

Civil? Civil? Surely you jest. Yes, I can and will dispute your version of the truth. I do on a daily basis when faced with your type of bigotry.

If I were more knowledgeable, I'd leave the Church? So we're all ignorant boobs? The Church that gave the world Mendel and Copernicus, and the scientific method?
The Church doesn't help people? The Church that invented colleges and hospitals? The Church that feeds the hungry, cares for the sick and dying the world over? The Church that gave us the Alexians and Mother Theresa?
The Crusades, civil matter. Read some history.
Pedophiles, guilty. Poor judgement by Church heirarchy, guilty again. Reparations: as much as possible, given the circumstances. Percentage of pedophiles in the priesthood: smaller than national average.
Wealth? The Church has operated in the red for years. Sell all its art and historical treasure? Then who will save it for the public?
Acting on faith to leave the Church? So I'm not a good Christian because I stay Catholic?
Saying sorry if it ruffles feathers is like saying "sorry about that burning cross on your lawn. Just my opinion."
You're an anti-Catholic bigot. You're part of a narrow minded ignorant group of know nothings. Why not just man up and admit it?

Alligator
01-03-2010, 13:07

Thanks for your input!The OP was looking for help in finding Catholic churches.