PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare to hike Bare(foot)?

Doctari
09-07-2004, 09:13
I would love to hike barefoot. But my feet are fairly tender.
What I have done:
I spent many hours every weekend for 8 weeks this year outside barefoot, mostly in grass, but on some gravel, I even walked to my local K-mart, about 3 miles RT, barefooted.
In addition to the extra barefooting I have done, I go barefot as much as I can when outside, only wear shoes when cutting the grass.
What I found:
My feet are somewhat tougher, but decidedly not trail worthy, altho the 3 miles of walking on concrete caused no FOOT discomfort.
During the 3 mile walk, the backs of my calves HURT LIKE H*** (I did forget to stretch).

Summation: I have roughtly 40 miles of walking barefoot this year (about 2 to 3 miles per day, weekends) some of it on gravel &/or concrete.
What else can I do to improve my barefoot trail walking ability?
Right now I cannot add miles to barefooting as I am working almost 7 days a week.
Is there anything I can apply to my feet to help toughen them?

Thanks!

orangebug
09-07-2004, 09:21
Why do you want to do this? Man invented shoes for a reason. You've worn shoes for 99.99999% of your life.

I expect that like getting trail legs, one has to do the deed to make your feet tough enough.

But why would you want to do this to yourself?

Bill...

Blue Jay
09-07-2004, 09:50
But why would you want to do this to yourself?

Bill...

90% of Americans would say the same thing about thruhiking. You want to be cold, wet, tired and hungry for months. Why would you want to do that to yourself?

orangebug
09-07-2004, 09:54
Good reason to be a section hiker! I only get to be wet, cold, hot, tired, sore and hunger for days at a time! :banana

Bill....

Lion King
09-07-2004, 10:05
I would suggest taking a sledgehammer and banging the arch of your foot repeatedly for 8 hours a day, take an hour break, wash your face, and begin hitting your arches again.

The barefoot sisters did it, and continue to do it, but it isnt for everyone.

Until you begin your hike, walk on stumps, sharp rocks, roots, deep mud, stinging neddles, wet steep rock that has a sharp incline, walk in grass that hides nubs left over from fallen trees, kick your toes into rocks that you cant see that stick up behind the grass a quarter of an inch, and you will get a small idea of what to look forward to...me I love my shoes.

Lion King
walkingwithfreedom.com

Peaks
09-07-2004, 18:24
Those that hike barefoot will probably develop arch problems, unless they have flat feet to begin with. Myself, I use Superfeet for a good reason.

highway
09-08-2004, 09:05
..... You've worn shoes for 99.99999% of your life.
Bill...
I guess going barefoot is just a normal desire.Remember that our species has NOT worn shoes for maybe the same above percentage of its existence. :-?

But we have worn sandals much longer, though :D

As a boy growing up in the wilds of rural Georgia, I recall that other than for Sunday religious services or family get-togethers where I had to dress nicer, that I seldom wore shoes during the summer months after school. It was normal then and I recall considerably more pleasure than discomfort doing it. I don't think it takes long to toughen (callous) up the bottoms of the feet:) :)

cshir003
10-07-2004, 23:35
though I love to leave the shoes at home, I don't think I could hike barefoot. It seems that even if your feet built up calluses thick engough to keep you comfortable they would peel off before they were useful, plus the shock from no shoes would mess with your bones. good luck to you though, let me know if it works out.

Bandana Man
10-08-2004, 01:51
I would love to hike barefoot.

hope you don't mind being asked this, but could you explain why? What is the attraction? Just curious because I saw someone hiking the AT barefoot. It was a wet, cold, miserable day, too. But he seemed to be doing fine.

Tha Wookie
10-08-2004, 02:33
hope you don't mind being asked this, but could you explain why? What is the attraction? Just curious because I saw someone hiking the AT barefoot. It was a wet, cold, miserable day, too. But he seemed to be doing fine.

Wearing shoes while hiking is like wearing a condom.

Bandana Man
10-08-2004, 02:40
LOL :jump

Well, on that same subject, life begins when the kids move out and the wife gets a hysterectomy... :banana

oyvay
10-11-2004, 22:17
There are websites about barefoot hiking and can go into better detail about the hows and whys. barefooters.com is one, I'm sure you can google more.

Doctari
10-12-2004, 01:11
Thanks for all the replies, both for & against.

In answer to Bandana Man: I spent most weekends of April May & June this year Barefoot all day, outside (mostly in grass) and I loved it. I have always hated shoes, but wore the darn things anyway. I still cannot walk on gravel, was getting better, but my free weekends are gone till next year so the feet are almost back to "normal". BTW, good answer Wookie :-)

Also: With having the FSO weight down to 22 Lbs, with 2+ Lb pair of boots, I figured I could cut the weight more by loosing the boots. Will still carry ultra light shoes for in town & the many "Shoes & shirt required" signs.

Thanks to oyvay, I never thought to google, I know: "Duh". I Found quite a few helpful web sites, Thanks again!!!!

Doctari.

stranger
10-12-2004, 01:44
I don't see the point in "trying" to hike barefoot. There are many options out there in terms of footware and to be honest I can't see the point in "trying" to do something different for the sake of doing something different. Your feet obviously aren't in the condition to hike barefoot, and your back will not appreciate it either, so why try to force something that really makes no sense. You may like to walk around barefoot...that's great. But getting through GA is a different story.

If it's natural to you and your lifestyle...go for it, but if you are striving to do something that your body clearly does not want to do...then you might wanna consider why you are doing it at all.

highway
10-12-2004, 12:30
... and to be honest I can't see the point in "trying" to do something different for the sake of doing something different.

There are two types of people:

Those who lead and those who follow.

You go for it.

Besides, our species have gone barefoot for far longer than we have used footwear, probably the reverse of that 99.999999% earlier post
:p

The Solemates
10-12-2004, 12:36
this is hilarious.

gravityman
10-12-2004, 13:29
There are two types of people:

Those who lead and those who follow.

You go for it.

Besides, our species have gone barefoot for far longer than we have used footwear, probably the reverse of that 99.999999% earlier post
:p

Yes, and we had a life span of about 25-30 years so the feet didn't have as long to wear out.

But might as well try. It can't hurt. Well, actually, it can, but you can always put shoes back on :)

Gravity Man

highway
10-12-2004, 18:31
Yes, and we had a life span of about 25-30 years so the feet didn't have as long to wear out....Gravity Man

That's a good point. Touché :D

Moose2001
10-12-2004, 18:49
Doctari.....does this mean you're giving up your ballet slippers???

Doctari
10-12-2004, 20:32
Doctari.....does this mean you're giving up your ballet slippers???

Course NOT!!! :D
They are the "Ultra light shoes" I mentioned.

OH, and Stranger: I ALWAYS do things different, many/most times simply for the reaction I get from "Normals" :p :D Barefoot Is just one more "gotcha" I want to try. Besides, I think it will be fun, at least during warm weather, and I consider warm to be anything above 50 F.

Doctari.

Tha Wookie
10-12-2004, 20:46
25-30 years is BS

FatMan
10-12-2004, 20:50
How to prepare to hike Bare(foot)?

Pack plenty of Liquor and plenty of bandages.:jump

sleeveless
10-12-2004, 21:09
I guess you have absolutely no idea what the rocks and trails are like in NH. Hiking with boots a couple of hikes ago my friend commented that somebody must have put all the rocks in that trail in positon so that the sharp edge was up and that was your steppng surface. You are nuts, esp. since you can't even walk on gravel.

Pencil Pusher
10-17-2004, 18:57
Doesn't common sense prevail on how to prepare to hike barefoot? To each their own... I think trailjournals.com has some entries and photos of the barefoot sisters that hiked some or most of the AT barefoot.

smokymtnsteve
10-17-2004, 18:59
25-30 years is BS

I agree all the old men in the Bible lived to hundreds of years old. :D

grrickar
10-17-2004, 21:31
How to prepare to hike Bare(foot)?

Pack plenty of Liquor and plenty of bandages.:jump
I'd say carry several rolls of duct tape and prescription pain killers. That should do the trick...

orangebug
10-17-2004, 23:11
I was going to suggest a sharp stick in the eye to get distracted from the foot pain.

smokymtnsteve
10-18-2004, 08:23
I would suggest contacting the BAREFOOT SISTERS and ask them to hike with you a few days...that is what I would do do do!

c.coyle
10-18-2004, 11:30
I would love to hike barefoot. But my feet are fairly tender. ... Is there anything I can apply to my feet to help toughen them?

Soak your feet, two hours per day, for at least two months, in a solution made of equal parts of (1) balsamic vinegar, (2) 10W40 motor oil, and (3) the blood of a young goat. This has never been known to fail.

The Solemates
10-18-2004, 11:52
c.coyle, are you sure its the blood of a young goat? Ive always heard you had to use the blood of an African yellow-tailed prarie dog.

gravityman
10-18-2004, 11:59
25-30 years is BS

That's a great way to back up your claim. Gesh... What a load...

Here's one of MANY sources. Okay 25-30 was a little low. 30-35 is closer... This is limited to Greece :

The Stone Age

Neolithic Period I (8th millennium - 4500 BC)
Cyprus, though a small island, has always played an important role in the history of the Mediterranean, far exceeding its size. The first signs of undisputed human activity can be traced back to the 8th millennium BC when the first settlements are encountered. Vestiges of such early communities are found all over the island, such as at Khirokitia, Kalavasos-Tenta, Apostolos Andreas-Kastros, Phrenaros, Petra tou Limniti etc.

Neolithic Cypriots built circular houses with small undressed stones for the lower structures and sun-dried mudbricks and clay for the middle and superstructure.
The daily life of the people in those neolithic villages was spent in farming, hunting, animal husbandry and the lithic industry, while women were engaged in spindling and weaving cloths, in addition to their probable participation in other activities. The lithic industry was the most individual feature of this aceramic culture and innumerable stone vessels made of grey andesite have been discovered during excavations.

Plant remains indicate the cultivation of cereals, lentils, beans, peas and a kind of plum called Bullace. Remains of the following animal species were recovered during excavations: Persian fallow deer, goat, sheep, moufflon and pig. More remains indicate Red deer, Roe deer, a kind of horse and a kind of dog but no cattle as yet.

Life expectancy was very short; the average age at death was about 34 years, and there was a very high infant mortality rate.

And another : "They rarely lived beyond the age of 35..." http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/w/x/wxk116/axe/

c.coyle
10-18-2004, 18:09

Precisely. Going without may feel better at first, but ............ :cool:

Doctari
10-18-2004, 23:43
Soak your feet, two hours per day, for at least two months, in a solution made of equal parts of (1) balsamic vinegar, (2) 10W40 motor oil, and (3) the blood of a young goat. This has never been known to fail.

OK, got plenty of #s 1 & 3, but do I use new 10W40 motor oil or used???? Also, the goat blood seems to go rancid on me after only about 12 hrs, any idea how to prevent this??

Thanks, that was the silliest reply yet. Made me smile.

c.coyle
10-19-2004, 13:34
OK, got plenty of #s 1 & 3, but do I use new 10W40 motor oil or used???? Also, the goat blood seems to go rancid on me after only about 12 hrs, any idea how to prevent this??

Thanks, that was the silliest reply yet. Made me smile.

Well, you made me think of that old section hiker, Bill Shakespeare (trail name: Dick The Butcher):

Bubble Bubble Toil and Trouble!

"Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake:
eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
for a charm of pow'rful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

-Second Witch, "Macbeth," IV: 1

This hikin' sure is serious business. :D

minnesotasmith
10-21-2004, 07:10
Is like section hiking without carrying any food (eating only at towns), or any water containers (figuring on drinking only untreated water cupped in hand directly from water sources on/near the Trail). It may be doable, but would IMNSHO be a miserable, unsafe way to hike with no gain of any kind to show for it, saving only having a unique (even bizarre) brag afterwards.

Naahhh... I'd have to have been dropped on my head a few too many times while young to consider barefooting the AT.