PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap Parking

bigben
12-31-2009, 16:17
I've been there numerous times and know the parking lot is huge and that there's always people there. But is it safe to park a car there for a week? I'm talking first week of May.

Thanks,

Bigben

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 16:19
It should be safe there, but why do it? You could completely go thru the GSMNP in 5-7 days. Better to park at either end, then catch a ride back or walk back to your car (shuttle to start point).

sidebackside
12-31-2009, 16:27
I've been there numerous times and know the parking lot is huge and that there's always people there. But is it safe to park a car there for a week? I'm talking first week of May.

Thanks,

Bigben

Depending on the hike your taking flemdawg has a good point. I live 50miles from the Smokies and hike there all the time. In fact, it's about the only place I hike. I'll actually be heading north on the AT from NewFound Gap in 3wks. for a couple days and will be living my car there. Like you said, there's always alot of people up there and rangers seem to stop in pretty regularly from the times I've been there. I wouldn't worry about it.

bigben
12-31-2009, 18:47
I would love to do the whole Smokies section at once, but being as we are starting at the NOC and I only have 7 days to hike, it just makes sense to end at Newfound Gap. We'll finish there, drive down into G-burg and stay in a hotel, probably the Grand Prix, and then drive home to Cincinnati the next day.

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 19:24
I would love to do the whole Smokies section at once, but being as we are starting at the NOC and I only have 7 days to hike, it just makes sense to end at Newfound Gap. We'll finish there, drive down into G-burg and stay in a hotel, probably the Grand Prix, and then drive home to Cincinnati the next day.
See if you can park at the Grand Prix and hitch into GBurg. I wouldn't leave my car a NFG.