PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad

gruntledpainter
12-31-2009, 16:38
I need a sleeping pad but I don't want to spend 40 gazillion bucks on a Thermarest.

I have seen some really basic closed-cell foam pads that are 1/2" thick that are really cheap and really light, I am just wondering if it will be comfortable AT ALL.

Also I have heard of people using yoga mats as their sleeping pads, which are pretty small-packing, and fairly light.

What do you guys use and why do you like it? Thanks!

Feral Bill
12-31-2009, 16:41
I'm old enough to want the padding of a Thermarest, but or 10 bucks or so see for yourself. Many people are happy with the blue foam pads, some even prefer them. A younger person like yourself should be fine.

BobTheBuilder
12-31-2009, 17:07
When it's 3 a.m. and you can't get to sleep because the ground is hard and your pack is cheap, a gazillion bucks seems like a deal. Then again, at 22, you might sleep just fine. You will spend about 10 hours a night on your pad, so the investment to get what is comfortable is probably worth it.

mark schofield
12-31-2009, 17:16
go to WalMart and look at their "blue" pad

white_russian
12-31-2009, 17:20
i am one of the younggins who can sleep on the hard ground just fine. This is what I use.

foambymail.com

look under volara and you can get any size or thickness you want

bigcranky
12-31-2009, 17:41
Yoga mats are relatively heavy and not comfortable at all.

Closed cell foam mats (the Wallymart blue pad) offer good insulation, and are moderately comfortable. Better on the forest floor or soft grass than in a shelter.

Shaped closed cell foam pads (Ridgerest, Z-Light) offer a little more comfort. All sorts of CCF pads are light, but bulky.

Self-inflating pads are made of soft open cell foam covered in fabric, like the Thermarest brand. You blow them up a little. They can be much more comfortable than CCF, but they are heavier and can puncture.

Inflating pads (Neoair, BA Air Core), can be 2.5-3 inches thick, and very comfortable. They take longer to blow up and can puncture, but they can be very light and take up very little space inside your pack.

CCF advantages: light weight, easy to use for breaks, can't puncture, cheap. Disadvantages: less comfort, bulky.

Thermarest advantages: comfort, packability. Disadvantages: cost, durability, weight.

Air pad advantages: comfort. Small pack size. Some are very light. Disadvantages: durability, cost.

I have been using the Thermarest Prolite 4 (regular size) since 2003. No leaks, no punctures, no problems. Very comfortable, and it fits in the pad pocket of my pack. My partner got a BA Insulated Air Core last year, and LOVES it. Says it was the best sleep he ever got on the ground.

Lucy Lulu
12-31-2009, 17:47
I think I've tried just about every pad available (Thermarest, Neoair, Big Agnes, Ridgerest, z-rest, etc). In 08 I started the PCT with the blue pad from Wal-mart, and was quite suprised to find it very comfortable. It's kinda big and bulky, but I just strapped it onto the back of the pack, and hardle noticed it at all, except when sitting in the pack. It kept me and the pack propped up quite nicely.

gruntledpainter
12-31-2009, 18:08
I think I've tried just about every pad available (Thermarest, Neoair, Big Agnes, Ridgerest, z-rest, etc). In 08 I started the PCT with the blue pad from Wal-mart, and was quite suprised to find it very comfortable. It's kinda big and bulky, but I just strapped it onto the back of the pack, and hardle noticed it at all, except when sitting in the pack. It kept me and the pack propped up quite nicely.

yeah, I figure with the blue pad, what can go wrong? Plus it's cheap so if I need to upgrade at Neel's gap it won't mean I'm losing a lot of money.

Toolshed
12-31-2009, 18:32
If you find 1 wally blue pad isn't enough ($5.99), get a second - you can't go wrong for $12 with a 22 year old back. 30+ year old backs need more relative comfort.

garlic08
12-31-2009, 20:56
It might depend a little on where you plan on sleeping. I'm older and use a cheap CCF pad, but I cannot sleep on plank floors with it. I look for soft leaves or grass to pitch on, and almost always do pretty well finding a soft spot. On the AT, I found plenty of campsites with deep leaf duff where the pad was not even needed. But I spent a couple of nights on shelter or AMC hut floors, and they were memorably horrible.

Pacific Tortuga
12-31-2009, 21:00
Eat more and carry your own padding, works for me until I hit the 200 mile marker at least. :cool:

Lyle
12-31-2009, 21:20
At your age, my recommendation would be this:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html?id=vfhkobJq:76.226.219.24

$16, under 4 oz. I've used it for years and do ok, but being older, I do like the added padding of a Thermarest. This NightLight is more comfy than the simple blue pads.

For early on, I would use a combination of this and blue pad for the extra, full length insulation.

I disagree with the review linked to on the site in regard to not being good for shelter floors. It isn't bad. And that's the opinion of a 56 year old. At 22 you will probably sleep like a baby.

Tinker
12-31-2009, 21:28
It depends on where you're sleeping, mainly. I tried using a ccf pad when I hiked Georgia's section in 2006. Not too comfortable. I picked up a Ridgerest in a hiker box and added that to the ccf pad. Still no good - and that's on the ground (in a tent). When I finished my hike at the Ga./NC line, I turned around and stopped at the first shelter I came to before the road. I arrived late and decided to sleep in the shelter.
BIG MISTAKE. When you're on the ground you can find hollows to cradle your hips and shoulders. A shelter floor is completely unforgiving. I was miserable, got up numerous times, waking half the folks there. I wouldn't try it again. Back home I had a perfectly good Thermarest, too. I picked a bad time to experiment!

Blissful
12-31-2009, 23:26
Ridgerest or Z rest doesn't cost much

JoshStover
12-31-2009, 23:28
Go with the Z-rest. I love mine and its pretty light. Doesnt pack up small but just put it under the lid of your pack oor lash it to the outside.

Mags
01-01-2010, 14:40
30+ year old backs need more relative comfort.

This 35+ person swears by the blue foamer.

I fold it up and use it as stay in my frameless pack so bulk is not a concern.

Cut down, my foam pad weighs just over 5 oz. I find it comfortable enough for me. (Even at home, I prefer a very firm mattress however)

boarstone
01-01-2010, 20:09
Right now at Campmor...#47724 thermarest ridgerest cell foam pad short..$20

moon_whisperer
01-01-2010, 20:21
I love the Z-lite. Comes pretty bulky from the manufacturer, but trim off about 4 panels and it'll fit fine in your pack

Toolshed
01-01-2010, 21:03
This 35+ person swears by the blue foamer.

I fold it up and use it as stay in my frameless pack so bulk is not a concern.

Cut down, my foam pad weighs just over 5 oz. I find it comfortable enough for me. (Even at home, I prefer a very firm mattress however)
In aggregate, Mags.... Aggregate.....:D

gruntledpainter
01-02-2010, 00:05
At your age, my recommendation would be this:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html?id=vfhkobJq:76.226.219.24

$16, under 4 oz. I've used it for years and do ok, but being older, I do like the added padding of a Thermarest. This NightLight is more comfy than the simple blue pads.

For early on, I would use a combination of this and blue pad for the extra, full length insulation.

I disagree with the review linked to on the site in regard to not being good for shelter floors. It isn't bad. And that's the opinion of a 56 year old. At 22 you will probably sleep like a baby.

This looks interesting. I might grab one of these and use with a blue pad. Again, if I find it's completely uncomfortable, I can get something else. But I'm trying to pack as light and small as possible, of course. These are all good suggestions though. Looks like everyone has their own deal going on, even when it comes to sleeping pads!

toothpick
01-02-2010, 00:20
The cheap green pads are not very comfy at all except to carry. They don't do much to soften a wood floor in the shelter but you will get used to them over time.

ChrisFol
01-02-2010, 05:26
Personally I just use the Therm-a-Rest deluxe regular. Granted it weighs more than the non deluxe, but for the 5 extra ounces the +0.5 R-Value give the illusion of comfort and insulation in three season conditions. It is also bulky when rolled up-- but stick to the outside of your pack and you won't even notice it. If you need extra insulation then a blue pad ($7.50-$17 at REI) is all you need.

My FIL loves his REI Trekker at just under 3lbs, but that is far to heavy for me, but he just can't seem to part with it-- probably because I have picked up most of the additional weight. BP with the in-laws can be a nightmare!

tuswm
01-02-2010, 23:29
I know that you can often find termarest pads at places like bass pro shop and gander mountain for about half the price under the store brand and different colors.

I have tried lots of pads, I hate non full langth pads, squar pads are much better when trying to "mate" sleeping bags. inflatable pads dont last long near cactuses, and foam pads suck on hard wood floors, 7 blue pads are more confy on the ground then a $40 zrest, foam is eazier to pack and set up, foam pads are great for throwing on the ground for a rest on a rock or at a stream or a nice view where inflatable pads would take too long or might puncture.IMHO

Hikes in Rain
01-07-2010, 07:36
You can sometimes find Thermorest pads as "seconds" at Campmor, too. My new one had "minor color defects" that in four years I still haven't been able to find. Perhaps the various stains it's collected in that time have masked them.

Connie
01-08-2010, 00:03
I have a Volara closed cell foam mat and a NeoAir.

I like that combination.

Suluk46 (http://suluk46.com/products.html) has a Padded Ground Sheet and a Padded Frame Sheet that look like a good combination, or use only one or the other.

warraghiyagey
01-08-2010, 00:07
I have a Volare closed cell foam mat and a NeoAir.

I like that combination.
I use that as well... it's a fantastic sleeping pad. . . :)

take-a-knee
01-08-2010, 00:17
A Z-rest or long Ridgerest and an XS (36in) thermarest Prolite (8 oz.)

maddawgg
01-10-2010, 20:24
What weight should you shoot for when choosing a sleeping pad?

J-Fro
01-10-2010, 21:28
Consider time of year you are going, R value is important along with the fill in your bag. I'm using Thermarest with R value of 3.8, never been cold on a shelter floor, but some chilly on frozen ground.

bigcranky
01-10-2010, 21:32
What weight should you shoot for when choosing a sleeping pad?

That depends on a lot of things: your comfort level, your budget, which pack you use (since some packs require a certain sleeping pad for their support,) the expected temperatures, etc.

You can get a <8 ounce closed cell foam pad, or a 4-pound inflatable mattress, or anything in between.