PDA

View Full Version : ONF hiking 3,4 or 5 days

off-pher
12-31-2009, 17:07
I'm going next week starting point is Alexander springs north to Rodman.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to come along. Must like dogs I'm bringing mine. I'll be starting on the 5 of Jan. That's next tue. Meeting place will be the campground at Alexander springs. If anyone wants to go. I'll be there 9:00 am sharp.

off-pher
01-08-2010, 15:19
You guys and gals missed a great hike! It was a little cold but was fun. I did not see anyone on the trail i did see some hunters. I also saw a big bear some deer and other assorted wildlife. This morning i saw a huge Eagle! That made the trip even better.
Untill next time SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chiefduffy
01-09-2010, 01:19
I hiked the FT almost every weekend last winter and never saw another hiker. Never saw a bear either - I am extremely jealous!!!!

BumpJumper
01-11-2010, 11:21
Off...I want to go this week.

off-pher
01-11-2010, 14:38
Bump, what do you have in mind? I can't go until thru. or fri. maybe wed. after noon.
I'm haveing my boat pulled and dry docked to be cleaned tomorrow. I've got to go to Jacksonville wed. morning.

58starter
01-11-2010, 15:13
I live in Davenport, I might be up for 3 or 4 hike if I have time in advance to get ready.

BumpJumper
01-11-2010, 20:20
Off may be interested in a 3or4. I cannot.

Off...did you get my email?

off-pher
01-11-2010, 20:36
Bump, Yes i did. If you go i'll be there. Sane person that was funny!!!

off-pher
01-11-2010, 20:41
I live in Davenport, I might be up for 3 or 4 hike if I have time in advance to get ready.

Hey 58 I just got back from 3days on the trail. I can't go again
until feb. I can do some day hikes or maybe an overnighter. What do you have in mind?

BumpJumper
01-11-2010, 22:33
Off, I think I asked you something else.

East Coast Alex
03-19-2010, 22:27
I'm going next week starting point is Alexander springs north to Rodman.

Having just moved to Florida, albeit temporarily for a few months in transit to a much nicer mountain state, I started eyeballing the Ocala National Forest as one of my first hikes in this state. The literature say's the Florida Trail which passes through it is around a 60 mile stretch, which sounds like a nice multi-day trip.

Can anyone who has done the Ocala National Forest section of the Florida Trail tell me what you thought of it both scenery-wise, as well as level of exertion wise.

Also, does the trail offer a lot of shade from the forest for most of the journey, or does it have vast sections in the open?

This state is ridiculously flat (Kansas x 1,000), so the notion of any trail offering any degree of challenge, other than that of pure endurance, seems questionable, but nonetheless, I ask anyway.

I read the Croom trail area offers a better challenge. The Citrus trail is also supposed to be mildly challenging. Any FL guys do these?

Croom supposedly is used by some Floridians as a way to train for the Appalachian Trail, but I am totally not seeing how that is remotely possible, considering 345 feet is the maximum elevation in this state.

moytoy
03-20-2010, 10:41
Having just moved to Florida, albeit temporarily for a few months in transit to a much nicer mountain state, I started eyeballing the Ocala National Forest as one of my first hikes in this state. The literature say's the Florida Trail which passes through it is around a 60 mile stretch, which sounds like a nice multi-day trip.

Can anyone who has done the Ocala National Forest section of the Florida Trail tell me what you thought of it both scenery-wise, as well as level of exertion wise.

Also, does the trail offer a lot of shade from the forest for most of the journey, or does it have vast sections in the open?

This state is ridiculously flat (Kansas x 1,000), so the notion of any trail offering any degree of challenge, other than that of pure endurance, seems questionable, but nonetheless, I ask anyway.

I read the Croom trail area offers a better challenge. The Citrus trail is also supposed to be mildly challenging. Any FL guys do these?

Croom supposedly is used by some Floridians as a way to train for the Appalachian Trail, but I am totally not seeing how that is remotely possible, considering 345 feet is the maximum elevation in this state.

How do I say this? It is what it is! The FT offers a very unique hiking experience. But I'm not going to try to sell it to you because you seem to already have decided that it's not good enough for you. ONF is easy hiking throug scrub oak and pine forest. There are a few open areas where the growth is very close to the ground (old burn areas). If your so inclined go try it. You might just have fun.

East Coast Alex
03-25-2010, 20:14
How do I say this? It is what it is! The FT offers a very unique hiking experience. But I'm not going to try to sell it to you because you seem to already have decided that it's not good enough for you. ONF is easy hiking through scrub oak and pine forest. There are a few open areas where the growth is very close to the ground (old burn areas). If your so inclined go try it. You might just have fun.

Well, I've decided to do it. :)

Shooting for within two or three weeks start time. I am just waiting for it to warm up a tad more at night, as I'd like to have to carry less sleeping gear, as I am looking to fastpack it, maybe see how quick I can finish it. Going to trail run part of it...

Probably not going to go out of my way to go too fast. I want to stop and smell the roses once in a while.... but I'll see if I can finish the 67 mile section in maybe under two and a half days. Or perhaps, maybe three or three and a half if I decided I want to hit some of the fresh water springs that are in the park and go for a nice swim.... I'll take a little diversion.

East Coast Alex
05-25-2010, 01:16
Well, I've decided to do it. :)

Shooting for within two or three weeks start time. I am just waiting for it to warm up a tad more at night, as I'd like to have to carry less sleeping gear, as I am looking to fastpack it, maybe see how quick I can finish it. Going to trail run part of it...

Probably not going to go out of my way to go too fast. I want to stop and smell the roses once in a while.... but I'll see if I can finish the 67 mile section in maybe under two and a half days. Or perhaps, maybe three or three and a half if I decided I want to hit some of the fresh water springs that are in the park and go for a nice swim.... I'll take a little diversion.

^^^^ Well, since I last wrote that about two months ago.... I have since done the trail. Here are a few of my impressions. I'm kind of a "tough grade" so I may sound a bit harsh or unfair, or not open minded on a point or two, but I have some good things to say, as well.

(1) My first impression is that the Florida trail, at least the portion going through Ocala National Park, was amazingly well marked. It would be really, really hard to get lost on this trail, such that you'd have to make a concerted effort to get lost.

The big swath of fire sections interfered with the marking a bit, but even in the fire strewn sections, the path was still visible, and the volunteers managed to erect blazes where they could.

I'd give the marking a 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I've rarely seen better. I never once got lost at an intersection. The only area where you sometimes lose your bearing for a brief time, are when you have to cross roads, cross large fields, or cross power line easements. Sometimes the trail isn't directly across from where you are.... but I usually found where the trail picks up on the other side in a matter of 2 minutes, or less.

(2) The trail was extremely flat. About what I expected. I generally don't much care for flat trails, but that's a personal preference thing, so I can't take points or give points, either way.

The cool thing about the absurd level of flatness is that it might make for a great record attempt for the Florida Trail. A trail runner would smoke this trail so fast, it would make for an impressive record.

(3) The sand on the trails did not seem nearly as bad as other people made it out to be. It was a "sandy" trail, but it was not "sand." Meaning, it was just a superficial skim coat of sand... it certainly was not like a beach, like many people had led on.

I came from a place prior, where these were the exact kind of trails we had... so I am totally used to it.

(4) As flat as it was, I have to admit for some odd reason.. I was tired as hell... and my pace was pretty damned slow. Either the God forsaken Florida heat just completely wiped me of all my athletic ability, or the aforementioned sand which I had just said was not very sandy, actually was.... when you take miles and miles of distance, in aggregate. Maybe it just took its toll. My calves were just absolutely killing me after 12 miles, each day.

(5) The fire stricken blight. It almost seemed as if the entirety of the park was nothing but one big burn zone. Blech. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

This is one of the pitfalls of leaving government in charge of land, in my opinion. This doesn't usually happen when people tend to their own land, and manage it as if it was their own. It's not that government is negligent, or caused any of it.... it's just a byproduct of hording the commons. Anyway, I digress.

(6) I was a bit disappointed, all in all, with the wildlife, or lack thereof. So many creatures supposedly claim the forest as their home. I didn't really see much of anything... other than I got a real good 120 dB(A) earful of bullfrogs and other assorted swamp creatures, making a racket all night long... in the Farles Prarie area.

I think I saw.... a snake... Not even a poisonous snake... No creepy crawlies... no humungous spiders like I saw in one guys Ocala video..... certainly no bears, as per the signs plastered all over the place in Ocala, warning vistors of Black Bears...... and not even any deer. I think I heard a deer one night, but did not see any.

Actually, I saw a baby fox who stared me down for the better part of 60 seconds, and who was within 8 feet of me, when I was camping one night... so that was my big wildlife action.

No gators. No scorpions (which I heard live in FL, supposedly)... basically... not much of anything. Well, I did see a lot of birds in the swampy areas of Farles Prarie... but birds can be seen anywhere in Florida. Got to love those big cranes or herons, or whatever they are, that are all over Florida.

I think I heard some armadillos in the swampy section, but I didn't see them.

(7) So many people have bragged about the vast biodiversity on Florida. It's supposed to be more diverse in this state than in any other.

While I don't dispute that it is indeed diverse, and a worthy destination.... but the reality just did not seem to size up the the scientific claimed fact.

There plant life seemed diverse. I like how you could go from one "zone" (for lack of better word) to another zone, just by walking a half a mile. You could be in dry sand pine barron ecosystem one minute, and twenty minutes later, you enter this lavish, dense, tropical jungle-like ecosystem of marsh, where the canopy is so thick, it's like walking through a south American jungle. But then just as soon as you enter this odd oasis, you are out the other side in minutes.

But to be perfectly honest.... the endeavor started to seem like a one-trick pony real quick. The "zones" you go through start to seem kind of repetitive. If you seen one marsh, you seen them all. If you seen one burned out area, you seen them all.

As for the animal biodiversity, I already covered my complaint above. Just not seeing it. They may be there... in hiding... but I certainly didn't get to see much on my trip.... and I took several trips through Ocala, since I wrote my original message.

(8) Aesthetically, my opinion of it all was...... meh..... I ask myself.... if I were to take somebody on a trip through the park, to see my favorite section.... and if my answer is...... I really just didn't think any part of it was all that spectacular that it just stands out like a sore thumb. The whole thing was just kind of mediocre.

It's a sad state of affairs when my answer is forced, almost by default, to be that the nicest areas are the ones that are not the miles and miles of desolate burned out nothingness. That goes without saying... But the fact that no area just makes me want to say, "Man, that was so nice. I totally want to bring a friend back here," kind of leaves me with the impression that it was just a mediocre hike. Not worthless, as it was good physical and mental exercise... but I just did not get much aesthetic 'wow' out of it.

In short, New England, it is not.

East Coast Alex
05-25-2010, 01:22
Oh yeah, I forgot one additional point of interest.

(9) I walked for four days straight.... and I **** you not.... I saw not one other hiker that entire time, on that trail.

Now, whether one considers that a good or bad point, is up to ones preference, so I won't attach a proverbial grade to that either way. I just thought it was an interesting observation.

It was one lonely trip. I liked the solitude.... though sometimes sleeping at night.... the thought of not one other hiker being on the entirety of the trail.... it somehow made me a bit nervous, trying to go to sleep. I was afraid a black bear was going to eat me, especially because I slept with my food two of the four nights.. and I didn't clean my pots well some of the nights, so I was pretty siure they were going to come sniff that out from a mile away. :)

Alas, and to my luck... Ocala seemingly sucks for wildlife, as it is all one gigantic burned out forest.... so... no animals came to eat me, or grace my presence, for my viewing enjoyment.

East Coast Alex
05-25-2010, 03:19
Oh yeah, I forgot one additional point of interest.

(9) I walked for four days straight.... and I **** you not.... I saw not one other hiker that entire time, on that trail.

Now, whether one considers that a good or bad point, is up to ones preference, so I won't attach a proverbial grade to that either way. I just thought it was an interesting observation.

^^^ With respect to the above point, I just thought I'd throw in a random aside by mentioning I saw some kind of motion sensed camera along the trail, stashed in the woods. It had a little placard on the back of the unit indicating that it's purpose was to count the number of trail users that passed it.

Given how few hikers I encountered on the trail in four days straight, in what is probably the "prime time" hiking season in those parts.... I might be a bit worried that one day, the powers that be in governance, would see fit to terminate public use of that trail, as not enough people seem to use it.

For me to not run into anybody in four solid days one one trip, and then again I saw nobody for two solid days straight on another trip, would have to be one heck of a statistical coincidence, such that it makes me think the trail isn't really all that active. It may fall by the wayside, eventually, if its usage does not increase.

The amount of wear on the path makes it seem like it's a reasonably well used trail, but I just didn't see anybody those two times. Quite odd.

maicheneb
05-25-2010, 07:58
Alex, you should try White Springs area, especially around the Shoals.

The FT is definitely what you make of it. The sections are very ecologically diverse. I sincerely believe that to fully appreciate them, the trail's hikers should really learn about the flora and fauna that inhabit these sections. The FT isn't going to throw magnificent, life-changing, ego-humbling vistas at you like the trails out West, and it certainly isn't anything like New England (how I miss it, too!). To get the most enjoyment out of the FT, you have to be an active 'participant' in it. Don't step out on the trail and expect to be given a show. Step onto the trail and actively appreciate it.

bigcranky
05-25-2010, 08:58
My hiking partner and I did a section in Ocala NF in March. It was .... different. Actually it was much better than we expected, in all sorts of ways.

Great White
05-25-2010, 21:20
Yes, the FT is definitely what you make of it. I have only hiked in two areas of the trail, Seminole State Forest and Bull Creek WMA. Both areas are through Palmetto Prairie. My own experience tells me that the wildlife are to be found in the forest/wetland areas surrounding water, usually a river or stream. All of the action appears to happen in the morning and evening hours. I have only seen a small number of animals in any open area, a Deer resting during the midday heat and a Turkey with her young in the morning. Nothing else. But in the evenings, I have seen Bear and Bobcat along with other wildlife near water.

I usually spend a lot of time on the St. John's Watershed Management District Areas. They have plenty of land along the river. In fact, the only time I have encountered other people is on their lands. One encounter was a boat party traveling along the whole length of the river. And don't forget the Airboats. ;) If you don't live near the St. John's, try looking up your district. Each one appears to have a recreation page describing areas open to public access.

The key to Florida appears to be finding as many public areas as you can and explore. You are bound to see something interesting.

East Coast Alex
05-25-2010, 21:46
Just adding a thing or two to my list, regarding my Ocala NF hike, as I think of them:

(10) There was a conspicuous lack of roots and rocks from most of this trail, a fact I rather appreciated. It was probably one of the most rock-free, root-free, trails I have ever been on.

Some people like the challenge of rocks and roots, so take it as one will. I don't consider those things to be a challenge. I consider them just a nuisance. A challenge is going uphill, not watching your every step, so you don't get a sprained angle.

This Ocala section would make a really great trail for a trail run speed attempt. I might try that one day. The lack of water for long distances, and the heat poses a bit of a problem for that kind of thing.... but I still think the whole entire Florida Trail is basically ripe for a speed record attempt. I am surprised nobody ever did it before. I tried web searching it, and turned up nothing about anybody who has tried it before.

Gray Blazer
05-26-2010, 07:47
You see one palmetto bush, you've seen 'em all.

ONF is good for running (except when you run up on a bear or a hog).

DareN
05-26-2010, 12:06
When did you do this hike? Maybe I missed it from your post, but if you just completed it you were really off-season. That's the way FL hiking is in some of these areas. Many times I never see another person, especially end of May! I have hiked both Citrus and Croom, they may be a little more challenging.

East Coast Alex
05-26-2010, 16:05
When did you do this hike? Maybe I missed it from your post, but if you just completed it you were really off-season. That's the way FL hiking is in some of these areas. Many times I never see another person, especially end of May! I have hiked both Citrus and Croom, they may be a little more challenging.

The first time was .... maybe.... end of April... last month. The the second time was about two weeks ago, which was middle of May, basically.

I don't know what the big hiking season is, being new to the area. I just kind of figured it might be somewhere between late Feb to Mid may, before the summer sun really starts a' sweltering come June/July.

My FT section map say's that no backcountry camping is allowed in Ocala (except in one area) all throughout winter, from end of Nov to sometime in February (because that is hunting season, I guess), if I recall correctly.... so I figured that winter probably wasn't prime time hiking season in Ocala, if you aren't allowed to backcountry camp there.... Figured everyone would go at it, come March.

I'm going to do Croom and Citrus next.

moytoy
05-26-2010, 16:33
I'm really glad to see that you made it out there and sorry you didn't see more wildlife. Deer are hunted in the Forest and unless you lay in wait for them they will stay far away from you. Bears are very shy by nature. I have got several views of bears in areas that have been burned off and long vistas are possible. As far as a speed attempt. I guess you could try that but there are sections that you will need to wade through a swamp. A runner in the ONF could do some serious miles in a day!

East Coast Alex
05-26-2010, 17:07
(11) Carry a trusty "spider web stick."

:p

Next time, I think I am going to get one of those little retractable FM antennas from Radio Shack, like the kind you see on portable radios. Use that as my trusty spider web stick. I kept leaving my stick behind every time I stopped to rest.... and in certain sections I didn't need it. A retractable one would probably be a good idea. You can stow it away, even stick it in your pocket when you don't need it, so it got to be a little chore, toting the thing around the whole time. With a retractable one, just whip it out of your pack or pocket again, when needed... no having to carry it around in your hand the whole time.

They seem to build webs overnight. Then come morning, a hiker comes through and brushes them aside... then come morning, the little buggers build them all over again.