PDA

View Full Version : Where will your hiking adventures take you in 2010 ?

johnnybgood
12-31-2009, 20:56
Where will you go to hike that much anticipated trail in 2010 ,you know the one that you have talked about for months ? .
You know "The Hike" that your family and/or friends have heard you talk about for months.:p

When will you take off and how long do you plan on hiking for ?

Even if your plans are for a week long hike with much less hoopla but still a big deal to you in 2010 it still belongs here so tell us all about it.

Happy New Year !!!

jrwiesz
01-01-2010, 01:14
Back to Isle Royale National Park, if all goes well; I have a few more trails to complete, to have hiked all available on the main Isle.
Then, hike those trails on the other islets of the park.:sun

Phreak
01-01-2010, 01:40
John Muir Trail (CA), Tahoe Rim Trail, finish the BMT (Mudd Gap to northern terminus), finish the NC Bartram, and hoping to hike all of the AT in VA.

Graywolf
01-01-2010, 05:09
Well, I was planning on a trip on the PCT in Southern Oregon, But after watching my 2009 vid and looking at my pics, with the new equipment, I would like to do another section attempt from Springer to the Smokeys..Only time will tell...

Graywolf

sasquatch2014
01-01-2010, 10:05
Wind Gap to DWG middle of Jan.

Duncannon to Pine Grove for the Pa Ruck at the end of Jan.

Springer North for a week or so early to mid March.

Cornwall Bridge Rd north to the Jug End Road in Mass May or June

Hannover north for a week end of July

Manchester South to Rt 9 Sept

Rockfish Gap south for about a week mid Oct

At least these are my plans. Had great plans for 2009 but life got in the way. As a section hiker I am all over the place right now trying to close up some gaps that I have and extend from the ends of my completed sections. I like to try and hike and enjoy the seasons as they change.

FritztheCat
01-01-2010, 10:17
I'll be retiring this year and until then I have a few weekend hikes planned. I'm really looking at doing an E2E of The Long Trail starting in late August. Haven't fully committed to it yet, just reading up on it. I figure it would be a great prep for a thru of the AT in 2011.

nox
01-01-2010, 10:24
Planning on doing a lot of 2-3 day hikes on the AT then Alaska for 2 weeks in june!!! I can't wait.

Wolfmaan
01-01-2010, 12:12
I live in Southern Ontairo Canada. I will be travelling across the country (a 20hr drive) to Nova Scotia Canada to hike through the Anapolis mountain range for a month in August...

JF2CBR
01-01-2010, 12:50
Right now I'm focusing on an extended late March/early April trip to the West coast. Probably hit several National Parks including a week in Yosemite. Also checking out Portland and Seattle area with a few days in Olympic and Ranier.

Should be a great time, can't wait!

harryfred
01-01-2010, 14:15
Hope to get some more hiking in,Jan/Feb before I go back to work. Maybe I'll hike up to the PA Ruck.

From Harpers Ferry to Chester gap VA mid May

Pa 309 to DWG Oct or Nov.

Like to do a long weekend on PA's Mid State Trail If that works out I may plan to thru hike it in 2011

From Penn Marr to Birch Run and then home. I tried that hike three times last year and something messed it up.

At least one other long weekend on a section of the AT I've already done and at least one other long weekend on a trail that is not attached to the AT

Several "I justgottagetouttathehouse" to Caledonia or Pine Groove Furnace. As much Sunday afternoon explorations as I can get away with.

Low Impact
01-01-2010, 14:21
Right now it's looking like:

April - September: PCT Thru-Hike.

September - October: Walking the Dalton Highway in AK (Fairbanks to the Arctic Ocean).

After that... god only knows.

:D

modiyooch
01-01-2010, 14:24
the state of VT to finish the AT
Isle of Royale possible
area in FL outside of Tampa possible
NC day hikes

Daydream Believer
01-01-2010, 14:35
More of the AT for us. We'll go back to GA and pick up at Hogpen Gap and try to make Dick's Creek Gap on our next Section....hopefully in March. I'll be thrilled if we can make it to the base of the Smokies by Fall but much of our time to hike will depend on work schedules and life.

Blissful
01-01-2010, 15:23
I hope to continue section hiking -- I usually go spring and fall. Also want to do more day trips in SNP

Caveman of Ohio
01-01-2010, 15:46
Cohos Trail in July or September.

johnnybgood
01-01-2010, 17:53
I hope to continue section hiking -- I usually go spring and fall. Also want to do more day trips in SNP
I too want to do a section hike of a week from Chester Gap north to Harpers Ferry, and more day/night weekend hikes in SNP.

Connie
01-01-2010, 18:19
I am doing the book: 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Portland, and then, walk-up Mt. Stuart, and then, walk the Columbia Gorge trails, and then, head up the PCT to snowshoe and hike the North Cascades for old times sake.

traildust
01-01-2010, 18:33
Thruhiking the Sheltowee Trace, Ky's Long Trail in April.

boarstone
01-01-2010, 19:57
In April, the beginning of the GET outside of Phoenix AZ, First Water TH (trail #104)to La Barge Canyon.

sbhikes
01-01-2010, 20:23
I don't have any plans and that makes me feel very sad. I have to pretend to be responsible for a while.

Erin
01-01-2010, 20:47
Fun thread. A section (five days) of the Superior Hiking trail in Minnesota in September. I paid one of my hiker friends five bucks so I could keep the time open and say honestly I have made a downpayment on a vacation.

modiyooch
01-01-2010, 21:01
I don't have any plans and that makes me feel very sad. I have to pretend to be responsible for a while.
until May. that's when I get ansy.

DuctTape
01-02-2010, 00:09
That's a good question! I've had my eye on the Colorado Trail for a few years now, but as of now, I really don't know!

A-Train
01-02-2010, 00:14
Hopefully a month in Croatia and Slovenia and Austria with a good dose of hiking.

Back up is Tahoe Rim Trail, finish the JMT and cycle up the Cali/OR coast

Shutterbug
01-02-2010, 00:32
Where will you go to hike that much anticipated trail in 2010 ,you know the one that you have talked about for months ? .
You know "The Hike" that your family and/or friends have heard you talk about for months.:p

When will you take off and how long do you plan on hiking for ?

Even if your plans are for a week long hike with much less hoopla but still a big deal to you in 2010 it still belongs here so tell us all about it.

Happy New Year !!!

I don't have the full year scheduled out, but I don't have to "take off." Now that I have retired, I hike almost every day. It is just a matter of "where" and whether or not I camp out. Most of the time I take day hikes near my home in Gig Harbor, WA, but I do some longer hikes too.

January -- Southern Arizona. I will hike the trails out of Maderia Canyon and Saguaro National Park. I will probably climb Picacho Peak again.

February -- Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and Washington.

March -- mostly Washington, I usually start with the Ozette Loop and other hikes close to the coast. Late in March the trails in Mt. Rainier National Park start melting out.

April -- I have a permit for the Grand Canyon, South Rim to Bright Angel Campground and back.

May -- My application is in for a Rim to Rim to Rim hike of the Grand Canyon. I won't know for sure until I get a response from the park.

June -- Wonderland Trail. My son, grandson and I plan to do the Wonderland Trail. It will be the first long hike for the grandson. Depending on how much snow we get in the next couple of month, June may be too early.

July -- Inca Trail. My wife and I will be hiking the Inca Trail in Peru.

August -- More Mt. Rainier and Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Sept -- 100 Mile Wilderness. Five of the last six years, I have hiked in the 100 Mile Wilderness in the fall. I will probably do it again in 2010.

Oct -- Another Grand Canyon hike. My wife has not visited Supia. We may go there the year.

We hike in Roxborough State Park in Colorado several times each year.

When we take cross-country trips, we stop for day hikes along the way.

Shutterbug
01-02-2010, 00:36
That's a good question! I've had my eye on the Colorado Trail for a few years now, but as of now, I really don't know!

The Colorado Trail is a great option. I hiked the portion from Denver to Brekenridge. Finishing the trail is on my "ToDo" list. The scenery is really beautiful. When I did the first section about 15 years ago, I went three days without seeing another person.

Spirit Walker
01-02-2010, 00:54
The past three years we made plans and then every year something happened to change our plans (injuries), so I hesitate to even write the current plan. We've had some really bad luck making plans.

However, Jim and I really want to finish the PCT hike we started last year, so that is the first priority. To prepare for the PCT, we are heading to Springer to hike for six weeks or so on the AT. We'll leave around the first of March and hike until mid-April, return north for a wedding in New York, then fly to San Diego right after the Kick-off party. God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll walk to Canada, finishing sometime in mid-October.

Mrs Baggins
01-02-2010, 05:47
Starting in April, want to get in at least one 2 nighter/month. Hoping to finish the GSMNP in May (Newfound Gap sobo to Stecoah Gap), maybe a week on the AT somewhere in the VA/MD area in September. Then 2 weeks in Turkey in October. Lots of day hikes from Spring through late Fall.

Tagless
01-02-2010, 08:21
In April I hope to join a friend on the AT for two weeks as he resumes his hike in Virginia.

This August, Tag-along and I plan to thru hike the Superior Trail.

tiptoe
01-02-2010, 11:28
I'm hoping to take two AT hikes: one in early summer from Duncannon to Harper's Ferry (or the reverse) and one later on from Pinkham Notch to Caratunk (or the reverse).

Bear Cables
01-05-2010, 11:28
Three hikes in the planning. A spring hike to see the wildflowers around Cosby TN in April, our regular section hike this year is Newfound Gap northbound to ??? and we are planning a hike in Yosemite for late Aug. or early Sept. Retirement is wonderful!

Bear Cables
01-05-2010, 11:30
Colorado Trail...I'll have to look into that trail!

Hikes in Rain
01-05-2010, 14:01
I'm tied into the responsibility thing, too, at least for a while. However, if things go even closely according to plan, I should be able to do the I-40 to I-26 stretch I had to postpone last year. Might even get to stretch it on up to Erwin!!

I have so much new lighter better gear now I won't recognize my kit when I go! That's exciting.

Of course, I keep thinking of one of my favorite quotes: "Plans last until contact with the enemy."

Press
01-05-2010, 21:17
I hope to continue my section hiking of the AT in Virginia by getting in 50-60 miles from Pearisburg south this spring, or maybe skipping ahead to the Grayson Highlands-Mt. Rogers area.

Also, for vacation this summer my wife and I are planning a roadtrip to Yellowstone NP where I want to do some day hiking with her. I can't wait.

Hope for a few more weekend and overnight trips around Central VA on the AT as well.

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2010, 21:22
i wanted to bring my daughter to traildays. but i don't know?. shes only 2 and we live so far away.
this summer i was planning to thruhike the colorado trail

mooch11
01-05-2010, 22:40
Long Mothers Day weekend on the North country Trail in Michigan, then a nine day trip on the AT in Virginia in September. Various other short hikes of the North Country Trail.
Thru hike in 2011.

Not Sunshine
01-05-2010, 22:46
Hopefully a month in Croatia and Slovenia and Austria with a good dose of hiking.

Back up is Tahoe Rim Trail, finish the JMT and cycle up the Cali/OR coast

absolutely, totally, markedly, insanely jealous. :D

Not Sunshine
01-05-2010, 22:48
GSMNP northbound. I'm hoping I can get through it in 1 week. Probably mid-summer.

fredmugs
01-06-2010, 10:28
I'm hoping to hike NH in July and VT in Sept.

rpenczek
01-06-2010, 11:05
No AT section this year, but going to Philmont Scout Ranch in June with the boys and then in the early fall a rim to rim with a good friend.

I am certain I will get in five or six weekend trips in the Hoosier National Forest and/or the Knobstone.

johnnybgood
01-06-2010, 17:00
I'm hoping to hike NH in July and VT in Sept.
Where are you hiking in NH in July ? If early July the black flies might be a nuisance .

Spray DEET on your clothes and on the brim of your cap.

Ham-Bone
01-07-2010, 17:53
Wow, I thought I was the only one that suddenly got excited and started planning my hikes. So far, I'm thinking:
Cheshire, MA to Wallingford, VT (August)
Nolichucky River Area in TN (Feb)
Hot Springs, NC area
McAfee Knob Area in VA
Big Bald Area in TN
Southern PA (up to Carlisle)
maybe a few other 2 day and 1 day hikes in GA, NC, or TN

johnnybgood
01-07-2010, 18:02
:welcometo Whiteblaze Ham-Bone.

When it comes to hiking we don't mess around.:)

58starter
01-07-2010, 18:14
21 day starting March 19,2010 Starting where I left off last October, Dicks Creek Gap in Ga. Going as far as I can in 21 days. Looking forward to it.

Erin
01-08-2010, 00:12
Shutterbug, great iteniary. I am green with envy.
Where are you hiking in Missouri? Just curious.

Grampsb
01-08-2010, 07:12
Hope to do the following
Black Forest Trial
Dolly Sods
Cranberry Wilderness
Daninel Boon National Forest - Car Camp with Kids/Grandkids -Koomer Ridge Campground

BackTrack1
01-08-2010, 07:28
Im planning on hiking the state of massachusetts section of the AT in late june or early july.

Ladytrekker
01-08-2010, 10:00
I am section hiking the Florida Trail this year and doing my first section on the AT in May and I know once I do a section of the AT I will never be the same because I am totally obcessed with it and have read and studied everything I can only because if fills in my time until I can get on it. In my spare time for the fun of it I have been visiting Florida State Forests and doing the Trailwalkers Program which has taken me to alot areas I would never have considered so that has been fun.

My son is thinking of going to law school in Virginia and the first thing I looked for was the schools he mentioned and their proximity to the trail because I will be visiting him alot. I figure dinner with my son and a few days on the trail will be a good visit, now if I can get him hiking I would see him more.

Sleepy the Arab
01-09-2010, 18:21
The Long Trail, sometime this summer.

I know, I know - I said I was hiking this last year. This time it's definite. If I'm able to swing any additional unpaid time off, I'll probably try to do the Tuscarora Trail in autumn.

KTR
01-09-2010, 18:27
Hoping to hike out of Trotdale VA and head NOBO. Not before a few days in Damascus though to visit a few friends and get very drunk.

VT in the Spring and the Dacks this Fall !

Iv'e decided to ditch my filter finally as so to make room for more Irish Whiskey!

have an Amazing year out there all!!!

pattydivins
01-09-2010, 20:15
I am going to hike the Batona Trail in Jersey as my first adventure. Then I will move onto hiking parts of the AT. I think I want to hike a section around the delaware water gap, I am also intersted in lehigh gap, so maybe I can do a hike between these two points.

gregp
01-09-2010, 21:50
I will start hiking Georgia next month and hope to finish it by the end of the year in three separate trips. Lots of weekend trips to state parks such as South Mountain and Stone Mountain in between. Plenty of day hiking at the local haunt (Lake Norman state park) as well. I plan on being a walking SOB this year. :)

NotYet
01-10-2010, 15:59
Planning a sobo thru-hike of the CDT starting in mid-June! Can't wait!!!

Lilred
01-10-2010, 19:12
My latest craze is vintage travel trailers. Bought me a 1966 and taking it to the Smokies in May, and do some day hikes there. Sullivan lake, Indiana for a weekend, then maybe back on the AT for a few weeks in July

Shutterbug
01-10-2010, 19:33
Shutterbug, great iteniary. I am green with envy.
Where are you hiking in Missouri? Just curious.

I have a daughter who lives in Olathe, KS. I visit her several times a year and always look for places in Kansas and Missouri to hike. In Missouri, it is often along the Lewis and Clark Trail. I followed the Lewis and Clark Trail from near St. Louis all the way to the Pacific Ocean, but there are several places in Missouri where the trail has more than one path. (To make it clear, I didn't hike the entire length of the Lewis and Clark Trail. I drove it, but stopped daily along the way to hike for an hour or two.)

I am now in Arizona, enjoying some great January hiking. Yesterday I did a loop hike in Saguaro National Park. I love being outside.

Ham-Bone
01-11-2010, 10:27
21 day starting March 19,2010 Starting where I left off last October, Dicks Creek Gap in Ga. Going as far as I can in 21 days. Looking forward to it.

Assuming you are going north from there...that is where I go the most. Cheoh Bald is one of my favorite spots period. Great place to tent provided you don't need water and your tent is anchored good!

Hooch
01-11-2010, 10:48
Three trips planned for Springs thus far; Springer to Neel Gap in March, NOC to Winding Stair Gap for the April Fool's Bash and a yet unplanned hike into Damascus for Trail Days. I'm sure I can squeeze in a couple more hikes as well. Would like to finish GA this year before the hot weather smacks us in the face and knock out the Smokies in Autumn.

fredmugs
01-11-2010, 14:17
Where are you hiking in NH in July ? If early July the black flies might be a nuisance .

Spray DEET on your clothes and on the brim of your cap.

Not sure yet but I'm guess around or shortly after the 4th. It will largely depend on my hiking partner because I have no life and he does!

Thanks for the warning. I still haven't experienced the black fly menace yet. Is is worse than the No See Ums?

Mango
01-11-2010, 14:24
PCT (+ 7 more characters so it'll post)

lazy river road
01-11-2010, 15:10
The LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Trail :), it will be my first long distance hike (not inclcuding the weekends im doing for pratice but for an extended amount of time longer then 2 nights) and im so stoked.