PDA

View Full Version : 6 lb. hamburger

Israel
09-07-2004, 10:18
A friend sent me this link today:

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/6lbburger.htm

It is a little off the trail in PA but their claim to fame is no one has yet to finish their burger in one sitting. It would be a good addition to the half gallon challenge though a bit of hitchhiking may be needed!

lol.

tarbubble
09-10-2004, 03:11
wow, that's an obscenely big burger. Snopes has some pictures of it, too - apparently the photos are getting emailed around.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/commercials/bigburger.asp#photo3

rocket04
09-10-2004, 15:59
Hmmmmm, burger... I'm surprised nobody's managed the 6 pounder in one sitting yet. I mean, it's hard, but you figure there's always somebody out there who'll do it.

smokymtnsteve
09-10-2004, 16:09
Amarillo by morning...take it from an old truck driver

http://www.bigtexan.com/index2.html

Flash Hand
09-11-2004, 03:21
I checked the map for the BIG burger from the Appalachian Trail, I believe its more than 75 or 100 miles to get there by hitchiking... not worth this trip.

Flash Hand :jump

DMA, 2000
09-19-2004, 12:31
You can't tell me that there wouldn't be quite a few thru-hikers how could fast all morning and knock off that thing in the afternoon.

grrickar
09-19-2004, 13:31
I ate a 3 lb steak at the Trail Dust restaurant in Arlington, TX years ago. I even ate the baked potato, beans and bread they brought out with it. The waitress was stunned when I asked what they had for dessert. I ended up having apple cobbler and ice cream. I weighted about 180 then and being 6'1" I looked thinner than I was. She must have wondered where I was putting it all....

If I fasted for a day I could easily eat one of those 6lbs burgers today, but I'd rather eat a 6lb steak!

gardenville
09-19-2004, 13:47
If you get off the AT at Duncannon, PA and travel North on Hwy 22/322 to Clearfield, PA ( the place) it is about 132 miles or about 3 hours by car. It might be an interesting 1-day side trip for a group of hikers If you could get a shuttle up and back from Duncannon.

grrickar
09-19-2004, 19:26
Amarillo by morning...take it from an old truck driver

http://www.bigtexan.com/index2.htmlI ate a 48 ounce steak one time, so I'm more than halfway there!

Pencil Pusher
09-22-2004, 06:14
Beaujos (or some close spelling) in Colorado has a similar deal which a few have finished. But for us mere mortals, it's still a great deal to order and then split between friends. There's some restaurant near Central Park in NYC that I always forget the name of... starts with a C... anyhow, this place puts obscene amounts of cheese and meat on their burgers and sandwiches. About two inches of cheese for their cheese sandwiches and obscene amounts of meat for others. But the name of the place... argh I remember then forget...

2XL
09-22-2004, 08:06
PP. Do you mean the Carnagie Deli?
I've never been there, but I've seen the huge sandwiches on TV.

ridgewalker777
09-22-2004, 08:15
Pardon me, but gluttonous consumption is at the core of what is wrong with our society. If you want health problems with internal organs, clouded thinking, that loggee sluggish feeling, eat heavy protein. The momentary satiation which comes from eating a lot, has long-term consequences. I try to use hiking to get healthier, to tone the system as only intense workouts can do. Thoreau had an interesting observation on the caterpillar as a "gross feeder" which eventually enters a far more aesthetic phase...The great orator William Jennings Bryan died from a bust gut after the Scopes trial, he had gluttonized! Drunks usually do far less damage to their systems during a binge than gluttons.

Pencil Pusher
09-22-2004, 13:34
That's probably it, 2XL. I had some mean sandwich that I couldn't even wrap my big mouth around. Ridgewalker, I'll probably get killed by a drunk driver before gluttony gets the best of me;) Isn't America the land of excess?

bulldog
09-22-2004, 17:22
Pardon me, but gluttonous consumption is at the core of what is wrong with our society. If you want health problems with internal organs, clouded thinking, that loggee sluggish feeling, eat heavy protein. The momentary satiation which comes from eating a lot, has long-term consequences. I try to use hiking to get healthier, to tone the system as only intense workouts can do. Thoreau had an interesting observation on the caterpillar as a "gross feeder" which eventually enters a far more aesthetic phase...The great orator William Jennings Bryan died from a bust gut after the Scopes trial, he had gluttonized! Drunks usually do far less damage to their systems during a binge than gluttons.

Lol, William Jennings Bryan probably wasnt walking 15-40 miles a day. This summer on the PCT I ate food in portions that were insanely huge. Frequently when I would go to town I would go to the nearest pizza place and order a large or extra large pizza and a pitcher of beer and feel hungry an hour later. A half gallon of ice cream for breakfast was just a warmup. Granted, gluttonous consumption, among other things, is a problem in our society, but it's not a problem in the hiker society. I personally plan to take a crack at this 6 lb burger if I thru-hike the A.T. in '05.

Flash Hand
09-22-2004, 19:06
If you get off the AT at Duncannon, PA and travel North on Hwy 22/322 to Clearfield, PA ( the place) it is about 132 miles or about 3 hours by car. It might be an interesting 1-day side trip for a group of hikers If you could get a shuttle up and back from Duncannon.

Is there anybody in Duncannon that would provide shuttle between Duncannon and Clearfield, PA? If there is one, I would probably be going but I am not going to eat all 6 lbs burger, but will take the leftover as a doggie bag for someone's hungry dog in Duncannon.

Flash Hand :jump

Pencil Pusher
09-23-2004, 05:28
Rent a car. I tried to find Greyhound, but it was eight hours each way from Harrisburg. Rent a Wreck offers perhaps a more economical car rental, for which you could make a day trip out of this.

Carlisle Rent a Wreck rates: http://www.rentawreck.com/cgi-bin/lansaweb?procfun+WCUSTINQ+WCUSRES+RAP+ENG+FUNCPARM S+RAWFRN(S0060):972

TakeABreak
10-08-2004, 22:50
A shuttle or a rented car would be tempting (if Available), maybe once a thru hike is over a person make a special effort to drive through there just to get a burger.

There some shuttle person in Pennsylvania, a complete list can be viewed by going to www.atconf.org (http://www.atconf.org) and clicking on shuttles, you will have to click on a couple on things before getting there, but it is available.

Also, www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org) has online companion guide, you look at duncannon shuttles there.

It give all of the contact information needed, you can contact ahead of time and find out if they are game or not, if so I would try to hook up with other hikers and split the shuttle cost 75 - 100 miles one way, would be cheap. $1 a mile is going to be costly.

The Solemates
10-11-2004, 14:37
I would have loved to have a crack at it on my thru-hike. I finished the 1lb burger at White-House Landing in the 100mile wildnerness like it was a midmorning snack.

broodX
10-11-2004, 14:56
The thing is that its not 6 lbs of meat. The weight includes the bread and fixins.

The Solemates
10-11-2004, 16:58
If thats the case, I may be able to eat it now, after sitting on my butt for several months in an office.

tlbj6142
10-11-2004, 17:20
The thing is that its not 6 lbs of meat. The weight includes the bread and fixins.Website claimns it weighs 9# after you add all of the fixins.