01-01-2010, 13:20
Did anyone ever try this thing? :-?

http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/

HumanBN
01-01-2010, 13:58
Looks horrible!

Blissful
01-01-2010, 15:49
I guess there's a first time for everything. I sure wouldn't take it through NH and ME

Franco
01-01-2010, 18:18
Every so often this comes up, there was a thread a few days ago from someone that wanted to make one.
About 10 years ago there was a Swiss made version here in Australia (was still available recently but have forgotten the name..) , it never sold in any numbers. The reason is that on most trails you end up having to carry it over your shoulders for a considerable time, at the point you have a more uncomfortable and heavier than usual external frame pack.
It could be ideal for long distance unsupported walks on flat trails like the ex-railways cycle tracks, or here outback dirt roads.
Franco

bigcranky
01-01-2010, 18:39
There are many small climbs on the Trail -- really, they are big steps up, not climbs -- but you'll need to lift the pack up and over each of them. I don't think it would be much fun myself.

Wheeled vehicles and carts are banned in wilderness areas, too.

Wolfmaan
01-01-2010, 18:57
I contacted Dixon Roller Pack to get information. They don't offer a rental or trial with the unit. They also don't offer a moneyback guarantee. I have no experience with the unit, but don't really think it's for rough and heavy terrain.

Dessert terrain perhaps

Anumber1
01-01-2010, 23:10
I thought they only sold that thing in SkyMall

Tinker
01-01-2010, 23:40
Did anyone ever try this thing? :-?

http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/
This is the second time in a month (maybe two) that I've seen a post about this thing. It wouldn't be useful on much of the AT. It would be twisting and poking into your sides as you walked because the ground is generally too uneven for a smooth roll. When the trail gets vertical - up or down - you'd be carrying the thing anyhow. Save the weight of the wheel and carry a regular pack -or maybe one without a frame at all - I've been doing that for the past four years (except when I overpacked for the Georgia section in 2006 - almost four years).

Doctari
01-02-2010, 01:38
Mule over at Hammock forums has one & loves it. His review is there, somewhere. After seeing it in use at a Red River gorge hangout, I can't see any problems on most of the southern 500 miles of the AT that I have done. Maybe the south side of Albert, but the Roller Pack easily converts to a backpack for such occasions, then back to a roller pack.

Seems to ease the stress on knees that a pack causes. I did not get to try it (time constraints) but lifting the loaded pack, then just the attachment points, yea, I can see the attraction.

Mule has a video at HF of it in use. It's actually a sweat set up, just not for me,,,,, yet.

FWIW: there is also an optional ski attachment for winter use. It attaches right over the wheel.

kolokolo
01-02-2010, 11:40
If you need to roll your pack, then you are probably carrying too much stuff. :-?

Just sayin...:)

Lilred
01-02-2010, 13:06
Can you imagine taking that thing on some of the downhills??/ LOL you'll be pushed downhill all the way. BTW the original travois used by Indians was pulled by a HORSE!! LOLOL.