PDA

View Full Version : Bare foot

gunner76
01-01-2010, 14:25
Any one hike the trail barefoot or in sandles ?

harryfred
01-01-2010, 14:31
In sandals. Sometimes.

sasquatch2014
01-01-2010, 14:55
There have been some who have done all or parts of it bear foot. The Bearfoot Sisters and Tyvek both come to mind. I am sure there have been others as well.

Blissful
01-01-2010, 15:20
The barefoot sisters have a book (http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Barefoot-Sisters-Book-Walking/dp/1847285562) out about their trek.

Erin
01-01-2010, 21:09
The Barefoot Sister's book, "Southbound" is excellent. They have really good suggestions on how to take care of de feet. One is a foot salve they make at home and use daily. It is beeswax and olive oil, warmed and mixed in the oven at 300 and mixed together.
There is also a very good audio of an interview with them on
Robert T. Butler III, on Trailcast, a radio program.

CrumbSnatcher
01-01-2010, 21:13
chaco sandels

Anumber1
01-01-2010, 22:54
The Pheonix thru-hiked this year in crocs. I tried it but wasnt very happy

Bronk
01-02-2010, 02:04
Just curious...what do people who hike barefoot do when they get to the whites or otherwise encounter cold weather?

World-Wide
01-02-2010, 02:22
Just curious...what do people who hike barefoot do when they get to the whites or otherwise encounter cold weather?

.....and how about early season snow also?? :-?

Shiraz-mataz
01-02-2010, 07:56
This subject has come up before but I am always happy to chime in with my experience. I hike in minimal footwear which amounts to nothing more than Teva Terra-Fi II sandals but I often take 'em off and hike barefoot. There's nothing like the feel of the earth beneath your feet. People always say "I could never do that..." because they fear injury or just the wear and tear on their soles over rough terrain. I won't lie to you and say it's always easy because honestly, after miles and miles of traipsing around two and three inch rocks, I need a break! But it's not so much a break from the physical aspects of stepping on rocks as it is the mental aspects of one's internal conversation about dodging them which goes something like this: "rock, rock, oh there's a rock, watch that rock, ah... grass.... ROCK!" Hiking barefoot over typical AT terrain will slow you down, that's a given. And since I hike with others I wear sandals just so I don't hold them back but if I find myself on a particularly long, smooth section - they're comin' off!

Bronk and World-Wide asked about cold weather and snow. Believe it or not, cold weather down to anything above freezing is perfectly doable barefoot. You will find that your body compensates and your feet will stay warm - I kid you not! It helps to keep moving and push through the chill one feels initially. As for snow? Some people enjoy hiking barefoot in snow but I hate the stuff from the get-go and you would rarely find me outside the house, much less hiking in it. Frostbite is definitely a concern no matter one's barefoot hiking experience so it's best to learn your limits.

And as for the rocks in PA? I haven't done that section yet but hear they are jagged! But if they are large boulders, they are a lot easier to hike on barefoot than the smaller loose rocks.

The benefits of going barefoot, even if one isn't "hiking" per se, are many. People will say "my arches are weak" or "my ankles need support" but going barefoot exercises all the muscles that ordinarily atrophy within the confines of shoes and allow you to hike in ways you could never imagine possible. If anyone wants more info, feel free to PM me or post here...

Transient Being
01-02-2010, 12:02
yeah, I've heard that shoes actually weaken your feet and ankles. Plus, all those long distance runners from third world countries usually run barefoot or with thin sandals. I haven't tried hiking shoeless but the idea is intriguing.

sbhikes
01-02-2010, 22:03
Porters in Nepal wear cheap flip flops. I met a guy section hiking in flip flops. I met another section hiker in Chacos. He told me he had hiked the whole AT in them.

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 13:01
I will often drop off my boots and hike bearfot on my section but mine is all pretty soft stuff, love those Hemlock groves. I keep thinking that I would like to make or get another pair of tire sandals. I had a pair when I was in High School that I got on a trip over to Kenya. I wore them for years don't know where they got to now but after so many moves I consider them gone. They were made from old tires and used innertube and other parts of the tires for the straps. They had some great beadwork on them too.

Big Dawg
01-03-2010, 17:35
any Vibram FiveFinger hikers out there?... http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_kso_trek_m.cfm

achangeincourse
01-03-2010, 17:47
I did a 8 mile hike in converse held together with lots of duck tape, my feet didn't enjoy it.

CrumbSnatcher
01-03-2010, 17:51
I did a 8 mile hike in converse held together with lots of duck tape, my feet didn't enjoy it.
i hiked all of maine with a chaco sandel taped to my foot!
bought a huge roll of duct tape in gorham NH. didn't have any more money for shoes. had to retape every morning and once or twice a day

Mr. Underhill
01-03-2010, 17:55
I went river fishing one day this past summer in water shoes. At the end of the day it felt like someone had been beating on the bottom of my feet with a 2x4. I could never go on the trail without some feet protection. Stubbed my toes enough on the AT on the little tree stumps that were not cut down all the way.

sbhikes
01-03-2010, 20:34
I decided to take off my shoes today for the last half mile or so of my hike. It felt good not to wear shoes. I like the feeling of moist, cool dirt under my feet. I didn't particularly like the feeling of tiny little sharp rocks in some sections. I want to do it again. It feels more good than not.

Marta
01-03-2010, 20:36
As far as I know, Freebird has hiked many, many miles in Tevas.

stumpknocker
01-03-2010, 22:23
As far as I know, Freebird has hiked many, many miles in Tevas.

Yah, Freebird walks in sandals and uses no poles...a very quiet walker. He sees more wildlife along the Trail than any other walker I've ever talked to.

I read "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall a month and a half ago and decided to give barefoot walking a try since I had been off Trail for six months and my Plantar Fasciitis still wasn't getting much better.

Been walking barefoot all day every day for the last six weeks and the plantar is slowly getting better.

Walking barefoot really makes you aware of each footstep. I don't plan on carrying a pack on my back while walking barefoot, but I am planning on ditching the $100.00 trail running shoes for a cheap no-frills type of shoe....more like I always wore as a kid.

I can't recommend this because it's just a test on me. I can say that I do get out of bed in the mornings now and I can start walking right away with no pain. :)

Marta
01-03-2010, 22:28
...I can say that I do get out of bed in the mornings now and I can start walking right away with no pain. :)

Great to hear that!

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 23:57
I have been going bear foot a lot lately. I usefully change my mind when I go out into the entry way to let the dog out and I have to say that Jan those river slate tiles are a bit chilly. It will be a few months before I kick the boots off again on the trail.

Tinker
01-04-2010, 02:15
I have been going bear foot a lot lately. I usefully change my mind when I go out into the entry way to let the dog out and I have to say that Jan those river slate tiles are a bit chilly. It will be a few months before I kick the boots off again on the trail.

BEARfoot??
You mean BIGfoot, don't you?;)

World-Wide
01-04-2010, 02:45
Thanks for the cold weather/snow input!! W-W

World-Wide
01-04-2010, 02:46
Thanks for the cold weather/snow input!! W-W

Oops.....meant to go to Shiraz-Mataz.....W-W :)

Shiraz-mataz
01-04-2010, 08:54
Oops.....meant to go to Shiraz-Mataz.....W-W :)

You're welcome W-W!!!

Just thought of something... June 1 is designated as National Go Barefoot Day. I think the original intent of this day is to raise awareness of those in third world countries who don't have shoes but I think it sounds like a good reason to chuck your shoes for the day! Take this as an excuse/reason to put your trail runners, Limmers, Crocs, etc... in your backpack and hike a mile or two or twenty barefoot.

Plodderman
01-04-2010, 16:48
Went with a guy one time who tried sandals and it was not a very good trip for him. I have seen a few bare-footers and they seemed to not have any problems.

Met Tyvek man a few years ago in the Smokies and he was shoeless.

YoungMoose
01-04-2010, 17:20
In the summer of 2008 i saw a guy from wisconsin southbounding it in keen sandals.

Monkeyboy
01-04-2010, 17:28
Went with a guy one time who tried sandals and it was not a very good trip for him. I have seen a few bare-footers and they seemed to not have any problems.

Met Tyvek man a few years ago in the Smokies and he was shoeless.

Saw Tyvek at Springer.......he just finished thru-hiking the ENTIRE trail barefoot.

WalkSoftly33
02-03-2010, 13:16
any Vibram FiveFinger hikers out there?... http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_kso_trek_m.cfm

I plan to wear my brown Vibram Five Finger KSO Treks for my Apr 1st thru hike

I have done two 25+ trips on the MA sections of the AT last summer/fall.

Feet were tired and sore after the first trip. I had only had the "Funny feet" for a few weeks. But after wearing them on short day hikes and basically everywhere except the workplace the rest of the summer. My second hike in October my feet felt fine. My only issue was with the tempatures and wettness. Around 37* which was fine to hike in but when we stopped for camp I was in discomfort (read pain) for about an hour till I dried them by the fire.

They provide the best of both worlds improving you foot and ankle strenght while providing some protection against abrasion.

Changes the why you walk. (read no heal striking) Also downhills no longer put strain on my knees.

Because of the tempature/wetness issue I delayed my mid march depature to Apr 1st, while that doesnt avoid the problem it hopefully will mitigate it somewhat.

Only concern is durability, I think I may prepurchase a replacement pair to have them at the ready to be shipped by my brother.

Wrangler88
02-03-2010, 15:45
I plan to wear my brown Vibram Five Finger KSO Treks for my Apr 1st thru hike

I have done two 25+ trips on the MA sections of the AT last summer/fall.

Feet were tired and sore after the first trip. I had only had the "Funny feet" for a few weeks. But after wearing them on short day hikes and basically everywhere except the workplace the rest of the summer. My second hike in October my feet felt fine. My only issue was with the tempatures and wettness. Around 37* which was fine to hike in but when we stopped for camp I was in discomfort (read pain) for about an hour till I dried them by the fire.

They provide the best of both worlds improving you foot and ankle strenght while providing some protection against abrasion.

Changes the why you walk. (read no heal striking) Also downhills no longer put strain on my knees.

Because of the tempature/wetness issue I delayed my mid march depature to Apr 1st, while that doesnt avoid the problem it hopefully will mitigate it somewhat.

Only concern is durability, I think I may prepurchase a replacement pair to have them at the ready to be shipped by my brother.

Do you have a trailjournal? I've been thinking about distance backpacking in my Five Fingers and I'd like to know how they hold up for you over a long distance through water, rocks, etc.

thelowend
02-03-2010, 16:06
i really wanna try the five fingers but it seems like a gimmick almost.. walk barefoot..with our shoes.. although the sharp rocks all over the AT make it seem less gimmicky..

JJJ
02-03-2010, 16:29
The Barefoot Sister's book, "Southbound" is excellent. They have really good suggestions on how to take care of de feet. One is a foot salve they make at home and use daily. It is beeswax and olive oil, warmed and mixed in the oven at 300 and mixed together.
There is also a very good audio of an interview with them on
Robert T. Butler III, on Trailcast, a radio program.

Wife and I have used that salve for almost 30 years for lots of issues.
When trail running I slather my feet in it before long runs. -rarely have any blistering.
We fortify with comfrey, calendula, and sometime golden seal.

I started switching toward barefoot last year, using VFF and some Merrell sandals.
If you don't over do it they, are great, some people(i.e. older ones i.e. like me) take longer to adapt.
Some new leg muscles are going to get sore.
Last year, I did 3-~ 20 mile days back to back off Roan Mt in the sandals, no problems.
Later in the year, I did a long trailrun and have had some nerve issues in 3-left toes, but it's almost better.

I just ordered a pair of Huarache sandal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1x1sBwEzmo&feature=PlayList&p=7031EA1C68F21F52&index=1) kits from Barefoot Ted (http://barefootted.com/shop/).
Can't wait to give them a whirl.
jjj

JJJ
02-03-2010, 16:31
P.S.
The VFF got rid of my PF pronto.

Wrangler88
02-03-2010, 19:01
i really wanna try the five fingers but it seems like a gimmick almost.. walk barefoot..with our shoes.. although the sharp rocks all over the AT make it seem less gimmicky..

What I tell people when they ask me about how stuff feels through them is that if I was to step on a small rock that in normal shoes you might not even notice, in Five Fingers you can tell its there, but it doesn't hurt as it might if you were barefoot. So they provide some protection. I think I'm actually about to buy another pair.

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 19:07
I would be more inclined to walk the trail nude expect for trail runners and socks than to go barefooted.

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 19:28
I would be more inclined to walk the trail nude expect for trail runners and socks than to go barefooted.

if you still have on your shoes and socks are you truly naked?

AUhiker90
02-03-2010, 22:30
what kind of socks would you wear in march in the cold snow and rain while wearing chacos? Or any socks at all.

MMX
02-03-2010, 22:35
Leaving March first in V F F trek as only shoes. I have an outfitter that is saving back several pairs in different sizes in the trek and KSO. I will send them back for repairs when needed. I love them and as a big guy they work great. Never had a blister in them and wear wool Injinji socks in the snow. My back up if these do fail for any reason will be an older unused pair of Chacos (pre campus style). PM me if you want to contact a store in Ohio that has a good supply of FF.

tuswm
02-03-2010, 23:23
what kind of socks would you wear in march in the cold snow and rain while wearing chacos? Or any socks at all.
I met a tripple crowner that did all three "mostly" in chacos and I hiked with him for a few days. The last day was 40 and pouring. He just used seal skin socks. For those that have not seen them, they are like wet suit socks.

Erin
02-04-2010, 01:17
JJJ, what is VFF?
I am guessing the PF is plantar facitis? Nice tips, though, I always slathered my feet with vaseline and I found the barefoot sister recipe intriguing. I have to wear arch supports so the sandle option is probably out for me on hiking.

AeroGuyDC
02-04-2010, 01:49
Personally I can't imagine walking the AT barefoot. It takes me 17 minutes to get 14 feet on a gravel driveway, so i'm positive that hiking the AT without shoes is out of the question!

Wrangler88
02-04-2010, 02:33
JJJ, what is VFF?
I am guessing the PF is plantar facitis? Nice tips, though, I always slathered my feet with vaseline and I found the barefoot sister recipe intriguing. I have to wear arch supports so the sandle option is probably out for me on hiking.

Sorry to jump in. Vibram Five Fingers.

Marta
02-04-2010, 08:33

Wool socks work well. I find snow annoying to walk in while wearing sandals, though. Snowballs form under my toes. So if I expect to walk in a lot of snow, I wear shoes.

WalkSoftly33
02-04-2010, 16:51
Do you have a trailjournal? I've been thinking about distance backpacking in my Five Fingers and I'd like to know how they hold up for you over a long distance through water, rocks, etc.

No I do not have a trail journal, I have actually been curious as to how people update there journals while on the trail. I realise while in some towns you can hit up libraries for internet access but then your inputting a week or two of journals at once. If theres some secret I have yet to learn please tell me and I would be happy to give updates on the condition of my VFF and my feet.

As to the durability I have been wearing them out side of work almost exclusivley since october and have found very little wear and tear. The reason is your walking style limits the amount you drag your foot it is more of a pick up place down motion. We will see on my thru how they hold up.

WalkSoftly33
02-04-2010, 16:58

I agree with you they are a gimmick..but a fresh gimmick non the less. Most major shoes companies try to sell you as much of a shoe as possible with all the latest "advancements" Vibram is taking a step backward and saying whoa wait a minute we need less of a shoe not more...they encourage barefoot walking. There product allows many to get into it slowly and more pratically.

As far as the price is concerned they are expensive but I think that is because they are fairly new and the demand versus supply is overwhelming so they would be silly not to charge alot, from a business stand point at least. You can find the classics (original) for around 70 at some sites I believe.

I recommend the Treks for hiking, gives you more grip.

Can you tell Im a fan!

Also Iam going to try and barefoot when I can to cut down the abuse my VFF and extend there life span = less money

Wrangler88
02-04-2010, 20:13
No I do not have a trail journal, I have actually been curious as to how people update there journals while on the trail. I realise while in some towns you can hit up libraries for internet access but then your inputting a week or two of journals at once. If theres some secret I have yet to learn please tell me and I would be happy to give updates on the condition of my VFF and my feet.

As to the durability I have been wearing them out side of work almost exclusivley since october and have found very little wear and tear. The reason is your walking style limits the amount you drag your foot it is more of a pick up place down motion. We will see on my thru how they hold up.

I used my iPhone to update. It was easy. But some write letters and send them home and someone else updates for them.

Mismatch
04-26-2010, 13:33

I have the five finger classics and I love them for day hikes and such; I haven't tried them out with a pack yet. I want to get a pair of KSO treks to do my through hike in

Shiraz-mataz
04-26-2010, 14:49
I've heard chatter about these shoes for almost two years but had never seen any until now - I've seen two people out and about this past week alone. They weren't as ugly as I expected! But I don't really need to buy a shoe to go barefoot...

sbhikes
04-26-2010, 17:14
The VFFs were not invented for walking or running. They were invented for boating. I bought some when they first came out, for swimming. They looked fun. I didn't like them at all.