PDA

View Full Version : hole in down parka :(

nox
01-01-2010, 16:21
The other night while sitting at a campfire an ember must have landed on my jacket and burned a tiny hole in the sleeve. The hole is smaller than the lead of a pencil but I have already noticed some down coming out of it. Does anyone have a good fix for this? the material is polyester taffeta if it makes a difference. I'm trying to avoid putting an ugly patch on it since it's fairly new. Would a certain glue work?

Mags
01-01-2010, 16:27
Patches may be ugly, but they work. Not sure about glue.

If is functional outdoor wear (as opposed to something you also wear in town and want to look presentable), get some duct tape that is about the right color. (http://www.google.com/products?q=colored+duct+tape&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Ulo-S7r1GpCusQP71-iIBA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEwQrQQwAg) Place patch on jacket. Grab an iron AND ON LOW HEAT iron on the duct tape. Works like like a champ.

You may also want to call the manufacturer of your jacket directly and see what they suggest. There may an adhesive or fix that is a bit more sartorial minded than mine. ;)

garlic08
01-01-2010, 16:56
I use any one of these for my gear repairs: http://www.rei.com/search?query=repair+tape With any luck, you can match your color fairly well. Then you look like you actually use your stuff and that drives the ladies wild. Right, Mags?

Mags
01-01-2010, 17:02
Chicks digs scars...and duct tape patches on gear.

boarstone
01-01-2010, 20:03
clear fingernail polish......

Pacific Tortuga
01-01-2010, 20:07
clear fingernail polish......

Thought that was how you got rid of chigger's. :-?

boarstone
01-01-2010, 20:17
Thought that was how you got rid of chigger's. :-?

Has many uses..

nox
01-01-2010, 20:59
Mags.. I thought chicks liked eye patches... haha--- Boarstone, do I just dab it on the hole and wait for it to fill up?

Tinker
01-02-2010, 00:02
A drop of Seam Grip or Silnet should do if the hole is small.

Whiskyjo
01-02-2010, 02:05
I agree with Tinker just counted 27 burn holes and two rips all fixed with seam grip.

superman
01-02-2010, 05:35
I use tent tape.

Mrs Baggins
01-02-2010, 05:41
Managed to tear a hole in both of my down bags when I caught the zipper on the fabric. A piece of Gorilla tape fixed both of them and has never come off. I think it only comes in black, though, so you'd have to not mind that.

jrwiesz
01-02-2010, 07:04
Post it on the "used gear for sale" forum.

nox
01-02-2010, 10:21
Thanks, I think I'll try the seam grip. If I can't fix it then I'll post it in the selling used gear forum for more than I paid, but less than retail like most of the stuff there. :-?

Toolshed
01-02-2010, 12:30
yes... another seam Grip Story....
I stitched my old 3 layer goretex jacket (4" tear while bushwacking in the ADK krumholz) as well as old down sleeping bag. On both I used Seam Grip brushed on from the tube. I sewed the torn material sides together and then saturated the new seam I had created. On the jacket, it was to waterproof the new seam. On the sleeping bag it was to strengthen the threads and the shell material they were sewn into.. Both have served wonderfully well. I still wear the GTX jacket on winter trips, though the 22 year old sleeping bag now leaks down elsewhere... :)

mweinstone
01-02-2010, 12:41
once again you are all crying helplessly and dieing in the snow of holkes and writting wills and saying goodbys as you die from not knowing crap matty does. oh well i guess i could help you guys again. but i will require your first born.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=GP-2

mweinstone
01-02-2010, 12:43
completly invisible. only known patch for silnon and all fabrics. can patch your momma.

Toolshed
01-02-2010, 12:53
completly invisible. only known patch for silnon and all fabrics. can patch your momma.
LOL yeah but they are only like 1/2" by 1/2".
BTW, I'll be by in 20 minutes with my 9 year old and his toys, homework, gameboy.... You can have him til spring :D