PDA

View Full Version : oversized bags?

tech30528
01-01-2010, 22:37
I'm planning a three day at the end of March, and a friend of mine has expressed some interest in joining me. It will be his first trip. I have a couple of packs, a spare tent, cooking, gear, basicly everything he will need except for boots and a bag. Thing is, he's a bit over 6 feet tall and close to 300 pounds. What would be a good choice for a bag? We'll be right here in North Georgia, I'm thinking Neel's gap to Unicoi or thereabouts. That way we can bail if he doesn't feel up to it.

Pacific Tortuga
01-01-2010, 22:45
Does he get out and hike at all ? Exersize any ? Look on craigs list, does Porter rent any ?
Do not even wish to share what bag came to mind first, sorry, forgive me, medic background kicking in.

Toolshed
01-01-2010, 23:04
Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide
MontBell SSDown hugger

Tinker
01-01-2010, 23:43
He could use a standard bag like a backpacking quilt if it's not too cold or if he doesn't toss and turn much.

Jim Adams
01-02-2010, 14:28
EMS has wide body bags in synthetic at a very responable price.

geek

nox
01-02-2010, 16:43
Do you have a Gander mountain near you? They sell The Backside brand sleeping bags, They are cut very big. I have a -15 from them and it is about 7 ft long and very wide... nice and roomy.

tuswm
01-02-2010, 23:17
my father is just over 300 and he got a big agness synthetic rated 10 or 15 but i was surprized how small and light it packed. dont know the name but it was for big men and i think he got it at REI.

SMSP
01-02-2010, 23:42
Big Agness Encampment, 15 degree, comes in long also.

SMSP

DBT fan
01-03-2010, 03:26
I'm planning a three day at the end of March, and a friend of mine has expressed some interest in joining me. It will be his first trip. I have a couple of packs, a spare tent, cooking, gear, basicly everything he will need except for boots and a bag. Thing is, he's a bit over 6 feet tall and close to 300 pounds. What would be a good choice for a bag? We'll be right here in North Georgia, I'm thinking Neel's gap to Unicoi or thereabouts. That way we can bail if he doesn't feel up to it.

Are you writin' another AT book, Bryson?

Egads
01-03-2010, 08:01
Montbell #2

tech30528
01-03-2010, 14:51
Does he get out and hike at all ? Exersize any ? Look on craigs list, does Porter rent any ?
Do not even wish to share what bag came to mind first, sorry, forgive me, medic background kicking in.

He does get out and walk in the mountains here a few times a week (he lives near Unicoi Gap), a couple of hours at a stretch, but has never done an overnight. I'll look in to the suggestions here and see what would be most "fitting". He has expressed interest in doing some long hiking, I want to be sure he has a good first trip. I won't be able to do much more than a couple of days at a time with him, at least for the immediate future. I think the best bet would be "gently used" for now in case he decides to try something else or just doesn't catch the bug. I like the Big Agnes option, as I have one and love it. Plus the built in pad is convienient.