PDA

View Full Version : Stores that carry the MST Manual

Taba
01-01-2010, 23:42
This is a list of the stores, so far, that have "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" available for retail purchase. If your store is sold out, please ask them to reorder. You may also still purchase a copy through the mail by sending a check or money order to:

Scot Ward
P.O. Box 55536
Lexington, KY 40555-5536

After the first weekend of February 2010 there will be 2 updated versions of the Manual. There will be an east-bound version (from mountains-to-sea) and a west-bound version (from sea-to-mountains). Please specify which direction you wish to receive.

The Happy Hiker -- Gatlinburg, TN
Smoky Mountain Outfitters -- Gatlinburg, TN
Smoky Mountain Fly Fishing -- Cherokee, NC
Ranger Joe's -- Cherokee, NC
Blue Ridge Books News & Café -- Waynesville, NC
Osondu -- Waynesville, NC
Black Dome -- Asheville, NC
REI -- Asheville, NC
Take A Hike Outfitters -- Black Mtn., NC
Epic Cycles -- Black Mtn., NC
Black Mountain Books -- Black Mtn., NC
Magic Cycles -- Boone, NC
Footsloggers -- Boone, NC
Green Mother Goods -- Boone, NC
Highland Newstand -- Boone, NC
Mountain Outfitters -- Jefferson, NC
Backwoods Bean Coffee Shop -- Sparta, NC
S & L Outdoor Sports Supply -- Sparta, NC
Stone Mountain Country Store -- Traphill, NC
Basin Creek Country Store -- Elkin, NC
Diana's Bookstore -- Elkin, NC
Robby's -- Mt. Airy, NC
Main Oak Emporium -- Mt. Airy, NC
Townsend & Bertram -- Carboro, NC
Askins BP -- Avon, NC
Uglie Mugs -- Avon, NC
Blue Whale -- Salvo, NC
Field & Stream -- New Bern, NC
Sundog Outfitters -- Damascus, VA
Mount Rogers Outfitters -- Damascus, VA
J & H Lanmark Store -- Lexington, KY

Taba
01-02-2010, 09:26
The retail cost for the manual is $20.00 whether you get it in a store or by mail.

Phreak
01-02-2010, 09:44
Any plans to accept electronic payments in the future?

Taba
01-02-2010, 10:05
Any plans to accept electronic payments in the future?

I will look into that. I don't know anything about how that works right now but am willing to learn. Modern technology has surpassed me and has left me to try and catch up. I spend a lot of my life in the woods. If you have a link or something that can get me started on that path, I would appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks,
Taba

SGT Rock
01-02-2010, 10:33
It isn't hard. You just need a website and a paypal account and you can hook it up. Send me an e-mail or PM if you need some suggestions.

Mags
01-02-2010, 13:59
Ditto on the Paypal. I'd look into it I were you.

It is easy to set up and you can have PayPal directly deposit the money into the bank. For a small, independent merchant (which is what you are by default), PayPal works quite nicely.

What (very little! :D) money I get from my Amazon and RedBubble sales go directly into my bank account via PayPal. Makes life easy.

For guidebooks selling mainly to a small nice market, most people are going to want to order online. I know I'd want a guidebook ahead of time to look at before I made the trip to NC. :)

Good luck!

Taba
01-02-2010, 20:36
Ok, still don't know much about it but I have set up the account and added a paypal button to the website page www.thru-hiker.us/thru-hiker-s (http://www.thru-hiker.us/thru-hiker-s) where the Manual is offered. Hope this helps out. I still have one more thing to it, but that will have to wait until Monday.

Taba

SGT Rock
01-02-2010, 20:38
Cool deal. Thanks Taba.

Taba
01-04-2010, 15:10
Ok, my Paypal account is activated and ready to use. It really was kind of easy. I am just an old school kind of guy, modern technology has surpassed me and I am playing a catch-up game with it. I guess I spend too much time in the woods with no computer.

Thanks for the ideas and the assistance with all of this. It is greatly appreciated.

I am working round-the-clock to get the 2010 editions ready for print. The release date for the new versions is the first weekend of this February. So they will be ready for this years hiking season.

Happy hiking,
Scot "Taba" Ward

Tennessee Viking
01-04-2010, 15:15
Just let us know. Planning on getting your lastest updates when published.

And I will try to keep you posted on the MST work. Before winter hit, we started on a big chunk of re-route at Eno River. And large chunk of Falls Lake is getting completed.

Are you coming to the Feb. meeting at Haw River?

Mags
01-04-2010, 16:11
Ok, my Paypal account is activated and ready to use. It really was kind of easy. I am just an old school kind of guy, modern technology has surpassed me and I am playing a catch-up game with it. I guess I spend too much time in the woods with no computer.

That's the beauty of some technology. It makes life easier. :)

For long distance hikers who are scattered all over the country, they'll really appreciate ordering one on online. Less hassle for you too. Everyone wins. :)

Hooch
01-04-2010, 16:14
Also available at REI in Pineville, NC and Charlotte, NC.

Taba
01-04-2010, 17:00
Just let us know. Planning on getting your lastest updates when published.

And I will try to keep you posted on the MST work. Before winter hit, we started on a big chunk of re-route at Eno River. And large chunk of Falls Lake is getting completed.

Are you coming to the Feb. meeting at Haw River?

Yes, I am going to be at the meeting. That is the official release date. The meeting is the first place the Manual will be available. After that I am going to tour North Carolina and restock all the stores listed above and hopefully have more stores to add to the list. I will be traveling NC until the end of March. Then I will make my way back to Kentucky to hike a 280 mile trail and produce a similar Manual for it as well in April. I will then take off for a couple of weeks before I head over to Damascus for "Trail Days". After that I have no plans yet, except for writing the book for the KY trail, which should be done by July.

I hope you do keep in touch with me about the changes on the MST. I want the Manual to be as accurate as it can be for a trail that is constantly changing. This really is a trail that thru-hikers should check out because it has a lot of potential for us. The MST has a bright future!

Taba

Taba
01-20-2010, 18:39
Good news about the updates for the Manual. I have finished drawing the town maps and a new state map outlining where the trail is across the state. The new information for the East-bound direction is in and nearly ready to print. The West-bound version is coming together quickly and both versions will be ready by the 6th of February. I am extremely pleased to see the progress happening with these books. I am sure that they will make hiking the MST so much easier. The churches and private residences that are allowing hikers to camp and get water are in bold print and easy to find. The camping issue for the road section is not as challenging now.

See Bee
01-25-2010, 18:34
Great book Taba. A friend got the last copy at Black Dome in Asheville. He showed it to me and the data is just what he needs.

Taba
01-26-2010, 23:03
Thank you for the compliment, See Bee. I'm glad that you both liked it and that it is going to be useful to you. Now, I have to go to Black Dome and restock their shelves.

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 18:28
Thank you for the compliment, See Bee. I'm glad that you both liked it and that it is going to be useful to you. Now, I have to go to Black Dome and restock their shelves.
Yea I just called them and they said they were out. Hadnt read the thread all the way down to see that the book is not available.
Have 2 days next week to hike and wanted to check out the trail as a possible route

Tennessee Viking
01-27-2010, 20:21
Chaco,
The FMST is having their annual meeting at Haw River State Park on the 6th. Taba should be there with some copies.

Taba make sure I get an autographed copy at the meeting.

Taba
01-27-2010, 21:17
Yea I just called them and they said they were out. Hadnt read the thread all the way down to see that the book is not available.
Have 2 days next week to hike and wanted to check out the trail as a possible route

The 2010 editions will be done soon. They are scheduled to be complete by the 1st of Feb. The official release date is Feb. 6th. I will be presenting them at the annual FMST meeting that day. You can check out the new cover at the links I inserted here. One is my website the other is on Facebook. I will be accepting orders for them now. The paypal account is set up on my website. The first shipment will be sent out February 6th or the day after. Just make sure you let me know which direction you want yours to be for, East-bound or West-bound. If you don't specify, I will send out the East-bound version.

www.thru-hiker.us (http://www.thru-hiker.us)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30600229&l=7292a7b8ef&id=1308643696

Taba
02-01-2010, 11:38
I have just finished writing "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" for both directions. I am very pleased with how they turned out. To check out the cover and some example content go to www.Thru-hiker.us (http://www.Thru-hiker.us). I am going out to print the first batch right now.

Scot "Taba" Ward