PDA

View Full Version : Dog Food on the trail

HeartWalker
01-02-2010, 10:01
I am taking my dog on my thru in March ( I know of all the downsides and believe me I have really struggled with this decision but I am at least going to sart with him and see how it goes. ) and I am wondering from others that have taken their dogs on a thru how hard it is to find dog food particularly at some of the more remote places on the trail. Thanks, Bill

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 11:24
I am taking my dog on my thru in March ( I know of all the downsides and believe me I have really struggled with this decision but I am at least going to sart with him and see how it goes. ) and I am wondering from others that have taken their dogs on a thru how hard it is to find dog food particularly at some of the more remote places on the trail. Thanks, Bill

our first thruhike i boxed up a bunch of dogfood for mail drops along the way.
after that we just bought 5 pound bags along the way.
are you set on one type of food or or you flexable,i was usually able to find pedagree thats one of the better brands you'll find in stores. are you using maildrops at all for yourself? if so you can mail some dog food to remote places with not much selection. but usually never had to much problem finding dogfood.

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2010, 11:44
Its the weight of the dog food that is the issue and this would have been better inside the dog forum. Posting outside the dog forum gets you 15 + posts of leave your dog home... FYI

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805495/k.9C34/Hiking_with_Dogs.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2095719_travel-appalachian-trail-dog.html

I would recommend a book on the subject that covers all the work in bringing a dog on the trail - but I cannot find it at the moment. You need to tell us the size & weight of the dog and it helps to know the breed.

HeartWalker
01-02-2010, 11:58
Sorry about not posting on the dog forum. He is an 83 lb Flat Coat Retriever. He eats Beneful but I figure I'll have to take what I can get. I don't plan on any mail drops was just going to buy along the way if possible and it sounds like it won't be a huge problem. He is 8 years old and has been hiking with me since he was 9 months. I am very aware of how some others react to dogs so he is either on a leash or heeling. I do hope to get a head start of the thundering heard by starting a little earlier. Thanks

Nean
01-02-2010, 12:22
Sorry about not posting on the dog forum. He is an 83 lb Flat Coat Retriever. He eats Beneful but I figure I'll have to take what I can get. I don't plan on any mail drops was just going to buy along the way if possible and it sounds like it won't be a huge problem. He is 8 years old and has been hiking with me since he was 9 months. I am very aware of how some others react to dogs so he is either on a leash or heeling. I do hope to get a head start of the thundering heard by starting a little earlier. Thanks
I've been finding Beneful all along the way. My friend has a big dog who doesn't carry much so she carries most- if not all of his food. It's a high calorie Science Diet and cuts her wieght in half- but has to mail it.
I love hiking with my dog and she loves to hike, but make no mistake- it is more to deal with. Make sure your dog has a way to handle the cold you will encouter with an early start. LETITBE and Delta > SOBO

Lilred
01-02-2010, 13:01
I don't hike with a dog, but I heard this info and it made sense. Feed your dog puppy food on the trail because there are more calories in it than adult food. Check with your vet, but i'm pretty sure this is true. Your dog will need more food than he normally eats, and providing more calories at the same time will help. Also, check with your vet about giving him human food too. Extra carbs from your Lipton's pastas couldn't hurt as long as he's getting his nutrients he needs from dog food. good luck

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 13:17
yeah i used to see beneful every where. i wouldn't waste time or money on maildrops!
how far from the trail in georgia do you live? your family watching your dog when you go thru the smokies? dog have a pack or are you carrying it for him.

HeartWalker
01-02-2010, 13:45
Luckily I live within an hour of the trail in Ga and NC only. He does carry his own pack with pad and food. He withstands the cold very well being a retriever and also helps keep me warm. He also will get my leftovers on occasion to supplement him. I'll check into the puppy chow but I think I'll be lucky just to find Beneful much less puppy chow but thanks for the suggestion. I hope it works out. I know taking him makes an even harder hike but I am going to try. The biggest sacrifice I think will not being able to use the shelters particularly when it rains and town stops Thanks.

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 14:28
Luckily I live within an hour of the trail in Ga and NC only. He does carry his own pack with pad and food. He withstands the cold very well being a retriever and also helps keep me warm. He also will get my leftovers on occasion to supplement him. I'll check into the puppy chow but I think I'll be lucky just to find Beneful much less puppy chow but thanks for the suggestion. I hope it works out. I know taking him makes an even harder hike but I am going to try. The biggest sacrifice I think will not being able to use the shelters particularly when it rains and town stops Thanks.
i never had a problem with town stops. some motels want a deposit. some hostels take dogs! hook your dog to your pack when in the stores and your pack will still be there when you get back,you'll probably hook up with some cool people anyways and take turns going into the stores.
do you tent? the dog will be happier out of the shelter anyway. later on in the hike you'll find a empty shelter now and then. i don't like the thought of feeding my mature dog a puppyfood or catfood. carry some vitamins and buy em' a burger in town:D if my dog needs more calories then ill give her more food, not puppyfood just cause its lighter!

superman
01-02-2010, 15:06
When Winter and I started I was having Winter's food mailed to post offices. That just didn't work. Fortunately I cared more about Winter getting perscription dog food than Winter did. She had no problem eating what ever food was in her pack. Especially because I carried sardines, jerky, tuna etc to go in her food. She liked sharing my snacks as we hiked. I made sure I bought stuff I could share. One time Winter shared her dog food with me. The worst resupply we had was where all they had was canned dog food. Winter liked it but damn it was heavy. We didn't stay in hostels or shelters. It just kept it simple and we preferred it.

Lilred
01-02-2010, 15:24
if my dog needs more calories then ill give her more food, not puppyfood just cause its lighter!

I didn't say to feed puppy food cause it's lighter. Reread my post. It has more calories. If you're gonna carry two pounds of dog food or more, pack as many calories as you can. Plus puppy food would probably have more vitamins and minerals and supplements.

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 15:42
I didn't say to feed puppy food cause it's lighter. Reread my post. It has more calories. If you're gonna carry two pounds of dog food or more, pack as many calories as you can. Plus puppy food would probably have more vitamins and minerals and supplements.i read your post just fine! more calories per ounce of food! got it, which means lighter!!!
choosing things like that are great for you but why screw with the dogs food! puppy food is not made for mature dog
gram counting weenies should not bring a dog along!!!!!!!!!!

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 16:38
tons of old threads on here to answer all your questions good luck!

HeartWalker
01-02-2010, 23:14
Thanks for all the responses. Hope to see some of you out there.

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 13:24
When you make it up to Pawling give me a shout would love to meet up with you I have a mutt - Flat Coat Retriever and Border Collie. Hank and I are out and about alot I maintain the trail from the AT Train stop south towards the Dover Oak. Be glad to help with a resupply run to the store.

HeartWalker
01-03-2010, 20:09
Thanks alot Sasquatch, I'll look you up.

drifters quest
01-04-2010, 16:51
I'll be starting with my border collie around March 10th and was wondering the same. As mentioned, there are several threads that give a lot of good info. I also feed beneful and if available on the trail ill just stick with it though i'm guessing it will be hard to find 5lb bags of it so i may switch to whatever i can find. I'll also keep lots of snacks on hand for her- she'll have her own bag of jerkey to snack on during the day. I was wondering though, she normally gets fed twice a day at home.. but on the trail did most of you feed twice a day or feed at night and give lots of snacks throughout the day? I'm also planning on bringing some wet stuff or gravy to top her food on some of the days where she doesn't have as much appetite.

sasquatch2014
01-04-2010, 17:09
I'll be starting with my border collie around March 10th and was wondering the same. As mentioned, there are several threads that give a lot of good info. I also feed beneful and if available on the trail ill just stick with it though i'm guessing it will be hard to find 5lb bags of it so i may switch to whatever i can find. I'll also keep lots of snacks on hand for her- she'll have her own bag of jerkey to snack on during the day. I was wondering though, she normally gets fed twice a day at home.. but on the trail did most of you feed twice a day or feed at night and give lots of snacks throughout the day? I'm also planning on bringing some wet stuff or gravy to top her food on some of the days where she doesn't have as much appetite.

I just got to the point that when I stopped for a break or snack I'd put out hanks food. sometimes he would eat and toher times he wouldn't but I did this anyway it helps he from looking at me eating and making me feel guilty. He doesn't beg he just has eyes that make my heart melt. I have a harder time saying no to him than I do my kids.