PDA

View Full Version : Saw BigBens post and have a question...

sam4msu
01-02-2010, 11:58
He mentioned staying at the Grand Prix Motel. Has anyone stayed there before? Can't beat the price!!! My wife and I are headed up in a few weeks. I will hike a few days and she will shop in G'burg while I am on the trail:eek::eek::eek: Is this place clean? I am not talking hiker clean, I am talking hikers wife clean!!!
Thanks for any input.

Doctari
01-02-2010, 13:14
I thought the Grand Prix was stellar the few times I stopped there. I haven't stayed, just dropped hikers off. The one room I was in over looked a nice stream. The room (prior to 5 hikers, me included, entered) was spotless.

That said: I got to the motel at the AT crossin in Atkins, I thought it a stellar location: running HOT water, a flush toilet, TP I didn't have to carry, food a 5 minute walk away, that I didn't have to carry or cook. A great place.
4 hours later, my wife arrived to stay, then we would head home next AM. Her first words, she wasn't even out of the car yet: "EWWWWW!! We aren't staying HERE are we!! (notice it wasn't a question in spite of the wording :D )

So, what a hiker thinks is a nice place, wives may not. Mine has already picked out the motel we will stay at when she drops me off next time. No, not the one at the trail crossing.

Slo-go'en
01-02-2010, 14:00
The Grand Pix is a decent place to stay. The only problem I had the last time I passed through there (a few years ago) was they were closed on Sunday and couldn't find anyone to let me check in (though there was a note on the door saying it was possible). Ended up across the street for about the same money (I asked if they had a hiker discount and they said yes) and was a notch above the Grand Pix, being of more recent construction.

As for the Relax Inn at Atkins, that place is a dump! The burnt out resturant out front makes you wonder a bit about the place. But, the TV worked, the shower was hot, the room warm and dry, unlike the weather outside. The bullet hole in the mirror and the stains and holes in the bed cover didn't bother me too much...

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2010, 14:13
I'vre stayed at the Grand Prix many times under many different managers and owners and never had a problem there. It is clean, inexpensive, hiker friendly, and well-located.

white_russian
01-02-2010, 14:38
When I stayed there it was clean. The furninshings were dated though, but that is fine for me.

My parents stayed at the Fairfield Inn in September through Priceline. They got it for $56. It was a 2.5* in the Piegon Forge-Gatlinburg (North) area. They had no complaints. Maybe better for your wife.