PDA

View Full Version : Should I go overnight hiking...

pattydivins
01-02-2010, 13:17
by myself right now? Would that be too crazy to be out there in the freezing cold and long nights by myself? Does anyone else do this around this time of year and can relate some stories about keeping your sanity while alone, cold, and in the dark at night.

skinewmexico
01-02-2010, 13:19
Start small, and test your gear in the backyard. Then if something goes wrong, you can go to a nice warm bed. After you're comfortable with that, try a short overnight, where walking out is no big deal if something blows up. Baby steps.

Egads
01-02-2010, 13:36
Ahh...what's your sleeping bag rated? Is it quality gear or wishful marketing by the manufacturer?

Do you have wool mid-weight base layer shirts & pants? a wind shell? rain gear?

Keep it safe & car camp in the cold before hiking in the cold

I'm not much of a story teller, but my longest nights have been the coldest ones.

RollingStone
01-02-2010, 13:39
Winter hiking/camping is fun. I personally enjoy the solitude and quiet. However, you should really consider a partner if you haven't winter camped before.

Successful winter camping means staying warm and staying fueled to stay warm. Having the right shelter, clothing and sleep system is as important as what you eat.

Having said that if you are intent on doing it here are some tips:

#1 - Take Hand warmers - If you find yourself getting too cold at night you can open and toss a few of these in your bag which will generate enough heat to help you stay warm

#2 - Take foods high in good fats. Eat right before going to bed. If you are cold in the night, eat a snack like peanuts, almonds, etc.

#3 - Use a double walled tent and be prepared to deal with frozen condensation the next morning

#4 - Ensure you having proper layers for clothing and especially extra socks.

#5 - Consider mittens as opposed to Gloves

#6 - At night wear a lightweight balaclava and a wool beanie cap. Sleep in them to retain body heat.

#7 - If you wake up in the middle of the night having to relieve yourself, do it. It may be a pain but trying to hold it until morning makes it miserable and almost impossible to sleep

#8 - If you're going to cook, make sure you are experienced with yoru stove and fuel at cold temps

#9 - Have some way of cutting firewood and use it ;)

Good luck.

Toolshed
01-02-2010, 13:39
Just be prepared for long nights. We are just 2 weeks outside of the shortest days of the year. If you have a tough time sleeping or lying/sitting relatively motionless and reading for more than 6-7 hours at a stretch, this can be a tough time. Especially since at night the temps usually drop as soon as it is dark (5-6PMish) and unless you have a decent fire,or go for a night ski or snowshoe first then retire, plan to retire to your bag for 10-12 hours.
I also say go the backyard route first and see hoe it goes...

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 14:17
I recommend as stated above, do a backyard hike first. I've always started that way every year to get a feel for the gear again. I'd then do a weekend car camping where your car is parked inches from your site. You could then start a campfire, be a few feet from car in case of emergency or too cold. You can also bring almost limitless supplies. From there I'd do what I call my "NO CAR" Car Camping. Pack the gear for a weekend into your pack and go out to the car site again and camp. But this time, DONT TOUCH THE EXTRA SUPPLIES INSIDE YOUR CAR unless your about to keel over with hypothermia. Then you know whether your ready or not for a bigger, longer, more solo hiking trail. Car camping is great because a ranger is normally not far, as well as bathrooms, camp store, supplies.

Tinker
01-02-2010, 14:27
Yes, no, yes, and
I sometimes go out for a night in the backyard in the snow "just because".
Oh, "just because I'm nuts". :)

Caution, though, the closer you are to civilization the less safe it is - really.
Take a friend.

Snowleopard
01-02-2010, 15:26
Yes, you should do it, but as others have said try it in your back yard or close to your car first. That way you find out what works and what doesn't in a place where you can retreat to your house if it is too cold for your equipment. Read this thread also:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57122
If you're in southern NJ, it should be a lot warmer than further north (not warm, just warmer).

leaftye
01-02-2010, 16:20
I like hiking at night, but I've had a couple nights that could've gone better.

The first one was when I slipped on some ice and busted my hip hard. Fortunately I didn't break it, but I wouldn't have been surprised if I did. I hit hard.

The other one was when I went off trail. There really wasn't much of a trail anyway since it was rarely used in peak hiking season, and I was trying to hike it in late winter. I was in a canyon and all the overgrowth and tall walls and rock meant I couldn't see far enough to navigate by sight or gps, so I deciding to climb up the sides to find a safe place to sleep. Anyway, the space I selected to sleep didn't look nearly as nice when the sun came up.

But if the trail is nicely groomed, and there's no worries about ice, I'd happily go night hiking. I may even night hike the desert section on the PCT.

bigcranky
01-02-2010, 16:30
by myself right now? Would that be too crazy to be out there in the freezing cold and long nights by myself? Does anyone else do this around this time of year and can relate some stories about keeping your sanity while alone, cold, and in the dark at night.

Do you have a lot of experience in winter camping and hiking? If not, then I wouldn't go alone. Very cold weather puts a hiker just a little too close to the edge of hypothermia, etc.

pattydivins
01-02-2010, 17:51
Testing out my comfort level in the back yard is a great idea. I have a 20 degree rated bag, which should be okay considering the lows around me (south jersey area) get down to the low 20s. I also have something nice to wear around my head at night.

I think the layers that I have would be adequate for hiking around during the day, that just seems like common sense. I know it is important to avoid sweating too much.

Do you think it is a good idea to build a camp fire next to my tent? I am sure the coals would provide some radiation heat during the night, also it would be nice to be warm for a bit.

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 17:53
Just make sure its not illegal to have campfires, and make sure the radiant heat isn't close enough to melt the tent, and your good to go. In certain places, you can't have an open fire, so a "firepit" could overcome that government excuse.

Testing out my comfort level in the back yard is a great idea. I have a 20 degree rated bag, which should be okay considering the lows around me (south jersey area) get down to the low 20s. I also have something nice to wear around my head at night.

I think the layers that I have would be adequate for hiking around during the day, that just seems like common sense. I know it is important to avoid sweating too much.

Do you think it is a good idea to build a camp fire next to my tent? I am sure the coals would provide some radiation heat during the night, also it would be nice to be warm for a bit.

white_russian
01-02-2010, 17:55
Campfires are fun, but unless you are doing the Les Stroud thing they don't do much in the way of keeping you warm at night. You are better off carrying a warmer sleeping bag or coat than relying on a fire.

ERNMAN
01-02-2010, 18:05
Shelter leopard and some others have 2 planned shake down hikes coming up the second and third weekends of this month.This might be a good op to hike/camp with others that have some exp. . There are 2 other people making the hike that come from Jersey. I believe another female is coming from edison. I hope this works out for you. Everyone I met last time were great people and the time with them will be fun. Good luck

DAJA
01-02-2010, 18:26
Definitely go out and enjoy the outdoors this time of year.. Like others have said, start small and expand slowely... You don't have to do an epic trip your first time..

In fact I just returned from a quick overnight 10km snowshoe trip litterally in my back yard.. Nothing special, but just an opportunity to get out and spend some time with mother nature..

Yesterday I quickly threw together a quick outing as a Nor Easteah began to produce.. Seemed perfect conditions to get out and watch the show... Low temps of -10 C with windchills of -20, sustained wind 15km/h with gusts reaching 100km/h... Quite a show to be sure...

As others have said, ensure your gear is designed for the task, handwarmers are nice, and I also enjoy a 3hr candle to burn in by pot in the tent for a reading/writing light and a little wamth to keep the hands warm... Also good to unthaw the condinsation in the morning before packing up.. Lots of layers, lots of wool...

Get out and enjoy it!!!!

skinewmexico
01-02-2010, 20:04
No fire. If it's big enough to provide radiant heat, it's big enough to melt your tent.

Hikerhead
01-02-2010, 20:13

If you have to ask, it might be better to stay at home. :)

DAJA
01-02-2010, 20:17
If you have to ask, it might be better to stay at home. :)

Or rather recognize that it's in our herritage to survive in this environment... Start small with an easy bail option and gradually inhance your skills and comfort level...

Nothing to fear, we've been doing it for centuries... Just be smart...

SassyWindsor
01-02-2010, 20:20
One should have ample overnight backpacking experience in Non-winter conditions. More room for error in warmer weather.

wudhipy
01-02-2010, 20:46
My record for an over nighter is -17deg. Stay hydrated, eat a little more than you think you need, stay dry, dress in layers but not restrictive, have appropriate gear, a good book, a nalgene of hot water covered with a sock in the bottom of your bag, get ready for the best sleep ever. Not many hell raisers in the woods in that kind of weather. Oh yea, limiting caffiene intake seems to make a difference for some reason,and no alcohol.:sun

Blissful
01-02-2010, 21:51

I wouldn't go this time of year. But after March sure. Got to bed early and rise early to see the sunrise. And I listen to my MP3 too

sbhikes
01-02-2010, 21:57
At this time of year, I think I might get bored or have a hard time sleeping because I would feel like getting in bed at sundown and that's too many hours to sleep. So I would probably want to make a fire and bring a book to read. Maybe bring a musical instrument, although things with strings are really hard to play when it's cold.

I would think trying it out in the back yard would not be such a good test. It would be too easy to go get in my warm bed or get annoyed by city sounds. Plus where I live (So Cal near the ocean) it is so much wetter at night than where I go hiking. The dew is awful.

prain4u
01-02-2010, 23:11
Should I go overnight hiking by myself right now? Would that be too crazy to be out there in the freezing cold and long nights by myself? Does anyone else do this around this time of year and can relate some stories about keeping your sanity while alone, cold, and in the dark at night.

If you have to ask the above questions....you probably should not attempt hiking overnight alone during winter --at least not yet!

You should probably first try some of the more gradual steps suggested by others on this thread. Build up your cold weather confidence and experience--then try the solo overnight hike.

I have hiked and camped in 20 below zero temperatures (Fahrenheit)--with a windchill reading of minus 40 below zero. I was able to do that safely, because I had built up my skills, experience and confidence on a series of prior trips that had become progressively colder. I had already experienced some very cold autumn nights outdoors in Northern Wisconsin--before I even tried some relatively mild winter weather camping. I had accumulated quite few nights of (milder) winter camping and hiking experience before I dared to stay out at minus 20 below zero.

An overnight solo hike in winter can be a potentially dangerous place--with very little room for error or self-doubt. It is not the place to be all alone while practicing many new skills for the very first time.

Snowleopard
01-02-2010, 23:27
Another skill to build up is to not get too warm -- sweating gets your clothes damp. Go on vigorous local hikes and adjust your layers so that you don't overheat. Add layers when you stop. Sometimes you need to do a lot of adding and removing layers. I like a warm wool or fleece scarf that I constantly take off and put on to adjust my temperature. Adding and removing hats and mittens is also easy and quick for adjusting your temps.

A tip I just read for starting out is to go on day hikes and cook a meal on the trail (or even in a city park) -- it'll get you used to using your stove in the cold. Good articles at: http://www.wintercampers.com/

jesse
01-03-2010, 01:07

absolutely not.

Raul Perez
01-03-2010, 11:20
with the right winter gear I would definitely say go for it. Personally I enjoy the solidtude and get away from society just for even a night.

Your first night might be a bit scary as every little noise will get your alarm bells going. Once you get used to nature's sound you'll find it very relaxing and putting you to sleep quite fast.

LIhikers
01-03-2010, 14:03
Let me suggest you drive up to NY's Harriman State Park and camp in the area of either the Dutch Doctor or Fingerboard shelters. Sleep in your tent as that's warmer than a shelter. Both of those are a short easy walk back to the closest parking area. That way if you get too cold during the night, you can pack up and hike back to your car pretty easily, assuming you have a car.

Toolshed
01-03-2010, 15:39
with the right winter gear I would definitely say go for it. Personally I enjoy the solidtude and get away from society just for even a night.

Your first night might be a bit scary as every little noise will get your alarm bells going. Once you get used to nature's sound you'll find it very relaxing and putting you to sleep quite fast.
LOL - Yeah, Wait til you hear the trees exploding/cracking at -25, that'll get ya wondering!!!!!

leaftye
01-03-2010, 15:47
Patty, it really concerns me that you think it's okay to put a fire next to your tent for warmth. If you can make that mistake, I'm worried that you'd make other huge mistakes as well. After that revelation, I can't in good consciousness recommend that you do this until you learn a lot more.

mister krabs
01-03-2010, 16:44
Fire is mostly for something to do for the several hours after dark. It can also help with keeping you warm, but just for those hours and only while you're facing it. It's not for keeping you warm while you sleep.

prain4u
01-03-2010, 18:47
Many years ago, my older brother and his friends were camping on a hunting trip. They had their tent pitched pretty close to the fire for additional "warmth". They had plenty of "warmth" when their tent burned down. Thankfully, they got out of the tent alive--but they lost the tent and much of the tent's contents were damaged.

I was hiking in the Rockies in 1994 with a group. One night, we elected to sleep out under the stars with no tent or tarp. One of my fellow hikers wanted to sleep next to a campfire. She ignored our warnings about sleeping too close to a fire. Thus, she finished the final days of our hike with a 9-12 inch burn hole in her sleeping bag. Thank goodness she woke up and put out the fire on her sleeping bag before things got any worse.

There have been some improvements in fire retardant materials since the time of these events (especially my brother's tent incident). However, the moral of the story is still valid: Don't place your tent or sleeping bag too close to a fire!

pattydivins
01-03-2010, 18:53
Yeah it was just a quick thought I had, I am sure if I were out there I would have realized that it was not a good idea, I have good common sense.

I am planning on a backyard campout sometime this week. Will handwarmers in my sleeping bag add some warmth?

leaftye
01-03-2010, 19:13
They will, but I'd reserve them for emergency purposes. If you're cold, it's probably because your sleeping pad is too thin, you didn't eat enough, or you sweat too much into your bag. The first two are easy enough to fix. Being a little cool is actually good because it prevents you from sweating, which will cause you to get much colder later in the night.

Bronk
01-03-2010, 19:30

I just got back from an afternoon hike...there's a bit of snow on the ground and after about 2 miles I had to turn back because I lost the trail in the snow...twice before I lost it but was able to pick it up again...and by the time I got back to the truck my tracks going into the woods were covered in snow. There's no way I'd want to try that in the dark.

Bronk
01-03-2010, 19:32
Oops...should have read the replies...I thought you were talking about night hiking in the wintertime.

bullseye
01-03-2010, 19:46
Patty, you have the Batona Trail close by. There are plenty of hiking options and the trail isn't all that challenging. I'm in SJ also, so if you want to PM me I can fill you in on the trail, as well as lend some support options if you'd like. I did a short overnight there the last weekend of November, and wrote a trip report about it in my blog: http://end2endtrailsupply.blogspot.com/ .

Doooglas
01-03-2010, 20:01
Going into the wilderness alone, is idiocy.
All you need is a broken ankle and they'll find your bones a few months later.
Many a nitwit ' disappears" here in Costa Rica and it gets blamed on "whatever".......... they are ALWAYS alone.
A quick swim on the beach or a quick trip up to see a lagoon in a volcano's crater.
A hit from a snake, or a fall, breaking something, and you are finished.

In your particular movie, if an ice storm comes, or branches break out of trees, or you fall in an icy creek. Alone ?
It's over.

prain4u
01-03-2010, 20:06
The amount of insulation UNDERNEATH you is probably one of the greatest secrets to staying warmer on winter overnights. The "insulation" in your SLEEPING BAG crushes easily under your body weight. Thus, sleeping bags provide you with minimal effective insulation value on the underside. You need something more under you.

WHEN I SLEEP IN A TENT IN COLD WEATHER:
I first put down a ground cloth under me or under the tent--depending on my set up. (When I pack "heavy", I have a thicker "reflective" ground cloth that I will carry). I then put a closed cell foam sleeping pad on top of that. Then, I put my inflatable sleeping pad on top of that foam pad. Then comes my sleeping bag.

Just like insulation in your house, the greater the "R -value" of your sleeping pad(s) the greater the insulating value. When it comes to R-value, all sleeping pads are definitely NOT created equal! The R-value of the pad(s) underneath you can make a BIG difference in your level of warmth!

pattydivins
01-03-2010, 21:15
bullseye, I actually went for a day hike there a week ago, went from the trail head at Ong's Hat to Pakim Pond. I think it was a cool trail and this would be the place I would venture to if I were to try out an overnight hike. Looks like hiking along that river was nice, maybe I'll check out that section.

Skidsteer
01-03-2010, 22:07
Many a nitwit ' disappears" here in Costa Rica and it gets blamed on "whatever".......... they are ALWAYS alone.
A quick swim on the beach or a quick trip up to see a lagoon in a volcano's crater.

In your particular movie, if an ice storm comes, or branches break out of trees, or you fall in an icy creek. Alone ?
It's over.

I'm an idiot then.

OK. I'm good with that.

kayak karl
01-03-2010, 22:23
where in south jersey are you. south like trenton or the REAL south. PM me i know a lot for car camping / hiking sites to get you started. the pine barrens are great this time of year :)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&om=0&msa=0&msid=112746510977574609048.00044a0879e733a9bda1e&z=9

bullseye
01-04-2010, 00:58

It's over.

I'm an idiot then.

OK. I'm good with that.

I'm with you Skids, although some of the places I like to go no one will be inconvenienced with finding my bones;):cool:!