PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to carry H2O?

gruntledpainter
01-02-2010, 17:31
what do you use to carry H2O and why?

1. Camelbak or Bladder
2. Nalgene or water bottle
3. Who needs water when you have whiskey?
4. Other

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 17:41
I carry 2x 32oz Sigg Classic Aluminum Bottles, and a 4lt MSR Dromedary bag for long hauls with no springs, and my cooking water.

The_Saint
01-02-2010, 18:21
If it's a wet year like 2009, all you need is a liter vitamin water bottle and a 2+L Platypus(The lightest one). They both made it through for my thru and I'd buy a new Vitamin Water whenever I wanted one. It's the lightest weight setup I found.

ChinMusic
01-02-2010, 18:24
32-oz Gatorade bottles for drinking. Get a new one nearly every time I resupply

Carry a 4L Platypus Water Tank as a dirty water container, usually only used at camp.

modiyooch
01-02-2010, 18:34
two 2 liter water bottles.

Mr. Underhill
01-02-2010, 18:59
20 oz water bottle, 20 oz vitamin water bottle filled with lemonade or gatorade made from powder mix, small Platypus at a water stop before a shelter if the shelter does not have water nearby.

Anumber1
01-02-2010, 20:45
I do not like to use camelback type reservoir thingies. For me having two quart size water bottles (old gatoraide or smart water bottles) is my method of choice. I also carry an additional 1 liter platypus style container as a backup when I know water is scarce or for when Im sitting down to cook dinner and rehydrate myself. but to each his own.

Spirit Walker
01-02-2010, 22:55
On the AT, two Gatorade bottles. I also have a large bladder from REI to bring water from the spring to our campsite. It carries about 1 gallon of water. Since several of the springs on the AT are a distance from the shelter/campsites (and usually steeply uphill), it is a good idea to have something that holds more than a quart of water so you don't have to make multiple trips.

leaftye
01-03-2010, 00:29
When I do the PCT, I'm planning on at least 1 wide mouth disposable water bottle, 2 1-liter-size bladder bottles, and a dromedary bag.

I'd prefer the water bottle most of the time. The small bladders are for keeping in my shirt when I'm in freezing temps. The dromedary is for large sections between water sources.

Raul Perez
01-03-2010, 00:40
2 liter platypus bladder and a 1 liter platypus canteen for the summer. Winter I carry my water in 2 1 liter Klean canteens.

double d
01-03-2010, 02:45
Like alot of others, two 32 oz. gatoraid plastic bottles works for me, but it depends on the area, temp. and water supply.

Outrider
01-03-2010, 03:29
1 Liter Aquafina bottle. I carry 2 of them. Most of the time I just keep one full unless I know it is going to be a while between water.

Connie
01-03-2010, 04:06
I only use the Platypus Big Zip SL bladder in the gravity filter system.

I drink out of the 1 liter platyPlus bottle. I carry an extra 1-liter platyPlus in the Holster they sell.

I have a 10 liter Sea-to-Summit folding water pail for getting water for the campsite, if I plan on camping much.

I have added a lightweight stainless steel water bottle, for boiling water for hot water bottle in winter and for hot water first thing in the morning. I can also heat it in a fire. I use a "tube sock" for insulation.

I am going to add an in-line pump and tubing to get water out of a shallow puddle or a mountain lake with no shoreline. In that case, I will throw the line out or down into the mountain lake or a small rivulet rather than slip. I have put on water shoes, but I didn't think it was a good idea to risk getting wet all over.

. . .

Grinder
01-03-2010, 10:00
I use two gatorade bottles of about 1L each. I usually carry a WalMart bladder for camp.

Last hike I experimented with a water bag I made from waterproof ripstop. It leaked at the seams in the first try but held water for several hours. Rev. II coming this year.

Kerosene
01-03-2010, 10:07
For Fall hikes where water tends to be scarce, I'll bring 2 flexible wide-mouth Nalgene Cantenes (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/NA1100), one of which is a liter, then other 1.5 liters. I position in the side pockets of my pack, with one of them inverted and hooked to hose so I can drink while walking.

If water is really unpredictable, I may augment with a 20-oz soda bottle or even carry along a 4L "water tank" (3-4 ounces) for dry camps.

coryweiss
01-03-2010, 15:33
When I started in 09 I carried two 1L platypus bottles, and an empty 2+L platypus (80oz i think?) The larger bottle was only filled before camp at night, and finished in the morning.

Also, easy tip, I used a Katadyn Hiker filter, and was able to talk the company into sending me (for free), the hydration bladder adapter, so the hose from my filter ran straight into the adapter screwed to the bladders...worked very well, and no wasted water

bigmac_in
01-03-2010, 15:55
I always use Gatorade bottles.

Cabin Fever
01-03-2010, 16:07
I carry a 48oz Nalgene Silo during when water is readily available. During dry times, I carry an extra 32oz Nalgene. Sometimes, I also carry a 96oz Nalgene Cantene for camp water.

Hooch
01-03-2010, 18:34
I use a 32 oz Gatorade bottle or 2 and a 2L+ Platypus bladder for in camp use. I'm just not a fan of those "more outdoorsy than thou" Sigg and Nalgene bottles when a Gatorade bottle does the same thing. They're a waste of money, IMO. But to each their own. :rolleyes:

MedicineMan
01-04-2010, 23:17
2 x 1L mtn dew bottles, hole drilled in one cap for hose and a 1.5L platypus for camp

Tinker
01-04-2010, 23:21
I have used both Nalgene and Camelback (and Platypus) to carry water. In the cold months I use a stainless steel single walled bottle. I heat water directly in it.
I also use Gatorade bottles in the summer. Take one full of Gatorade out of town, sip it until it's half gone, add water at the next source, and I have all the sugar energy necessary for that day's hike. I fill the empty bottle with water until I get to the next resupply (or go home) and start over with a full Gatorade bottle next day (or next section).

Username75
01-05-2010, 04:59
I know it ain't proper but lately I've been using a water bottle to carry My H2O

Cookerhiker
01-05-2010, 18:53
Just bottles - one in the side pouch of the pack, one on my holster in front. Works well.

mak52580
01-06-2010, 13:58
I carry a 3L Platypus bladder in my pack for use during the day. I usually only fill it to about 2L or so depending on water source availability. If it will be a while I'll fill it entirely. I don't like the bulkiness of carrying water bottles on my pack straps or having to take off my pack to get to them in my pack pockets (I'm just not that flexible to put it back in when I'm done). I also carry an empty 1L Platypus for mixing drink mixes and occasionally a 2L (as necessary depending on water availability as well).

Lastly, I carry an old 1L wide-mouth soda bottle for my pee-bottle in my hammock... this of course is not drunk out of :)

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 14:07
2 Nalgenes, 2 evernew water carry bags (one 600mL, for juice or something from town, and one is 1500mL, for cooking and in camp water. Often, they're dry and rolled up in my pack, but are very light, so I love 'em and always take 'em.)

osubucks90
01-06-2010, 14:44
I have used gatorade bottles on my last few hikes. I like them because I use a Pur (now Katadyn) filter and I drilled a tube sized hole in and extra Gatorade cap and fed my it output tube through it. I can screw on the lid while pumping and avoid accidently dumping a full bottle of water (am I the only clumsy idiot who had doen that before?)

I recently changed hiking partners and now I'm making more miles than before and I find I don't take time to rehydrate. I just bought a camelback for dayhiking and I'm considering taking it on my longer trips.

mak52580
01-06-2010, 15:11
I have used gatorade bottles on my last few hikes. I like them because I use a Pur (now Katadyn) filter and I drilled a tube sized hole in and extra Gatorade cap and fed my it output tube through it. I can screw on the lid while pumping and avoid accidently dumping a full bottle of water (am I the only clumsy idiot who had doen that before?)

I recently changed hiking partners and now I'm making more miles than before and I find I don't take time to rehydrate. I just bought a camelback for dayhiking and I'm considering taking it on my longer trips.

If you are looking at a hydration bladder and specifically Camelbak, you should definitely take a look at Platypus. I just converted mine over Christmas and have no regrets. The Platys are half the weight or more than Camelbak and they don't have a strange rubbery taste. Also, IMO the bite valve on the Platy is far superior to the Camelbaks. YMMV

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 15:33
One 3 litre platypus type bladder and one 1 litre pepsi bottle for electolyte mix or whey protein drink . . . :)