PDA

View Full Version : Thru Question

GeneralLee10
01-02-2010, 17:51
I know a few of folks on here will have something smart @$$ to say about this. Should I start back at Springer or back at Fontana road crossing this year. I have hiked from Springer to Fontana in two section hikes in 2009 season. I know it is mostly my choice but was just curious what others thought.

modiyooch
01-02-2010, 18:25
It depends on your goal. For some, it's finishing the AT. For others, it's the process. Both are honorable. I wouldn't backtrack.

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 18:27
I agree completely. If your all about finishing, jump to where you left off. If you want the 6 months, and to say you did it in one complete swoosh, then start at the beginning. Either way, you've completed something very few people can say they have done in their lives, and its an honorable medal of courage.

Speer Carrier
01-02-2010, 18:37
I believe Fontana is roughly 150 miles from Springer. Is it not? If you were to tell me you sectioned hiked the first 150 miles, then did the remaining roughly 2000 miles in one season, I'd say you thru hiked. That's just my opinion. I'm sure the purists don't see it that way.

I think the ATC just recognizes 2000 miles. They don't stipulate having to do it in one season.

So, do you want to be a purist and hike possibly E.F.I. in one season, or do you want to be able to say you experienced the whole trail? You'll have my respect either way.

modiyooch
01-02-2010, 18:39
Hike southbound, and make up your mind when you hit Fontana.

Mags
01-02-2010, 18:45
Do what's best for you.

Heck, if you start from Fontana Dam (having already done the first 150 miles), you can swap in approx another 150 miles as well and finish the Long Trail (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=18)as well when you get to the Maine Junction. (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=hDD&um=1&sa=1&q=maine+junction&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0) :)

wcgornto
01-02-2010, 18:47
Hike southbound, and make up your mind when you hit Fontana.

I concur. Or go ahead and hike from Fontana to Katahdin, then flip back to hike Fontana to Springer if you fel elike it.

ChinMusic
01-02-2010, 18:48
Should I start back at Springer or back at Fontana road crossing this year. I have hiked from Springer to Fontana in two section hikes in 2009 season. I know it is mostly my choice but was just curious what others thought.
I would start at Springer but that is just me. My opinion should mean next to nothing to you.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2010, 18:48
I know a few of folks on here will have something smart @$$ to say about this. Should I start back at Springer or back at Fontana road crossing this year. I have hiked from Springer to Fontana in two section hikes in 2009 season. I know it is mostly my choice but was just curious what others thought.

fontana road crossing

Red Beard
01-02-2010, 18:55
HYOH. I've hiked the section from Springer to NOC, but for me personally, I want to do the whole thing in one shot, so I'm heading back to Springer. I'd say you're still adhering to what all the "purists" would tell you if you start out at Fontana though. Have fun whatever you decide.

white_russian
01-02-2010, 19:10
Personally I would redo it, but I love that part and it is only 160ish miles. That is just me though. Either way is just as good and your decision should be based on your goals and your standards.

attroll
01-03-2010, 10:41
Not to sound sarcastic but why are you asking us? What do you want to do? If you are just worried about doing the trail than jump on where you left off. If you are wanting to do the trail from start to finish in one continual hike than start at Springer.

Everyone is going to have there own opinion on this. For example, I would like to be able to say that I did the trail from start to finish on one season. Other people are not going to care as long as they get the whole trail done. You need to do what you want to do.

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 10:58
all that matters for you is my opinion. i am the great and powerful matthewski. loosers pick up where they left off. real men start over. i hate pussys.

modiyooch
01-03-2010, 11:19
Here's another consideration. Only a certain % of people finish. If you have the good fortune to accomplish another long stretch, wouldn't you rather knock out another part of the trail putting you closer to your goal?

AggieAl
01-03-2010, 12:01
Just a thought, but for us older people ( I am 66), we need to consider that we may not have many more chances to accomplish something like this. Starting at Fontana will give you a tiny edge in finishing. Then if you have time left and desire you can flip back and do the first section the same year.

As others have pointed out, it is your hike. Do it the way you want to.

Good like and I hope to see you on the trail in 2010.

Grampie
01-03-2010, 14:58
Like you I was an older hiker, 65. My first attempt I got to Fontana dam and left the trail do to an injury. The next year I came back and started NOBO from Fontana Dam. My thought was if I got to Katahden I had a choice to return to Fontana and hike to Springer for a true thru-hike.
Well, I had a great hike 2000 miles to Katahdin, finished the whole AT and I was satisfied with what I had accomplished.

GeneralLee10
01-03-2010, 15:01
all that matters for you is my opinion. i am the great and powerful matthewski. loosers pick up where they left off. real men start over. i hate pussys.

It must suck hating yourself all the time Huh?:eek:

takethisbread
01-04-2010, 10:23

Do what u can, don't listen to the douche's. If you do it in a year, it's done. Remember it's about you. Not assmunchers like some of these cats.

You start worrying about what some message board jockey thinks, then you lost the point of going in the first place. But I know you know that.

God bless

DavidNH
01-04-2010, 10:29
Sorefoot,

First off, is it important to you that you hike the entire AT in one season (the definition of a thru hike)? If so, then start at springer.

If you simply want to hike the trail for the experience of hiking it and take however long it takes, than start at Fontana. The trail really doesn't get interesting until the Smokies anyway. The Smokies are gorgeous. Georgia, how ever I didn't find all that special. What ever you do, the Smokies are not to be missed!

DavidNH

Lone Wolf
01-04-2010, 10:30
don't listen to the douche's. Not assmunchers like some of these cats.

message board jockey

so much for the user agreement

Hooch
01-04-2010, 10:48
Do what u can, don't listen to the douche's. If you do it in a year, it's done. Remember it's about you. Not assmunchers like some of these cats.

You start worrying about what some message board jockey thinks, then you lost the point of going in the first place. But I know you know that.

God blessI don't think that God would approve of you calling people assmunchers. Another christian hypocrite. :rolleyes:

takethisbread
01-04-2010, 11:07
Sorry about that. I just get sick when I see peoples experiences tarnished by cynics and trolls. It's very sad. I withdraw those monickers with my deepest apologies (well not the message board jockeys) and hope that he sees that the quality of his hike is inside him and not what someone who hangs out on a message board all the time.

And may God Bless everyone, even those who attempt to ruin people experiences, with their cynicism, and muted view of the world.

Hooch
01-04-2010, 11:09
To the OP, hike your own hike, buddy. Do what makes you happy and your hike complete for you. Hope you enjoy it, whatever you decide.

Jack Tarlin
01-04-2010, 20:36
As several other folks have said, you have to figure out what's important to YOU.

For some folks, doing the Trail all in one whack is a really important goal.

Some could care less.

There is certainly nothing wrong with section hiking, i.e. taking several years to finish the entire Trail, and this is how hundreds of folks have done it.

Some folks feel that their journey has to be continuous, or perhaps all hiked in one direction. Some people feel that slackpacking (i.e. hiking part of the Trail without a full backpack) in't right. Most folks don't care one way or another what a hiker elects to carry.

In short, there are all sorts of different ways to hike the A.T.

Personally, I think the best answer you got is to start out in Fontana and head North. When your trip is done, THEN you can decide whether or not
you want to do the stretch from Fontana to Springer, i.e. you can decide later on whether or not doing the entire Trail in one year is really important to you.

My guess is once you get to Katahdin, you'll be perfectly happy with having hiked the whole Trail over several different years, but who knows.

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 20:54
i belive my creation speaks the truth. hikers? i dont need your acalayeds. i just want them. baltimore jack tarlin was one of my best works. and earlyest. back then, i could build hikers. now,..lok at me! look! creating minisota siths!oh jack.................