PDA

View Full Version : Old Guy Looking for SOBO Companion

Tuney
01-03-2010, 13:32
I'm targeting May 29,2010 to starte SOBO. I would like to hike with a companion If anyone is interested.

bonbon49
01-03-2010, 15:00
looking for one to so when are you going to start?

Snowleopard
01-03-2010, 15:58
Tuney, I read part of your trail journal and I'd say your hard work at training and losing weight is an inspiration. I think you'll do fine out there. I hope to run into you on the trails in New England this summer.
Just one question: Have you ever experienced black flies? I don't think you have them in the south.
--Walter (aka Snowleopard)

Tuney
01-03-2010, 16:07
I have not experienced them. However, I spent half a day at the ATC conference at North Georgia College in the summer of '94 with a ranger from Baxter State Park who explained to me over and over again in excruciating detail why I didn't want to hike south bound. Black Fly Season was his number one reason.

After, much study of other options NOBO and Flip Flop, I finally came back to my original position that the psychology of "Walking Home". Trumps all other considerations. I'm preparing with netting, repellant, and clothes to deal as well as possible with the flies and mosquitos. I have experienced the mosquito's on a canoe trek in Canada's Quetico
Wilderness Park. So I have some Idea of what I'm in for.

Snowleopard
01-03-2010, 20:36
Well, you've got a treat to look forward to. I'm sure you'll be OK. You're bringing a tent which will help. I understand the idea of walking home. I've always thought it would be neat to walk from my hometown in CT to Katahdin.

A couple of tips that may help and perhaps you already know:

Bring a headnet; personally I hate them, but I carry one anyway.
Treat your clothes with Permethrin (don't use it on your skin). One treatment lasts at least through a couple of clothes washings, probably long enough to take you through black fly season. It also helps with ticks (Lyme disease is a problem in many places).
When the black flies or mosquitos are bad cover all exposed skin with DEET.

Some years they're awful and some years they're not bad.
Last summer I was going to try out a new repellent that is reputed to work better on black flies than straight DEET, but there weren't enough black flies to really test it. If you want to try it, REI had it -- http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47968061&parent_category_rn=4500560&vcat=REI_SEARCH&siteId=cjIsd2x-it3792&URL=http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay%3FstoreId%3D8000%26catalogId%3D4000 0008000%26productId%3D47968061%26parent_category_r n%3D4500560%26vcat%3DREI_SEARCH&PID=1992680&AID=10456937&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Aff-_-1992680-_-10456937 and maybe they'll have it closer to the season.
Also, Utrathon is a time release formulation of DEET that lasts longer per application.

flybynight
01-25-2010, 19:36
I too am starting southbound and would like a companion through the 100 mile wilderness. I can't start until at least the first week of June due to graduation from grad. school, but after that I am flexible. I am a novice, but can hold my own (at least I like to think so:sun). Looking for someone not to be in sync each mile, but start out together, catch up, fall behind, go at our own paces...

kayak karl
01-25-2010, 19:44
Just Hike. there will be a lot of people that time of year. your gonna have a blast.
KK

Tuney
01-25-2010, 20:39
I too am starting southbound and would like a companion through the 100 mile wilderness. I can't start until at least the first week of June due to graduation from grad. school, but after that I am flexible. I am a novice, but can hold my own (at least I like to think so:sun). Looking for someone not to be in sync each mile, but start out together, catch up, fall behind, go at our own paces...

My Target Start Date is 6/1. I'll need plenty of time. I hike pretty slowly.

Mountain Wildman
01-25-2010, 20:46
Just thought I would chime in.
I moved from Meriden, Ct. to Gorham, N.H. in 2008.
The black flies are herendous and will drive a person crazy.
Oh, And they follow you. You have to run to get away from the cloud of black flies orbiting around your head.
Like Snowleopard said: "Bring a Headnet"!!!

kayak karl
01-25-2010, 20:52
do we just try to STOP people from starting SOBO. SO, there are bugs. deal with it????

DapperD
01-25-2010, 21:00
Just thought I would chime in.
I moved from Meriden, Ct. to Gorham, N.H. in 2008.
The black flies are herendous and will drive a person crazy.
Oh, And they follow you. You have to run to get away from the cloud of black flies orbiting around your head.
Like Snowleopard said: "Bring a Headnet"!!!I have heard it is somewhat better to wait to start a Southbound thru-hike till about July 1st, as the bugs begin to become less bothersome and the trail conditions become drier and less muddy.:-?

Appalachian Tater
01-25-2010, 21:10
I didn't notice that even 100% DEET had any effect whatsoever on the blackflies. If you are hiking in high season for them, get a net to cover your face and neck and don't have any exposed skin at your arms and ankles. They will also bite right through your shirt but as bad as the biting hurts, it isn't as aggravating as the constant annoyance of them following you and buzzing around your head in trying to get a nibble. Honestly, I would reconsider and do a NOBO hike just to avoid them. They do seem to leave you alone for the most part after the sun goes down.

10-K
01-25-2010, 21:15
I didn't notice that even 100% DEET had any effect whatsoever on the blackflies. If you are hiking in high season for them, get a net to cover your face and neck and don't have any exposed skin at your arms and ankles. They will also bite right through your shirt but as bad as the biting hurts, it isn't as aggravating as the constant annoyance of them following you and buzzing around your head in trying to get a nibble. Honestly, I would reconsider and do a NOBO hike just to avoid them. They do seem to leave you alone for the most part after the sun goes down.

So when exactly is black fly and mosquito season? I'm starting at Bear Mt., NY on May 16th headed to Maine...

thelowend
01-25-2010, 21:51
I have not experienced them. However, I spent half a day at the ATC conference at North Georgia College in the summer of '94 with a ranger from Baxter State Park who explained to me over and over again in excruciating detail why I didn't want to hike south bound. Black Fly Season was his number one reason.

After, much study of other options NOBO and Flip Flop, I finally came back to my original position that the psychology of "Walking Home". Trumps all other considerations. I'm preparing with netting, repellant, and clothes to deal as well as possible with the flies and mosquitos. I have experienced the mosquito's on a canoe trek in Canada's Quetico
Wilderness Park. So I have some Idea of what I'm in for.

me and my buddy came to the exact same conclusions. i dont even know about the black flies to their fullest extent yet but i cant wait to walk home. i dont start til next year though

naturejunkie
01-26-2010, 14:57
Hey Tuney. I am starting around July 11, so I will be well behind you. But, best of luck.

I was up there in 2007 and 2008. I started on June 1 in 2007 and the blackflies were annoying, but manageable. I started around June 15th in 2008 and the blackflies were a non-factor. However, the mosquitoes were vicious. Either way, I never used a head net and relied solely on 99.8% Deet, which worked like a charm. A regular bottle of the stuff from REI should cover you through the wilderness.

So, in other words, don't sweat the bugs. They are there, they are annoying, but you'll survive just fine with a little Deet.

Cheers and have a great hike!