PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak -- The Way to Go

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 14:30
In another thread, a poster made the following comment:

. . . i check on a slepping room they want way to much for it $222.00 plus you rail fare
that is just to much for a 12 hour ride total would be $317.00 and they wonder why no one ride the
trail thank for your help

I presume he meant "ride the train" rather than "ride the trail," but I wanted to post not only that people do, in fact, ride the train (I took the train out west to hike the PCT), but why hikers should ride a train rather than fly.

Here are the advantages:
First of all, train travel is a nice, relaxing way to decompress from your regular life before you get on the trail. Instead of rushing through an airport, worrying about what security might or might not allow, worrying about your checked backpack (without which you cannot hike), worrying about delays and your connecting flight, squeezing yourself into a too-small seat and receiving poor service from overworked flight attendants who charge you for just about anything you might want except the bathroom (and I can see pay toilets in their future), why not take a train?

You want to have your stove, fuel, knife, etc. in your pack and carry it on the train? No problem. No long lines at security, and your pack is with you the whole time. Coach seats on a train are wide, comfortable, and have a leg extension that pops up for when you want to sleep. If the person next to you keeps you up, you can go sleep in the lounge. You can wander around a train as much as you want and no one tells you to go back to your seat. Meals are served in an actual dining car, and if your hunger isn't on their schedule, there's a snack bar under the observation lounge.

There are no connecting flights to miss, and Amtrak doesn't cancel trains to try to fit more people onto the next train going out.

What are the negatives? Well, it takes longer. Usually overnight. But as I'll show in a moment, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and if you're going on a thru-hike you really should learn to stop rushing around sooner rather than later. As the post that inspired this thread notes, it can also be more expensive. But in my mind, that's not necessarily so. Here's why:

I did two comparable searches from the original poster's general location for March 1st. Here's what I found. Flying, the cheapest flight I found out of Baltimore to Atlanta was $106.70, including taxes but not including bag fees. Anything this cheap included a connecting flight, which you could miss (or the airlines could lose your bag). To get a direct flight, the cost was $117.60, again, not including bag fees. Almost every cheaper flight got you into Atlanta late in the day, meaning that it would be unlikely that you'd hit the trail the same day. So you might end up factoring in a hotel if you take a cheaper flight, which actually makes the more expensive flights cheaper overall.

This cost does not include getting from Atlanta to the trailhead.

For that date, the cost for a reserved coach seat on Amtrak is $100.00, cheaper than the cheap connection flights that get you to Atlanta late. The Crescent train arrives in Gainesville, GA at around 7am, plenty early to get to the trail and start hiking.

Now, for a 13 hour train ride, I wouldn't bother getting a sleeper car because coach train seats are way more comfortable than coach seats on a plane, and you can go to the lounge to hang out, but let's say you want to.

The cheapest room on The Crescent is a Viewliner Roomette. You pay the base $100.00 fare, and then it's an additional $174.00 for the room. That sounds pricey ($274.00), but that includes a room with a toilet (and showers nearby), room for your pack so it never leaves your sight, meals are also included, as is coffee, bottled water, and a newspaper (all from your porter, who provides excellent service).

So basically you're getting your transportation, meals, and a room with a porter for $274.00. But if you want to make it cheaper, find someone who wants to start hiking when you do who's from your general area. Because although you both have to pay for the base fare, the room is one price whether there's one person in it or two.

For a Baltimore to Gainesville train with a sleeper room, that would lower the cost to $187.00 each. Not bad, considering what you get, and the hassles of flying that you don't have to deal with.

The $100.00 reserved coach seat is a steal, though, and for those of you who are all into your carbon footprint, the train is more efficient, energy-wise, than planes.

Take the train -- it's a much better way to travel.

Pacific Tortuga
01-03-2010, 14:34
but, do they serve cheese ?

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 14:41

I am happy to report that on my trip West there was cheese available in some form at every meal, and the snack bar also had cheese. Good question, though. I forgot to mention that.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2010, 14:44
i've taken the Crescent 10 times from NY to Gainesville

leaftye
01-03-2010, 14:47
I wish Amtrak was a better option for getting home after finishing the PCT. I've always wanted to take the train. I may look into ways of going west to get to a station.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 14:55
I wish Amtrak was a better option for getting home after finishing the PCT. I've always wanted to take the train. I may look into ways of going west to get to a station.

Route would be a bus to Seattle, the Coast Starlight to LA, and the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego (I'm assuming that's where you live). Cost: $135.00 coach, including the bus. I's a 43 hour trip, though, so if you want a room from Seattle to LA it's $408.00, or $271.50 if you split the room with another hiker.

I think it would be a great way to end a trip.

kombiguy
01-03-2010, 14:56
I'm curious about carrying my pack with me. Is Amtrak very strict on their baggage policies? My pack is bigger than the measurements they say they allow.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 15:05
I'm curious about carrying my pack with me. Is Amtrak very strict on their baggage policies? My pack is bigger than the measurements they say they allow.

I've never heard of anyone being told they couldn't take their pack onboard. On the lower level of the trains there's a place to store larger items (for the double-decker trains that seem to run everywhere except the Northeast corridor). And even on the single deckers, the staff seems to be pretty accommodating.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 15:07
Also important to note, they prohibit "Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels," which probably includes stove fuel. On the other hand, I've also never heard of anyone having their pack searched.

DrRichardCranium
01-03-2010, 16:44
If stove fuel is the only issue, are there convenient places to buy canisters after you get to Atlanta? Or at the town near Mt Springer?

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2010, 16:50
I've gone from Vermont to Georgia several times by Train, and from points south (like Washington and Philadelphia) back up here to New England several times.

I've always had a great trip, no problems whatsover, and best of all, have avoided airports, getting to and from them, and the various problems and unpleasantness associated with airline travel these days.

Rail travel is easy, pleasant, safe, efficient, and affordable. It takes a bit longer than flying, but considering the hassles you save yourself, in many cases, it's well worth it.

P.S. To the person who was concerned about luggage restrictions, I habitually carry a VERY large pack and have never had a problem with it on the Train.

tintin
01-03-2010, 16:58
I intend on flying from Boston to Atlanta. You can check your knife and stove in with your bag, just not a gas canister (I carried a 50 cm blade machete through US customs recently). There really isn't a lot to worry about IMHO. You can have your bag wrapped and marked fragile if you are worried. I'm not from the US but wouldn't think that a gas canister is hard to come by, especially anywhere near the trail.

I'm flying in from the UK anyways so might as well fly to Atlanta (cheaper ticket this way an have friends in Boston).

Miner
01-03-2010, 17:09
They not only served me cheese, but wine as well. This of course was when I went to their $10 daily wine tasting around 3pm.

I rode the Amtrak back to SoCal from Seattle after I finished my PCT hike. It was the perfect end to my adventure as it seemed like another one. Sure it took 2 days instead of a few hours, but I enjoyed the down time and not having to suddenly jump into the fast pace environoment of an airport where everyone is stressed out. I got home relaxed and I enjoyed the ride with its great scenery.

leaftye
01-03-2010, 17:35
How do you get from Manning Creek to Seattle? Sorry if this info is in the guidebooks. I'll be ordering those this week.

white_russian
01-03-2010, 17:56
The train is definitely the way to go. I don't have to turn my expensive gear over to some baggage handler or bus driver who doesn't give a damn.

Egads
01-03-2010, 17:59
Why is Amtrak sooo expensive? :eek:

Bulldawg
01-03-2010, 18:08
Why is Amtrack sooo expensive? :eek:

Because it is basically a government subsidized operation?:eek::eek:

OK, serious question here. I live and work in Gainesville, so I have the opportunity to literally drive by the depot every day. And while they might be able to answer my question, you guys seem like experts.

I thought about using Amtrak to go to DC in the summer, but Gainesville no longer "checks" bags. So does that mean I can't get on there with bags that have to go underneath the trail or in the baggage car. From reading all your posts here I am assuming this means if I could get everything I needed for my trip to DC into say, my Nimbus Latitude, I could just carry it onto the train with me?

Egads
01-03-2010, 18:15
Why is Amtrak sooo expensive? :eek:

Help me think this through...since our tax dollars subsidize Amtrak, it costs me more to ride the train than to fly???

Bulldawg
01-03-2010, 18:21
Help me think this through...since our tax dollars subsidize Amtrak, it costs me more to ride the train than to fly???

Gee, I wonder how much more health care will cost after taxpayer subsidies? Tell me why this is progress:confused:

We are not allowed to discuss those policies or that progress here Egads. Wanna organize a march on DC from WB??:eek::eek::confused::confused:

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 18:24
How do you get from Manning Creek to Seattle? Sorry if this info is in the guidebooks. I'll be ordering those this week.

Assuming you don't meet anyone along the way who's being picked up, you'll most likely take the bus to Vancouver and then the bus to Seattle. Info is in Yogi's Guidebook.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 18:34

Gee, I wonder how much more health care will cost after taxpayer subsidies? Tell me why this is progress:confused:

Does it actually cost more to take the train, or is that just your perception? Even in the northeast corridor, which is more expensive due to electric rather than diesel trains, and areas where double deckers can't operate, AMTRAK fares seem at least on par and sometimes better than airlines.

And it's a better way to travel, in my opinion, and actually worth paying more for. But let's look at you. Let's say you go on a thru-hike this year, finish at the very beginning of October, and you get off the trail and manage to hitch to Portland, ME. Train fare to Atlanta from Portland, ME leaving October 2nd is $160.00. Cheapest airfare I've found on that date: $165.00, not including $15.00 for your bag.

AMTRAK has the reputation of being expensive, but it's not necessarily so.

Cheapest flight I've found

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 18:35

OK, serious question here. I live and work in Gainesville, so I have the opportunity to literally drive by the depot every day. And while they might be able to answer my question, you guys seem like experts.

I thought about using Amtrak to go to DC in the summer, but Gainesville no longer "checks" bags. So does that mean I can't get on there with bags that have to go underneath the trail or in the baggage car. From reading all your posts here I am assuming this means if I could get everything I needed for my trip to DC into say, my Nimbus Latitude, I could just carry it onto the train with me?

It shouldn't be a problem.

Egads
01-03-2010, 18:49

We are not allowed to discuss those policies or that progress here Egads. Wanna organize a march on DC from WB??:eek::eek::confused::confused:

OK, back on topic, Amtrak would be a very enjoyable to travel out west to a trailhead. I'd love to do it. I've checked fares from Atlanta to New Orleans, Atl to DC, and Atl to Montana. Always cheaper to fly.

Tuckahoe
01-03-2010, 18:53
I have considered using Amtrak. I live just two blocks from the station and from Williamsburg, its 3 hours and 35 bucks to DC and another hour and $11 for DC to Harpers Ferry and get off right on the trail.

DavidNH
01-03-2010, 18:57
I myself have taken Amtrack from Boston to Washington DC. It is a wonderful and relaxing way to go. Just try to avoid the cafe car which is a total rip off. I agree with Jester's comments 1000 %!

white_russian
01-03-2010, 19:02
OK, back on topic, Amtrak would be a very enjoyable to travel out west to a trailhead. I'd love to do it. I've checked fares from Atlanta to New Orleans, Atl to DC, and Atl to Montana. Always cheaper to fly.
Atlanta to New Orleans is pretty much always cheaper on Amtrak. $116 R/T most days on the train and the lowest published fare on Travelocity for the next year is $197.39 before baggage, ect.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 19:06

You must be better at looking up airfares than me. I just looked up air/train fares from Atlanta to DC for June 1st (thinking that might ne a nice time to be on the trail in these parts).

Cheapest airfare: $106 including tax, plus $15 for your bag.
Cheapest AMTRAK fare: $99.00.

What's the cheapest airfare you've found?

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 19:13
Cheapest AMTRAK rate I've found ATL to Montana is $93 more than the cheapest flight with taxes and bag fee. I'd still rather take the train. $93 is worth it.

prain4u
01-03-2010, 19:32
AMTRAK is often a delightful way to travel. I don't find it to be expensive at all--especially when compared to other means of travel within the U.S. (and if you include all of the "hidden" fees, taxes and surcharges charged by airlines).

If you go to the AMTRAK website and look for the right discounts, sales and weekly specials--you can sometimes get some pretty minimal fares. (They have weekly specials that are on sale Tuesday thru Friday. These sales change every Tuesday).

AMTRAK Site:
http://www.amtrak.com (http://www.amtrak.com/)

Here is another great site with lots of helpful information regarding how to get the best AMTRAK prices:

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

sbhikes
01-03-2010, 20:00
Didn't the fare include the food? I forget. The food was really good and I got to eat it with real silverware.

I also worried about checking my pack and only being allowed two carry-ons, but what actually happened was I put my pack in a cubby near the door and then sat in upstairs from it. I could go down and get stuff from my pack at any time.

The seating was very comfortable. I never actually sat in my seat. I sat in the observation lounge which faced outward with big picture windows. It was relaxing and fun to watch the scenery go by. I made friend with people in the observation car. After a while, it was like a big party. I swear if someone had had a guitar we might have had a sing-along.

I rode home from the PCT after my first attempt, getting on the train in Dunsmuir. It was the best way to come home, in my opinion. It was like I had spent all this time walking, a primitive and slow form of transportation, and now I was making the leap to the next form of transportation invented, the train, which was still pretty slow but quite a lot faster than walking. I could look out the window and experience the transition from the forest to the central valley to the ocean to my home, from nature to the ugly underbelly of civilization, and then to my home. I wasn't abruptly launched back to "reality" but gently guided there.

They treated me like a human being on the train, not like a terrorist piece of meat to stuff like a sardine into an aluminum tube. I swear soon they'll just give us all a shot of haldol when we board a plane. Flying after hiking I'm sure I would need it. I got the jimmy legs something awful just sitting there like that. I could never be so immobile as they want you to be on a plane after so many months of constant movement. I was glad I could move around on the train.

There were these guys from my home town on the train that gave a running commentary about the sights we could see out the window. It was very entertaining and informative. I sat with them at dinner and we talked about trains and California history. It was fun. Totally recommended. Who cares if it's cheaper to fly in a plane. The hassle just is not worth the small amount of money you might save.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 20:20
Food is included with the cost of a sleeping room, but not with the regular coach fare. Coach customers can nonetheless pay to eat in the dining car, and sit at a table eating actual food as opposed to paying for crappy airline food eaten from a cramped tray.

prain4u
01-03-2010, 20:28
I made friends with people in the observation car. After a while, it was like a big party. I swear if someone had had a guitar we might have had a sing-along.

In 2002 or 2003, I took the train from Illinois to the Great Salt Lake Basin. ALL kinds of people were on that train--rich, poor, heavy drinkers--and people who drank only water. We even had an Amish family traveling on that train.

A couple of professional musicians were traveling home on that same trip. They specialized in bluegrass and folk music. They had a guitar, banjo, fiddle and mandolin with them. In the "observation car", they performed a couple of impromptu concerts during the trip. I went to the observation car in the morning, and these guys were playing music again (including the song "Riding On the City of New Orleans"). Some Amish girls were clapping along to the beat. The yuppy businessmen were tapping their feet while reading their newspapers. The heavy drinkers were simply "enjoying the party". Some folks were singing along with the musicians. It was a cool experience--and actual pretty surreal. (Especially with the Amish girls clapping along to "The City of New Orleans").

You probably will not see that type of scene on an airline anytime in the near future!

Elder
01-03-2010, 20:37
If stove fuel is the only issue, are there convenient places to buy canisters after you get to Atlanta? Or at the town near Mt Springer?
th elocal shuttle services can usually provide, always if booked in advance.
Call Dave or Cool Breeze..:D

MintakaCat
01-03-2010, 22:31
I've taken AMTRAK a number of times but it's been years since I've been on an AMTRAK train. Still, it is a great way to travel.

I'm showing my age here, but I remember when the AMTRAK Crescent was the Southern Crescent. Now that was a train to ride, much better than AMTRAK is today.

Chaco Taco
01-03-2010, 22:38
Supoosing we take a train west to Campo or the closest area, what would be the stops along the way?

Miner
01-03-2010, 23:52
Greyhound Canada picks you right up at Manning Park Lodge around 11am and takes you to the train station in Vancouver (you can buy your ticket after you get on the bus). I chose to stay at a hostel nearby the station for a few days to enjoy the city.

You then can catch a Amtrak train or Amtrak Bus (depending on the time of day) down to Kings Station in Seattle which is where Amtrak runs their big routes out of. You could also take Greyhound to Seattle as it makes 2 stops in Seattle (the last one is by the Amtrak Station) but it doesn't give you any advantage unless you want the Airport and takes longer if you are aiming for the train station. I found a new hostel at the American Hotel near Kings Station in Seattle and stayed there for a short while before I took the Amtrak train home.

Jester2000
01-03-2010, 23:56
Supoosing we take a train west to Campo or the closest area, what would be the stops along the way?

You can go to AMTRAK's website to check them out. You'd most likely take the Capitol Limited from DC to Chicago, which is usually an overnight train, and then a layover in Chicago.

If you have a room for the next leg, you can store your packs in the luggage check in the first class lounge. Otherwise you can put your pack in a locker and walk around Chicago for a while.

Then you'll probably take the Southwest Chief to LA, and the only layover might be Albuquerque for a couple of hours.

Every few stops the train stops for a longer period, about 15 minutes or so, for smoke breaks. I don't remember all of the places they did this, but I do remember one in Raton, CO.

From LA you take a regular commuter train or bus to San Diego, then a bus to Campo, unless you've made arrangements for a shuttle (which are pretty easy to come by near the Kickoff).

For a complete list of stops, though, the routes can be looked up individually on their website.

leaftye
01-04-2010, 00:23
Yep, commuter train (Coaster) to the Old Town Transit Center in San Diego where you'll got on the Green line trolley.
http://www.sdcommute.com/RegionalMaps/central.pdf

Get off at the El Cajon station where you'll take the 894 bus to Campo.
http://www.sdcommute.com/RegionalMaps/eastern.pdf

Here's the bus route.
http://www.sdcommute.com/Services/TimeTable.aspx?r=894&d=East&display=V&tod=wd

The part to watch out for is the bus because it only runs 3 times a day, only on weekdays.

If you go this route, be warned that our transit system doesn't have many of its own restrooms along the route, and the bus to Campo is a 2 hour ride....although the bus will probably have an extended stop or two where I bet you can follow the bus driver to a restroom.

I was thinking about taking the bus, but now that I see I can't get to the trailhead until about noon, I may just get a ride. I really want to be hiking as the sun rises.

hikingshoes
01-04-2010, 02:23
I just check that out tonight and that isnt bad at all.Plus ill be taking the amtrak from DC to SC for 77.00dollars.:banana
I have considered using Amtrak. I live just two blocks from the station and from Williamsburg, its 3 hours and 35 bucks to DC and another hour and $11 for DC to Harpers Ferry and get off right on the trail.

ki0eh
01-04-2010, 09:51
We just returned from an Amtrak trip Cumberland, Md to Denver - high travel period fares for a sleeping bedroom with own bathroom (AAA discount) were cheaper than the airfares we found from BWI, certainly less stress and better food. We lucked out on ourdates not having serious delays (2 hours and 1 hour are pretty much par for Amtrak but other dates and other routes wound up getting cancelled/bused :O ). We had vowed not to do that again after a 25 hour late return from Salt Lake City in 2002 but things were better this time.

Toolshed
01-04-2010, 10:02
My company prefers we take trains now for anything under 6 hours drive time away (we used to fly). In addition I was reading an article that made mention that more people have found trains to be much less hassle than ariports (Nothing like sitting in an airport for 3 hours pre-flight.) for shorter distancesbetween major cities, so it could be demand driven. i.e. If you have enough people to fill the train at 100% fare, why not raise prices to 120% fare and make more and fill at only 80% capacity leaving room for last minute travelers at 125% fare.

Mrs Baggins
01-04-2010, 10:03
Rode Amtrak twice. First time in 1981 - cook slit his wrists and had to be put off the train in the next town, causing 4 hour long delay. Whoever was left served "hot" food cold. Snackbars ran out of food 1/2 way (Davis CA to Seattle WA) and had nothing on the return trip. Second time in 2007 - DC to Gainesville GA - - woman across the aisle had her cell phone ringing the entire night (end one conversation, phone would immediately ring again) and carried on conversations in very loud spanish. Group of older men had a portable DVD player and watched "I Dream of Jeannie" DVDs the entire night, laughing out loud the whole time. Train was packed, nowhere to get away from the freaks. Won't do it again. However, Canada's Via Canada trains are fabulous. Excellent food, spotless compartments, wine tastings, snacks and hot drinks for free 24/7 in the observation car, on time, no delays, very reasonably priced. The train ride from Montreal to Halifax, with upgrades, was about the same as flying but we had the time to see the scenery so we took the train.

Jester2000
01-04-2010, 10:55
You won't take the train again based on two bad experiences 26 years apart from one another? If I was going to go by airline-caused missed flights, poor service, and uncomfortable conditions, I'd never fly again based on my flights to and from San Diego last year.

nitewalker
01-04-2010, 11:15
i rode amtrak home from daytona beach to providence and had a great time. it was back in 87 when i had just turned 21. i went to the refreshment car had some drinks met a girl going to providence, had a great time, lost my transfer ticket, was hung over the whole next morning but i still had one of the better times in my life. it was quite the nightmare trying to get a new transfer ticket . my head was spinning and it made for a great show....lol.............i would do it all over again in a second...

IceAge
01-04-2010, 12:10
I've taken the train a few times for various trips. For those concerned about the size of their backpacks, let me tell you that will not be a problem. I have taken the "Perch Express" to North Dakota and brought a duffel bag that could hide a body, a 7 gallon bucket full of fishing gear, and an hand-crank ice auger and have never been hassled about it.

If your stop doesn't have checked baggage, it just means everything rides in the cubbies on the lower level of the train. Usually much handier that way, anyway.

If the train is empty enough, and the porters are cool with it, you can sometimes swivel the seats around across from you in Coach and put your feet up, makes for more comfortable sleeping. I have even seen smaller people climb up into the overhead luggage area to sleep!

Mags
01-04-2010, 12:43
I took the train in 2002 to get to the start of my PCT hike. Similar route to to others have posted. It actually started off with a bus ride from Denver to Raton, NM (just over the CO/NM border), a train to Los Angeles, then to San Diego. It was a little over a days travel...but much better than Greyhound. It was indeed a great way to ease into the trip.

Alas, most train routes run EAST/WEST beyond the coasts due to the way the train tracks were laid down to get over the Rockies. Up until fairly recently, there was not much call to go north-south along rail in the Rockies.

Long story short? Train travel is not really practical for me to get to places sometimes. I so wanted to start my CDT hike via train. Many East and West coast people start the CDT by taking the train conveniently into East Glacier. A plane ticket was $500 to Kalispell (ouch). A train? $200 or so.

However, It would have taken 3 days of train travel by going to California, then Portland THEN Glacier.

Train travel is great when it works. But sometimes it is not the best option depending where you are located/where you are going. Also, you can often find some last minute fares that are dirt cheap for flying. A friend flew to the ADZPCTKO this past year for $80 one-way via SouthWest airlines. That's damn cheap.

On the other hand, based on sentiments of these posts and where we are headed (I HATE flying now. Or should I say..I hate the post and pre flying activities! You need to get to the airport closer to two hrs a head of time or more, you have to travel to get there, etc. A five hour flight back East requires nearly as much or even more wait/travel time as the total flight time!) , rail is becoming more popular and being expanded.

The pipe dream in this area is expand a light rail along the Front Range..and to hook into the major East/West routes. A really long range pipe dream is to extend rails further north and south, too.

One last little vignette: A few years ago, I had a free pass for two to take the Denver Ski Train. It required a drive to Union Station in Denver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_%28Denver,_Colorado%29), but from there it was a pleasant, scenic and relaxing ride through the foothills and under the Continental Divide (yes!) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moffat_Tunnel) directly to the skiing slopes of Winter Park. (http://www.winterpark.travel/planning/winter-park-ski-train.htm) Literally. The train dropped you off and you walked perhaps two minutes to a chair lift!

Relaxing with some coffee and muffins, looking at the scenery, free skiing all day and then an equally pleasant ride back. NO ski traffic to deal with and what a great way to relax after a hard day on the slopes. (I've only been downhill skiing twice..and both times it was free. :D). I loved it and it was a far better experience than driving to Winter Park, esp in winter.

Alas, the Denver ski train (http://www.skitrain.com/)has yet to find a viable economic model is and is defunct yet again as it has been many times in the past. :(

Disney
01-04-2010, 12:46

The issue is the fuel, not the canister. I carried my whisperlite, fuel bottle and all, on an international flight. I can't imagine the train would be more strict than British Airways. They made me empty all the fuel out and rinse the bottle with water until there was no odor of fuel could be detected.

white_russian
01-04-2010, 13:01
The issue is the fuel, not the canister. I carried my whisperlite, fuel bottle and all, on an international flight. I can't imagine the train would be more strict than British Airways. They made me empty all the fuel out and rinse the bottle with water until there was no odor of fuel could be detected.
That is great and all if you are using white gas, but I think they were referring to isobutane/LPG canisters.

leaftye
01-04-2010, 13:25
People always say air travel is faster, but is it really faster when you consider the amount of time spent getting to the airport early because of homeland security, then checking in, and waiting for all the different groups to load the plane, and then all the stuff in reverse.

Still though, the thing I like about the train idea is:
- taking my big pack with me
- getting a real place to sleep
- getting real meals
- having fantastic views

Mrs Baggins
01-04-2010, 15:40
You won't take the train again based on two bad experiences 26 years apart from one another? If I was going to go by airline-caused missed flights, poor service, and uncomfortable conditions, I'd never fly again based on my flights to and from San Diego last year.

I fly to get there fast. Vacation time is at a premium for us. Flight delays have zero effect on me and I don't mind crowds. I get to the airport hours early, get through security and have time to read and nap. Never a problem and I've been flying domestic and international at least once, and sometimes twice, a year every year since 1977. If I want to see the scenery I'll drive, pick my hotels or campgrounds, enjoy a queen size bed, have a real bathroom and shower now and then, eat where I want to eat and when I want to eat. If the US train system ever reaches the level of real service that exists in Canada or Europe I'll reconsider. But as long as it's the welfare child of the Feds, no way.

Nuthatch
01-04-2010, 15:47
Just FYI, 3 sit-down meals in the dining car are INCLUDED in the price of a sleeper car on Amtrak.

Sly
01-04-2010, 15:47
If the US train system ever reaches the level of real service that exists in Canada or Europe I'll reconsider. But as long as it's the welfare child of the Feds, no way.

LOL.... And who do you think supports/runs the trains in Canada and Europe? Clue = the governments.

leaftye
01-04-2010, 15:51
Almost zero risk of thrombosis on a train too, plus you're not cramped in like a sardine with a bunch of sick whiny kids and double-seatbelt blobs. Okay, the post "plus" part are my hopes. Someone please tell me this is correct.

leaftye
01-04-2010, 15:53
LOL.... And who do you think supports/runs the trains in Canada and Europe? Clue = the governments.

Those 4 or 5 fancy trains that got stuck overnight in the tunnel in crazy cold temps were French trains. :banana

Johnny Thunder
01-04-2010, 16:18
Almost zero risk of thrombosis on a train too, plus you're not cramped in like a sardine with a bunch of sick whiny kids and double-seatbelt blobs. Okay, the post "plus" part are my hopes. Someone please tell me this is correct.

I agree. I've been on 27 planes since October 20th (living in a small town with no direct flights influences that number) and will be on 4 more in the next week.

When I lived in Philly/NYC Amtrak was awesome. I could be in Boston in under 4 hours...which incidentally, was the time it took to check-in and fly there (don't even factor waiting for the bags or getting to/from the Airport.

More importantly...at least on the trains that I took during that period (and these were all on the higher priced Acela...on someone else's dime) I experienced a different group of people traveling by train than by plane/bus in the same areas. I want to avoid using the term "class" because that sounds bigoted but I think it has something to do with air transport being egalitarian and ground transport being divided between the bus and the train. Not sure.

What you can do on a train is get up and walk away from the screaming child...or the person who, for the sake of traveling, picks up their first book in years. It's "Going Rouge" and they want to tell you all about. That happened twice to me in the past three months. Damn it, people...read Dan Brown like normal American non-readers.

Skyline
01-04-2010, 16:28
The train is the best way to travel IMHO, either for day trips or longer distances that include one, two, or three overnights.

Back in the mid-'70s, up to 1990, I made a point of riding trains as often as I could. For a period, I even bought what used to be called USA Railpasses that allowed unlimited riding for 14, 21, or 30 days (no longer offered). It eventually became a personal challenge to "do" every mile of track Amtrak (and VIA/Canada) used, and I finally completed the challenge in 1990.

Amtrak has been a political football since its inception in May 1971. It has never been given the kind of federal or state support it would need to be on a par with train systems in most other developed countries--just enough $$$ to flounder for another year or so. It is a wonder, some years, how anyone could come away from a train trip feeling good about it but because of some great onboard staff many did. (And some didn't.)

In the early 2000s Amtrak began getting better again, then worse again, when the previous administration tried to kill it off. It is once again getting better again, and has the enthusiastic support of the current administration and a majority in Congress. For all of the reasons previous posters in this thread have outlined, I hope Amtrak is on an upward trend that will last this time. It truly could be a significant player in the people-moving business, just like trains in Europe and Asia. We need that as a nation and as a society.

If you agree, may I direct you to the National Association of Railroad Passengers--a grassroots organization that has been around since the '60s with one agenda: support maintaining and expanding good rail passenger service in the US. Their website is: www.narprail.org (http://www.narprail.org).

For AT travel, Amtrak is everything Jester pointed out and so much more. One thing I would add is that because trains can have delays (often beyond Amtrak's control) due to weather, track blockages, freight congestion, etc. one needs to approach a train trip with the same sense of adventure as one approaches a backpacking trip. Everything could go perfect this time, but next time you might need to be flexible. This (flexibility) is a good learning exercise in prep for trail life.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2010, 22:38
You can go to AMTRAK's website to check them out. You'd most likely take the Capitol Limited from DC to Chicago, which is usually an overnight train, and then a layover in Chicago.

If you have a room for the next leg, you can store your packs in the luggage check in the first class lounge. Otherwise you can put your pack in a locker and walk around Chicago for a while.

Then you'll probably take the Southwest Chief to LA, and the only layover might be Albuquerque for a couple of hours.

Every few stops the train stops for a longer period, about 15 minutes or so, for smoke breaks. I don't remember all of the places they did this, but I do remember one in Raton, CO.

From LA you take a regular commuter train or bus to San Diego, then a bus to Campo, unless you've made arrangements for a shuttle (which are pretty easy to come by near the Kickoff).

For a complete list of stops, though, the routes can be looked up individually on their website.

Youre pretty awesome dude

Bulldawg
01-04-2010, 22:55
I fly to get there fast. Vacation time is at a premium for us. Flight delays have zero effect on me and I don't mind crowds. I get to the airport hours early, get through security and have time to read and nap. Never a problem and I've been flying domestic and international at least once, and sometimes twice, a year every year since 1977. If I want to see the scenery I'll drive, pick my hotels or campgrounds, enjoy a queen size bed, have a real bathroom and shower now and then, eat where I want to eat and when I want to eat. If the US train system ever reaches the level of real service that exists in Canada or Europe I'll reconsider. But as long as it's the welfare child of the Feds, no way.

I bet they'd let you move there pretty quickly since you hate everything about living here anyway!:eek::eek:

Skyline
01-04-2010, 23:20

You may not be aware, but the passenger rail systems in countries that have superb passenger rail systems are mostly government supported. What you call a "welfare child" is in fact government fulfilling its proper role building and maintaining basic infrastructure like roads, bridges, water systems--and yes, railways.

If the USA had frequent, comfortable, competitively priced passenger trains going where people now drive (or fly) we would use less fuel, create less pollution, and our population would suffer less stress.

Our federal government, and state governments, support Amtrak just enough to keep a train running each way on a route perhaps once per day. In some cases, only three times per week. There are many potentially popular routes not served at all. Unless a route is served each way at least six times per day with trains the public really wants to ride, it cannot be a serious player in the public transportation industry. That takes massive government support, as most of the earth's developed nations (and even some third-world nations) have tried to teach us by example. Why can't we learn?

Johnny Thunder
01-04-2010, 23:26
Dear Mrs Baggins,

Kindly return your bank card and check book to whichever welfare child branch it belongs.

the management.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2010, 23:28
Do you really call yourself a hiker?:-?

scope
01-04-2010, 23:49
If you're in a hub like Atlanta, with good airport facilities that are fairly easy to negotiate and plan your time, with stiff competition lowering prices to others hubs like NY, Boston, DC, Denver, Dallas, LA, then the time saved with air travel just makes too much sense. Time via rail is about the same as if you took the family car, and while you get the benefit of lounging in a large seat with legroom, you often end up paying about the same in airfare to do so, often plus overnite accommodations to do so.

That said, the original poster makes a good point that there really is no reason to rush to go hike (on a thru anyway) and rail would be a great way wind down in preparing for the hike. For some areas like Richmond, Mobile, El Paso, Little Rock, you might find that rail is very comparable to airfare if not better.

Plus, air travel is getting annoying. Its one thing to have a lot of security to deal with, but now I've got to pay per bag that I check, plus I have to be very careful on the size and weight of the bag or you get reamed. Its becoming worth it to take the extra time to travel by rail instead of putting up with the hassle of air travel. Its always about maximizing quality time, and typically time spent travelling does not fall in that category, but the airlines are starting to make it that way.

Johnny Thunder
01-04-2010, 23:52
You're lucky to be able to end your travel in Atlanta. Can't tell you how much that place blows when you're trying to get to a Mid-morning on a Monday connection.

scope
01-05-2010, 00:04
You're lucky to be able to end your travel in Atlanta. Can't tell you how much that place blows when you're trying to get to a Mid-morning on a Monday connection.

Yep, connections suck. Same for rail, though, if you have to make a connection on rail, you're typically looking at an overnite in the connecting city.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 00:10
Hey now, all, easy on the Bagginses. Not all of our travels involve hiking, and sometimes there's value in getting somewhere fast. I mean, if you're only free for a long weekend or a week, well, yeah, you want to get there, assuming that the destination is the important thing. And sometimes that is the case, regardless of how many times I have to hear someone say "the journey is the destination." Thanks, Hallmark. Sometimes the destination is the destination.

So I see where the Baggins is coming from. I took a train out west for my PCT hike, but I'll take a plane this year to the Kickoff. Because, tragically, I have to go back to work after the Kickoff.

For a bit. Then I'm off to Trail Days. I'd take the train there, but last time I tried that they tried to charge me double because of the lifesize cardboard cutout.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 00:12
Yep, connections suck. Same for rail, though, if you have to make a connection on rail, you're typically looking at an overnite in the connecting city.

For the Capitol Limited connection to the Southwest Chief it was pretty cool, because the Capitol Limited was an overnight and the time between connections was 7 hours or so.

For me this was nice, because it was a beautiful day and I had never been to Chicago. Got a cheeseburger cheeseburger at the Billy Goat.

leaftye
01-05-2010, 00:38
Plus, air travel is getting annoying.

I'm not sure I ever want to fly again. Frankly, I feel entitled to rock bottom rates after taking my shoes off, completely unpacking my carry-on bag, limiting the # of batteries I take, making sure any bottles are less than a certain size, allowing baggage handlers to abuse and lose my luggage and sitting on the flightline for hours without being given basic updates.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I could afford to throw money away on their premium services, but that's not happening right now. I'd only fly if I was going a considerable distance and I had limited time--Vancouver to San Diego is not far enough.

cheeks
01-05-2010, 09:45
My trip from Union Station in DC to Dahlonega, GA in '07 on Amtrak wasn't too bad. Only problem was the drunk guy they had to escort off in the middle of the night after he kept stumbling and falling onto people on his way back and forth to the drinks car. Why oh why do they serve someone like that drink after drink?

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 12:10
My trip from Union Station in DC to Dahlonega, GA in '07 on Amtrak wasn't too bad. Only problem was the drunk guy they had to escort off in the middle of the night after he kept stumbling and falling onto people on his way back and forth to the drinks car. Why oh why do they serve someone like that drink after drink?

Sorry about that. I was tipping well.

Skyline
01-05-2010, 12:33

Regarding passenger rail, true in a few instances. But for a trip up or down the east coast (i.e., travel to/from the AT just to keep this on point) using routes that run at least once per day each direction I can't think of many examples where this is true unless schedules have been changed recently.

To get to Springer, you would take the Crescent to Gainesville or Atlanta which runs between NYC and New Orleans. From at least Boston south, you can connect to the Crescent same-day if travelling southbound. From New Orleans north, same thing. From places like Montreal, Vermont, Maine you might need an overnight hotel unless you can get creative with multiple modes of transit. Same story if starting in Florida. But for much of the population, an overnight hotel attributable to Amtrak schedules can be avoided if using Amtrak to connect to a point on the AT.

The Crescent and other trains that begin/end in Florida, Chicago, or DC can also be used to connect to other parts of the AT without a hotel.

Getting to/from Katahdin by rail is more complex, I will concede. But that's true for other forms of transportation too.

Most coast-to-coast train travel involves making connections in Chicago. Unless a train is horribly late and misses a connection, there is rarely an overnight required. And in those examples, Amtrak owes you a hotel room and meal/taxi vouchers. Schedules are designed for passengers to connect within a few hours. That leaves time for a leisurely visit in Chicago, which has one of the USA's great downtowns. A win-win IMHO.

East-west train connections in a place like New Orleans will require an overnight in a hotel. There are other examples no doubt but most coast-to-coast connections are made in Chicago.

ShelterLeopard
01-05-2010, 12:44
Amtrak= Awesome.

I have a room on a sleeper train reserved for my Feb. start, from NYC to Gainesville, and I can't wait! I LOVE trains. They are the only way to travel.

Lillianp
01-05-2010, 13:08
I, too, am super excited for my rail trip from NYC to Gainesville (a few days after you, Shlep). I don't have a sleeper cabin, but perhaps the slight lack of sleep I may experience while on the train will contribute to me actually being able to sleep the first night out. (I'm never able to-big scary monsters coming to eat me and all. :-P). I usually travel by air and the last time I travelled by a train was in China. That was 8.5 years ago... Also, being able to bring my pack with me? Super plus.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 13:34
I, too, am super excited for my rail trip from NYC to Gainesville (a few days after you, Shlep). I don't have a sleeper cabin, but perhaps the slight lack of sleep I may experience while on the train will contribute to me actually being able to sleep the first night out. (I'm never able to-big scary monsters coming to eat me and all. :-P). I usually travel by air and the last time I travelled by a train was in China. That was 8.5 years ago... Also, being able to bring my pack with me? Super plus.

I'm betting you won't have trouble sleeping. There's something lulling about the movement of the train, and the coach seats are very comfortable. And if the person next to you keeps you awake (as happened to me on my coach overnight to Chicago), you can sleep in the lounge. The crew will let you do it -- they just rouse anyone sleeping there around 7am or so.

joehiker22
01-05-2010, 13:36
For a period, I even bought what used to be called USA Railpasses that allowed unlimited riding for 14, 21, or 30 days (no longer offered).
Just a minor correction, amtrak still offers unlimited passes:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/Page/1241213285743/1237405732514

DrRichardCranium
01-05-2010, 14:02
In late March, it looks like the trains from Washington DC to Atlanta all leave at 6:30 PM and arrive the next morning at 8:13 AM. Ticket = $99.
An actual room for sleeping would cost an additional $229. Not sure that's worth it, unless I shared it with someone.

ShelterLeopard
01-05-2010, 14:14

My feelings exactly- the room was expensive, but I'm glad I got it! And I'm sure I'll see you on the trail!!!

leaftye
01-05-2010, 14:14
It seems that Amtrak rewards those that reserve tickets at least a few days ahead. Does anyone have experience with how accommodating they may be if you arrive ahead or behind schedule?

Skyline
01-05-2010, 16:34
Just a minor correction, amtrak still offers unlimited passes:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/Page/1241213285743/1237405732514

Those are a good deal, but are designed for short-distance trains that someone may ride a lot (work, school related usually). They are not valid for long-distance trains at all, and exclude certain city pairs and all Acela trains.

What Amtrak used to offer in the '70s and '80s was a truly unlimited USA Railpass for 14, 21, or 30 days anywhere on the Amtrak system. You could even use it on trains that crossed the border to Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. For a pittance ($150 for 14 days is what I usually bought) you could ride and ride and ride. It was fun to come up with scenarios that kept me on connecting trains for almost a week at a time. Then, not unlike a backpacker, it was time to take a "town" day and then go back out for another week or so. :D It wasn't that tough to stay relatively clean on-board, and I travelled with changes of clothing. During "town" day(s) I did laundry in between visiting friends, sightseeing, etc..

The USA Railpass covered coach travel only, though you could upgrade to private sleepers by paying the extra sleeper fee if any were available 30 minutes prior to departure.

Alas, the USA Railpass ended in the early '80s because the Reagan administration wanted to kill off Amtrak and this popular offering became a political football. Foreign visitors can still get something similar to it, but domestic travelers cannot. However, U.S. citizens can get a deal that includes a couple stopovers on the same ticket--so you can select an end-point and then plan intermediate stops along the way to visit friends/family etc. for no extra cost.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 17:32
Those are a good deal, but are designed for short-distance trains that someone may ride a lot (work, school related usually). They are not valid for long-distance trains at all, and exclude certain city pairs and all Acela trains.

What you would actually want are not the multi-passes, but the USA Rail Pass, which is still available, but slightly more complicated than it used to be. USA Rail passes are available for the following time periods/segments: 15 days/8 segments, 30 days/12 segments and 45 days/18 segments.

So what they've done is say that it's not unlimited travel within those time periods. Let's say I wanted to take the train to the Kickoff. Because there's no direct route to California from the East Coast, I'm going to use more than one segment. It would cost me one segment to get from DC to Chicago, and another segment from Chicago to LA. And then, rather than waste a segment to get to San Diego, I'd force Squatch to pick me up and drive me there.

I'd then use two segments getting back, and if I had the 15 day pass, I'd still have four segments to use.

These are the costs, and they're for coach. You can pay for upgrades if they're available the day you travel:

15 days/8 segments:$389.00
30 Days/12 segments: $579.00
45 Days/18 segments: $749.00

All in all, not the USA Rail Pass of old, but still a pretty good deal.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 17:34
Oh, to find this info, go to the "Deals" page:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/Page/1237405732514/1237405732514

and then click on Passes, not Multi-Ride.

Mags
01-05-2010, 17:48
I bet they'd let you move there pretty quickly since you hate everything about living here anyway!:eek::eek:

I recall some similar "love' for Colorado and Oregon, too. :sun

leaftye
01-05-2010, 18:33
Let's talk more about food.

Are the meals limited in size, or buffet? Even if it's the first, I'd hope it's like my flight to Kuwait where they had meals for a full flight, but only 30% full, so they let me eat as many meals as I desired. I desired 9 meals.

The USA Railpass covered coach travel only, though you could upgrade to private sleepers by paying the extra sleeper fee if any were available 30 minutes prior to departure.

Does this apply to a regular one way ticket too? I want to make a reservation, but sleeper accommodation dates can't be changed after purchasing. This means I have two choices:

- Wait till a couple days out to reserve a ticket and sleeper accommodations.
- Order a regular ticket and then see if there's a sleeper available when I arrive at the train, if possible.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 19:30
Meals are limited, and only free if you pay for a room. If you want more, they'll let you pay for another entree. Isn't that nice of them? Even if you don't have a room, you can eat in the dining car. They seat you with other passengers (which I actually like -- good conversations), and then you order off a menu as if you're in a restaurant. The only difference is that you have to pay.

As for the other thing, you can actually upgrade to a room while you're on the train, assuming that one's available. But they do fill up, especially the smaller, cheaper ones, so I wouldn't count on that. And the closer you get to the travel date, the more likely it is that the coach fare will go up. So I think there are two choices there:

Book your coach seat now, and book the room a few days out (you can upgrade at any time, assuming rooms are available), or book both now. If your plans change, you can get a refund for the room as long as you cancel more than a week in advance. If you do it closer, they'll refund the coach fare and give you a credit for the room.

dovecote
01-05-2010, 19:50
It seems that Amtrak rewards those that reserve tickets at least a few days ahead. Does anyone have experience with how accommodating they may be if you arrive ahead or behind schedule?
Amtrak publishes four different coach fares and five different roomette and bedroom fares for each given city pair. A certain number of coach seats, roomettes, and bedrooms are placed in each fare "bucket". These different type of accomodations start selling at the lowest fare bucket. When all of those seats or roomettes are sold in a given fare bucket, the system starts selling rooms at the next higher bucket, and so on until the highest bucket is reached and then the given item (coach seat, roomette, or bedroom) is sold out.

Amtrak is very accomodating if your plans change and you want to revise your trip to a different date. The problem is that you could trade a lower fare bucket for a higher one when changing your travel date especially at the last minute.

leaftye
01-05-2010, 20:34
Thanks for the extra info. To summarize the things that matter to me,

The actual travel takes longer, but it's much easier to get on board.

You're never restricted to your seat. You can move around, go to the lounge or cafe. Some trains have a business class, and this will reserve you a seat if you wish.

Seats in coach spread out to make sleeping easier. Base sleeper rooms have two beds and have access to a shower. The bigger room has a shower in it. Riders in coach don't have access to showers. All rooms have at least one electrical outlet.

A coach ticket can be rescheduled with as little as an hour of advance notice. A sleeper ticket needs more than a week notice for a refund--less will result in a credit.

Anyone can eat the cafe, but a meal is included with the price of sleeper accommodations, although you'll have to pay for extra servings and entrees.

There's a size restrictions on carry-ons, but the porter may allow larger packs anyway.

Fuel is not allowed on the train, but empty fuel bottles are okay. Sharp and pointy objects are okay too, but may have to go in the baggage car. (assumption)

Prices go up as the train fills up, so it pays to buy tickets early.

For PCT hikers, take Greyhound from Manning Park to Vancouver.

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2010, 20:43
rode the train from nebraska to utah once thru denver then the rockies!
it was awesome. i did not have a sleeper the seats were large and reclined. being able to walk around the train was nice you could go down stairs and look right out these huge door/windows. you could reach out and touch the rocks they were so close.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 20:50
Just a few minor points, so as to make sure we've got it down.

. . . Some trains have a business class, and this will reserve you a seat if you wish.

Yes, but also all coach seats on trains that travel overnight are reserved too, so you'll definitely have a particular seat. You just won't be forced to sit in it all of the time.

Seats in coach spread out to make sleeping easier. Base sleeper rooms have two beds and have access to a shower. The bigger room has a shower in it. Riders in coach don't have access to showers. All rooms have at least one electrical outlet. . .

The next level up from the basic room also has a sink, toilet, and a third seat (and technically you can fit three people in it -- it's allowed, but kind of cramped).

Anyone can eat the cafe, but a meal is included with the price of sleeper accommodations, although you'll have to pay for extra servings and entrees.

There's also usually an overpriced snack bar on the lower level of the observation lounge car, but unlike planes they're not going to disallow you from bringing your own drinks onboard, and you can bring snacks as well.

Fuel is not allowed on the train, but empty fuel bottles are okay. Sharp and pointy objects are okay too, but may have to go in the baggage car. (assumption)

I've never heard of a backpack being searched for anything on a train, so I don't think you'd be required to put you pack in a baggage car, but worst case scenario (I think) would be that your pack would go on the big luggage shelves on the lower level (still accessible when traveling).

Nuthatch
01-06-2010, 01:33
Meals are limited, and only free if you pay for a room. Just a clarification: meals are not "free", they are part of the sleeper car package.

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 01:48
Just a clarification: meals are not "free", they are part of the sleeper car package.

Assuming you're not just into having arguments over semantics, can you tell me what the practical difference is between the two? I'm just wondering because it's the second time you've felt it important to mention that they're "included" in the package rather than "only free if you pay for a room," so I'm thinking there must be an important difference.

Skyline
01-06-2010, 11:57
What you would actually want are not the multi-passes, but the USA Rail Pass, which is still available, but slightly more complicated than it used to be. USA Rail passes are available for the following time periods/segments: 15 days/8 segments, 30 days/12 segments and 45 days/18 segments.

So what they've done is say that it's not unlimited travel within those time periods. Let's say I wanted to take the train to the Kickoff. Because there's no direct route to California from the East Coast, I'm going to use more than one segment. It would cost me one segment to get from DC to Chicago, and another segment from Chicago to LA. And then, rather than waste a segment to get to San Diego, I'd force Squatch to pick me up and drive me there.

I'd then use two segments getting back, and if I had the 15 day pass, I'd still have four segments to use.

These are the costs, and they're for coach. You can pay for upgrades if they're available the day you travel:

15 days/8 segments:$389.00
30 Days/12 segments: $579.00
45 Days/18 segments: $749.00

All in all, not the USA Rail Pass of old, but still a pretty good deal.

Thank you, Jester! This is a much better deal than the multi-passes. I was not aware Amtrak re-invented the USA Railpass, albeit only a shadow of its former self and a lot more $$$. Still, it would make me want to jump back on the trains and ride, ride, ride.

Now, if I could only find the time. Life gets in the way. Gone are the days when I could take off consecutive weeks to section-hike or ride trains or much anything else. But now I really want to find a way!

To do the kind of itineraries I used to do, I would most likely need the $579 pass. It would not be a problem to put together a 12-segment trip that would take less than two weeks.

Aside from the scenery/sightseeing, and the visitation of friends in distant states, I always appreciated the on-board comaraderie found--especially on long-haul routes. The longer the better--so LONG east/west trains that included a connecting trip along the West Coast were the best.

Unless one is a complete introvert, it is almost impossible not to bond with at least a few fellow passengers each trip, especially in the lounge and dining cars. I still share friendships first made in the 1970s aboard Amtrak and VIA Canada trains that are maintained today. (Not that unlike long-distance hiking in this respect.)

Again, thanks for the great news!

ki0eh
01-06-2010, 12:40
(Not that unlike long-distance hiking in this respect.)

Are there "rail names" that correspond to trail names?

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 12:51
Aside from the scenery/sightseeing, and the visitation of friends in distant states, I always appreciated the on-board comaraderie found--especially on long-haul routes. . .

I know! I met a lot of cool people in the dining car, and had a bit of a party in the lounge with a group of travellers one afternoon. It was so much fun! And a lot of those people took train trip that were their vacations, and had done many, many different routes, the way hikers do different trails.

It was pretty cool.

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 13:15
I already said some of this, but because I love trains:

First, I think it's a really nice, relaxing way to start my thru. Especially since I'll have been stressed about finishing work, getting out maildrops and all for the week leading up to it, it'll be nice to relax. Trains are soothing. I like planes just fine, but I love trains. You can walk around, go to the dining car, etc... And have a view. And sleep. In a real bed.

And they have a whole stack of travel packets of grey poupon mustard in the snack car to get with a cheese and cracker plate. (Though I may just bring a baguette and brie for eating in between meals)

And you can carry on all sorts of things you can't carry on in a plane, and there's pretty much no security at all you need to go through (I mean, who could hijack a train? "Driver, um... keep going straight.")

I'll admit though, I've never been on a sleeper train in America. Only in Russia. So I've been in a really different type of car. (Beautiful, beautiful cars)

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 13:23
I mean, who could hijack a train? "Driver, um... keep going straight."

Hahahahahaha! "Take this train to Cuba!"

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 13:42
Hahahahahaha! "Take this train to Cuba!"

"You boys like Mex-e-ko!?! Whooooooo!!!!"

Skyline
01-06-2010, 18:14

LOL. Not that I know of.

Among on-board employees, there may be nicknames, but among passengers or "railfans," I've never heard of any.

Skyline
01-06-2010, 18:17
I know! I met a lot of cool people in the dining car, and had a bit of a party in the lounge with a group of travellers one afternoon. It was so much fun! And a lot of those people took train trip that were their vacations, and had done many, many different routes, the way hikers do different trails.

It was pretty cool.

Don't forget movies in the lounge car on Amtrak's western trains. And on long-haul VIA Canada trains, they play bingo! :banana

Cookerhiker
01-06-2010, 18:25

Well on long bicycling trips (not that I've done that many), my name becomes Cookerbiker.

And he doesn't know this, but Hikerhead/Hokey Pokey's name becomes Hokey Spokey.

the goat
01-08-2010, 17:22
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Amtrak-Train-Delayed-81008957.html

......just sayin'

KTR
01-08-2010, 17:28
Agree here with theese words of wisdom. Iv'e come down a few times with "Solace" from NH & NY and we have always had a good fun laden time! Conductors always grin when they see the SIZE of our cooler. " gee there fella's, awful lot of sandwiches huh?"

48 empty cans later and a nice relaxing ride into Gainseville.

So yes all, TAKE THE TRAIN !

Skyline
01-08-2010, 23:21

......just sayin'

***** happens, even on a train.

I've had exactly one experience like they had, in 1976, out of the 120,000+ miles I've travelled on Amtrak and VIA. And even on that trip, there were fun moments. But it was early July and the train was stuck in the hot desert of Utah for six hours due to a freight train derailment way up the line. Now that wasn't fun.

waywardfool
01-09-2010, 00:16
Saw mention of electrical outlets in the rooms... The last time I rode coach (to DC), the car I was in had outlets on about every other row of seats.

Tuckahoe
01-09-2010, 10:15

......just sayin'

Seems to me that this isnt so much Amtrak's fault as it is nature's. What exactly would one expect Amtrak to do? Seems to me some people just need to suck it up.

ki0eh
01-09-2010, 11:15
Don't forget movies in the lounge car :banana

I don't think they do that anymore, no sign of that on the California Zephyr we took on 1/2/2010. Reference (http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amthints-on-train.shtml) that says lounge car movies in the West ended in 2006. Plenty of folks were watching movies on their laptops with headphones, plugged in to those AC outlets that worked. (One side of one lounge car didn't have working AC outlets.)

Or net surfing, although sometimes the trains pass through areas of "no service" when the tracks get too far away from the Interstates. (Such as between Cumberland, MD and Connellsville, PA.)

ShelterLeopard
01-10-2010, 00:35
If I remember correctly, they do kid's movies still. Not sure about other movies. (Under description of "riding with the family" or something...)

DrRichardCranium
02-23-2010, 23:51
http://www.gadling.com/2010/02/23/videos-bad-baggage-handlers-or-remind-me-why-we-pay-to-check/

Another reason to avoid airplanes: Luggage Monkeys!

Surplusman
02-24-2010, 17:56
I ride Amtrak from beautiful downtown Springfield MA to DC Union Station, and with the exception of one miserable four hour delay in the dark at Penn Station in NYC, it IS relaxing to take the train instead of the flying circus at Bradley International Airport. Usually cheaper, too. But stay away from the snack car which is too expensive. Bring your own eats. I arrive at Union Station totally relaxed. A short ride on the Metro out to Northern VA and a mile hike and I'm at my destination. I love it! :)

10-K
02-24-2010, 18:23
I've got a train ticket from NC to NYC... Does the train stop at every station like a bus or is it non-stop?

Jester2000
02-24-2010, 18:59
I ride Amtrak from beautiful downtown Springfield MA to DC Union Station, and with the exception of one miserable four hour delay in the dark at Penn Station in NYC, it IS relaxing to take the train instead of the flying circus at Bradley International Airport. Usually cheaper, too. But stay away from the snack car which is too expensive. Bring your own eats. I arrive at Union Station totally relaxed. A short ride on the Metro out to Northern VA and a mile hike and I'm at my destination. I love it! :)

The northeast corridor does tend to have the most delays, while at the same time being more expensive. You're absolutely right about the snack bar. One of the nice things about trains is they don't confiscate my water or anything else I'm carrying before I get on. I, too, bring my own snacks.

I've got a train ticket from NC to NYC... Does the train stop at every station like a bus or is it non-stop?

How many stops there will be depends on the route. You should be able to look up the schedule for your train online.

DapperD
02-24-2010, 22:28
In another thread, a poster made the following comment:

. . . i check on a slepping room they want way to much for it $222.00 plus you rail fare
that is just to much for a 12 hour ride total would be $317.00 and they wonder why no one ride the
trail thank for your help

I presume he meant "ride the train" rather than "ride the trail," but I wanted to post not only that people do, in fact, ride the train (I took the train out west to hike the PCT), but why hikers should ride a train rather than fly.

Here are the advantages:
First of all, train travel is a nice, relaxing way to decompress from your regular life before you get on the trail. Instead of rushing through an airport, worrying about what security might or might not allow, worrying about your checked backpack (without which you cannot hike), worrying about delays and your connecting flight, squeezing yourself into a too-small seat and receiving poor service from overworked flight attendants who charge you for just about anything you might want except the bathroom (and I can see pay toilets in their future), why not take a train?

You want to have your stove, fuel, knife, etc. in your pack and carry it on the train? No problem. No long lines at security, and your pack is with you the whole time. Coach seats on a train are wide, comfortable, and have a leg extension that pops up for when you want to sleep. If the person next to you keeps you up, you can go sleep in the lounge. You can wander around a train as much as you want and no one tells you to go back to your seat. Meals are served in an actual dining car, and if your hunger isn't on their schedule, there's a snack bar under the observation lounge.

There are no connecting flights to miss, and Amtrak doesn't cancel trains to try to fit more people onto the next train going out.

What are the negatives? Well, it takes longer. Usually overnight. But as I'll show in a moment, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and if you're going on a thru-hike you really should learn to stop rushing around sooner rather than later. As the post that inspired this thread notes, it can also be more expensive. But in my mind, that's not necessarily so. Here's why:

I did two comparable searches from the original poster's general location for March 1st. Here's what I found. Flying, the cheapest flight I found out of Baltimore to Atlanta was $106.70, including taxes but not including bag fees. Anything this cheap included a connecting flight, which you could miss (or the airlines could lose your bag). To get a direct flight, the cost was $117.60, again, not including bag fees. Almost every cheaper flight got you into Atlanta late in the day, meaning that it would be unlikely that you'd hit the trail the same day. So you might end up factoring in a hotel if you take a cheaper flight, which actually makes the more expensive flights cheaper overall.

This cost does not include getting from Atlanta to the trailhead.

For that date, the cost for a reserved coach seat on Amtrak is $100.00, cheaper than the cheap connection flights that get you to Atlanta late. The Crescent train arrives in Gainesville, GA at around 7am, plenty early to get to the trail and start hiking.

Now, for a 13 hour train ride, I wouldn't bother getting a sleeper car because coach train seats are way more comfortable than coach seats on a plane, and you can go to the lounge to hang out, but let's say you want to.

The cheapest room on The Crescent is a Viewliner Roomette. You pay the base $100.00 fare, and then it's an additional $174.00 for the room. That sounds pricey ($274.00), but that includes a room with a toilet (and showers nearby), room for your pack so it never leaves your sight, meals are also included, as is coffee, bottled water, and a newspaper (all from your porter, who provides excellent service).

So basically you're getting your transportation, meals, and a room with a porter for $274.00. But if you want to make it cheaper, find someone who wants to start hiking when you do who's from your general area. Because although you both have to pay for the base fare, the room is one price whether there's one person in it or two.

For a Baltimore to Gainesville train with a sleeper room, that would lower the cost to $187.00 each. Not bad, considering what you get, and the hassles of flying that you don't have to deal with.

The $100.00 reserved coach seat is a steal, though, and for those of you who are all into your carbon footprint, the train is more efficient, energy-wise, than planes.

Take the train -- it's a much better way to travel.I am sure it is a good way to travel, however like anything, not without its share of troubles. Check out this Amtrak nightmare:http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=298163

leaftye
02-24-2010, 23:08
At least that guy was able to sneak off the train. Try doing that when an airline holds you hostage on a flightline, all the food is gone and the toilets are full.

white_russian
02-24-2010, 23:25
At least that guy was able to sneak off the train. Try doing that when an airline holds you hostage on a flightline, all the food is gone and the toilets are full.

Getting stuck on the tarmac is just as bad as Amtrak putting you on a greyhound bus. The airlines are getting the 3 hour rule so that is not going to be an issue anymore. Amtrak goes through the same food and toilet issues during major delays. At least the airlines don't put people on greyhound buses during iregular operations. Just by the nature of the limited service on long distance routes Amtrak can't handle irregular operations in a reasonable nature.

leaftye
02-24-2010, 23:57
I don't mind Greyhound. I do mind riding coach on an airplane. Besides, if I can sneak off the train like the guy in that journal did, then toilet issues aren't going to be a problem for me.

Jester2000
02-25-2010, 03:20
At least the airlines don't put people on greyhound buses during iregular operations. . .

Be nice if they offered it, though.

I once had an airline pay for me and two guys I didn't know to share a cab from Derry, Northern Ireland to Dublin.

Not a particularly fun trip, but it got me where I needed to go. It was an Irish airline. An American airline probably would have told me to sit in Derry and wait for a day or two.

Marta
02-25-2010, 07:56

This is true. When we were imprisoned in our car in Minot, ND, and pressed the button to let ourselves out, the conductor from another car rushed over and told us we were not allowed to do that, that he might have us arrested, and that he might hurt me if I shouted at him again. But at least we were off the foodless, hot-water-less train for an hour or so.:rolleyes:

The airlines have inconvenienced me many times as well... Inconsiderate of them.

stranger
02-26-2010, 02:21
I've flown all around the world, many times, been across the Pacific 21 times, been from New Zealand to Australia about 16 times, aroudn the world twice, been all across the US on bus, train, air and rental car...

Amtrak may not be the most flash service, but as for consistency, they are more reliable than Greyhound and FAR more reliable than US Domestic flights. Domestic air travel in America is crap, and it's getting worse, not better. I'm happy to take Amtrak cause I know I will get there, even if it takes a little longer!

17 hours to Gainesville from NY sounds like alot, but when you factor in everything involving domestic air travel, I would much rather take the overnight train to Georgia, then attempt an domestic flight. In 2008, a guy I hiked with flew to Atlanta...his original flight was delayed 3 hours, then cancelled, by the time he got in the air he had been at the airport for 18 hours, then a three hour flight to Atlanta. He still had to get to Gainesville after that and arrived in Gainesville completely distressed and very pissed off after more than 24 hours in transit.

I hugged my parents goodbye in NY, hopped a train, and arrived in Gainesville 17 hours later, and at Springer Mountain 2 hours after that, all up cost me about $170 from NY to summit of Springer Mountain, for me it's a no brainer and to be honest...I'm not in a rush, I'm going walking in the woods!

David@whiteblaze
02-27-2010, 11:40
Seeing as how I plan to hike starting in Key West, this will probably apply to 0.01% of users (meaning me) but I can walk a mile to the amtrak station and get a ride to Miami or St. Pete for $29-32 but from either of those, the shuttle rate is $100+- so, quick rides (8 hours total.) large money. (If it matters, the going rate from tampa to Miami/ St. Pete is aabout $100)

tuswm
02-27-2010, 13:30
My family took a trip around the country visiting national parks for 6 months. My Father was a photographer. We were able to buy some sort of long term pass. I don't know if they still do that. I will say that most of the trip went smooth and i have fond memories about the people I met on the trail. I liked how you could walk around from car to car.

We did miss connecting trains twice and lost one bag in six months. It made my father real pissed when our train was late and we missed the connecting train but they did never give us a hard time about getting us on the next train and when the one bag was lost my mom got a whole new wardrobe and her bag showed up the next day.

Overall it was a nice experience.

tuswm
02-27-2010, 13:31
* trail = train

ha ha i did it too.