PDA

View Full Version : Hitch-hiking problems?

ridgewalker777
09-07-2004, 17:51
Problem areas or state for hitching? I heard Maine was hard but I didn't have much trouble getting back to Monson after the 100 mile wilderness or Rangeley/rt.4 after finishing in Monson...New York was supposed to be hard. After hiking from Kent to Bear Mountain, I hitched back and was picked up by a former drug-dealer who filled me in on his life and work. He wanted $40 to get me back to Kent, which I agreed to after considering how hard it would probably be to go from rts.6 to 22 to 55 to 7 etc....

Peaks
09-07-2004, 18:08
It's probably hard to get a ride in areas with a lot of out of state tourists.

For me, Maine was easy. Outside Rangely, the first car stopped and offered me a ride.

Nightwalker
09-07-2004, 19:48
It's probably hard to get a ride in areas with a lot of out of state tourists.

For me, Maine was easy. Outside Rangely, the first car stopped and offered me a ride.
I've always gotten easy rides. They ALL say: "I only picked you up because of the pack."

walkin' wally
09-07-2004, 20:02
Today I picked up Satori (sp?) in Rangeley where he was hitching on main street for a trip back to the AT trailhead. He said he left Springer on February 29 and was taking his time hiking. He was seeing the sights and wanted to see a moose if possible. He was meeting with a larger group at the Rt 4 parking area.
Today was a great day for hiking.

rocket04
09-09-2004, 11:18
I never had any problems. Monson was one of the places I waited longest, and that took about 30 minutes. For the rest of the hike, I hardly ever waited more than 5 minutes.

No Pepsi
09-09-2004, 14:03
Last year, Maine was fairly easy. Penn and NJ very, very tough!!! Take it from an avid hitchhiker.

TankHiker
09-09-2004, 15:44
Yeah, I thought Maine was the easiest place on the trail to get a hitch. When I was walking into Monson, I (jokingly) stuck my thumb out while I was walking down the stairs to the road crossing. And wouldn't you know, a car pulled over! I think the only reason Maine may be a hard hitch is because some of the roads don't get much traffic. But most of the traffic is local, so they will be more apt to help out.

I never really had to wait more than about 10 minutes for a hitch. I think the toughest for me were in Manchester Center (Vermont) and Great Barrington (Mass).

-Tank

Peaks
09-09-2004, 16:17
I thought Manchester Center was the easiest place to catch a ride. The locals know what's going on, so if you have a pack, you don't even need to put out your thumb. They will stop and ask if you would like a ride.