PDA

View Full Version : I helped build the PCT Snow Creek section

300winmag
01-03-2010, 16:29
In 1980 I was a Nordic Ski Patroller at the Lake Placid Olympics. I had met Bruce Bell, another Nordic Patroller, at the 1979 World Cup Pre-Olympics and discovered he and his two brothers owned Bell Brothers Trail Builders. So in 1980, after the Olympics, I convinced Bruce to hire me to work on the then under-construction PCT.
I flew out to LA, met Bruce, got a week's worth of grub and went up near Wildwood and way back dirt roads to the trail camp beside Snow Creek.

We worked for CA laborer's wages which was then $12.90/hour. We all lived in our own tents, cooked breakfast and dinner on camp stoves, packed lunches and carried 1 1/2 gallons of water every day and worked like animals. Our tools were sledge hammers, picks, chain saw, Swedish gas-powered drill (for drilling explosive holes in rocks), steel lever bars and, in the non-wilderness area, "The Machine", a custom made tiny bulldozer with a 3 ft. wide blade.

As you can guess, at that pay rate the bosses worked our butts off. Work began at 7,500 ft and for a lowlander from Pennsylvania I took a week to become acclimated so I could work at a full pace.

It was sometimes hazardous work. Bruce and I narrrowly missed getting crushed by a rock avalanche of boulders the size of Volkswagens. :eek:
I never saw him so shaken. But we continued our work, albeit more cautiously.

So that's how I did my part in building the PCT. It was a rare experience for me and I returned to Erie, Pennsylvania a pretty tough character at the end of that arduous summer.

Megapixel
01-03-2010, 16:32
In 1980 I was a Nordic Ski Patroller at the Lake Placid Olympics. I had met Bruce Bell, another Nordic Patroller, at the 1979 World Cup Pre-Olympics and discovered he and his two brothers owned Bell Brothers Trail Builders. So in 1980, after the Olympics, I convinced Bruce to hire me to work on the then under-construction PCT.
I flew out to LA, met Bruce, got a week's worth of grub and went up near Wildwood and way back dirt roads to the trail camp beside Snow Creek.

We worked for CA laborer's wages which was then $12.90/hour. We all lived in our own tents, cooked breakfast and dinner on camp stoves, packed lunches and carried 1 1/2 gallons of water every day and worked like animals. Our tools were sledge hammers, picks, chain saw, Swedish gas-powered drill (for drilling explosive holes in rocks), steel lever bars and, in the non-wilderness area, "The Machine", a custom made tiny bulldozer with a 3 ft. wide blade.

As you can guess, at that pay rate the bosses worked our butts off. Work began at 7,500 ft and for a lowlander from Pennsylvania I took a week to become acclimated so I could work at a full pace.

It was sometimes hazardous work. Bruce and I narrrowly missed getting crushed by a rock avalanche of boulders the size of Volkswagens. :eek:
I never saw him so shaken. But we continued our work, albeit more cautiously.

So that's how I did my part in building the PCT. It was a rare experience for me and I returned to Erie, Pennsylvania a pretty tough character at the end of that arduous summer.

I would love to read some journals / stories from your experiences during this time. Sounds very interesting!

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 16:48
we got lots o work all over the AT. our tools are crappy but our trailbosses legendary. whenever a hiker kicks aside a bit of bramble, they have helped build trail.

300winmag
01-03-2010, 17:21
Matt,

Yep, I've done a lot of trail maintenance in my 66 years but the PCT thing was building from scratch, just following the surveyor's stakes, pulling tread W/ picks, building new switchbacks and blasting through rocks. It was the blasting that caused the boulder avalanche I referred to in my original post.

Eric

leaftye
01-03-2010, 17:28
That's awesome. I'll keep you in mind as I do that section.

Miner
01-03-2010, 17:30
Well we probably could use you again in a few years. They are finally going to move the PCT off the Mojave Desert floor and up into the Tehachapi Mtns where Tejon Ranch is so there will be 40 miles of new trail to be built from scratch.

leaftye
01-03-2010, 17:40
Is this what you'd call a shovel-ready project?

300winmag
01-04-2010, 03:26
"Miner",
That's good news removing the Southern PCT off the Mojave and up into the mountains.

First it gets hikers away from possible problems with illegals and their coyotes who are in the area.

Second it puts the trail into cooler terrain with possibilities for water.

Eric

leaftye
01-04-2010, 03:57
I especially like the cooler aspect.

I thought coyotes primarily operated near the border? Maybe I need to brush up on my lingo.

Cabin Fever
01-04-2010, 09:05
Matt,

Yep, I've done a lot of trail maintenance in my 66 years but the PCT thing was building from scratch, just following the surveyor's stakes, pulling tread W/ picks, building new switchbacks and blasting through rocks. It was the blasting that caused the boulder avalanche I referred to in my original post.

Eric

That's what relocations on the AT are.

sbhikes
01-04-2010, 11:40
The desert crossing that will be rerouted is 500 miles from the border. Personally, I liked that part enough to do it twice. The second time was thundershowers and rainbows.

I was always amazed at the construction that went into the PCT. It is an engineering marvel. And the section you worked was one of the more amazing ones. But tell us please, why so many pointless switchbacks?

300winmag
01-05-2010, 02:13
Well, we asked the inspecting Ranger the same thing and he said likely ther were so many switchbacks because the Forest Service (our contracting agent) was worried about erosion from the tread running too straight, though we placed a lot of presure-treated 10"X10" water bars in that section. As I lugged rocks into place for switchback foundations I too wondered why the he!! we had so many.

Since the PCT is a "horse-ready" trail I guess they were worried about the wear on the tread from lots of equine use. Rangers "supposably" (supposedly) ride the trail to patrol it. But with Bush having raided the federal agencies budgets for the Iran war money I doubt if you'll see any rangers om the trail. I never saw any rangers on the trail to Olancha Peak this summer but I DID see lots of horses 'road apples' on the trail from time to time. ;) In fact the ONLY rangers I ever saw on the trail was in Yosemite, along the White Wolf to Tolumne River trail area.

AsABat
02-03-2010, 13:24
I understand why switchbacks, but sure don't understand that mile-long one at the bottom of Snow Creek. It seems for too long you are just barely above the lower section, and there are several (illegal) shortcuts that are as well-worn as the trail itself.