PDA

View Full Version : TarpTent Moment

300winmag
01-03-2010, 17:05
I sold my TT Contrail when I saw the photos of the TT Moment. At 28 oz. , only 2 oz. more than the Contrail, I guessed that it was far more wind resistant than the Contrail and I was right. At Arapaho Pass in Colorado's Indian Peaks range in late October I experienced all night winds of 35-45 mph. and the Moment was solid, but a bit breezy inside due to the 360 deg. netting. Laying clothes & stuff sacks on the netting tamed it pretty well.

This tent is just amazing in its design, attention to needed details and quality. And it's American made.

If I ever section hike the AT again (doubtful) I'll still carry a tent. The "shelter" experience is not for me! In fact the entire AT is just way too crowded for me. I much preferred Pennsylvania's 80 mile Sesquehannock Trail Syatem (STS) to the AT. When I backpack I'm not there to socialize (or sign trail registers unless required by regulation). Even Yosemite's trails at times can get too crowded for my taste.

Eric

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 17:35
I saw the Moment has an optional pole that turns it into a free standing shelter..Did you use the pole or just stake down??

The free standing option is to my liken, If you used it, how well did it work??

Graywolf

300winmag
01-05-2010, 03:39
I have the long outer crossing pole but will only carry it when sea kayaking in case I have to pitch the tent on a big rock. The Moment is fine without the crossing pole. As I said, just guy it out at the guy loops on either side of the main hoop.

g8trh8tr
01-05-2010, 15:11
I have been eyeing the moment. It looks pretty stormworthy. Do you have plenty of room for you and your gear inside or do you store it in the vestibule. How much room do the vestibules provide?

300winmag
01-05-2010, 20:16
The Moment's interior is fine for size. There's a triangular space opposite the door for storing stuff and the vestibule is great.

You can place your pack in the vestibule to the left of the door and cook in front of the netting door. The tent's floor by the door even pulls up off a Velcro strip for more vestibule space. This tent is loaded with conveniance details everywhere you look. Buddhists are not supposed to form attatchments to objects but I'm becoming attatched to this shelter!

g8trh8tr
01-05-2010, 20:58
Thanks for the input 300....I appreciate it.

fresh-start
10-16-2010, 03:33
Does the moment come with a bug net around the perimiter of the flooring like the contrail comes with?? It appears that this has a bathtub flooring is that correct? looking to invest in a new tent and im looking into them all for a worthy investment!

Acort
10-16-2010, 08:43
Yes their is bug netting around the perimeter. I just got this tent last week and seamed sealed it. I will be taking this tent with me next week on the long trail. My only concern is condensation. This is my first Silnylon single wall tent. This tent has a lot of room inside. I had a MSR Hubba and when you used the inner tent you really didn't have any extra space inside. I think in a pinch you could fit two people inside this tent?

nawlunz
10-16-2010, 10:06
I sold my TT Contrail when I saw the photos of the TT Moment. At 28 oz. , only 2 oz. more than the Contrail, I guessed that it was far more wind resistant than the Contrail and I was right. At Arapaho Pass in Colorado's Indian Peaks range in late October I experienced all night winds of 35-45 mph. and the Moment was solid, but a bit breezy inside due to the 360 deg. netting. Laying clothes & stuff sacks on the netting tamed it pretty well.

This tent is just amazing in its design, attention to needed details and quality. And it's American made.

If I ever section hike the AT again (doubtful) I'll still carry a tent. The "shelter" experience is not for me! In fact the entire AT is just way too crowded for me. I much preferred Pennsylvania's 80 mile Sesquehannock Trail Syatem (STS) to the AT. When I backpack I'm not there to socialize (or sign trail registers unless required by regulation). Even Yosemite's trails at times can get too crowded for my taste.

Eric

looking for more information and practical experience with this tarptent. In reading the reviews as far as ease of set up, weight, holding up in wind, etc., it seemed too good to be true. I want a shelter that was lightweight, easy to put up, take down, and give good protection...seems like this one fits the bill!!

So, I think I was right on the verge of purchasing....but this may have tipped the scales..
THANKS

Franco
10-16-2010, 18:26
The liners for the Moment are now ready.
This adds a layer on about 2/3ds of the interior , useful if condensation bothers you. It sits about 1" below the fly so very little space is lost.
$30 , 4 oz. The Moment shipped out now are ready for it, the older ones, need two clips sewn in.
Very easy to do, I have just done mine.
They come with instructions. (the kit is free of charge)
If you need the upgrade clips just mention that in the comment section when ordering.
Keep in mind that Henry is out hiking for a few days .
Franco

RonZilla1974
12-07-2010, 00:30
Hi!
I've been reading this thread, checking out all the shelters mentioned, and this TT Moment looks awesome. (stupid question, i know, but i'm a getting-lighter-newbie)but I'm planning a early march2011 AT thru hike(1st one!)and i wonder if anyone went through some rough storms with it and if it's warm enough.
I sectioned the Oregon PCT with a Spitfire-1,(3+lbs) and moving to a shelter like this would be totally new for me. i've always been a "Tenter", but I'd like to get in on these tarps. also are there similar (storm-worthy) shelters that are a maybe a bit lower in price or any recommendations? I surely do not want a 3lb tent for 2000+miles!
Thanks!