PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of handwarmers...

4shot
01-03-2010, 19:34
went up in the attic today looking for my good (ski) gloves due to recent weather and some upcoming backpacking trips plus one to Kansas for a pheasant hunt.I haven't been skiing in 8 years or so but there in the plastic containers where we keep some of that stuff I found a plastic bag full of old hand and foot warmers. Since I have an 2 night trip this week, I had been thinking of getting some anyways. However, I decided to test these as the package had no notice of an expiration date...opened up a pair (original package was intact) and these things barely produced any heat at all and only for a short period.

I keep a couple pairs in my truck's emergency kit..they are probably 2-3 years old. I wonder if they are worthless as well. Does anyone know how long these things last? Thanks.

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 19:56
they never work. ever. any brand. new or old. people who will disagree are feeling heat. but not much. and only cause they use freash ones that are protected from any holes and air gettin in before use. the packageing breaths enough to really defeat these things shelf life. they cannot be counted on because you cant keep the packageing intact or even be sure its sealed ever. use food, clotheing and planning and tecnique to warm yourself.

RevLee
01-03-2010, 20:31
they never work. ever. any brand. new or old. people who will disagree are feeling heat. but not much. and only cause they use freash ones that are protected from any holes and air gettin in before use. the packageing breaths enough to really defeat these things shelf life. they cannot be counted on because you cant keep the packageing intact or even be sure its sealed ever. use food, clotheing and planning and tecnique to warm yourself.

I had a burn that would disagree with you. Accidentally put one on the inside of my base layer instead of outside on the small of my back and ended up with a substantial second degree burn.

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 20:35
but thats a long shot. go to 3 stores and buy some. some wont work .

Hooch
01-03-2010, 20:37
but thats a long shot. go to 3 stores and buy some. some wont work .Maybe they belong to a handwarmer labor union. :rolleyes::p

medicjimr
01-03-2010, 20:48
There hit and miss Sometimes they work all depends on brand I will have to look at the brand I am using now so far so good but I buy fresh every year there normaly not that exspensive anyway.

4shot
01-03-2010, 20:57
but thats a long shot. go to 3 stores and buy some. some wont work .

"than they don't ever work" as per your first post in this thread. until I had opened the old ones, I never had any that failed. of course, I had never had any burns from ones either. I do not use them as a substitute for good gear but find they have added a little comfort to my hands and feet in what most any person from the southern USA would find to be uncomfortably cold conditions...skiing/hunting in high elevations in New Mexico/Colorado/B.C. Unfortunately my trip this week here in Tennessee might come close to matching some of those conditions

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 21:05
they dont ever some work
some dont ever they work
work some dont ever they
dont work some ever they

note to user: matthew weinstone aka matthewski is a known drinker of fluids contained in foot warmers witch is identical to knob creek given to him by jesters mom.

birdog
01-03-2010, 21:22
It's been my experience that shelf does play a major role in effectiveness. I have some that I had squirreled away for two years and they work great...for about 10 minutes then die out. I bought some fresh ones from Wallyworld and they worked as advertised. I don't normally carry these things as they are relatively heavy and the heat produced is fine for short periods. I like to rely on my clothing and experience more than pocket hand warmers. Also, after they burn out, I hate to pack out more trash than I have to.

4shot
01-03-2010, 21:24
note to user: matthew weinstone aka matthewski is a known drinker of fluids contained in foot warmers witch is identical to knob creek given to him by jesters mom.

my old warmers into some type of knob creek concoction? I am gettin' low on provisions and my favorite supplier of choice up in Clay County ain't makin' any more corn squeezins until his Uncle Jed gets paroled.;)

karo
01-03-2010, 23:27
The handwarmers are sealed in a small plastic bag and therefore could have the seal lost over time and excessive handling. I have found more than one pair that had one of the two already hardened/used up.

300winmag
01-04-2010, 03:55
Handwarmers are air activated. Air gradually PENETRATES plastics and causes the handwarmers to lose their heating ability.

I only buy handwarmers wrapped in foil tbecause it keeps air out. But I can't find them when I need them. (And my senior brain forgets the brand name. :eek:)

Eric
BTW, for the same reason one should only buy freeze dried food whose packaging has a thin layer of foil somewhere in the laminate.

Buzz_Lightfoot
01-04-2010, 14:16
went up in the attic today looking for my good (ski) gloves due to recent weather and some upcoming backpacking trips plus one to Kansas for a pheasant hunt.I haven't been skiing in 8 years or so but there in the plastic containers where we keep some of that stuff I found a plastic bag full of old hand and foot warmers. Since I have an 2 night trip this week, I had been thinking of getting some anyways. However, I decided to test these as the package had no notice of an expiration date...opened up a pair (original package was intact) and these things barely produced any heat at all and only for a short period.

I keep a couple pairs in my truck's emergency kit..they are probably 2-3 years old. I wonder if they are worthless as well. Does anyone know how long these things last? Thanks.

They are air activated. If there is even a pin hole in the package they will be shot. As long as there is no leakage they will last forever. it all depends on the quality of the packaging. The ingredients do not "go bad". The heat is a by-product of what amounts to a 'fast rust".

In the off season store them in ziplock baggies. in case the primary packaging fails. If you do this they should be OK in the glove box for years.

BL

ShelterLeopard
01-04-2010, 14:34

I find that they usually stop working so well after 2 years (1, if they were stored in the cold). They'll still warm up a bit, but not nearly as much as they should.

ShelterLeopard
01-04-2010, 14:34
Just read buzz's post- perhaps mine had some miniscule airholes, but I think not... (They worked, just not as well)

ShelterLeopard
01-04-2010, 14:35
Sorry for the three posts in a row- tired and keep thinking of things to add.) Also, I'm not sure f the "expiration date" on my old warmers, could be that I bought already old ones.

cheeks
01-05-2010, 09:52
I bought 50 handwarmers on ebay about 7 or 8 years ago. They are the HotHands brand that are only in plastic packaging. They're still good. We are still using them up gradually. I can't tell you for sure if they're quite as strong as they once were but they do get the job done.

cheeks
01-05-2010, 09:53
Forgot to add:

In fact a few weeks ago the wife's van broke down and I found myself having to change out an O-ring under the car in a parking lot in windy 1-degree (before windchill) Maine weather. I had her jam 4 of them in each glove and that helped keep them from numbing up too ridiculously bad over the course of the two hours it took. My hands get very very cold easily so I guess they still worked!

TD55
01-05-2010, 15:48
I'm still working on a case I got over seven years ago. They work like new. HOTHANDS MADE IN DALTON GEORGIA by Heatmax, Inc. Foil package.