PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of converting to Hammock hanging

achangeincourse
01-03-2010, 20:11
I've been thinking about giving hammocks a try so i was curious as to whats a good backpacking hammock to buy i've looked at a bunch and they all look about the same. Any suggestions or thoughts? (ex is one brand higher quality then another, that type of thing) thanks! cheers!

Hooch
01-03-2010, 20:21
Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net)

BrianLe
01-03-2010, 20:23
If you don't know anyone who's hammock you can try out just in a backyard or something, a common suggestion is to make a cheap hammock (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm) just to get a feel for whether this might work for you. I.e., invest $9 and a little time before spending bucks on one you might want to use long term in the woods.

achangeincourse
01-03-2010, 20:23
o sorry folks wrong forum

achangeincourse
01-03-2010, 20:27
If you don't know anyone who's hammock you can try out just in a backyard or something, a common suggestion is to make a cheap hammock (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm) just to get a feel for whether this might work for you. I.e., invest $9 and a little time before spending bucks on one you might want to use long term in the woods.

sounds like a good project i'll have to check it out thanks

Deadeye
01-03-2010, 20:35
You're not in the wrong forum, but hammock forums will answer lots of hammock questions. If you're ever in Northwestern VT, you can try out 2 very popular hammocks (Blackbird and Hennessey) in my back yard, and you can borrow the Hennessey for a trial. Just send a PM

achangeincourse
01-03-2010, 21:40
You're not in the wrong forum, but hammock forums will answer lots of hammock questions. If you're ever in Northwestern VT, you can try out 2 very popular hammocks (Blackbird and Hennessey) in my back yard, and you can borrow the Hennessey for a trial. Just send a PM

Thanks man thats awsome, not sure when the next time i'll be in north west vermount but i really apperiate the offer

ruger
01-03-2010, 23:05
if money is not an issue you should try Clarks jungle hammock

Roughin' It
01-03-2010, 23:10
Do it!

hammocks trump tents!

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 23:25
depends on what you want your hammock to do as well. i do a lot of hiking and much of mine is 3 season so I wanted something that would fit all three to 4 seasons with out buying a ton of extra gear so I went with a CLark North American. works for me but if most of your hiking will be in warmer weather may tend to be a bit more than you need.

Check out Hammocking forums it will have a ton of info almost too much to digest at one time but enough for you to start to ask questions and help narrow down your search. I love them don't see me going to ground anytime soon.

Wags
01-04-2010, 02:15
you'll never turn back. have fun

Tinker
01-04-2010, 02:18
Get a simple top entry hammock to see if you like it. It can always be used in the back yard later if you opt to go "high tech". Lots of people here have Hennessy Hammocks. I had one but went back to the simplest type for more flexibility. See my images here.

hikingshoes
01-04-2010, 02:29
Your back will thankyou!!!!:)
I've been thinking about giving hammocks a try so i was curious as to whats a good backpacking hammock to buy i've looked at a bunch and they all look about the same. Any suggestions or thoughts? (ex is one brand higher quality then another, that type of thing) thanks! cheers!

Rockhound
01-04-2010, 09:39
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hammock hangers are just a bunch of elitist comfortable know-it-alls. There is nothing wrong with sleeping on a baseball bat floor in a mouse ridden shelter next to 7 or more other smelly snoring thru-hikers.

DanaMac
01-04-2010, 09:59
After spending a lot of time at the Hammock forum the last couple months, I too am thinking of converting. But it won't happen if I'm camping with my girlfriend. I really don't think she will be up for it. It will also be easier for me to sleep out in the backyard as I have lots of trees, but a good slope that is not great for a tent.

The_Saint
01-04-2010, 13:03
I slept the best on the trail in a hammock. I only used it from Harper's to Rutland, VT as it started to get cold and I didn't want to buy the winter gear to stay warm in it. Good luck!

Grinder
01-04-2010, 13:08
I go back and forth from Hammocks to Tents. This year I'm back to Hammocks.

I was drawn to hanging by the picture of a hennessy in the bag in someone's palm. I wanted to reduce the weight of my gear.

The 150+ list price of hennessy hammocks led me to seek out DIY information, Just jeff's pages and Hammock Forum. (in that order)

By the time I actually had a hammock, I had learned that total gear weight is pretty near equal whether you Hang or Tent. The more money you throw at it, the lighter it gets.

Last year I bought a tarp tent for my hike. It was okay, but one particularly raw rainy night in North Carolina kind of soured me on the openness of the tarp tents.

This year I'm going back to hammocking.

For me. I've about determined that when I'm going to hike the hammock gets the nod. When I'm going to Camp, the Tent is preferred.

Your Mileage may vary. Hike your own hike.

achangeincourse
01-04-2010, 16:48
I go back and forth from Hammocks to Tents. This year I'm back to Hammocks.

I was drawn to hanging by the picture of a hennessy in the bag in someone's palm. I wanted to reduce the weight of my gear.

The 150+ list price of hennessy hammocks led me to seek out DIY information, Just jeff's pages and Hammock Forum. (in that order)

By the time I actually had a hammock, I had learned that total gear weight is pretty near equal whether you Hang or Tent. The more money you throw at it, the lighter it gets.

Last year I bought a tarp tent for my hike. It was okay, but one particularly raw rainy night in North Carolina kind of soured me on the openness of the tarp tents.

This year I'm going back to hammocking.

For me. I've about determined that when I'm going to hike the hammock gets the nod. When I'm going to Camp, the Tent is preferred.

Your Mileage may vary. Hike your own hike.

thanks i will

The_Saint
01-04-2010, 17:02
Hanging is so much better for your back and feet. I never felt soo good after sleeping in a hammock. Now if I could just get it hung up in my house somehow...