PDA

View Full Version : rate SNP

double j
01-03-2010, 21:39
well i was thinking of taking my gf hiking after winter to the shenandoah national park... the elev. dont seem to change a whole lot, just trying to figure out if she can handle it. she claims to have shin splints i dont know. we do alot of day hiking and shes been on a few overnighters. is the terrain pretty easy ?:confused:

bigcranky
01-03-2010, 21:48
The terrain is pretty easy compared to further south in Virginia, sure. You can also plan your hike to stop at various waysides and even lodges for a nice meal or resupply (or a romantic night in an historic cabin.) Check the SNP web site to see when things open.

I've had shin splints, and they are not fun. I usually got them from hiking or running too fast.

johnnybgood
01-03-2010, 21:54
Easy as long as you stay on the AT. Blue blazed trails leading to waterfalls might be a challenge though.
Try short hikes of minimal elev. change first to see what she can tolerate.

Cookerhiker
01-03-2010, 21:55
I always hesitate to characterize any portion of the AT as "easy" except for pretty flat walks such as along the C&O Canal (MD) and Housatonic River (CT). Shenandoah is easier than most of VA but there's still some up and down. I guess my point is that if you go into the hike thinking "easy," you could incur some mild distress when finding yourself hiking up 1,000' i.e. "hey, I thought this was easy!"

Of course, everything depends on your level of aerobic fitness and mental outlook.

Having said that, I encourage you to hike Shenandoah in the Spring. You'll see deer, probably bear, lots of pretty wildflowers (trillium and fringed phacelia to name two examples), migrating birds, and other wildlife. There are plenty of views westward such as from HighTop Mountain. And if the hike doesn't go well, Skyline Drive's proximity gives you more bailout possibilities.

Blissful
01-04-2010, 20:09
Fine place to go and areas to bail out and rest up if needed (and get ice for the shin splints).

double j
01-04-2010, 22:21
great thanks for the advice,,,, now i just gotta get her to go

Mr. Underhill
01-04-2010, 22:34
You might want to think of a plan for number of days or miles if you are not sure about covering the entire park. You can get a shuttle service if you have to bail and can't make it back to your car but it will cost a bit. There are telephones at the waysides. The shuttle would have to come up from a town and then to the spot to pick you up.

Blissful
01-05-2010, 11:23
You might want to think of a plan for number of days or miles if you are not sure about covering the entire park. You can get a shuttle service if you have to bail and can't make it back to your car but it will cost a bit. There are telephones at the waysides. The shuttle would have to come up from a town and then to the spot to pick you up.

Skyline operates a shuttle service (a guy named Skyline). PM him for details.

Blissful
01-05-2010, 11:25
great thanks for the advice,,,, now i just gotta get her to go

Well go when its gonna be warmer out. Early May is a good time when the leaves are just budding. April can still get cold at night.

oneshot
03-01-2010, 00:12
I think SNP is a good place for someones first exposure to the AT. I wish I could get back there ....its been about 36 years since I hiked SNP but I really loved it when I did it. I was in the Navy at the time and Hiked on weekends. I usually started at the park and then hitchhiked back to the park when I needed to get back. Alas those were different times when hitchhiking was less dangerous. I have to say though that starting out in the park was great because it was really beautiful. You guys will have a great tme.

Skyline
03-01-2010, 15:10
Skyline operates a shuttle service (a guy named Skyline). PM him for details.

Thanks Blissful.

He can check us out at www.MVshuttle.com (http://www.MVshuttle.com), or for a different kind of SNP experience at www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com (http://www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com).

Phone is 1-877-789-3210. Ask for Rodney. I'm Jim...but Rodney pretty much runs things here.

Skyline

10-K
03-01-2010, 16:15
Depending on where you start and stop it might be an easier hike going north rather than south. Check the elevation profile for the area you'll be hiking.

For instance, I'd rather end at Front Royal than start there....

Like Skyline said, despite what you hear, hiking SNP is not "easy". I was looking for easy all the way to Rockfish Gap and never found it. ;-)