PDA

View Full Version : Down or Sythetic sleeping bag?

Jschlenk
01-03-2010, 23:49
I know that there are advantages and disadvantages to both synthetic and down bags but I don't really know what they are and I don't know which is better for the trail? Is down better for the colder parts and synthetic better for the warmer, or does it not matter?

I have my dad's old wilderness experience solo alpine regular from about 30 years ago that he used on a winter summit of Mount Morrisey. It is in great condition, but should I look to invest in a newer bag, and if so any suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Snowleopard
01-04-2010, 00:09
Look at this thread for down vs. synthetic http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53856&highlight=synthetic. My take: down is lighter for the same warmth but you have to be careful to keep it dry. Down lasts longer than synthetic.

Your dad's bag: Is it down? If so it may be just what you need. If it's a winter bag in perfect condition then it might be too warm for 3-season use.
How do you tell how good it is?
Weigh it.
Lay it out flat, fluff it up, let it sit for a while, fluff it up again. Measure the height (loft). Compare to the loft of different down bags at http://featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/SleepingBags.html to get an idea of how warm it is.
If it's kind of flat, is it clean? If not, read up on cleaning down bags and wash it.

If it's synthetic, after 30 years it may not be very useful; they tend to lose loft and warmth. You could wash and dry it and see if regains loft.

Last test: next time the night temp is what you expect to hike in, try it out in the back yard.

Elder
01-04-2010, 01:35
I think the Alpine was down, and if stored correctly should be fine.
If it is synthetic, probably polarguard (tm) :rolleyes: wash it and add
(:eek: an industry secret) Downey fabric softener to even flat bags will reloft and recharge. Also the early bags can be "hand lofted" by pulling the inner materiels apart. It feels like cotton? Don't tear the seams.
Beats throwing away a usable bag. :D and a cheap fix to try.

Tinker
01-04-2010, 02:25
Down bags (except the cheapest) are generally lighter for the same amount of insulation and pack smaller. Down also lasts longer (goes through more compression cycles before losing loft than synthetics). The bulkier synthetics tend to last longer because they generally have more spring built into the fibers. Continuous fibers (Polarguard and its clones) are more resilient than short strand fibers (the old "Quallofil" and the newer incarnations). To the best of my knowledge, they are all made from polyester.
They should never be dried in a hot drier (the insulation will lose its spring and loft).
They should never be left in their stuff sack (the small one that they are carried in) for the same reason.
Don't leave them in a hot trunk or attic while stuffed (see above reason).
They are perhaps better than down for watercraft use as they retain more of their loft than down when wet and dry faster.
If you plan on getting your bag wet - use synthetics.

Tinker
01-04-2010, 02:28
Link to above info. and more:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/down-v-synthetic-guide.html

The_Saint
01-04-2010, 13:08
Down without a doubt. Just make sure you have a waterproof stuff sack for it when it's in your pack.

skylark
01-04-2010, 18:00
Down is much more comfortable.

Even Flow
02-26-2010, 02:56
Down +25 all the way. Get a liner, it will add another +10, ship your bag north & use just a liner in the warm summer months. Just a suggestion though.

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 12:52
down is lighter and more comfortable! it is lighter for the same amount of insulation. make sure you keep it dry. compresses better - more room for other things in your pack. i also have a liner - adds additional warmth. some brands exaggerate extra warmth rating up to 15 degrees, probably actually 7-10. i won a contest and got a marmot 0deg down bag for free! :D

Wags
03-12-2010, 23:23
down. i'm only typing this sentence b/c the other one was too short of a message

Wags
03-12-2010, 23:25
i shoudln't really say that. down if it's a 20 degree (or colder) bag, but if it's a summer only bag and you only need +40 then i'd go with the cheapness of synthetic. bah

Edvvard
06-30-2010, 23:47
What is a good liner for a down bag to add warmth? I hear it mentioned, but never get examples

DapperD
07-01-2010, 02:13
I know that there are advantages and disadvantages to both synthetic and down bags but I don't really know what they are and I don't know which is better for the trail? Is down better for the colder parts and synthetic better for the warmer, or does it not matter?

I have my dad's old wilderness experience solo alpine regular from about 30 years ago that he used on a winter summit of Mount Morrisey. It is in great condition, but should I look to invest in a newer bag, and if so any suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg?I definately think that if you are going to thru-hike a good down bag would be preferable, at least at the beginning and end part's of the journey. I didn't always think this way, I actually believed (and it is true) when people would talk about how getting a down bag wet will cause it to cease working, etc...and that using synthetic materials on a wet trail like the AT was actually the better way to go, etc...well after reading many threads and posts on Whiteblaze about how the majority here recommend down as their hiking bag of choice, I believe this is the better way to go. Unfortunately, a quality down bag will fetch a heftier price than a synthetic, and if cost is an issue, then this will have to be something then that must be taken into consideration. I think if you go with down, the obvious preventative measures that need to be taken while in the field with it such as keeping it dry at all times (use a waterproof bag to store it in inside it's stuff sack), keep it as clean as possible, etc...needn't be too big an issue. The return for it's use is being able to be in goose down comfort, most likely a better warmth to weight ratio compared to synthetics, etc...making down the preferable choice. They even have waterproof coatings available on a lot of the higher end bags (cost's a little more than the uncoated version). I have read of down bags available from the Campmor company that other's recommended as being cost effective in addition to good quality. Understand that I myself have never used them. Here is one listed at 20 degrees, and they even have a 0 degree rated one:http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

10-K
07-01-2010, 04:25
The fear of getting a down bag wet is valid but the truth is that it's pretty hard to soak a down bag - at least a quality one.

If you've ever tried to wash a down bag you know what I mean..

boarstone
07-01-2010, 07:15
I used synthetics for years and then I wanted to go lighter...I switched from a 15 deg. syn. to a 15 deg. down. Wouldn't go back. Packs small and light! With care, will work just fine. You wouldn't want it to get wet anymore than a synthetic bag now would you?

Lyle
07-01-2010, 10:31
What is a good liner for a down bag to add warmth? I hear it mentioned, but never get examples

If your goal is to add warmth, realistically, you need to go with something like a fleece liner. The down side to these, is that they are very bulky and heavy. You would be better off just investing in a warmer sleeping bag - much more efficient.

I do use a silk bag liner quite often (there are various brands, very similar). It weighs only 4 oz, and packs into a 4" by 2" stuff sack. I usually just leave it loose in the sleeping bag when packing. These add maybe 3* of warmth, not the 9* they are advertised for. The real benefits I find, is that they keep my sleeping bag MUCH cleaner, add a bit of warmth, and they keep the cool night air off of your skin when you leave the bag unzipped or use it as a quilt. I find that I can just pull the liner over my shoulders and be perfectly comfortable while only partway into the sleeping bag. All depends on conditions, but just like in your hiking clothes, layers are more adjustable.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

Lyle
07-01-2010, 10:44
Here are a few examples:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45926

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45914

Here is the one I use, all-be-it an earlier version, slightly lighter and no hood:

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Premium-Sleeping-Liner/dp/B0017IP1K8/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

10-K
07-01-2010, 10:46
Yep, use a liner regardless because it's a lot easier to wash than your bag!

skinewmexico
07-01-2010, 17:14

A liner sure keeps your bag cleaner, but I don't believe the temps they claim to add. I think a bivy (like the 6 oz. Ti-goat bivy), does a lot more towards making a bag warmer. YMMV.

Appalachian Tater
07-01-2010, 17:16
Down if you can afford it. If not, get a good quality synthetic rather than a cheap down bag.

Mountain Wildman
07-01-2010, 17:23
I have a 850 Down bag for cold weather and a synthetic bag for warm weather.

hal0ofwint3r
07-01-2010, 21:20
i have a liner and it does add warmth. tested it on a winter night without the liner in my 0deg down bag, then put the liner in and it added some significant warmth. i'd recommend getting one. i have the sea to summit thermolite reactor.

Tinker
07-01-2010, 22:41

Wear extra clothes in your bag instead of a liner. You can't walk around in a liner and sometimes they can be tough to get into and out of.
I have a lightweight pair of down pants and a few different down and synthetic jackets that I can mix and match for extra warmth when I need it. Long underwear will keep your bag clean as long as the underwear itself is clean. Don't forget to wear something on your head. Oily hair can dirty a bag quickly.

Tinker
10-11-2010, 19:09
If your friends jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, would you as well?

What??????????????????????
:confused:

woodstock64
10-23-2010, 12:28
I picked up a Marmot 15 deg Aspen Adventure down bag. Manufactured by Marmot exclusively for Dicks Sporting Goods. Cost me $119. Weighs 2lb 8oz and packs down fairly small. With acompression sack I could probably get it down even smaller. While it is only 600FP goose down, I have found it has done the job well and is almost exactly comparable to Marmot"s other 600FP bags at half the price. Plus Marmot stands behind this bag 100%. Just my 2 cents.

rip waverly
11-23-2010, 18:32
down all around