PDA

View Full Version : I've learned something about New Years Eve and hiker's midnight!

MedicineMan
01-04-2010, 00:58
Hiker's midnight applies to the New Year's Eve get together on Springer...I didn't get to the trail head until 9ish and to the shelter area until 10ish (kept missing the side trail due to a serious FOG)...when I got to the shelter/tenting area all I could hear was snoring! I'd missed the 'party' by an hour, so off to the hammock I went lonely with my friend wearing a Black Label!
Did meet new friends quickly the next morning. It was a good feeling finding the plaque again late at night :)

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 01:57
Hiker's midnight applies to the New Year's Eve get together on Springer...I didn't get to the trail head until 9ish and to the shelter area until 10ish (kept missing the side trail due to a serious FOG)...when I got to the shelter/tenting area all I could hear was snoring! I'd missed the 'party' by an hour, so off to the hammock I went lonely with my friend wearing a Black Label!
Did meet new friends quickly the next morning. It was a good feeling finding the plaque again late at night :)

Sounds like a load of fun. Sorry I missed it..Will have to put it on my list for next Eve..

I just don't get it. every one parting but a sleep?? Now I think of it, not much of a party...

Happy New years..

Graywolf

Marta
01-04-2010, 07:53
New Year's Eve was a rather cold and damp. The mud around the shelter picnic table was ankle deep. The fire produced more smoke and sparks than heat. A couple of hours of standing in the rain was about as much fun as most of us needed before retiring to our respective tents and hammocks to keep warm and dry. In the morning I packed up and started hiking.

Sorry we missed you!

MedicineMan
01-04-2010, 08:45
Have another laugh on me...it's dark and big fog but I see 'the hammock area' behind the shelter, so I start that way to hang mine, I got too close to another hammock (peanut's) and out from under it comes a dog with a serious bark- I had been bitten through my pants and for blood the day before by the caretaker's dog at Ripshin! Instant flashback!

peanuts
01-04-2010, 10:46
it sure sounds like nye on springer!!:p

marta you were there?? i did not see you:-?

medicineman, sorry that bernie scared you:eek: he does have a big bark:D

MedicineMan
01-04-2010, 10:49
Like I said I was 'gun shy' from being bitten the day before---still love dogs though! In fact over the years I've been in the ER three times with dog bites---every time a German Shepherd! One was my great aunts...I asked her his name and she said 'booger' I laughed out loud and the dog growled, I laughed again and they had to pull him off my face! Never laugh at a dog, they have feelings too! and with all that I still love them, respect them too!
Excellent watch dog you had there :)

peanuts
01-04-2010, 10:53
thank you medicineman.....he actually had a bad late afternoon:eek:
actually we both did!! but that's another story

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 10:58
maby you were a sheperd in another past life and they still remember the time you took their food cause you were the alpha.might wanna get that looked at.lol!

Grampie
01-04-2010, 13:16
Have another laugh on me...it's dark and big fog but I see 'the hammock area' behind the shelter, so I start that way to hang mine, I got too close to another hammock (peanut's) and out from under it comes a dog with a serious bark- I had been bitten through my pants and for blood the day before by the caretaker's dog at Ripshin! Instant flashback!

Sounds like a fun thing to do. Especialy the part where the dog bit you. Thanks again for dogs on the AT.:eek:

Hooch
01-04-2010, 16:09
Sounds like a fun thing to do. Especialy the part where the dog bit you. Thanks again for dogs on the AT.:eek:Peanuts' dogs are "special". :rolleyes: