PDA

View Full Version : Unsupported Thru Hike Record Attempt

Cabin Fever
01-04-2010, 09:16
I just got notice through my Club's website that a 55 year old Israeli ultra-marathoner will make an attempt at the unsupported thru hike record in 2010. He will start early May and finish around July 4th. His trail name will be 'Galilee Man'.

His first day will take him to Neel's Gap.
He will be through the Smokies at the end of day 6.
His short days are 19 into Damascus (which is pretty easy), 9 into Harpers Ferry and 15 to Katahdin. All other days are 25+.
He is a teacher and father of three. I wish him the best of luck.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2010, 09:21
he's gotta average 36 miles per day

nitewalker
01-04-2010, 09:29
here we go again so lets get it on!! may seems like a good time to start if your going to try for the record. the weather in the south should be warm enough to carry minimal gear for the attempt.i wish him the best of luck but we all know what usually hapens when attempted.....

Lone Wolf
01-04-2010, 09:30

he'll need to average 41 miles per day for 5 days after neel gap to davenport gap

Pedaling Fool
01-04-2010, 09:47
I just got notice through my Club's website that a 55 year old Israeli ultra-marathoner will make an attempt at the unsupported thru hike record in 2010. He will start early May and finish around July 4th. His trail name will be 'Galilee Man'.

His first day will take him to Neel's Gap.
He will be through the Smokies at the end of day 6.
His short days are 19 into Damascus (which is pretty easy), 9 into Harpers Ferry and 15 to Katahdin. All other days are 25+.
He is a teacher and father of three. I wish him the best of luck.
Probably this guy http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53426

Spokes
01-04-2010, 09:49
............ahhh, shades of Roger Bannister..........

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 10:45
fake.not real. the opposite of truth. wanna be. scam. monkey play.hearsay. ney. hootchtalk.

trudat.

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2010, 11:19
short day into damascus and harpers? why. those are not the days to go short!
and his short days better be in the 25+ range not his avg. days
36 miles per day.

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 11:25
trudat. this aint a speed attempt. he just posted his dates hopefully.its all hype.

Mags
01-04-2010, 12:01
Is there a link for this announcement by any chance? One of my closest friends is an Israeli and an avid outdoors person. I think he'd get a kick out of it.

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2010, 12:10
only 9 miles into harpers? he must want his photo taken real bad!
i'd blow right past harpers!
im sure he wants to see the HQTRS and all,but he needs to worry more about daily milage! id like to see you hike the trail once before trying for the record? speedgoats next run will be cool to follow!

Disney
01-04-2010, 12:25
I'm tired of seeing so many of these just thrown out there and never heard from again. If this guy's going to go for it, he should have some method for interested people to watch his progress online. I'd like to know how it goes. I'd like to know how often these extremely ambitious types can hold to their schedule. I'd like to know if he makes it.

Whatever happened to that zealot from the desert that was going to hike the whole thing in 30 days? Did he get past day one? Did he get to day one? So many questions.

The_Saint
01-04-2010, 13:01
Pulling for him, although I don't count that as a Thru-Hike. I wish my body would allow me to do such things!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2010, 13:03
Pulling for him, although I don't count that as a Thru-Hike.

why not?......

Spokes
01-04-2010, 13:59
Pulling for him, although I don't count that as a Thru-Hike. ...

Consult the rulebook.............. it will count as a thru hike. See below.

The ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. They don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. They also expect persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail.

Mags
01-04-2010, 14:34
Consult the rulebook..............

The rule book is Hike My Hike: Damn it! (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html) of course...

…. the hiker who HMHDI recognizes that there is only one, true, correct and absolute way
to hike. Any other way of hiking is just not enjoyable and is therefore wrong. Remember, different from
my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable. HIKE MY
HIKE – DAMN IT!

Cabin Fever
01-04-2010, 14:49
only 9 miles into harpers? he must want his photo taken real bad!
i'd blow right past harpers!
im sure he wants to see the HQTRS and all,but he needs to worry more about daily milage! id like to see you hike the trail once before trying for the record? speedgoats next run will be cool to follow!

No link. It was an email. The thread linked above is him. You could PM him or something.

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2010, 14:55
No link. It was an email. The thread linked above is him. You could PM him or something.
if he wanted any help, suggestions or idea's, he would ask. i wish him well on his journey!

Sly
01-04-2010, 14:59

It's an unsupported thru-hike attempt, much like Jennifer Farr planned on doing. . Who holds the record for that?

Sly
01-04-2010, 15:01
Pulling for him, although I don't count that as a Thru-Hike. I wish my body would allow me to do such things!

Why, it's unsupported, he'll be doing his own resupply, not needing help from the outside. I don't think he plans on breaking Trail Dog's supported record.

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2010, 15:02
It's an unsupported thru-hike attempt, much like Jennifer Farr planned on doing. . Who holds the record for that?
60.5 days ward leonard
36 MPD

Sly
01-04-2010, 15:06
60.5 days ward leonard

Right, I heard that. 36+ miles a day. Seems doable. (not by me)

Lone Wolf
01-04-2010, 16:42

unsupported record is 60 days

thestin
01-04-2010, 16:55
You can still get some dicey weather in early May, especially at the higher elevations. Heavy snow is unusual, but not unheard of. A May storm a few years ago dropped several feet of snow.

Severe thunderstorms can also happen frequently for much of the month of May.

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 17:03
i started my attempt in 77.
1977!
ive been on my way to maine as long as jesus was alive.

warren doyle
01-05-2010, 10:53
55 y.o.?

I give him a 10% chance of setting an unsupported record.

If he doesn't have any prior AT experience, O% chance.

Ward Leonard was in his physical prime, had no children, and was quite AT knowledgeable.

XCskiNYC
03-01-2010, 00:35
60.5 days ward leonard
36 MPD

This guy says Leonard did it in 61 days (rounding up I guess) in 1990. It's surprising the record hasn't been broken since then but maybe the competition is hotter in supported record attempts:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LgCIaZ2zn9QC&pg=PA81&dq=winter+hiking&hl=En&cd=3#v=onepage&q=winter%20hiking&f=false

There might be some controversy on what constitutes an "unsupported attempt." Mail drops would presumably be okay. But what about hitching a ride from a road crossing to a store for resupply or to the PO to pick up a package? Maybe the difficulty of defining what constitutes an unsupported hike has kept down the level of competition in this category.

thelowend
03-01-2010, 04:49
The rule book is Hike My Hike: Damn it! (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html) of course...

…. the hiker who HMHDI recognizes that there is only one, true, correct and absolute way
to hike. Any other way of hiking is just not enjoyable and is therefore wrong. Remember, different from
my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable. HIKE MY
HIKE – DAMN IT!

EPIC! thanks for taking the time to properly vent your ridiculous brand of wit and sarcasm.

Mags
03-01-2010, 13:28
EPIC! thanks for taking the time to properly vent your ridiculous brand of wit and sarcasm.

Let me FTFY:

EPIC! thanks for taking the time to properly vent your ridiculousness....

:D

JustaTouron
03-01-2010, 13:40
There might be some controversy on what constitutes an "unsupported attempt." Mail drops would presumably be okay. But what about hitching a ride from a road crossing to a store for resupply or to the PO to pick up a package? Maybe the difficulty of defining what constitutes an unsupported hike has kept down the level of competition in this category.

I would say hitchinghiking is okay. Having it arrainged in advance to be picked up would be supported.

JERMM
05-18-2010, 12:36
http://www.israel21c.org/20100517798...alachian-trail

i think the "grizzly" bear was a misprint

JAK
05-18-2010, 13:49
I might be able to do it unsupported in 100 days.
Anyone doing it faster should not count - too fast.

Phreak
05-18-2010, 14:09
He's currently on pace for 79 days. He's been hiking 11 days (as of yesterday) and logged 302.8 miles (as of yesterday). He'll need to pick up the pace if he plans to hit his target.

Gray Blazer
05-18-2010, 14:19
i started my attempt in 77.
1977!
ive been on my way to maine as long as jesus was alive.

Yeah ... here's your chance to "put your hand in the hand of the man from Galilee"

Wrangler88
05-18-2010, 14:25
He's currently on pace for 79 days. He's been hiking 11 days (as of yesterday) and logged 302.8 miles (as of yesterday). He'll need to pick up the pace if he plans to hit his target.

PHREAK, how are you keeping up with him? Does he have a journal?

Phreak
05-18-2010, 14:31
PHREAK, how are you keeping up with him? Does he have a journal?
He does have a trailjournal and he posts updates every day or so over on Trailplace.

Wrangler88
05-18-2010, 16:24
He does have a trailjournal and he posts updates every day or so over on Trailplace.

Oh, alright thanks. I'm interested in what he's doing and was wanting to keep up with him.

JJJ
05-19-2010, 10:54
He should be coming through Damascus this weekend. If I have a chance, I may try to go see how he's doing.

Mags
05-19-2010, 12:59
Yeah ... here's your chance to "put your hand in the hand of the man from Galilee"

My friend from Israel? :D

jersey joe
05-19-2010, 13:39
Ahhh, I haven't been to trailplace in quite a while, but I must admit, this speed hike got me curious. Interesting attempt for sure. He has a post today. My guess is Mr. Doyle will not appreciate his karlesque comments...

..."Make no mistake though… this is a war against nature…and I love it!"

CrumbSnatcher
05-19-2010, 19:01
This guy says Leonard did it in 61 days (rounding up I guess) in 1990. It's surprising the record hasn't been broken since then but maybe the competition is hotter in supported record attempts:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LgCIaZ2zn9QC&pg=PA81&dq=winter+hiking&hl=En&cd=3#v=onepage&q=winter%20hiking&f=false

if Lone Wolf says its 60 days then its 60 days, not 60.5
if it was 60.5 days,no you don't round up. it would be 60 days 12 hours, and so & so minutes(whatever they might be). the most interesting thing to me is Galilee man (the current hiker attempting the record) says he only eats once a day, and around 1,500 calories! IMO that won't get it done!

Lone Wolf
05-19-2010, 19:04
it's pretty much a given he ain't gonna make it in 60 days. NH and maine will eat his lunch. SOBO is the way to go for records

Roland
05-19-2010, 19:16
~
SOBO is the way to go for records

Why?......

garlic08
05-19-2010, 19:33
it's pretty much a given he ain't gonna make it in 60 days. NH and maine will eat his lunch. SOBO is the way to go for records

That makes sense. On my NOBO, I was easily on a 100-day pace until I reached NH. NH and ME added six days to the pace. Even though I'd hiked those two states before and was somewhat ready for it, it was tough way to end. If I'd started SOBO and handled that terrain fresh, it would have been a little easier at the south end. I still don't think I'd have made 100 days, but maybe 104 or 105. No big deal for me since I wasn't really trying to prove anything (though 100 days would have been cool), but for a record attempt, it is a big deal.

ChinMusic
05-19-2010, 19:36
Why?......

I think the feeling is that in attempting such a record the body gets beat up pretty good. By the time they get to the toughest part of the trail their body is not as strong as it was in the beginning.

For an average Joe it works in reverse. The South builds you up in preparation for the North.

The Ultra guys/gals are already in shape at the start.

warren doyle
05-21-2010, 22:41
He passed us a few days ago. Didn't see him. He doesn't sign all the registers. Last register entry said he was dog-tired and he was having foot problems.
Damascus by this weekend? Maybe Sunday at best.

Jeff
05-22-2010, 06:01
LW,

Which direction was Ward Leonard going when he made the record?

The General
05-22-2010, 08:32
Why would anyone want to rush hiking the AT. take your time, enjoy the views, the people and their stories over a cold beer or two. not taking your time is a waste of time in my view. But whatever floats your boat like they say "Hike your Own Hike"

fiddlehead
05-22-2010, 21:53
Why would anyone want to rush hiking the AT. take your time, enjoy the views, the people and their stories over a cold beer or two. not taking your time is a waste of time in my view. But whatever floats your boat like they say "Hike your Own Hike"

There are many ways to travel.

Flying is good (for some) I see lots of travelers with those "around the world tickets" It was never my style however as it only hits the big cities and you don't really see a country properly IMO.

Trains, buses, and cars are probably the next fastest. Not a bad way to travel but a bit too fast to really see a place, especially if you want to get into the mountains. Motorcycles are almost the same although at least you are outside.

Bicycle is next I think. As long as there is a road, or proper trail (that allows bikes), this is a great speed for traveling to me. Not too fast, not too slow.

THen there's running. Good exercise and you can go on many trails and it's not a bad speed. Of course it takes being very fit and energetic but, if you can do it, it makes you feel quite invincible (speaking for myself)

Then there's hiking. It is a slow pace and takes almost 6 months to do something like the AT. Not everyone has that amount of time and many get bored with the speed.

Then there's swimming. Again, good exercise. The views generally suck however and it can be quite dangerous when the weather turns nasty.

Prostrating yourself for religious purposes (like around Mt. Kailash in Tibet, is probably the slowest form of travel for a human that i know of. Many do it.
It is not my style. They say if you prostrate yourself around Mt. Kailash 108 times (takes about a year to do it once i think), you will become instantly enlightened. Not a bad goal really, but a bit slow, don't you think. Of course, many would argue the point.

I really think it's up to the individual which method, or speed they choose.
If everyone felt the same, it would probably be single file, wall to wall, on the trail. And i think that would suck!

Good luck to this guy. It takes a very exceptional person to attempt this without having hiked the trail already. Let's see if he is that exception.

JJJ
05-23-2010, 18:23
I just left Carlos as he headed up the stairs out of Damascus about 2:30pm.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2e6hrg8.jpg

I met him this morning about 16 miles south of town, he had already done about 2.5.
We were in town within 5 hours about noon -not exactly a blistering pace, but he seems very steady and he wanted to do another 13+ after resupply.
His feet are coming around, so maybe he'll start to bump his mileage up.

Tin Man
05-23-2010, 19:18
chrome://click2call/content/FONcall_icon.png[/IMG] (javascript:void(1))
Call with FONcall™
1015573 (javascript:void(1))
Connecting...

Connected!

Error: could not place call

bug? (javascript:void(1))

]Why would anyone want to rush hiking the AT. take your time, enjoy the views, the people and their stories over a cold beer or two. not taking your time is a waste of time in my view. But whatever floats your boat like they say "Hike your Own Hike"

wherever there is a test of human endurance there will be those who want to be the best

Lone Wolf
05-26-2010, 06:34
he's only averaging 30 mpd. no record in the forecast

warren doyle
05-26-2010, 08:04
Taking 16.5 days to reach Damascus just won't do it. He probably will be able to increase his daily mileage average between Damascus and Glencliff but it will decrease from then on until Katahdin.

JJJ
05-26-2010, 10:06
At this point, from my calculations, he needs to average ~40 to break the record.

jersey joe
05-26-2010, 10:42
While the record is slipping out of reach, 30+mpd is still pretty impressive for a first time thru hiker.

The Solemates
05-26-2010, 10:48
i only calculated 27 mpd. ~518 miles so far after 19 days

LIhikers
05-27-2010, 22:05
You can read his posts here (http://trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3115)

twosticks
07-08-2010, 12:54
Getting pretty darn close.

Rasty
08-08-2013, 13:26

Bump just for clarification