PDA

View Full Version : Waiver for 50-mile trail run in NC

John B
01-04-2010, 15:51
The funniest legal waiver I've ever read. Thanks to the person who kindly sent the link. It's for a 50-miler in North Carolina:

WAIVER AND RELEASE:
I realize June in North Carolina is hot and humid. Most people and doctors advise against running in heat and humidity. Also, running at night presents special problems such as seeing where you are stepping and watching out for cars. I understand that this area has specific hazards such as rattlesnakes, copperheads, polecats, wildcats, and rednecks who like to drink and drive and throw things. I know that 50 miles is a long, long ways and many people get tired just driving that far. Nevertheless, I want, no, I insist I be allowed to do this event regardless of the risk. Therefore, I want everyone to know that I am not being forced to do this event and that I agree for myself and any survivors or possible claimants that I may leave behind, to save, release, and keep harmless the Mangum Track Club, its members, the Runners From Hell, and any volunteers or sponsors or any other helpers that may be involved with this event, from all liability, claims, or demands for damages incurred by participation in this event or any of its parts. I assume all responsibilities for my participation in this event and certify that I am properly trained, mentally fit, and medically able to participate in this 50 mile run. I agree to use a light after dark. I certify that I am 18 yrs old or older. I will not litter. I will not kill snakes. I am aware that this event is limited to the no more than 75 entrants and that registration may close abruptly at the race director's discretion. I realize that the race director's {or his delegate} authority is all encompassing and will abide by anything he tells me. Knowing everything in this waiver has not deterred me from entering this event and my signature below indicates that I have read and agree to all this stuff and still intend to participate. I also promise to have fun.

Signature_________________________________________ _____________Date________________

Mags
01-04-2010, 16:07
Nice!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Not Sunshine
01-04-2010, 16:12
I like the redneck part. they may have banjos.

leaftye
01-04-2010, 19:14
It reminds of military safety briefings. One of my commanders ordered our group to find a way to put directional lighting on our canoes for a nighttime river run. Because you know, rivers that are barely used in the daytime during the warm season are overrun with boats at night!

Toolshed
01-04-2010, 19:33
The funniest legal waiver I've ever read. Thanks to the person who kindly sent the link. It's for a 50-miler in North Carolina:

WAIVER AND RELEASE:
I realize June in North Carolina is hot and humid. Most people and doctors advise against running in heat and humidity. Also, running at night presents special problems such as seeing where you are stepping and watching out for cars. I understand that this area has specific hazards such as rattlesnakes, copperheads, polecats, wildcats, and rednecks who like to drink and drive and throw things. I know that 50 miles is a long, long ways and many people get tired just driving that far. Nevertheless, I want, no, I insist I be allowed to do this event regardless of the risk. Therefore, I want everyone to know that I am not being forced to do this event and that I agree for myself and any survivors or possible claimants that I may leave behind, to save, release, and keep harmless the Mangum Track Club, its members, the Runners From Hell, and any volunteers or sponsors or any other helpers that may be involved with this event, from all liability, claims, or demands for damages incurred by participation in this event or any of its parts. I assume all responsibilities for my participation in this event and certify that I am properly trained, mentally fit, and medically able to participate in this 50 mile run. I agree to use a light after dark. I certify that I am 18 yrs old or older. I will not litter. I will not kill snakes. I am aware that this event is limited to the no more than 75 entrants and that registration may close abruptly at the race director's discretion. I realize that the race director's {or his delegate} authority is all encompassing and will abide by anything he tells me. Knowing everything in this waiver has not deterred me from entering this event and my signature below indicates that I have read and agree to all this stuff and still intend to participate. I also promise to have fun.

Signature_________________________________________ _____________Date________________
Matthewski got a new job writing waivers?????

bigcranky
01-04-2010, 20:01
We did an NOC whitewater course a few years ago, and the instructor's pre-river speech was "blah blah blah imminent death." Worked pretty well.

Spokes
01-04-2010, 20:34
The funniest legal waiver I've ever read. Thanks to the person who kindly sent the link. It's for a 50-miler in North Carolina............

That was me John B. The Bethel Hill Moonlight Boogie is an awesome 50 miler put on by the folks at the Mangum Track Club- an amazing group of endurance athletes. I've run it twice and enjoyed every bit of it. Perfect training for an AT hike!

http://www.etinternet.net/~runrbike/

Bidwell
01-10-2010, 21:36
Ran the marathon version in 2006... it's a fun race. The RD is a little goofy, but puts on a fine event. Starting such an event at 6:00pm at night is off the wall, but actually very enjoyable.

Lilred
01-11-2010, 12:07
thank goodness they agree not to kill any snakes.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 12:44
Ran the marathon version in 2006... it's a fun race. The RD is a little goofy, but puts on a fine event. Starting such an event at 6:00pm at night is off the wall, but actually very enjoyable.

try this little run that starts at midnight if you want off the wall
http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/2008_Hellgate/hellgate_100k_main.htm

Disney
01-11-2010, 12:57
As a lawyer, I see this is a perfect example of non-complicated, straightforward language. There is a small (but growing) movement in the legal community towards the use of language like this as opposed to legalese. Wonderful post.

JJJ
01-11-2010, 13:22
:D Thanks, Johnny B. I think I know that RD.