PDA

View Full Version : My biggest mileage days

fredmugs
01-04-2010, 16:51
So I was bored last week at work and took all of the info from my past section hikes and put it into a single Excel file that I could sort by date, distance, etc. I told somebody recently that I had probably done at least 10 different days of 25 or more miles and then got curious to see if that was true. I've run into several people who have gone over 30 so I'm certainly not trying to brag or anything. I'm just proud of the fact that at 40 a hike over 15 miles was a killer and now at 25 mile days are not.

I'm sure somebody is going to correct my mileage info but unless I'm way off don't bother.

1. 29.0 NOC to Fontana Dam visitors center
2. 29.0 Harpers Ferry hostel to Free State hostel
3. 28.2 Atkins to Hurricane Campground
4. 27.6 Trail to Mt Rogers to Damascus (est - stealth camped)
5. 27.6 William Brien shelter to NY-NJ border (est - stealth camped)
6. 27.4 Pine Grove Furnace to US-11/Carlisle
7. 26.8 Deep Gap to Glassmine Gap (including the Standing Indian loop)
8. 26.7 Mashipacong Shelter to Mohican Outdoor Center
9. 26.2 Hot Springs to Groundhog Creek shetler
10. 26.1 Damascus to Iron Mtn shelter
11. 26.1 Vernon, NJ to Mashipacong shelter
12. 24.9 VA 56 to Paul Wolfe shelter

I'm getting to the point where the opportunity for big mile days are coming to an end (I'm up to Cheshire, MA) although I do believe I could get through the Smokies in 3 days.

The_Saint
01-04-2010, 17:01
Why rush? I thrued this summer and most people slow down, because we all wanted to enjoy it. Sure we all did our 25-30 mile days, but those were a blur and we were just hiking to make miles and not enjoy it. I regret pushing through days like that.

Blissful
01-04-2010, 20:01
I guess you can do this mad dash...if you're into that sort of thing. The only time I did big miles was to make a needed rendezvous. My biggest regret was not stopping more and enjoying what it is I am hiking.

Phreak
01-04-2010, 21:30
Good job on the mileage. I too prefer to hike higher mileage days than most. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

modiyooch
01-04-2010, 22:00
Why rush? I thrued this summer and most people slow down, because we all wanted to enjoy it. Sure we all did our 25-30 mile days, but those were a blur and we were just hiking to make miles and not enjoy it. I regret pushing through days like that.
why rush? Well I did about 25 miles to get out of the Smokies so I wouldn't have to spend another night crammed in the shelter.
The night before, we were all laying shoulder to shoulder. I have never smelled so much gas in one place. I was the first one out the next morning. When I got to the next shelter, it was even smaller. so, I traded my food to a thru hiker for one cup of hot chocolate and booked it out of there.

My last 25 mile day was last August in MA. The buzzing mosquitos were driving me insane. I could not spend another night with that sound.

jersey joe
01-04-2010, 22:43
So I was bored last week at work and took all of the info from my past section hikes and put it into a single Excel file that I could sort by date, distance, etc. I told somebody recently that I had probably done at least 10 different days of 25 or more miles and then got curious to see if that was true. I've run into several people who have gone over 30 so I'm certainly not trying to brag or anything. I'm just proud of the fact that at 40 a hike over 15 miles was a killer and now at 25 mile days are not.

Those are some nice mileage days fredmugs. I also enjoy hiking long high mileage days, did a bunch on my thru hike. Makes you feel like you really accomplished something after a long day hiking and seeing so many great things. I also put my mileage into a spreadsheet and have fun slicing and dicing it.

moytoy
01-04-2010, 23:14
I see comments here that question why you would want to hike so fast. I say do it if it pleases you. There are many different ways to enjoy the trail and as long as your not harming the trail or others on it do it while you can. Someday you won't be able to do 25 mile days. Trust me on that.
My brother and I ran and walked from the Shuckstack firetower to Clingmans Dome in one day. Circa 1965.

Nean
01-04-2010, 23:18
I find it funny :o that people will consider their speed :eek:, style :eek:, mileage :eek: as THE standard :rolleyes: to which all others are measured. :-?

fredmugs
01-06-2010, 10:45
I find it funny :o that people will consider their speed :eek:, style :eek:, mileage :eek: as THE standard :rolleyes: to which all others are measured. :-?

Who did that? My commentary was more on the fact that I have gotten stronger as a hiker over the years.

I do big mileage days mainly because I have a goal to hike all of the AT before I turn 50. I'm lucky to be able to get in two trips a year and it's getting to the point where the next AT hike is almost 1,000 miles away. I need to maximize that time on the trail. When I hike locally it is at a much slower pace.

I also do not hike fast - I just hike all day. My moving pace is roughly 2.5 mph and I find if I start hitting 3 mph or faster I blister. I go really slowly downhill to protect my knees and attack every climb because I love it. When it's not steep I'm on cruise control soaking in the environment.

jersey joe
01-06-2010, 11:44
I also do not hike fast - I just hike all day. My moving pace is roughly 2.5 mph and I find if I start hitting 3 mph or faster I blister. I go really slowly downhill to protect my knees and attack every climb because I love it. When it's not steep I'm on cruise control soaking in the environment.
This is a common misconception. Many assume that because you are hiking a lot of miles in one day that you are hiking FAST when in a lot of cases it just means that you are hiking more hours in a day instead of laying around in a shelter.

Nean
01-06-2010, 12:48
Who did that? My commentary was more on the fact that I have gotten stronger as a hiker over the years.

I do big mileage days mainly because I have a goal to hike all of the AT before I turn 50. I'm lucky to be able to get in two trips a year and it's getting to the point where the next AT hike is almost 1,000 miles away. I need to maximize that time on the trail. When I hike locally it is at a much slower pace.

Who did that? :confused: Several people who responded to your post.:eek:

I don't really think those are big miles but not bad for not being on the trail long term. ;) Our age, speed, style are much the same.:)

My point is: Folks who give advice based on THEIR limits -is well, limited.:eek:

modiyooch
01-06-2010, 21:52
This is a common misconception. Many assume that because you are hiking a lot of miles in one day that you are hiking FAST when in a lot of cases it just means that you are hiking more hours in a day instead of laying around in a shelter.I also think that it is the number of hours that I am on my feet that make my body ache more so than the number of miles.

sasquatch2014
01-06-2010, 21:54
during winter hiking it is the number of hours I am in camp that make it harder. The walking is the easy part.

Yahtzee
01-07-2010, 00:11
Some days, I felt so good I didn't wanna stop. Some days I felt like hiking after dinner. Some days I was hiking to beer or food.

That big day out of the Smokies is perfect. Great views, easy terrain. Same as going into Damascus, minus the great views.

When I got into shape, I sometimes would be bored with a 15 mile day. And that is going at 2.5 mph and stopping for a smoke every hour. If you hike 2.5 mph, a 15/day is 6 hours of hiking. Start at 8, done by 2? Sometimes the days were big simply because it would have been boring to stop.

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 00:50
I weep for a world in which it doesn't even occur to anyone to make fun of someone for putting all of their mileages into an Excel spreadsheet.

andrewan
01-07-2010, 01:51
Thanks for sharing Knowledgeable information with us..

tzbrown
01-07-2010, 08:48
I also hike long days because I get bored setting in camp. Speeds are around 2 mph average for the day and in summer hours on the trail may be 14 to 16. I am also easily distracted by the great views and of the flowers along the way so taking photos becomes an issue with miles covered also. Typical daily miles will be around 20, sometimes up to 30 depending on elevation gains or distractions.

Until this year I have also had to cover as many miles in the limited time I had, but I hope to do more trail time now that I have been able to retire.

Rockhound
01-07-2010, 09:50

I'm sure somebody is going to correct my mileage info but unless I'm way off don't bother.

I'm getting to the point where the opportunity for big mile days are coming to an end (I'm up to Cheshire, MA) although I do believe I could get through the Smokies in 3 days.
Did you have a question?

fredmugs
01-07-2010, 10:00
If I had a question I would have posted it in the Specifc forum. Thanks for checking.

Pootz
01-07-2010, 10:27

I like this thread, it shows that you can enjoy the trail in many different ways. For me I enjoyed getting in great shape on the trail. I was i such bad shape before my thru hike that it felt good to do 20 mile days once I got in shape. I did 20 mile days through most of Virginia, Maryland and PA. Not because I was in a hurry, the miles were just easy and it felt good. I walk very fast when I am in shape, it is just me pace. Trust me anyone that knows about my my thru hike knows that I stopped and smelled the flowers, beers, food, towns, etc.

The Flatulator
01-07-2010, 10:46
I enjoy walking. Period. I am also an early riser, and while not as fast as I use to be, can still put together a rather impressive mileage day with "not much effort". It's all a matter of getting out there and, pretty much, walking all day. I also enjoy the physical aspects of the walk. I take in my surroundings, enjoy the smells, sights and sounds, but mostly, again, I enjoy walking. During my two thru-hikes, and many times since then, I have enjoyed long walks of twenty plus miles and more. In '77, I was out of money and hiked from Monson to Katahdin Stream campground in 3 & 1/2 days. Not because I really wanted to, but because it becames necessary on my limited food reserves. Everyone has their own reasons for hiking the way they do. No one is right. No one is wrong, with the distinct exception of those few who claim to be "2000 milers", yet have "yellow-blazed" their way around sections in one form or another. Enjoy the walk, long or short.

Wheeler
01-07-2010, 10:58
You're all doing it wrong.

trippclark
01-07-2010, 11:40
Why rush?

Good question.

I don't have near as many high mileage days as the original poster . . . I think that I have done three or four days over 20 miles with the longest being a little over 27 miles. Personally, I like to try to find a balance between doing high mileage, but also trying to keep it fun and scenic . . . 16 - 18 mile days suit me well. But as far as "why rush?" I only have so many available days to backpack each year . . . usually not more than four long weekends each year. If I am going to string together enough of these trips to reach from Springer to Katahdin before I need geriatric care, I need to try to get the most mileage each trip that I reasonably can. Get up at first light, try to start walking within an hour or so, and stop walking an hour or so before dark. In the summer, when the days or long, this usually equates to about 17 miles or more each full day.

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 11:54
Why rush? . .

In my case on the PCT, I started banging out big mileages in OR and WA because I had really taken my time and enjoyed California. Between the two states I did, I believe, 21 days of 30 miles or more.

My decision to do so was confirmed as a good idea by the last week I was on the trail, during which it snowed and rained constantly. The snow line dropped sharply during that week, and there were folks behind me (which, to me, seemed impossible) who had their hikes derailed by heavy snow storms.

By the time I was that far north I was capable of big mile days, even with the shorter daylight hours. I'm glad I did things the way I did -- I got to finish, and even the big mile days were fun.

Nean
01-07-2010, 13:32

I like this thread, it shows that you can enjoy the trail in many different ways. For me I enjoyed getting in great shape on the trail. I was i such bad shape before my thru hike that it felt good to do 20 mile days once I got in shape. I did 20 mile days through most of Virginia, Maryland and PA. Not because I was in a hurry, the miles were just easy and it felt good. I walk very fast when I am in shape, it is just me pace. Trust me anyone that knows about my my thru hike knows that I stopped and smelled the flowers, beers, food, towns, etc.

One mans rush is another mans leisure?:)

ShelterLeopard
01-07-2010, 13:53
This is a common misconception. Many assume that because you are hiking a lot of miles in one day that you are hiking FAST when in a lot of cases it just means that you are hiking more hours in a day instead of laying around in a shelter.

I like this attitude a lot. We'll see what I actually do on my thru, but I love the idea of just doing 2- 2.5 miles/ hour and taking all day. I love lounging around in shelters sometimes, but not all the time- like a couple times a week. But, we'll see how in shape I get! (I find that as long as I don't hike fast, I can hike pretty far.)

I also love stopping along the trail- always helps me get ready to keep going. I'm one of those people who stops for a full lunch and a siesta... What I wouldn't give to be doing that right now... Especially on a dry and sunny day, warm, but with a light breeze... (I'm really tired right now, so this sounds sooo good...)

scope
01-07-2010, 13:58
Is this good information? Kind of makes it looks like the hike from NOC to Fontana is easier than the one going nobo into Damascus. Is there any explanation info in your spreadsheet that you could offer? Otherwise this looks like a list of achievements.

Not to rain on your parade, I understand what you said about a 15m day killing you at 40 because that's where I'm at. Wouldn't want someone to come across this one day and say, well geez, that NOC to Fontana hike ought to be an easy overniter based on this "info".

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2010, 14:14
Is this good information? Kind of makes it looks like the hike from NOC to Fontana is easier than the one going nobo into Damascus. Is there any explanation info in your spreadsheet that you could offer? Otherwise this looks like a list of achievements.

Not to rain on your parade, I understand what you said about a 15m day killing you at 40 because that's where I'm at. Wouldn't want someone to come across this one day and say, well geez, that NOC to Fontana hike ought to be an easy overniter based on this "info".
the hike from NOC to fontana, is not easier than the hike nobo into Damascus

scope
01-07-2010, 14:17
the hike from NOC to fontana, is not easier than the hike into Damascus

Yeah, that was kinda my point... not only not easier, but is known as one of the tougher sections.

Yahtzee
01-07-2010, 14:22

The climb out of NOC is not as hard as it is made out to be. It is the first long (5-7 mile stretch) of mostly climbing that NOBO's will do, but it is fairly gradual until you get to near the top of the bald. However, the climb out of Stecoah Gap, while short will sap you after having completed the first long climb. I think it's around a 16.5 mile day to the Brown Fork Gap shelter. That's a pretty tough day. To add the 11 to Fontana is impressive. All three times I have done that stretch, it's the 11 into Fontana the next day that seems harder than the uphills to Brown Fork Gap out of NOC. Maybe the food in belly aids in the climb.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2010, 14:30
if you do it all in 1 day?
the 29 miles to fontana is tougher than 40+ into DAMASCUS Nobo

mikec
01-07-2010, 14:35
Those are some good section hiking distances. My only good days were:

Double Springs Shelter, TN to Damascus- 18.5
North Marshall Mtn, VA to Linden- about 20 miles

New England is alot tougher. I plan on taking a week to hike the 54 miles from Franconia to Pincham Notch. I learned my lesson last year going from North Adams to Franconia. The trail is a different ballgame once you get to Vermont.

Blissful
01-07-2010, 14:37
I think its important that your body is acclimated to hiking before trying to put in big miles, and doing it day after day. More than one hiker, young and old developed shin splints, foot issues, knee pain and even stress fractures because of it. Instead you can take breaks and enjoy the scenery.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2010, 14:39
Those are some good section hiking distances. My only good days were:

Double Springs Shelter, TN to Damascus- 18.5
North Marshall Mtn, VA to Linden- about 20 miles

New England is alot tougher. I plan on taking a week to hike the 54 miles from Franconia to Pincham Notch. I learned my lesson last year going from North Adams to Franconia. The trail is a different ballgame once you get to Vermont.
it might depend whether your section hiking or thruhiking?
i think section hiking is tougher. to keep starting over is tough IMO
but also some thruhikers tire out near the end!

ShelterLeopard
01-07-2010, 14:52
I think its important that your body is acclimated to hiking before trying to put in big miles, and doing it day after day. More than one hiker, young and old developed shin splints, foot issues, knee pain and even stress fractures because of it. Instead you can take breaks and enjoy the scenery.

Totally worth repeating! I've always known that I should start slow, but on my two week section this past summer I though, I feel good, I can do this, and decided to do a 15 mile day on day 3 (or was it day 4?), and it turned into a 19.5 mile day. HUGE blisters, so dehydrated, so tired, learned my lesson.

prain4u
01-07-2010, 15:16
Why rush?

1. As others have mentioned, some of us have very specific (and very limited) time frames in which to complete our section hike or our thru hike due to other obligations or constraints. So, if we want to complete it--"rushing" is almost a requirement.

2. I think some folks simply enjoy the hiking aspects of the trip more than they enjoy the camping and social aspects of the trip. Other people enjoy the camping and social aspects more than they enjoy the actual hiking. If you spend more hours hiking (and less hours camping) you will usually have more high mileage days. Higher mileage does not necessarily mean that someone is "rushing" or "enjoying" the experience any less. They are merely spending more hours doing the part that they enjoy most (i.e--the hiking).

3. I think different people "enjoy the sights" and "stop and smell the roses" in different ways. Some people will stop and spend a half hour exploring and enjoying a waterfall. Some will pause, take a picture, and move on. That is enough enjoyment for them. Others, will have lunch there, take a shower beneath the falls and have a peaceful nap to the soothing sounds of the falling water. All have stopped. All have enjoyed. All have memories. Some took two minutes to do that--some took six hours. There is not a right or wrong way. Hike Your Own Hike.

(I am probably the "half hour person" in the above scenario. However, by starting my day earlier and hiking later, I will will usually get to enjoy several different half-hour "mini-vacations" in a day--instead of just one longer stop).

4. Going "faster" through some places, gives you the flexibility to stay and enjoy other places for much longer periods. More high mileage days gives you the ability to enjoy more "zero days" in places which REALLY interest you.

Kerosene
01-07-2010, 15:24
The climb out of NOC is not as hard as it is made out to be.The same is true of Georgia. I had heard so many thru-hikers state that it was their toughest state, but as a section hiker who had already done Virginia through Vermont, Georgia was a walk in the park. I never had to stop on any ascent (at least to catch my breath) until I crossed the border into North Carolina on the climb out of Bly Gap.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2010, 15:29
the climb out of bly gap to muskrat creek shelter is a good climb!
i always heard most of the hikers starting AT thruhikes have never backpacked before? so if thats true yeah georgia can kick your butt!

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 15:45
The climb out of NOC is not as hard as it is made out to be. . .

It is if the NOC has a huge free party and invites the hikers, and as a result you do the clime dehydrated with a massive, dibilitating hangover. Or, um, so I've heard.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2010, 15:46
It is if the NOC has a huge free party and invites the hikers, and as a result you do the clime dehydrated with a massive, dibilitating hangover. Or, um, so I've heard.
i bet thats not pretty?:D

stumpknocker
01-07-2010, 15:52
One mans rush is another mans leisure?:)

That's the truth Nean!!

I like walking much more than I like camping, so I usually walk more. That doesn't mean I'm "rushing". When I'm feeling good, my favorite day on the Trail is to start early and watch the sun come up an hour or so later, walk all day, stopping to talk to anyone I see, maybe eat a cold dinner at a shelter and socialize a bit, then walk into dark before setting up my tent.

It's very easy to get in higher mile days that way without ever "rushing". :)

I also get to see more animals early in the day and late in the day.

Pony
01-07-2010, 16:12
the climb out of bly gap to muskrat creek shelter is a good climb!
i always heard most of the hikers starting AT thruhikes have never backpacked before? so if thats true yeah georgia can kick your butt!

I seem to remember Sassafras, Wildcat, and the climb out of Unicoi Gap being pretty tough in Ga, but that was on fresh legs. Now, the climb out of Bly gap I remember thinking "holy crap, welcome to N.C.".

I think a lot of how you percieve certain climbs or sections of trail depends on the circumstances. For instance I thought the climb out of NOC was difficult, but mostly because I spent the previous night in the pub. But the next day, I cruised into Fontana with the only hard part I remember being Stecoah gap. On the same note, I though the 26 miles into Damascus was easy, but it poured rain the whole day and made it miserable despite the easy terrain.

garlic08
01-07-2010, 16:12
I also think that it is the number of hours that I am on my feet that make my body ache more so than the number of miles.

Good observation. I can relate to this. It seems I get more tired hiking lower miles if I'm with a slower hiker. Never realized that before.

Come to think of it, standing still is much more fatiguing and painful to me than walking. I can walk for hours at a time and enjoy every step. No way can I stand still for that long without being in misery.

Hikes in Rain
01-07-2010, 16:17
I weep for a world in which it doesn't even occur to anyone to make fun of someone for putting all of their mileages into an Excel spreadsheet.

You mean doing that is unusual?

Oh. :o

Um, never mind.

Kerosene
01-07-2010, 16:19
Here's the list of all of my 20+ mile backpacking days (day hikes and slackpacking not included):

20.0 - Wind Rock to Rice Field, north of Pearisburg (5/29/05; Day 3)
20.1 - Dalton, MA to Wilbur Crossing Lean-to (8/2/76; Day 3)
20.1 - Congdon Camp to Kid Gore Lean-to (8/5/76; Day 6)
20.3 - Trimpi Shelter to Wise Shelter (6/5/07; Day 2)
21.1 - Rockfish Gap to Maupin Field Shelter (10/15/02; Day 3)
21.4 - Stark's Nest to Skyline Lodge (Long Trail; 8/17/79; Day 14)
21.5 - Dismal Creek Falls to Bland (6/1/05; Day 6)
22.8 - Groseclose, VA to Trimpi Shelter (6/4/07; Day 1)
23.0 - Hampton, VA to Double Springs Shelter (10/25/08; Day 1)
23.9 - Wise Shelter to Saunders Shelter (6/6/07; Day 3)
24.3 - Downtown Pearisburg to Dismal Creek Falls (5/31/05; Day 5)
25.1 - Hampton, VA to Mountaineer Shelter (10/27/08; Day 3)

It's interesting to remember why I hiked as far as I did each of those days. Sometimes it was because the trail was easy, sometimes I wanted to keep walking after an early dinner, sometimes it was to take advantage of good hiking weather, etc. I didn't do it too often when I was young but lugging 45 pounds. It was a lot easier once I lightened up to the mid-20s and before my knees wore out. Of course, my ortho believes that my backpacking contributed to the cartilage loss.

scope
01-07-2010, 16:32
Good observation. I can relate to this. It seems I get more tired hiking lower miles if I'm with a slower hiker. Never realized that before.

Come to think of it, standing still is much more fatiguing and painful to me than walking. I can walk for hours at a time and enjoy every step. No way can I stand still for that long without being in misery.

I wonder if it has more to do with the efficiency of achieving your own rhythm?

ShelterLeopard
01-07-2010, 17:00
The same is true of Georgia. I had heard so many thru-hikers state that it was their toughest state, but as a section hiker who had already done Virginia through Vermont, Georgia was a walk in the park. I never had to stop on any ascent (at least to catch my breath) until I crossed the border into North Carolina on the climb out of Bly Gap.

Yeah- exactly. Just like when everyone gets to PA and finds the rocks- I've done the majority of my hiking in PA, so I don't really notice the rocks anymore, but am astounded at how awesome the trail is when there aren't rocks.

It's the toughest if you haven't already adapted to it, whatever it is.

tzbrown
01-07-2010, 19:54
That's the truth Nean!!

I like walking much more than I like camping, so I usually walk more. That doesn't mean I'm "rushing". When I'm feeling good, my favorite day on the Trail is to start early and watch the sun come up an hour or so later, walk all day, stopping to talk to anyone I see, maybe eat a cold dinner at a shelter and socialize a bit, then walk into dark before setting up my tent.

Thats what I am talking about, Hike more, camp less
TZ

babbage
01-10-2010, 20:28
Sweet. I bet the NOC to Fontana day was exhausting. Its cool to go back and organize something, like that data, and then it sort of looks different. I mean you obviously know that you did those days, but once organized it just sounds different. At least to me it would. I think you should be proud of those days - I do not interpret that as a brag, at all... I see where you are coming from. Hike on, my mileage stompin' brother.

jnanagardener
01-10-2010, 20:46
Scope writes: I wonder if it has more to do with the efficiency of achieving your own rhythm?

Your comment really resonated with me. Whether it be a long day hike or several long hikes in a weekend, rhythm is about balance, which is a huge part of why I love to hike at all! Nice comment.

J-Fro
01-10-2010, 20:48
My brother and I ran and walked from the Shuckstack firetower to Clingmans Dome in one day. Circa 1965.

Your the man, thats impressive with the elevation changes!! Wow!!

58starter
01-10-2010, 20:59
Way to go Fred. Someday I hope to get a 15mile day in before dark. Did I metion I was 58 yrs old and slow.

stranger
01-10-2010, 22:06
I don't know about other people, but what I've always found, almost without exception, is that those who do big days do not walk any faster, or rush, they simply walk for longer timeframes than say those who do shorter days.

Another thing I've noticed is that "faster" hikers never seem to mouth off about "slower" hikers, yet the oppositie is quite common...makes you wonder?

I guess some hikers have to hike in order to camp, while others have to camp in order to hike. I've always found it amusing how often hikers are criticized for hiking all day.

Phreak
01-10-2010, 22:43
I don't know about other people, but what I've always found, almost without exception, is that those who do big days do not walk any faster, or rush, they simply walk for longer timeframes than say those who do shorter days.
I must be an exception to this observation. I typically hike at 3.25-4mph whether I'm hiking short or long miles. I hiked 31.7 miles in 8 hours 5 minutes on the FHT a couple weeks ago with JJ and G8trh8tr.

Another thing I've noticed is that "faster" hikers never seem to mouth off about "slower" hikers, yet the oppositie is quite common...makes you wonder?
Those who mouth off about speed hikers are typically those who lack the ability to hike fast and long. I don't know why they feel the need to flame those of us who prefer faster hiking and higher mileage. I would never tell someone hiking a few miles a day and spending hours in camp is the wrong way to hike. Its simply different than my preferred style of hiking.

sbhikes
01-11-2010, 11:20
I enjoyed walking all day and cranking out big miles. Sitting around doing nothing was boring. I've done enough of that inside cubicles. When I get out there I want to walk.

I also really like waking in the early morning before the sun is up. Everything is so fresh and cool. And once I'm up, I'm up, so I may as well just keep going.

I felt proud of my ability to walk far each day. It made me feel really powerful and strong. I liked that feeling. If you don't care about that sort of thing, that's fine by me, but I truly enjoyed it.

I think if I hiked the AT I would strive for minimum 20 mile days, and since I'm not into partying and the descriptions here of the shelters sound like no fun at all to me, I think it would be pretty easy to do.

Blue Jay
01-11-2010, 12:45
That's the truth Nean!!

You don't count due to having Paul Bunyon legs. When you get and stretch you're into your second mile.:eek:

Blue Jay
01-11-2010, 12:49
That's get up and stretch. Also when you sneeze the mountain in front of you falls down, which really helps with mileage.

fredmugs
01-11-2010, 14:00
Thanks to everyone who is putting in their two cents. This is the best post I've ever made.

When I hit the trail I am in shape. I use my hikes as a reason to train otherwise I would be a fat lazy slob like I kinda am right now. My typical workout regimen is to do 30 miles in an hour on an upright exercise bike. It's tough and I sweat a lot but it doesn't pound my knees and hips like running would do and I think it builds up good hiking muscles.

As long as it's not a boulder scramble I love to climb. I did NOC to Fontana in the month of May and I hit the trail right at dawn. There was really no stretch of that hike that made me stop other than normal rest breaks. The Priest was way harder. I did do the Priest in 90 degree heat in the middle of a drought which didn't help. I don't consider the rollercoaster climbing. More like speed bumps.

I don't take breaks standing up either - standing still tightens up my back. Normally I just plop down on the trail. This is also why I bring the Excel spreadsheet. I try to find a road crossing, shelter, stream, etc. 2 - 3 miles away and then hike until I get there and plop down. This is also why I bring a meal that requires boiling water. I eat it for a late lunch and it forces me to take a nice long break in the middle of the day. Guess I'm not good at sitting still.

fredmugs
01-11-2010, 14:05
[QUOTE=OSUBCS#1;946695]I seem to remember Sassafras, Wildcat, and the climb out of Unicoi Gap being pretty tough in Ga, but that was on fresh legs. Now, the climb out of Bly gap I remember thinking "holy crap, welcome to N.C.".

Had to laugh at this one. My first time on the AT was Springer to Deep Gap. That same climb at the NC border absolutely kicked my rear. Take 15 baby steps, stop, 15 more, stop.

For the next 3 years everytime I was training for a hike I would say to myself "Welcome to North Carolina."