PDA

View Full Version : Is it my imagination?

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 18:33
Is it my imagination or is the Georgia AT section bug free in August???

On my section hike last August, I saw absolutely no ants and no problem with mosquitos..Is this the norm??

On that note, I am considering leaving the tent at home on the next trip. Does anyone have any comment on tent free camping and has anyone done it on the AT?

Tent free, I mean sleeping out in the open, on the ground. If rain is in the forecast then utilize shlters..

I didn't know where to put this, but since it is about tent/shelters, I assumed "Gear Talk"...

Graywolf

TD55
01-04-2010, 18:49
Not a good idea to be dependent on shelters Graywolf. To many others have the same idea. Rain comes and the shelter gets filled up quick. Your option may be to sleep under the shelter if it is a raised shelter, packed into the shelter like a sardine, or left out in the rain. Small tarp will give you freedom.

Spokes
01-04-2010, 19:01
Yes a tarp...........just an extra bit of hiker insurance.

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 19:32
Not a good idea to be dependent on shelters Graywolf. To many others have the same idea. Rain comes and the shelter gets filled up quick. Your option may be to sleep under the shelter if it is a raised shelter, packed into the shelter like a sardine, or left out in the rain. Small tarp will give you freedom.

WoW!!!Last August I saw a total of 6 hikers, only 2 were overnight/section hikers..

Had 2 shelters completely to myself...Didn't look that packed to me...

I will probably take the tent then, Henry Shires Tarp/tent. Just trying to weigh the options..I was amazed at the very little insect activity in regards to here in Texas where you can't go one foot without stepping in an ant hill...Lack of insects/ants is what prompted me with this idea...

Graywolf

sheepdog
01-04-2010, 19:50
so what about the bugs????

white_russian
01-04-2010, 19:52
WoW!!!Last August I saw a total of 6 hikers, only 2 were overnight/section hikers..

Had 2 shelters completely to myself...Didn't look that packed to me...

I will probably take the tent then, Henry Shires Tarp/tent. Just trying to weigh the options..I was amazed at the very little insect activity in regards to here in Texas where you can't go one foot without stepping in an ant hill...Lack of insects/ants is what prompted me with this idea...

Graywolf
But you never know when a large group will come and pack the house. Boy scouts, church groups, school groups, extended family's.

Rain Man
01-04-2010, 20:38
I had the same experience in Georgia in August. No bugs.

Amazingly, I was cold staying in the shelters, though, in a 45-degree bag!

If I recall correctly, in three nights of staying in shelters, from Springer to Neels Gap, only once did we share with anyone else, and that was just one guy, one night.

But carry a tent or tarp. It POURED rain part of every day and every night too.

Rain:sunMan

jrwiesz
01-04-2010, 20:51
so what about the bugs????

You can keep them. :D

sheepdog
01-04-2010, 20:53
You can keep them. :D
hey!!!!!...

bloodmountainman
01-04-2010, 21:20
The mighty "no-see-em" is very prevalent here in Ga. in August. Did you not have an itch or two?

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 23:11
I had the same experience in Georgia in August. No bugs.

Amazingly, I was cold staying in the shelters, though, in a 45-degree bag!

If I recall correctly, in three nights of staying in shelters, from Springer to Neels Gap, only once did we share with anyone else, and that was just one guy, one night.

But carry a tent or tarp. It POURED rain part of every day and every night too.

Rain:sunMan

Hello rain Man, I thought it was pretty nice.. before I left Dallas, I emailed some folks and asked about the weather, return answer was, " Very Hot, and DRY"..every answer I got..

So I packed a fleece blanket, 9 oz.. Upon arrival it was a little warm in Atlanta but not unbeable like Texas, so needless to say, when I got to Springer it was a balming 75*. Oh, man I was loving it,, Said to myself, "This is HOT?" Man, hope these folks don't go to texas, they'll die!!! " Anyway I was fortuanate. Most trips I have been on it rained a lot but this time it only rained one night I was there..temp dropped down to the 50*'s but the blanket worked a charm..

I think I will go ahead and take the Squall...It does bring a little reassurance into it..Or maybe a light weight tarp...Any ideas on a cheap light weight tarp?

Graywolf

daddytwosticks
01-05-2010, 08:41
Why not bring a lightweight sil-poncho? Rain gear, pack cover, and minimal shelter all-in-one. Get yourself a one oz. bug net from Walmart and your go-to-go. Maybe 9 to 11 oz. ? :)