PDA

View Full Version : Toenails falling off?

eyahiker
09-08-2004, 11:54
I've heard this mentioned before about losing toenails.........What happens when one of your little toenails starts to fall off?
I have one that is no longer attached to the nail 'bed' except at the bottom near the cuticle........should I mess with it? Pull it out?
No pain so far, just a thought before I head out again..........

Footslogger
09-08-2004, 12:05
When it's ready it'll fall off. Unless you are in a position to clean the area well and keep it clean/dry you really ought to let nature take its course. Pulling off the nail could result in an infection which might ruin your hike.

Wrap the dangling nail carefully and then pull on a sock and keep walking.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Kerosene
09-08-2004, 16:59
I lose my big toenails all the time from soccer. Just let 'em hang until they fall off and things should be fine. When my daughter was younger she used to call them "purple toes".

Hikerhead
09-08-2004, 19:02
You should think about maybe looking at a pair of bigger boots. I bought my first pair of hiking boots from a local outfitter. You would have thought they would have someone who knew a little more about boots than you but no...just another somebody. Anyway, they sold me a pair that were the same size as any other shoe I would wear, a size 10 reg. Sure they felt fine and nice in the store and did really well on short hikes. But anything over 8 or 10 miles and sure enough I would loose a big toe nail every time.

After about a year and a lot of toes nails, I went back to the outfitter knowing a little more about sizing boots, a lot of which I learned on Whiteblaze. Sure enough another sales person thought they could just sell me anything they wanted to. I pretty much told them to get away from me, that I would size my own shoe. So I had them to get a size 11, 1 size bigger than I usually wear, Sundowners I might add. They were just huge, front, back and on the sides. I asked if they had a size 11 narrow. They did. I could put my fingers between the heel and the back of the shoe and the sides fit perfectly. These have lasted about 3 years and I have not lost one toe nail with these boots.

Last week I went and bought my second pair of Sundowns at Outdoor Trails in Daleville, Va from Mark. I found out from Mark that the only shoe Vasque now carry that are still Italian made are the top of line model, Sundowner MX2. And soon none will be made in Italy, all will come from Japan. The only reason I mention this is that I've heard of problems with the ones from Japan, and maybe these problems have been worked out.

Mark didn't have the size 11 in narrow but he was nice enough to order me a pair. <yes, this is a plug for Outdoor Trails> ;)

2XL
09-09-2004, 17:24
I have not lost the nail off the big toes. I lost nails off both second toes last March and they still have not grown all the way back yet. No pain, just weird.

oyvay
09-13-2004, 01:01
I lost eight toenails (kept the little ones) in 2000. My toes kept jamming the inside of my boots on descents. They turned purple/blue first then fell off (usually when I pulled off my socks, the nails caught the material). I bought another pair boots in a larger size. The nails eventually grew back, calcium or glucosimine tablets help to speed up the process.

eyahiker
09-13-2004, 09:43
Yeah, finally fell off. No pain, just looks way weird.

Ahhh. my first toenail shed.............:p

rocket04
09-13-2004, 18:15
In the first couple weeks of my thru-hike, people would look at my 2 big toes that were all black and say "Already?!" I laughed and quickly explained that it was from soccer and not a few days of hiking.

Flash Hand
09-14-2004, 03:19
If your toenails look like its going to fall off but it is not.. just take a plier and plick it out... how fun <evil snickering>

Flash Hand :jump

eyahiker
09-14-2004, 03:24
Atrophic Toenail Club

;)

highway
09-17-2004, 09:58
I have not lost the nail off the big toes. I lost nails off both second toes last March and they still have not grown all the way back yet. No pain, just weird.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you probably have the pesky affliction known as Morton's Neuroma. The good news is that it's not life-threatening :D

2XL
09-17-2004, 10:58
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you probably have the pesky affliction known as Morton's Neuroma. The good news is that it's not life-threatening :D

I googled your diagnosis and that affliction is on the third and fourth toe, and nothing was mentioned of toe nail growth.
http://www.podiatrychannel.com/Images/neuroma.jpg
I'm not really concerned about the nails not growing back. I might even get a discount if I ever get a pedicure. :clap

highway
09-17-2004, 23:32
I googled your diagnosis and that affliction is on the third and fourth toe, and nothing was mentioned of toe nail growth.......

I erred by a word. You have Morton's toe. Big toe takes about a year to grow back. 2nd toe a little less. :o