PDA

View Full Version : "Are you An REI Member?"

AeroGuyDC
01-05-2010, 00:06
I've been in and out of REI 30+ times in the last year, usually just to see gear in person before going home to do more research online.

I swear I get asked "Are you an REI member" no less than 3 times on every visit. To be honest, its beyond annoying to me, to the point that I would rather buy online just to avoid the inevitable sales pitch.

Are you an REI Member? Is it really worth considering?

Red Beard
01-05-2010, 00:14
I'm usually either able to make a piece of gear, or wind up getting something better at the mom 'n pop outfitter instead of REI. The only thing I ever get here is boots, and yes the "Are you a member," pitch is annoying. Not worth it IMHO.

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 00:17
It actually depends on how much you plan on spending. They give you 20% your first purchase and it cost 15 or 20 to join. So if you're buying boots you'll probably break even. All in all I've probably "made" $40 off them since I joined (not including that break-even 20%) so, yes, I believe it's worth it.

white_russian
01-05-2010, 00:19
The scratch and dent sales is the big benefit of membership. The 20% off members only coupon combined with their unlimited return policy works good sometimes. The regular deal of 10% back on MSRP once a year isn't that good though.

Tinker
01-05-2010, 00:19
Yes, since 1985, just before I got a job there (for two+ years).
You will typically get a dividend for roughly 10 percent of your yearly purchases mailed to you every year. You can use the dividend like cash to buy more items from the company, or you can wait until later in the year and cash the dividend in for money. If you don't use it or cash it in it gets recycled into the company's operating capital.

BitBucket
01-05-2010, 00:20
Yep...the membership is definitely worth the cost...you can always find things cheaper on line, but rarely will you find a retailer these days that will give you the freedom/flexibility to return things that don't work out for you for any reason without charging you a hefty restocking fee.

I had a pair of convertible pants that I had had for 3-4 years and finally a zipper on one of the pockets gave out and broke. I was in the REI Nashville store around Thanksgiving and had them on when I mentioned to one of the sales guys that I had a problem with the zipper. They replaced them with a brand new pair right then and there...no questions...I've also taken back a number of other things that just didn't work out as well as I had hoped and they took them back and gave me either cash refunds or gift cards without any hassles either.

You also get a 10% rebate on all of your purchases so it doesn't take much to make up the membership fee...go ahead and get it and then you can tell them that you are a member when they ask...

leaftye
01-05-2010, 00:30
I used to go there so often that they knew me by name.

Graywolf
01-05-2010, 00:30
I agree with Bitbucket.. It is worth it.. usually I can buy things there that I can get online and don't have to pay the shipping fee. Also, here in Dallas, it's only $10 to join..Ive been a member since 1995 and love it..Plus they have all kinds of clinics, some open to the public and some for members only, which is well worth it...

Plus the divideneds at the end of the year, it's like owning stock in your own equipment, yeah, it's worth it..Plus the 10% savings..

I recently had a bike worked on.. The regular charge was 100$..When I picked the bike up I was asked if I was a member and when I said yes, the charge was dropped to a wopping $65.. yeah, it's worth it..

What is annoying to me is when I go into an outfitter and try to get help, and can't get it..That is annoying to me..

Graywolf

skinewmexico
01-05-2010, 01:30
I just say yeah, since 1973. Before your focus was dressing soccer moms like outdoor women.

RedneckRye
01-05-2010, 03:33
Disclaimer>>>
I have worked at an independently owned gear shop for the last decade and I firmly believe that everyone should support their local shop - gear store, grocery, book store, record store, mechanic, etc. That isn't just so I can have a job (most any other job would pay better than working at a small independant retail shop of any sort), but because buying from the huge chain or the online discount site does nothing to support the community where you live.
Anyhow, back to the original question...

I've been in and out of REI 30+ times in the last year, usually just to see gear in person before going home to do more research online.

I swear I get asked "Are you an REI member" no less than 3 times on every visit. To be honest, its beyond annoying to me, to the point that I would rather buy online just to avoid the inevitable sales pitch.

If you only go to REI to look at gear and use them as a source of "touch it, feel it, try it on" so that you can go home and buy it online to save a few bucks then you have no cause to claim that their frequent "Are you a member?" question is an irritation.

I've only been into an REI once (their homebase superstore in Seattle and I was thoroughly unimpressed, the Feathered Friends shop a block or two away was spectacular) so I have no real idea what their retail experience is all about.

What other questions have you been asked? Have the folks there been helpful and asked where are you going and what are you doing?
Have they answered your questions about one piece of gear versus another? Offered you advice about something you hadn't considered? Etc, etc?

Online research is great, but should you seriously consider the opinion of a guy named "My pack weighs 12.3 grams less than yours" from the www.ultralighterthanyou.com website that may have never actually gone into the woods over someone that works 40 hours a week at a gear store and touches, sees, and works with gear everyday?

The Will
01-05-2010, 07:52
The outdoor industry has not been exempt from the economic swoon. Membership sales are an effective means for them to increase their income. What business is not constantly looking for innovative ways to do this? Might it be safe to assume that each employee is simply doing their job, representing what they believe is in the best interest of the customer and their employer?

It doesn't seem too pushy. If you are going there as frequently as you say than it seems that attraction is by far outweighing promotion.

A claim that someone would not ultimately "come out on top" by paying the $20 membership fee to REI when most purchases are made through other retailers may be legitimate. Personally, I like to enter the variable of stewardship into the equation. Case and point, only 4 years ago a Nat'l Parks Pass cost $50. I bought them annually and had little problem recouping (or coming close) my costs via savings on entrance fees. Now the pass costs $80. I may not visit the Parks enough times in a year to get the better of my $80 expenditure but I have contributed to a cause I believe in. The one great difference between this and other donations that I make is that I'm benefitted--in the form of exemption from Park entrance fees--more directly than I am when I give to other causes or organizations. As well with REI. On their webpage there is a stewardship section detailing their service work (any many other contributions) to protect and improve the places I love to go out and play in. I gladly support that with my one time membership fee all the while receiving a 10% discount for life.

As I re-read my post it sounds somewhat like a retaliation, which wasn't my intention. Just a reflection and my personal perspective. . .

Toolshed
01-05-2010, 08:55
One time fee of $20 stymied me for a few years - especially having been a former Brother of the Apron (EMS). I finally joined around 1992-93.
Otherwise I always bought closeouts and sale items at the cheapest prices I could find, regardless of retailer.
Little by little I started to change my ways - especially when marriage & kids came along. suddenly you just don't have the time to spend an hour or so looking for the cheapest price. The nice thing is that if i have to buy something and cannot find it on sale (camping accessories are usually never on sale) I can use my REI card/REI Credit card and receive dividends which do add up.

One of the big ways it benefited me was in 2004 I bought a 300 tent and meant to return it. Soon after, we ended up moving for a new job and it wasn't until 2006 we were unpacking final boxes when I found the tent. It was still in store bought condition, but no receipt. I called them and gave them my membership #- they looked it up and accepted it with no receipt and refunded me the price I paid.

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2010, 09:12
I'll go out of my way to find an REI rather than go to the local shop. Way bigger inventory and things are right there and available to buy. Sales staff has always been very friendly and helpful and there is the no-question return policy. I tried using our local shop when I was first getting into backpacking. The owner sold me an overpriced pack that was completely wrong for me but I didn't know any better at the time. Both owners have a palpable disdain for anyone that they don't see as hardcore hikers. The staff would rather hang out in a back room and chat among themselves. I took my daughter in there to look around and one of the owners was on the phone. She said in a loud voice to the person on the other end "Yes, we like customers who actually buy things, not just look around." We walked out and never went back after that. Before that incident I had tried to get some things through them and was always told "We'll have to order it." No thanks. I'll drive the 30+ miles to REI and get it off the shelf or order it myself from REI on-line and get the dividend.

Two Speed
01-05-2010, 09:16
I'll go out of my way to find an REI rather than go to the local shop . . . Then you're missing out on seeing some of the newer and more techologically advanced gear. REI carries all the yuppie gear you could want, but you won't find gear built by cottage industries like Etowah Outfitters, JrB quilts, and still haven't seen any ULA products or Anti-Gravity Gear at an REI.

FWIW I am an REI member. Still have the card I got in 1980something. Kind of a gas to present that at the cash register and see how the clerk reacts.

Cabin Fever
01-05-2010, 09:26
Buying local vs. buying online comes down to the $$$. Case in point: Last year I bought a new Gregory pack from REI Outlet for $120. Used a coupon and got free shipping which saved me about $30. That exact same pack is still listed at $190 at one of my local shops (as of last week). Why would I pay upwards of $100 do 'support my local shop'. If I had plenty of money, I would, but I don't. It's just business. I do buy lots of smaller things at my local shop though out of convenience.

I have hauled in well over $1000 from REI dividends and REI credit card rewards.

The first time I went in an REI (Nashville), I bought a pair of boots and the cost of a membership was worth it on the spot.

REI is a conservation powerhouse with all of their grants and volunteers and I have no problem supporting them. Sure, they sell crap to yuppie urbanites that just want to look the part, but so what. How many local shops sell North Face or Mountain Hardwear to idiot teenagers that just want to wear a label?

Two Speed
01-05-2010, 09:33
Eh, I'm not really "invested" either way. I go to Mountain Crossings and Alabama Outdoors when I'm in the area, and have found some good deals and ideas. Have been seen at the Kennesaw REI shop and been to the Denver REI once or twice.

The short version is good gear is where you find it. Getting hard core that "REI is the bomb" or "REI sucks" is going to guarantee you miss seeing new ideas and gear. FWIW I've gotten a few good pieces of gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op (http://mec.ca). Evidently a Canadian version of REI. If the travel gods are kind I'll go to their store one day.

garlic08
01-05-2010, 09:37
I joined REI when I lived in Seattle in the early 80s and they were still in the old store on Capitol Hill, when "the attic" really was "the attic", before the concept of "flagship stores" ever existed, and there was a guy I worked with who had a three-digit membership number (a status symbol, for sure). They didn't quite have wood ice-axes on the shelves still, but they didn't use them as door handles, either. I'd say back then it was worth it because it was a good gear store. Jim Whittaker was still on the board.

Now, I'm not so sure. If I had to pay a fee again, I wouldn't. I go to a store a few times a year to buy a Platy or can of ski wax or bicycle inner tube or something. By the way, I've never been asked in a store if I'm a member. I keep my membership only because I have their Visa card and I get 1% dividend at REI whenever I charge anything, anywhere, then wait till July and get a nice wad of cash back.

I agree that REI has gone very mainstream and yuppie-oriented. There's little in there for the dedicated long-distance hiker. That stuff is definitely on the fringe, in the cottage industries Two-Speed mentioned.

FritztheCat
01-05-2010, 09:37
There isn't a REI in my city so I haven't had the experience of the OP in being asked about my membership. There's an REI supposed to be opening in Richmond which is about an hour and a half away, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

I do find some of the "stock questions" asked by store personnel to be annoying. The most annoying to me is Sears people. I went in to purchase an item with cash (the item was about $12 total) and was asked a barrage of questions. "Do you want to put this on your Sears card?" "Would you like to apply for a Sears card and receive 15% off your purchase today?" "May I have your zip code?" "Telephone number?" "Would you like us to email you special offers?"

No damnit! Just ring up my bloody purchase for crying out loud! I'm pretty patient normally but the endless stream of questions was really pissing me off.

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 09:43
Online research is great, but should you seriously consider the opinion of a guy named "My pack weighs 12.3 grams less than yours" from the www.ultralighterthanyou.com website that may have never actually gone into the woods over someone that works 40 hours a week at a gear store and touches, sees, and works with gear everyday?

The Internet is NOT A MERITOCRACY!

Toolshed
01-05-2010, 09:58
Eh, I'm not really "invested" either way. I go to Mountain Crossings and Alabama Outdoors when I'm in the area, and have found some good deals and ideas. Have been seen at the Kennesaw REI shop and been to the Denver REI once or twice.

The short version is good gear is where you find it. Getting hard core that "REI is the bomb" or "REI sucks" is going to guarantee you miss seeing new ideas and gear. FWIW I've gotten a few good pieces of gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op (http://mec.ca). Evidently a Canadian version of REI. If the travel gods are kind I'll go to their store one day.
Excellent post!!!!:)

Two Speed
01-05-2010, 10:00
. . . There's little in there for the dedicated long-distance hiker. That stuff is definitely on the fringe, in the cottage industries Two-Speed mentioned.Eh, there's some stuff in REI for LD hikers. Realistically I'm more of a wannabe long distance hiker than hard core.

I think we're pumping the same well, though. There's some good stuff at REI, but if you want cutting edge stuff don't bother.

FWIW the gear I'm proudest of I either made or modified myself or friends made for me.

To get back to the OP I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't ask the employee if they're a member as they approach. Kinda like asking a homeless dude if he's got change. Hard hearted but there are times I will amuse myself by doing that.

Big Dawg
01-05-2010, 10:46

Yes! Yes!

They know that an REI member is a repeat customer, so they make sure EVERYONE knows about the great benefits of being a member. For me... if the item I'm looking for can be bought at a big retailer like REI, there's no question about where I'll buy it!!! The return policy is second to none, and reason alone to be a member.

Spogatz
01-05-2010, 10:48
I love REI but I don't go there when I am looking for a specific piece of gear. I go to Mountain Crossings. REI is my deal store. I go there for the sales and look for the discounted gear. The only time that I would buy gear there that is not on sale if if they don't have it at MXing.

Fiddleback
01-05-2010, 10:51
I joined in the early 80's and I visit the Missoula store three or four times a year. In all that time, and in the three or four stores I've been in, I don't recall ever being asked if I am a member...except at checkout when they request the member number.

I think REI is a neat store with fun workers to interface with. I also think it's a high price store whose prices can often be beat. But I like the place and really like the convenience of ordering on-line and stopping in the next week to pick-up my free-shipped item.:)

FB

white_russian
01-05-2010, 11:01
Then you're missing out on seeing some of the newer and more techologically advanced gear. REI carries all the yuppie gear you could want, but you won't find gear built by cottage industries like Etowah Outfitters, JrB quilts, and still haven't seen any ULA products or Anti-Gravity Gear at an REI.

FWIW I am an REI member. Still have the card I got in 1980something. Kind of a gas to present that at the cash register and see how the clerk reacts.
My local guy is just like a small REI: no cottage gear at all! I can go two towns over and there is a local guy there and he has a single tarptent on his shelf but other than that he is just like a small REI. Where are those ULA or Anti-Gravity Gear products then?

Nean
01-05-2010, 11:07
The question I hate most is: you want cheese on that hamburger?:mad:

Hell no- if I wanted a cheeseburger I'd order one.:eek:
After decades of ordering wouldn't I know what I want?:confused:

Anyways- are you a member? doesn't really bother me.;)

Nean
01-05-2010, 11:08
My local guy is just like a small REI: no cottage gear at all! I can go two towns over and there is a local guy there and he has a single tarptent on his shelf but other than that he is just like a small REI. Where are those ULA or Anti-Gravity Gear products then?
In outfitters along the trail.;)

Two Speed
01-05-2010, 11:21
. . . Where are those ULA or Anti-Gravity Gear products then?MTX (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) carries ULA and Anti-Gravity Gear. If you're a neighbor to the west of Georgia Alabama Outdoors (http://www.alabamaoutdoors.com/) carries a better selection, too. Got to be some other oufitters in Georgia and Alabama that I'm ignoring, just can't think of them right now.

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2010, 11:21
Then you're missing out on seeing some of the newer and more techologically advanced gear. REI carries all the yuppie gear you could want, but you won't find gear built by cottage industries like Etowah Outfitters, JrB quilts, and still haven't seen any ULA products or Anti-Gravity Gear at an REI.

Never saw any of that at our local shop either.

Blissful
01-05-2010, 11:27
We're a member of REI and have received nice dividends from it when we buy gear as well as coupons, etc Good return policy.

Blissful
01-05-2010, 11:27
Never saw any of that at our local shop either.

Ditto to that...

Two Speed
01-05-2010, 11:28
Never saw any of that at our local shop either.Try another shop.

Old Grouse
01-05-2010, 11:47
Some of you marketing mavens can probably speak to this: I assume that once a store decides to go regional or nationwide, it must also broaden its inventory to appeal to larger numbers of buyers. So yes, REI and the like may carry a lot of items that appeal to the much maligned soccer moms as well as to hard-core types. But let's remember that (a) it results in stores conveniently closer to you, and (b) some of those soccer moms are closet hard-core ultralight hikers, too.

When I go to a supermarket I don't complain because I have to walk all the way past the brussels sprouts to get to the broccoli. The same technique works at an outfitter.

Nean
01-05-2010, 11:54
MTX (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) carries ULA and Anti-Gravity Gear. If you're a neighbor to the west of Georgia Alabama Outdoors (http://www.alabamaoutdoors.com/) carries a better selection, too. Got to be some other oufitters in Georgia and Alabama that I'm ignoring, just can't think of them right now.

Mountain Crossings!:)

grizzlyadam
01-05-2010, 12:03
Where are those ULA or Anti-Gravity Gear products then?

Since ULA Products are only carried in 4 stores (3 of them being on the AT) I think you'd be hard pressed to find them at "local stores"...

bigcranky
01-05-2010, 12:10
We've been REI members for more than 20 years. Until recently, when a store opened in Greensboro, we could only shop online or when we visited family in the DC area. The then-$15 membership cost has been worth it, in my opinion.

While we do shop at REI, we're generally not looking for hard core long distance hiking gear. We're buying clothing, or trail runners, or a new daypack, maybe some maps or fuel, whatever. Mostly my wife finds clothing she likes on sale. We treat it the same way we treat our local outfitter -- who, by the way, doesn't carry any hard core LD hiking gear, either. A nice place to shop for stuff, and look for good deals. Not a place to buy a tarptent or a UL pack or serious fringe hiking gear.

The main benefit we get from REI is the credit card. We use our REI VISA for everything, and pay it off every month. We get 1% back on purchases, and 10% back at REI. Our dividend has been around $400 per year, and we usually plan to purchase a new piece of gear with it. Two years ago we got a new bike rack for the truck (swing-away hitch rack), and last year we got the cash back and bought a Montbell UL SS #0 bag. I know there are plenty of cash-back credit cards out there, for airlines and Costco and whatever, but we chose this one and we're happy with it.

Two Speed
01-05-2010, 12:22
Since ULA Products are only carried in 4 stores (3 of them being on the AT) I think you'd be hard pressed to find them at "local stores"...Fair point, but how many "cottage industry" products can you find at REI?

IMHO it's up to the individual to do the research and decide what gear, techniques and skills works for them. That requires looking around and understanding that REI has its place in the hiker world as do the small outfitters. None of them are the be all and end all.

Anyway, this horse has been beaten on this web site more than once so I'm going to do something important to me, like go to lunch.

white_russian
01-05-2010, 12:25
Fair point, but how many "cottage industry" products can you find at REI?
Hennessey Hammocks

double d
01-05-2010, 12:27
The outdoor industry has not been exempt from the economic swoon. Membership sales are an effective means for them to increase their income. What business is not constantly looking for innovative ways to do this? Might it be safe to assume that each employee is simply doing their job, representing what they believe is in the best interest of the customer and their employer?

It doesn't seem too pushy. If you are going there as frequently as you say than it seems that attraction is by far outweighing promotion.

A claim that someone would not ultimately "come out on top" by paying the $20 membership fee to REI when most purchases are made through other retailers may be legitimate. Personally, I like to enter the variable of stewardship into the equation. Case and point, only 4 years ago a Nat'l Parks Pass cost $50. I bought them annually and had little problem recouping (or coming close) my costs via savings on entrance fees. Now the pass costs $80. I may not visit the Parks enough times in a year to get the better of my $80 expenditure but I have contributed to a cause I believe in. The one great difference between this and other donations that I make is that I'm benefitted--in the form of exemption from Park entrance fees--more directly than I am when I give to other causes or organizations. As well with REI. On their webpage there is a stewardship section detailing their service work (any many other contributions) to protect and improve the places I love to go out and play in. I gladly support that with my one time membership fee all the while receiving a 10% discount for life.

As I re-read my post it sounds somewhat like a retaliation, which wasn't my intention. Just a reflection and my personal perspective. . .
Very well thought out responds, the only thing I would add is that the fees to our National Park System do not directly go to the National Park, they go directly only to the federal government (I believe this is still the policy). Otherwise, I think your post sums up my feelings about REI, a very good company to be a member of.

sherrill
01-05-2010, 13:10
The main benefit we get from REI is the credit card. We use our REI VISA for everything, and pay it off every month. We get 1% back on purchases, and 10% back at REI. Our dividend has been around $400 per year, and we usually plan to purchase a new piece of gear with it. Two years ago we got a new bike rack for the truck (swing-away hitch rack), and last year we got the cash back and bought a Montbell UL SS #0 bag. I know there are plenty of cash-back credit cards out there, for airlines and Costco and whatever, but we chose this one and we're happy with it.

We do the same here. And now you can use the credit card to charge a trip through REI Travels and get the dividend as well.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 13:29

I try not to get too annoyed at employees when they're doing something that they're required to do. And perhaps that's just the price you pay for the convenience of having a large store with a large selection to browse through.

I got an REI card when I lived in Philly and the nearest decent place to buy gear was the REI in Conshohocken. If you're going to be buying a fair amount there, it's definitely worth it.

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2010, 13:51
Since ULA Products are only carried in 4 stores (3 of them being on the AT) I think you'd be hard pressed to find them at "local stores"...

Thank you.

Blissful
01-05-2010, 14:06

My "local store" is Rockfish Gap Outfitters on the At and they do not carry ULA. And I don't have time to shuffle off four to five hours lookin. We were just saying that those products are tough to find. Be nice if they were carried in more places but they aren't.

scope
01-05-2010, 14:18

I'm a little like you, I'm in the store a lot, mostly looking/touching/feeling. Got to do that because there are so few places, even in Atlanta, where you can get "real" equipment, and it costs money to return stuff. Inevitably I'll be buying something at some point. I mostly only buy clearance stuff, but I sometimes use the 20% off coupons that members get during the year. I think I paid $15 for the membership and I've received much more than that over the last two years in dividends.

Mags
01-05-2010, 18:28
Don't shop at REI myself very often.

From something I posted on pct-l. As usual, I was shy about expressing my opinion. ;)

Nothing wrong per se, but REI (being so big) makes most of their money on the "outdoors as a lifestyle" image. More apparel is sold than gear. People look like they are outside even if they are mainly sipping coffee at the Starbucks just outside the REI, etc.
And that type of customer is likely to buy the totchkes that "you absolutely need to be prepared in the woods"...without the knowledge and experience to know when to not need it (or use it all).The local army/navy store that sells discount polypro probably does not get the same customer. Nor the high end mountaineering/backcountry ski shop.

As for the REI market..check out their catalog. Some smiling, good looking, clean cut, happy people doing something way cool to show how active people are who use their gear. Turn the page...and it all looks like people from an episode of "Friends"! Lattes included. Now, you wouldn't want someone with my ugly mug on the front page (to say the least) and it is great marketing. But well, it shows what the market is: "The Outdoors as Lifestyle".

So yes..other outdoor stores can do the same thing. But, if we are honest, REI is the 800 lb gorilla that, even more so than LL Bean or any other large outdoor retailer, is the main purveyor of the "outdoors as a lifestyle".

I'm not against people making a buck. I wish I had a successful business model like REI has currently. Doesn't mean I can't recognize what their customer base consists of mainly: Probably the same people who may make a Yuppie 911 call. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33470581/):)

Back to this post again...

REI is not evil, or bad, or whatever. They DO sell outdoor equipment and not just apparel. And some of their customers are active outdoors people.

But what they really sell is a life style image. I just want the gear and clothing. Not the image. I can often find what I need at other places more specific to my needs/desires. I hate shopping..much less wading through the many racks of fleece and travel clothing to find a simple pair of wool liner gloves. ;)

My clothing is a mix of the local surplus store (sell generic and cheaper gear besides surplus), Campmor and some cottage manufacturers and small-to-just-under-medium-sized companies (ie. GoLite because of their sales in town) For my winter gear I often shop at the local mountaineering/backcountry ski place in town because they know their stuff. It is more $$$$, but, well, I am paying for their knowledge base and specialty equipment. (See, it is more than just $$$$. :D)

I also recognize I am blessed to live in an area with MANY outdoor options. If I lived somewhere else (like back in Rhody), I'd probably be an REI customer with a smattering of mail order purchases.

Having said that, when people have given me REI gift cards in the past, you can be sure as hell I spend it there. :)

RE: MEC

When I was in Banff this summer, I stopped at a MEC in Calgary just before my time in the park. Wow...it is like some cool cross between Campmor and what REI used to be. Good, functional equipment for good prices. Their house-brand stuff is very functional, well made (from what other friends have told me) and inexpensive. When the exchange rate is better, it is worth ordering the MEC gear..even with shipping. I bought an MEC brand Polartec fleece hat. Nothing fancy. Just well made, warm and light. Total cost? $5 CDN!

Wise Old Owl
01-05-2010, 18:42
I love REI over EMS and I am a member.

That's my vote.

Support your local cottage manufactures too.

YoungMoose
01-05-2010, 20:09
Im not a REI member becuase i do what you do go to stores to see it in person then i order it at whatever place is the cheapest online.

Yahtzee
01-05-2010, 21:00
Im not a REI member becuase i do what you do go to stores to see it in person then i order it at whatever place is the cheapest online.

You are wise Young Moose. Soon, we will just call you Moose.

REI's return policy alone makes it worthwhile. The dividend is cool, too. Never amounts to much for me, but every little bit helps. And the sales are great. Just picked up a pair of Chaco's at 40% off. Better than any price on the web.

All that said, the internet will eventually dominate most of these stores. The Young Moose's of the world have it right. And soon, they will outnumber those to whom shopping is some sort of "experience". These are all capitalist transactions, regardless of the mom/pop or corporate nature of the seller. The buyers have an obligation to themselves to get the best deal they can. Sometimes, it happens to be REI, IF you are a member.

Feral Bill
01-05-2010, 21:19
I've been a member for many years and have been mostly satsified with REI gear and service. I also shop at other local stores, Mountain Goat, a mom and pop with a small but interesting selection, and Mountain Gear, a former mom and pop that is now a large internet presence. All are useful places.

As for the yuppie clothing and image stuff, I expect it subsidises the real gear to a large extent. REI, being a coop, makes not profit, beyond the yearly dividend.

I would suggest to Young Moose that using the resources of real stores, then throwing the buisiness to web dealers is unethical and self defeating. You will have no place to see and touch gear if the stores can't stay in buisiness.

mikec
01-05-2010, 21:30
I try to spread my gear dollars around to places like REI, EMS, Bean, Campmor, small town independents as well as the hunting places like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro and Cabelas. Each of them have unique items that I can use.

EMS stores in Manchester Center, VT and West Lebanon, NH really helped me out when section hiking in New England in summer, 2009.

Belew
01-05-2010, 21:34
I got 30 cents back on my dividend last year, woohoo! I need to use it up before it gos back to the company.:D

AeroGuyDC
01-05-2010, 21:36
Someone mentioned military surplus stores as a source of outdoor gear. For the most part, I have largely forgotten to even look at those places for gear. Thanks for the reminder!

I will most likely get an REI membership in the near future, as well.

Yahtzee
01-05-2010, 21:49
I would suggest to Young Moose that using the resources of real stores, then throwing the buisiness to web dealers is unethical and self defeating. You will have no place to see and touch gear if the stores can't stay in buisiness.

I gotta disagree that "freeriding" on brick and mortar stores is unethical. Is it ethical for out of the way stores to charge more because they know their competition is over 100 miles away? Buyers owe no more obligation to sellers beyond their money being good.

As for your thought that "freeriding" is self-defeating, that may be true. However, as price is the primary factor in nearly every transaction this is tradeoff that, IMO, most consumers would make. And, almost certainly one almost all born after the internet boom would make. The internet is a fantastic resource for product information and reading reviews on products can be more enlightening than seeing the real thing up close. For example, as a Chaco wearer of 9 years, I would be unaware by sight and touch that there has been a recent problem with the glue use to bind the sole to the base or that the new sole is not considered as good as the original. However, this is the consensus of the reviews I have read on the web. So, while I agree that "freeriding" may put some brick and mortars out of business, I don't believe it will be any big loss to the consumer accustomed to shopping and buying on the web.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 22:50
Is it ethical for out of the way stores to charge more because they know their competition is over 100 miles away?

I'm not sure what your first question has to do with the subject. My answer to that question would have to do more with supply and demand than ethics.

But in my opinion, if you go to an outfitter, have them fit you for a pack or boots, ask questions of the employees, or otherwise use their services, with no intention of buying from them but instead going online to buy, then yeah, I consider it unethical. Because it's theft of services. Those aspects of a store are services provided for people who intend to buy.

Now I'll agree that there's a wealth of information online, and that's a wonderful thing. But the fact that an awful lot of people like the idea of going to an outfitter says to me that the online information isn't enough for some. Because ultimately, the internet is a wonderful place to buy, but not always the best place to shop. So if you think the internet is a truly fantastic resource, then don't go into an outfitter at all and use their services with no intention of paying for them (because that service is part of why the item is more expensive in a store).

I resent the fact that there are people who think it's okay to come into my store, have me measure their feet and fit them for shoes, and then walk out, never having had the intention of buying from me. If you're committed to only buying online, then shop online and stay out of physical stores.

When I worked in a bookstore and customers asked me why books were cheaper online, I often responded, "because this company is paying me to be here to answer your question."

Not Sunshine
01-05-2010, 22:54
I hooked myself up with the REI chase credit card and every REI purchase I make - even the sale items, I get 5% dividends....for the actual membership - not so thrilling...I broke even by buying a pair of boots. I also scored a $30 giftcard when I opened the credit card account. I always pay it in full anyway, so it was just free money to me. :-p

johnnybgood
01-05-2010, 22:55
I love REI over EMS and I am a member.

That's my vote.

Support your local cottage manufactures too.
I endorse the above statement .

disclaimer: 10 characters are needed.

Yahtzee
01-05-2010, 23:17
Jester, my point to the question was, don't expect me to act "ethically" when the company is charging what the market will bear. If you wish to call that supply and demand, that is fine, but it is a markup based on a geographical monopoly.

As for your experience working at an outfitter, I can't feel much sympathy. There is a better mousetrap out there. The services offered by the outfitter aren't for those intending to buy, they are an enticement to buy. If the outfitter doesn't like the trend, reduce staff and no longer offer the enticement.

Frankly, I think the outfitter you work for has done a great job of using the internet to sell their wares. I have seen them many times on Ebay in the "buy now" offerings. That is adapting to a new reality. Expecting consumers to have loyalty to any store or employee is weird. Companies are in the business of maximizing profits, consumers are in the business of getting the best deal they can. Simply because consumers are now better equipped to get the best deal doesn't make it wrong, it makes it new and strange and causes uncertainty. But expecting consumers to pay more for services they aren't charged for is like asking a company to charge less so more consumers can afford to buy their product. There is no incentive and until there is, the consumer has the upper hand.

Dogwood
01-05-2010, 23:25
Just from a financial stand pt I think Johnny Thunder was right in the very beginning. It depends on how much you are spending. One good sized shopping spree or $100 purchase is all you need to break even or save money and have a lifetime membership in the process with all its perks. I haven't been to every REI but A LOT of them in different states. In general, they have a good variety of outdoor gear(not just hiking and not just apparel but also maps, food, books, etc.)under one roof, have good customer service, competitive prices on many items, and an excellent return policy. I don't find these aspects in every outfitter. Plus, they hold some worthy to attend clinics, rent gear, and support some good causes. Like another poster said, "good gear is where you find it." REI is just one store/outlet/website of many I patronize for outdoor gear. REI doesn't have to be all this or all that. I easily have received more than $500 in dividends and who knows how many more perks and discounts at special sales, by negotiating with a sales manager, and the occassional discount coupon in an Email. Yeah, I can't find everything at REI, especially some of the UL mom and pop type gear I desire but what outfitter does carry everything everyone could want? I treat REI like any other outfitter, but provides me w/ some additional perks I take advantage of. I also enjoy knowing that my purchases contribute to some good causes. From my perspective, REI has its place in my hiking and outdoor world.

If the OP is that easily annoyed by several employees asking, "are you an REI member?" I wonder what other ways the OP is easily annoyed! I suppose when the OP goes to the grocery store or home improvement center and they are asked, "what is your zip code?" they are also annoyed? Does it really hurt to say" no thank you" or "not interested" or "already a member" or just provide a wave of the hand?

Reneck Rye, your post reminded me that I missed checking out the Feathered Friends store in Seattle when I was at the REI there. Ugh!

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 23:30
I think Johnny Thunder was right

Say no more.

Jester2000
01-05-2010, 23:42
Jester, my point to the question was, don't expect me to act "ethically" when the company is charging what the market will bear. If you wish to call that supply and demand, that is fine, but it is a markup based on a geographical monopoly.

As for your experience working at an outfitter, I can't feel much sympathy. There is a better mousetrap out there. The services offered by the outfitter aren't for those intending to buy, they are an enticement to buy. If the outfitter doesn't like the trend, reduce staff and no longer offer the enticement.

Frankly, I think the outfitter you work for has done a great job of using the internet to sell their wares. I have seen them many times on Ebay in the "buy now" offerings. That is adapting to a new reality. Expecting consumers to have loyalty to any store or employee is weird. Companies are in the business of maximizing profits, consumers are in the business of getting the best deal they can. Simply because consumers are now better equipped to get the best deal doesn't make it wrong, it makes it new and strange and causes uncertainty. But expecting consumers to pay more for services they aren't charged for is like asking a company to charge less so more consumers can afford to buy their product. There is no incentive and until there is, the consumer has the upper hand.

So if I'm not to expect you to act "'ethically' when the company is charging what the market will bear," could you justify stealing a product from an outfitter if you thought they were charging too much? Or is that too unethical?

The fact is, there isn't a better mousetrap out there. It turns out that consumers just want to have both kinds of mousetraps, and they don't want to pay for one of them. If the internet was a "better mousetrap," the "customers" about which I'm writing would never come in my store. People have always paid more for service, because the price of that service was built into the cost of the item. So yeah, maybe we get rid of staff and all services, but nobody actually wants that. They still want the service. They just don't want to pay the cost.

Perhaps what all outfitters should do is charge a fitting fee that is nonrefundable but can be put towards the price of purchase. You want to try on a pack? Give me ten dollars first.

The problem with that is that it would immediately be decried as "bad service."

I had a friend who used to say: "Cheap, fast, or right. Pick two." You could have something cheap and fast, but it would be shoddy. Or you could have it cheap and right, but it would take a long time. Or you could have it fast and right, but it would be expensive. Today's consumers want all three, and it's annoying.

Sly
01-06-2010, 01:13
Disclaimer>>>
I have worked at an independently owned gear shop for the last decade and I firmly believe that everyone should support their local shop - gear store, grocery, book store, record store, mechanic, etc. That isn't just so I can have a job (most any other job would pay better than working at a small independant retail shop of any sort), but because buying from the huge chain or the online discount site does nothing to support the community where you live.
Anyhow, back to the original question...

That's silly, of course a "local" REI helps the local economy. Why wouldn't it since it provides jobs and pays taxes.

Yes, I'm a member and being asked doesn't bother me.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 01:43
That's silly, of course a "local" REI helps the local economy. Why wouldn't it since it provides jobs and pays taxes.

Yes, I'm a member and being asked doesn't bother me.

Agreed. In a perfect world I'd rather have the small mom-and-pop. But REI isn't the most top-heavy organization I've ever read about (did some business school research on them once). Compared to a local retailer the REI lacks some of the employees/managers/functions that are handled at the corporate office. Probably someone to do the purchasing, accounts receivable/payable, human resources, etc.

I'll defer to those who have first hand experience. It seems like if we're talking pure economics (which I've been flamed for flexing before) the REI vs the Independent is probably a push. The local probably has a larger (local) management team while the REI more often than not would have a larger space (rent), a bigger staff (payroll), and more sales (tax). That's just a function of the strength of their brand and doesn't reflect at all on ground-level service.

Sly
01-06-2010, 01:55
Agreed. In a perfect world I'd rather have the small mom-and-pop. But REI isn't the most top-heavy organization I've ever read about (did some business school research on them once). Compared to a local retailer the REI lacks some of the employees/managers/functions that are handled at the corporate office. Probably someone to do the purchasing, accounts receivable/payable, human resources, etc.

I'll defer to those who have first hand experience. It seems like if we're talking pure economics (which I've been flamed for flexing before) the REI vs the Independent is probably a push. The local probably has a larger (local) management team while the REI more often than not would have a larger space (rent), a bigger staff (payroll), and more sales (tax). That's just a function of the strength of their brand and doesn't reflect at all on ground-level service.

I'm not sure how many mom and pop outfitters have staff beyond the owners and a few sales people but I get your point, I think.

Also, even stores such as MTX, Mt Rogers and The Outfitters at HF have internet sales, "robbing" the more local stores of business. Much of the argument centers around cottage industry types and lightweight gear not found in REI type stores. Unless you happen to live near the three previously mention, one is most likely to buy online direct from the manufacturers.

Doooglas
01-07-2010, 07:20
NOOP
I don't go to Walmart or Homelessland Despots either.

Toolshed
01-07-2010, 07:34
I got 30 cents back on my dividend last year, woohoo! I need to use it up before it gos back to the company.:D
FWIW, It won't go back to REI - they will send you a check of any remaining dividend funds around July of the following year.....

horicon
01-07-2010, 07:56
Yes??? But I have not bought any thing from them in 3 years. I would have to find my REI number.

Connie
01-07-2010, 07:58
I agree with everything good said about REI. I also agree with every criticism.

I will add one more criticism: I really don't like seeing REI abandoning it's customer base (hikers, backpackers, and mountainclimbers) to be selling knick-knacks and "yuppie" carriages and "toys" for "yuppie" offspring, and all those cheap goods.

I go to REI often when a REI is nearby. I like to look at the remaining "real stuff" and check it out.

In Portland, Oregon I get to go to Oregon Mountain Community and to Next Adventure. I really like those stores.

I do buy stuff.

However, I do a great deal of my "shopping" and purchases online direct or for "best price" or from cottage industry: backpackers making gear for backpackers.

I have been more than annoyed with REI in the last 10 years, or so. I think there has been some kind of "shift" in management decisions I do not like at all.

But there is still all those things mentioned in the other "posts" here I do appreciate.

I also like, when asked Are you a member of REI? I answer, about 50 years.

I also like, when asked at the cash register, I answer with my five-digit membership number because I have been a member of REI, since the upstairs Pike Street store, in Seattle, Washington.

Mrs Baggins
01-07-2010, 09:01
I'm not sure where the idea that REI doesn't sell anything for "long distance hikers" comes from. If that means super UL gear sold only by the gear manufacturers, then you're right. But we bought our Hubba tents, titanium alloy poles, mats (BA and NeoAir), UL packs (REI Flash), stoves (whisperlight and pocket rocket), boots, wool socks and sock liners, rain jackets and rain pants, (all very light and easily packed down), Sea to Summit waterproof sacks for food, clothing, and other items, waterproof eVent stuff sacks for bags, down sleeping bags (REI subkilo and Halo), lots of lightweight clothing and more ALL at REI. None of that is for "long distance hikers"? It doesn't count if it's not homemade or "cottage" made? Please.

Two Speed
01-07-2010, 09:07
I see lots of opportunities to reduce weight in that gear list.

Carry what you want to, but about the only thing getting a "buy" signal on Planet Two Speed is the packs and possibly the NeoAir.

Mrs Baggins
01-07-2010, 09:20
I see lots of opportunities to reduce weight in that gear list.

Carry what you want to, but about the only thing getting a "buy" signal on Planet Two Speed is the packs and possibly the NeoAir.

At our age, we're more interested in comfort in the evenings than weight during the day. We'll each carry .750 ml of wine in a nalgene just for the joy of some nice wine with dinner. We don't care what it weighs.

Two Speed
01-07-2010, 09:27
The wine might work.

ki0eh
01-07-2010, 09:43
"yuppie" carriages and "toys" for "yuppie" offspring

That's actually some of the best things about REI - local outfitters just don't have the ability to stock kid size stuff. We wore the tread off, well over a thousand miles on a Chariot Carrier so the cost per mile was far less than on a Chinese made umbrella stroller from Wal-Mart. If that stuff helps keet the light on, so be it! (As long as that's not the ONLY stuff in there...)

Mrs Baggins
01-07-2010, 11:08
The wine might work.

We each have small pewter flasks for that warming wee dram when needed, as well. :D

Two Speed
01-07-2010, 11:11
Being more of a dirt bagger I'd probably go the "wine in a box" route that Mags is always advocating.

Now those titanium poles? ***, they can't be over 2' long and that much aluminum can't be that heavy.

Hooch
01-07-2010, 11:23
Now those titanium poles? ***, they can't be over 2' long and that much aluminum can't be that heavy.Ouch. :rolleyes:

double d
01-07-2010, 11:48
I'm not sure where the idea that REI doesn't sell anything for "long distance hikers" comes from. If that means super UL gear sold only by the gear manufacturers, then you're right. But we bought our Hubba tents, titanium alloy poles, mats (BA and NeoAir), UL packs (REI Flash), stoves (whisperlight and pocket rocket), boots, wool socks and sock liners, rain jackets and rain pants, (all very light and easily packed down), Sea to Summit waterproof sacks for food, clothing, and other items, waterproof eVent stuff sacks for bags, down sleeping bags (REI subkilo and Halo), lots of lightweight clothing and more ALL at REI. None of that is for "long distance hikers"? It doesn't count if it's not homemade or "cottage" made? Please.

Good point, REI is an outstanding store not only for long distance backpackers, but for section hikers as well! Free market capitalism and one's personal values determines the location that hikers spend their dollars in, from ebay to wal mart to rei. My only complaint about outdoor gear is that more and more of it is made in China and that (to me at least) sucks.

Bearpaw
01-07-2010, 11:53
My only complaint about outdoor gear is that more and more of it is made in China and that (to me at least) sucks.

The best cottage gear (ULA, Six Moon Designs, Shire's Tarptent, Warbonnet Hammocks, and a host of others that mostly do online business) are still made here in the USA. I think pretty much the only gear we regularly carry at REI that is still made in the US is the heavier Chaco sandals. Not a slight on REI, just the nature of the market nowadays.

Nasty Dog Virus
01-07-2010, 11:59
3 reasons I like REI...

1. 10% back on purchases
2. No ???'s asked return policy
3. Monthly yardsale

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 12:03
. . . I think pretty much the only gear we regularly carry at REI that is still made in the US is the heavier Chaco sandals. Not a slight on REI, just the nature of the market nowadays.

Unless I'm completely confused (and that's often the case), MSR products are made in Seattle, WA.

Toolshed
01-07-2010, 12:20
I like to think of most LDHers on here as the 1%ers of the "outdoor" or "outdoor-minded" consumer, with the cottage industries as the major suppliers to the 1%ers as well, with the 1%ers making up almost 100% of the cottage industry customer base.

The stuff that REI carries relates to 100% of the "outdoor or "outdoor-minded population" - There is a lot of crap in those stores that none of us need nor want, but those who are not like-minded see these items as something to make them feel more outdoor-spirited, more rugged, or more in tune with nature. Not such a bad thing, but I can see where the LDHers cringe when they see some of the gear in these stores, especially when you think that at one time REI was a cottage industry Co-Op for Mountaineers, same as EMS. success isn't necessarily a bad thing, but with success comes size and in order to increasing grow/profit off a larger base, the company has to become more generalized in it's marketing and try to appeal to a wider array of the public.

Bearpaw
01-07-2010, 12:25
Unless I'm completely confused (and that's often the case), MSR products are made in Seattle, WA.

Some of Cascade Designs stuff is still made in Seattle, but the the Pocket Rocket for instance, is made in Korea.

Other product line like Platypus are made in Ireland as well as the US.

However, they can still claim 70% of their gear is made in Seattle (http://www.outdoorindustry.org/media.outdoor.php?news_id=5533), pretty impressive in this day and age for a mass market gear company.

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 12:30
Some of Cascade Designs stuff is still made in Seattle, but the the Pocket Rocket for instance, is made in Korea.

Other product line like Platypus are made in Ireland as well as the US.

However, they can still claim 70% of their gear is made in Seattle (http://www.outdoorindustry.org/media.outdoor.php?news_id=5533), pretty impressive in this day and age for a mass market gear company.

Yeah, it's pretty cool that they seem to want to maintain a committment to Seattle. Business wise, it's also true that many people like to see "Made in the USA."

The one thing I'm never sure of is what amount of the actual manufacturing has to be done in the US in order to be able to say a product is made there. Are the parts nmanufactured overseas, and final assembly is in Seattle? Or is it "Made in Seattle" from beginning to end? I'm not sure.

Cuffs
01-07-2010, 21:34
I'm an REI member. I did pay the $15, don't regret it but I don't use them much any more.

I'm also the manage of the above named Alabama Outdoors. We don't charge you for a membership, all purchases earn 5% back, that you can spend any time you want, no need to wait on that dividend. Three sales annually you earn 10% back on. Dollars never expire. The caveat is that you can't cash it out...

All of our staff may not be hikers or climbers but they are all trained on outfitting everyone from heavy weight scouts to LD light weighters, climbers and boulderers.

Many sales people are on commission. Please keep this in mind when you take up gobs of their time only to go buy your gear elsewhere, yea, we hate that.

The cottage industry gear is making it's way into the small shops off the AT. It takes getting employees who know the gear to get the buyers informed and educated. I've brought in Ethowah, Enertia and tyvek by the foot in the last year. Our buyer is a climber, he just didn't know about this stuff. Sadly the small guys can't attend the OR conventions to get their names out there, they've got to do the leg work themselves to get their gear known.

On another note, Hennessy is NOT cottage industry, they are now outsourced to China...

white_russian
01-07-2010, 22:46
On another note, Hennessy is NOT cottage industry, they are now outsourced to China...
Whatever makes you sleep good at night.

When you can hand your money to Tom Hennessey and he hands you a hammock at Trail Days it is cottage enough for me.

Bearpaw
01-07-2010, 22:56
Whatever makes you sleep good at night.

When you can hand your money to Tom Hennessey and he hands you a hammock at Trail Days it is cottage enough for me.

Tom Hennessy has done more to try to stifle any competition from cottage hammock makers with threats and law suits than any one I have ever heard of. He is VERY anti-cottage industry.

If you doubt it, this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1161&highlight=patent) shows many instances of his practices.

Hooch
01-07-2010, 23:02
Tom Hennessy is pretty much a jerk of the highest order. Too bad, because with his resources, he could really do a lot to promote and further the hammock community.

Dogwood
01-08-2010, 00:36
Listen to Mrs Baggins in post #68. She's tough! and has a valid pt!

grizzlyadam
01-08-2010, 00:45

Listen to Mrs Baggins in post #68. She's tough! and has a valid pt!

Mrs Baggins does indeed have a valid point. And, on that point I would go so far as to say I'll out hike anyone here using only gear purchased at REI.

oh snap! :eek:

Mags
01-08-2010, 01:13
Being more of a dirt bagger I'd probably go the "wine in a box" route that Mags is always advocating.

I'm civilized and chill my white wine in convenient snowbanks located at camp.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17355&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=e918a8acd06ab3448fddeeae31087237

Jester2000
01-08-2010, 01:14
Those single bottle sized wine boxes are the greatest thing to happen to hiking since foil-bagged tuna.

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 01:19
I'm civilized and chill my white wine in convenient snowbanks located at camp.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17355&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=e918a8acd06ab3448fddeeae31087237

MAN!!

You just flung a MAJOR craving on me!

Mmmmmmm......

Hooch
01-08-2010, 01:26
MAN!!

You just flung a MAJOR craving on me!

Mmmmmmm......
Haven't you had enough? Just sayin'. :rolleyes::D

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 01:29
Haven't you had enough? Just sayin'. :rolleyes::D

There's always a Friday night! ;):D:banana

Hooch
01-08-2010, 01:32
There's always a Friday night! ;):D:bananaTrue. And next Firday. :D

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 01:37
True. And next Firday. :D

Mmmmm.... SoRuck!

Hooch
01-08-2010, 01:38
Mmmmmmm.......SoRuck........
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wgh3P0eqLmk/SYGEDnKRdJI/AAAAAAAAERM/Nvgmv1t9U9g/s400/drooling_homer-712749.gif.png

Bulldawg
01-08-2010, 01:46
Mmmmmmm.......SoRuck........
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wgh3P0eqLmk/SYGEDnKRdJI/AAAAAAAAERM/Nvgmv1t9U9g/s400/drooling_homer-712749.gif.png

DBT at the 40Watt in the Classic City!!

springerfever
01-08-2010, 08:00
Buy the membership.!!! YES to that question ends the sales pitch.

Over the last fifteen years I'm sure I have spent over $3000.00 at the three REI's here in the Atlanta area. Scratch/Dent sales are awesome and they are regularly runnung clearance sales to get the latest/greatest in their stores. Early on I attended a free AT thru-hike workshop that was very beneficial and probably saved me money 'cause it made me re-evaluate every piece of gear and its weight.

Far and away the BEST benefit of the membership is the ability to return stuff with hardly any questions asked. Yesterday, I returned stuff totaling
over $200.00 to the Buford store and the transaction was handled very courteously with no interrogation. The bulk of the return was a Cloudveil softshell that I had bought on sale for $144.00 TWO years ago. It languished in my closet and there was just something about the collar that I didn't care for. I never even wore it, but I had thrown away the tags and ,of course, did not have the receipt.

99% of stores out there would tell you to get lost. With the REI membership THEY keep your receipt on your account. After a liitle research, he found the sale and credited me for the full amount.

GREAT Customer Service, and as we all know, hiking gear comes with a learning curve, and an REI membership allows you a lot of flexibility with trying out gear.

Two Speed
01-08-2010, 09:09
I'm civilized and chill my white wine in convenient snowbanks located at camp . . . Mags, you suck.

Hooch
01-08-2010, 09:19
Mags, you suck.Worse than Primus. :eek::D

Manwich
01-08-2010, 09:31
Woot! 101'st post!

Mrs Baggins
01-08-2010, 09:53

Forgot to add - bought all of our titanium cookware there as well. :D

Mags
01-08-2010, 18:52
Mags, you suck.

You should see what I did today.. Something about skiing on a ridge that connects to the Continental Divide. Blue skies, little wind, low 20s (warmer than Boulder!) and fresh powder.

I really sucked today. ;)

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 20:14
You should see what I did today.. Something about skiing on a ridge that connects to the Continental Divide. Blue skies, little wind, low 20s (warmer than Boulder!) and fresh powder.

It was definitely warmer for you than here in Middle Tennessee. :eek:

Two Speed
01-09-2010, 08:54

I really sucked today. ;)Hmmm, major suckage as opposed to run-of-the-mill suckage? Soooo, were titanium trekking poles, inflatable air mattresses or any other REI products required required to achieve this new standard in suckage?*
It was definitely warmer for you than here in Middle Tennessee. :eek:Probably a good thing. His face might have frozen in the suckage pose. Not good.

* just trying to stay on topic

ki0eh
01-09-2010, 17:55
Well we were in Boulder last week and this weekend in Cortland, NY I found deeper powder to ski in - similar temps but no wind. The two-layer OR gloves I finally broke down to buying at REI in Boulder worked out well. (There's no REI in Cortland.)

Mags
01-09-2010, 18:10
Hmmm, major suckage as opposed to run-of-the-mill suckage? Soooo, were titanium trekking poles, inflatable air mattresses or any other REI products required required to achieve this new standard in suckage?

I drove by the Boulder REI today after I finished my trip. Does that count?
:banana

BradMT
01-09-2010, 20:59

I've been an REI member since 1975 (member# below 500K)... back then, they were one of only a handful of options. Nowadays, there are a LOT more options with the internet. Most of the stuff I buy is on-sale off the net, or ebay or our local backpackatorium.

I still shop REI, but only occasionally. If we had one locally, I'd likely shop there nearly exclusively with the lack of shipping cost and no sales tax in MT. The membership give you an average 10% discount day-in, day-out. If you have the availability of a local REI then I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise, no. There are better deals available on the net.

My .02

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2010, 21:35
:D

Well Mags it really sucks when someone sticks up for you.... Sucks big time...... :D

Medic!
01-11-2010, 18:59
I buy from REI when it's the cheapest. I buy at other stores or the web when they're the cheapest. It's simple commerce.

I got the membership, and as has been said several times, if you're buying more than a few things a year, it's worth it. I just talked to REI customer service the other day, and it looks like my dividend this year is going to be about $150. I don't care if an increasing percentage of what they sell isn't stuff that I want; I don't have to buy it if I don't want it, simple enough.

Doooglas
01-12-2010, 08:47
The only products I have ever had from them is stuff I have brought down to me, since my friend lives a few blocks away from one.
Other than that I always bought from the little guys, or direct from a small manufacturer.

I like personalized service. Price is secondary.