PDA

View Full Version : Quilt for thru hike

jbrecon2
01-05-2010, 05:15
Hey, I was wondering. Im not starting my thru hike until mid april. Do you think I could be reasonably comfortable with a three season quilt like the ones from jacksrbetter. I am looking at bags and i like the montbell ul ss #2, but its $325, and i would probally have to get something less for the hotter months adding to the cost. The problem is i will be shelter or tent sleeping, and was wondering if anyone has experince with quilts outside the realm of a hammock

Miner
01-05-2010, 15:15
I don't see why not. I carried a quilt on the PCT and finished my hike in snow the last several days and never was cold. As long as the quilt has enough down to keep your top warm and your sleeping pad is warm enought to keep your bottom warm, you'll be fine.

However, not everyone is happy with a quilt. Some people never get use to turning over and developing an automatic habbit to make sure the sides stay tucked in and thus get a cold draft that wakes them up.

take-a-knee
01-05-2010, 15:17
I'm a hammocker with three JRB quilts. If I plan to sleep on the ground, I take a sleeping bag (Feathered Friends Rock Wren or Winter Wren). The quilt on the ground thing doesn't work too well for me.

jesse
01-05-2010, 15:45
I have a 28* ray-way quilt. I much prefer a quilt to condensation generators, aka sleeping bags. I have slept in single digits, but have to use all the clothes I had with me. Next Winter i hope to have a homemade down quilt.

flow
01-06-2010, 23:45
I just got into quilts about a year ago and have visited the Jacks shop. Highly recommend their products.
I have the JRB stealth, it is infact, keeping me warm now. It would be perfect for the warmer months of the hike. I have brought it down to the mid to upper 40s with no problem, but only on a short trip. A couple of days later, a front came through and the temps dropped. I encountered sleet and was glad I was getting off the trail. This was mid April in VA. I had a z rest and needed more insulation below me as well. You could consider the JRB No Sniveller, that would be plenty warm for that start time, I am considering one for early Spring and Summer in the Rockies. You don't know what to expect in April. If you currently have a warmer bag, consider the added security of using it for the first month or so, ship the Stealth quilt up trail some where.