PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the Appalachian

horicon
01-05-2010, 10:37
When would be a good time to start hiking the AT in Penn/Maryland? February, Marcy or April

warraghiyagey
01-05-2010, 10:40
I'd try late Marcy. . . .

Nean
01-05-2010, 10:44
I like Marcy and April.:) plus I always had a thing for Mrs. Cleaver...

Blissful
01-05-2010, 11:20
May's good = but we had 90 degrees once in late May. Might go for late April, early May.

Spirit Walker
01-05-2010, 12:20
Anytime is good. It's cold right now, but hikeable.

horicon
01-05-2010, 12:31
I mean March. Hit the wrong key. How much snow cover?

warraghiyagey
01-05-2010, 14:27
How much snow cover?
That really depends on the year. . . you're from NY. . . you must know that much. . . ;)

Spirit Walker
01-05-2010, 17:07
In Maryland, only a couple of inches at the moment.

bullseye
01-05-2010, 17:15
Anytime is good. It's cold right now, but hikeable.

Like he said:D!

BAG "o" TRICKS
02-15-2010, 14:34
I mean March. Hit the wrong key. How much snow cover?

60+ inches and it just keeps on comin'. I'd say April Fools day to start a hike through PA, especially this year. If the trail isn't snow coverd it will surely be water logged. Although I must say that the rocks don't seem as bad hiking over them when they're buried in deep snow cover.., and snow covered they are now and probably will be for a while. Problem is with this amount of snow and the climate in the area you'll get a short day thaw and then temps drop again below freezing and the already deep snow gets a nice thick shin bustin ice cover and 'then' you're in for a new world of hurt.
I sort of like to see where I'm planting my feet.

oso loco
02-15-2010, 16:35
60+ inches and it just keeps on comin'. I'd say April Fools day to start a hike through PA, especially this year. If the trail isn't snow coverd it will surely be water logged. Although I must say that the rocks don't seem as bad hiking over them when they're buried in deep snow cover.., and snow covered they are now and probably will be for a while. Problem is with this amount of snow and the climate in the area you'll get a short day thaw and then temps drop again below freezing and the already deep snow gets a nice thick shin bustin ice cover and 'then' you're in for a new world of hurt.
I sort of like to see where I'm planting my feet.

It's gonna be interesting starting in GA March 1.

Sent you a video to keep you occupied until it all melts (well - for 38 minutes, anyway) :)

weary
02-15-2010, 17:03
In Maryland, only a couple of inches at the moment.
In Maine, at least along the coast, we have no snow in the open, maybe three inches in shaded woodlands. I walked three miles Saturday checking for blowdowns and overgrown footpaths on land trust preserves. Temperatures were a balmy mid30s, wind was gentle. We had a nice walk, partly on trails, partly bushwhacking a shortcut back to the car.

The mountains still have quite a bit of snow. but depths aren't very deep for this time of year. If the current weather pattern holds, early southbounders will have an easy time this year. But don't count on it. March tends to be a heavy snow month in the western hills traversed by the Appalachian Trail.

Weary