PDA

View Full Version : 7 day hike in SW VA

hikingRN
01-05-2010, 11:42
Me and 3 others are planning our first week-long hike on the AT in May and we will be hiking from Mt Rodgers to Damascus. Wondering if there is anything along this portion of the trail or on side trails that is a must see. I have heard about the ponies in the Grayson Highland Park area. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2010, 13:07
it will be crowded with thru-hiker wannabes that tend to hog the shelters so bring tents or other shelter

Cabin Fever
01-05-2010, 15:05
That's a short distance for 7 days. You could probably start further north like Troutdale.

marigny
01-05-2010, 17:18
I am also planning a 7 day hike in Virginia. Where do you suggest I go? Start and finish. I usually am a day hiker and not familiar with all the necessary gear.

bigcranky
01-05-2010, 17:54
Start at the Mt Rogers Headquarters building on Va 16 near Marion, Va. Hike southbound to Damascus. It's about 65 miles, and a great week long section.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2010, 18:14
I am also planning a 7 day hike in Virginia. Where do you suggest I go? Start and finish. I usually am a day hiker and not familiar with all the necessary gear.

As the longest AT state, Virginia can be broken into several logical stretches of 1 or 2 weeks' hiking. Grayson Highlands & Mt. Rogers to Damascus is one of the best stretches in VA. You may also want to consider Shenandoah NP from Waynesboro north to Compton Gap, the last crossing of Skyline Drive. At 100 miles, the length is just right for 7 days and if it's too much, you have bailout options along Skyline Drive. Another stretch I like is the 87 miles between Groseclose - the southernmost crossing of I-81, Exit 54) and Pearisburg. You can get a shuttle from the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg - check the ALDHA Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/va09.pdf).

Regarding gear, I suggest searching the "Articles" forum for the basics. Backpacking is definitely a step up from day-hiking - about the only gear you probably already have are boots, water bottles, and rain gear. You probably already know you need basics like a tent or hammock, sleeping bag, stove, and layers of good i.e. non-cotton clothes. Don't forget to bring some sort of water treatment system. I don't think you need trekking poles for SNP but at some point if your knees ache as you hike steeper slopes, you'll want to add them as well. Unless you're hiking in the middle of summer, a hat is essential.

Take advantage of the forums here on WB but the best thing is to talk to experienced backpackers face-to-face. Good luck!

hikingRN
01-05-2010, 19:48
Thanks for all of the good advice!:)

Marta
01-05-2010, 20:24

I strongly suggest (and I cannot emphasize enough how strongly I suggest this) that you assemble your backpacking gear and take several overnight trips before you attempt a longer trip. Backpacking and dayhiking and quite different activities. In fact, backpacking bears more resemblence to car camping than it does to dayhiking.

It's car camping, but you have to carry everything on your back, which makes an astonishing difference to your ability to walk along. Legions of people discover this the hard way...or get out there and find out on their first night some awful truth about being cold/hungry/whatever, which cuts short their long-dreamed-of trip.

It's so simple to do a couple of test weekends first, with overnight stays at a local state park. You can hike a bit and test your gear in a very low-risk, low-stakes environment.