PDA

View Full Version : Food Saver

zenribbits
09-08-2004, 21:22
Does anyone know anything about food savers? We wanted to get one to vacuum seal our food for ease of shipping and carrying. Mainly we want to know why some are only $30 and others are $300? Does anyone recommend any one over the other? We are interested longevity of perishables with little to no refrigeration. We also want to be able to make custom size bags.

TakeABreak
09-09-2004, 00:01
Zen,

I bought a FOODSAVER II, in 1999, before my hike. I vacuum sealed everything with it, a friend accused me trying to vacuum seal the world. It worked real well for me and would recommend it. As all probably do, I did discover a couple of quirks though.

1) The strip that seals the bag after vacuuming out the air does get hot and will prematurely seal the bag sometimes. What I learned to do, is simply not to get too efficient in my sealing process. It is a teadies process. I am sure they all have similar issue.

2) the bags and stuff are great sealing stuff as i said above, but, like everything they are only so good. for sealing things like jerky, take a zip - lock, cut the locking part off the bag, put the jerky in the bag, insert into vacuum bag with opening up, then do the vacuum sealing. The same thing applies if you make your dried apple slices and stuff, the pointed part will pierce the bags, the zip-lock gives it a little bit more protection.

3) when sealing things like oatmeal, power bars, breakfast bars and stuff. take a pair of scissors cut the wrapper ever so slightly, place in vacuum bag and do your things, this gets the air out of the packaged wrap and help to keep it fresh longer.

to get back to your question, price I am not sure why some are cheaper, I know I paid about $125.00 in 1999 (@ SamsClub), and the same thing or the newer mor eimporved model is about the same price. I have used mine several times since my hike and have loaned to others to use, and it still works fine.

If I can help with any technique questions feel free to email me directly.

Rain Man
09-09-2004, 09:09
... The strip that seals the bag after vacuuming out the air does get hot and will prematurely seal the bag sometimes. What I learned to do, is simply not to get too efficient in my sealing process....

Right you are. The instructions that came with my FoodSaver (I also got it at Sam's, I believe) say to allow it to cool in between uses.

I run my finger across the sealing heat strip to make sure it is cool before doing the next bag.

Another problem and hint is that oily or greasy stuff will be sucked up into the seal area and prevent a good seal. Solution is not to seal such stuff ... OR put in a paper towel to soak up the oil/grease. Alternative is to freeze the food first.

Rain Man

tarbubble
09-09-2004, 13:27
when i sealed up greasy things, i opted to just seal the bag instead of vacuum-sealing it. i was using my SIL's machine, which of course i gave back to her, so i don't remember if the machine had that function or if i just figured out how to get around the vacuuming. but i sealed up tiny packets of clarified butter, olive oil, and preserved bacon that way and never had any trouble with it getting sucked out into the vacuum.

zenribbits
09-09-2004, 21:55
:banana Thanks for the info on the food saver. The tips will be very useful. I will contact you, Take, if I have any other questions.