PDA

View Full Version : 10-day Hike: Pen Mar to Front Royal/.Shenandoah - Is that realistic?

AeroGuyDC
01-05-2010, 15:15
As you can see from my avatar, i'm "dreaming of a thru hike" but unfortunately for now section hikes will have to do.

As such, I am in the early stages of planning a hike from the Pen Mar Park area (maybe a bit further north) down to Front Royal, VA. From the best that I can tell, this is approximately 100 miles. I have tentatively decided to do this over a 10 day period, from April 23-May 2.

1) Is 10 days realistic? Averaging 10 miles per day seems reasonable to me, but is 10 miles too easy for a single day in this stretch of the AT?

2) If 10 miles per day is too easy, I may continue south to continue on to hike the entire north-to-south span of the Shenandoah National Park.

Any advice or insight on either of these scenarios would be awesome.

juma
01-05-2010, 15:39
its realistic to a bit conservative.

burger
01-05-2010, 15:44
On a section hike (starting north from Waynesboro, VA), it took me a week to get from Front Royal to Pen-Mar. I think 10 days is plenty of time for that section. Aside from the Roller Coaster and the climb out of Harper's Ferry, it's an easy hike.

Toolshed
01-05-2010, 16:18
10 days will give you a day to spend at Harpers Ferry and perhaps a half-day to spend at one of the many Maryland parks you cross.
In addition, it allows you the opportunity to split the Roller Coaster and stay at Bears Den for a night.
But I agree, it is not terrible agressive, unless, depending on your shape & conditioning you feel 10/day is challenging, then that would be your goal.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2010, 18:31
It's pretty easy to cover that distance in 10 days and I'm usually conservative in making such recommendations. I think your plan is a good one - continue on through at least part of Shenandoah NP after you reach Rt. 522.

AeroGuyDC
01-05-2010, 21:31
Thanks to all for the replies. It seems that my planned hike will be a pretty good section.

Stay tuned for more threads on this forum as I get deeper into the planning effort!

sasquatch2014
01-05-2010, 23:24
I second the idea of staying at the Bears Den it is such a cool spot and you have the time to do it and enjoy it. I did most of this same area 2 springs ago and loved it even in the rain I did it in Mid April and the Red Bud trees and morel mushrooms were some of the highlights of the trip.

fredmugs
01-06-2010, 10:14
It's impossible to give you advice without knowing what you are capable of. I did this section in 4.5 days but there's no way I'm going to advise you to do that.

I have stayed at the Free State, Harpers Ferry, and Bears Den hostels and they are all good for what you want in a hostel although Harpers Ferry doesn't have food for sale.

If you want to hike for 10 days and stop at Front Royal I would recommend starting at either Caledonia State park or the Ironmasters Hostel. If you're leaving a car I would leave it at the Northern VA 4-H center.

The rollercoaster is pathetic. 10 speed bumps over 13 miles.

sore ankle
01-06-2010, 15:38
I think your schedule is pretty conservative. Heading north in '08 I hiked from Harpers to PenMar in less than two full days. In the section you are describing, I remember only two somewhat challenging spots. The first will be over an area of large strewn rocks within 2 miles or so south of Pen Mar, just before you get to a tremendous overlook (don't miss it). The second is the climb out of Harpers, but this is not too bad. Be sure to stay at the Blackburn Trail Center. Also, you can split the Roller Coaster--which is not that tough--in half if you stay at Sam Moore Shelter or Bears Den Hostel. Best of luck.

Blissful
01-06-2010, 19:05
You could even spend an extra day or 2 in Harpers Ferry = great place to look around.

Saffirre8
01-21-2010, 14:43
2) If 10 miles per day is too easy, I may continue south to continue on to hike the entire north-to-south span of the Shenandoah National Park.

Awe. Wait for me to do this with you...
I sent you a message about this trip... lets work out some logistics and i can meet you and do some day hikes to help us prepare :o)

sharky
01-21-2010, 15:18
This is probably only a 7-8 day hike from my guestimation depending on how you split it up. This is a really cool section to do in late winter to early spring before the trees blossom and the views go away. I wouldn't mind joining you if you wanted more company.

singing wind
01-22-2010, 02:06
AeroGuyDC,

It's a nice section with a good number of places to lollygag and enjoy. 8-10 miles a day is quite reasonable - in either direction. Hope you have a nice hike.

sasquatch2014
01-22-2010, 09:14
That is more than enough time and will give you a chance to spend time in HF or even try some of the side trails or make a run out to one of the other Battlefields in the area.

MD HIKER 73
01-22-2010, 21:27
I have been thinking about a trip like this some time in early spring. When did you plan on doing this? If you want some extra company let me know.

mikec
01-22-2010, 21:37
I think that I sectioned PenMar to Front Royal in about 8 days so you should be fine. And if you are out of shape, 10 miles is a very reasonable goal.