PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Section

dev
01-05-2010, 15:57
howdy all.

i was wondering if someone could give me some tips on the Georgia Section of the AT. thinking about going in early to mid May.

i'm a fairly experienced camper, but have never hiked/camped over three days straight. i'd love to get some tips and advice from folks in an area in which i have little experience. one of the things i love most about camping is the little trade secrets that are exchanged. things so simple, but you never seem to think of.

one of my main concerns is water. i.e., how much to carry, where to get it, and any purification aides. also, i've heard people seem to overpack on food. what would be a good amount to carry?

please, take pitty on the noob.

thanks in advance.

Longbow
01-05-2010, 16:50
I just hiked 49 miles from Unicoi Gap to springer Mtn. Hogpen Gap to Woody Gap would give you a nice 3 day 17 mile hike. You will have plenty of Views on the mountain tops in this area. Water is Plentiful in this area. I typical carry 2 litters of water max. Any more is a waist and extra weight. You could easily get by with one litter. I use tablets for purification or nothing at all. don't waist your money on Nalgene bottles either, just get a couple of 1 litter Aquafina bottles. The large mouth makes them easy to refill and they are lighter weight.

for food here is what I took on my last 5 day hike. Hard salimi and bagels, Canned harring stakes, Instant grits, Trail mix (my own mix) Ramen noddles. Just add water dry soup. For the amount of food just plan your meals, and only bring one serving per meal, then have trail mix to snack on. i make my trail mix and bring one sandwich bag of it per day. Remember you're not in a life and death situation (dispite what my mother says). If you over pack you will be carring a bit more weight, if you under pack you may be a little hungry on the last day. Either way you will survive. I aim to run out of food on the last day. for that area and that time of year you should have a pretty light pack for only 3 days.

I like to cook as much as anyone but if you hiking it is best to stick to boiling water, or even better is no cooking at all. You can also freeze some hambugers and bring them. It will take a day or two to thaw. Bacon will also last 3 days with no refridigation. But you will need a campfire or real stove to cook them. A campfire is nice but don't expect to have one to cook on every night. They may be banned where you are or you may be too tired to build one.

schnikel
01-05-2010, 18:20
I hiked the GA section last March. It was one of the best hikes in my life! I filled a 2 liter camel pack and that was good for most days. I camped most nights and got water for camp/ morning coffee then.

At the time it was the longest I had been out so I also had questions/concerns but everyouE there will help you out and talk about gear and give you pointers. I brought a water filter then, but never again. It is Aqua Mira drops for me now! The food is really up to you. While I was out with my wife we ate like kings. I had dehydrated a whole bunch of food so it wasn't to heavy, but you may just want ramon.

What ever you do enjoy the hike!

Cookerhiker
01-05-2010, 18:28
Similar story - my hike of the Georgia section starting Leap Year Day in 2004 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=55441)was the longest backpack I had ever done and I consider it a smashing success despite less-than-stellar weather. The only problem with water that I recall was the 1/2 mile walk from the Woods Hole Shelter. Otherwise water was plentiful with many places to stealth-camp between shelters besides creeks.

If you don't want to carry all your food at once, you can resupply at Neel Gap, 31 miles from Springer.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 21:13
i was wondering if someone could give me some tips on the Georgia Section of the AT. thinking about going in early to mid May.

i'm a fairly experienced camper, but have never hiked/camped over three days straight. i'd love to get some tips and advice from folks in an area in which i have little experience. one of the things i love most about camping is the little trade secrets that are exchanged. things so simple, but you never seem to think of. ...

Sounds as if you're getting some good advice already. I was surprised at how "cold" the Georgia mountains were in July/August 03 when I did that section. It was my first multi-night backpacking outing and on the last day as I was hiking down Blood Mountain into Neels Gap in a thunderstorm I did NOT want it to be over.
The trip report I posted here on WhiteBlaze. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2264)

As far as up-to-the-minute trail condition hints, you can't go wrong by going to "the horse's mouth." That is, the Georgia AT Club. They were a great help to this noob back then and very gracious about answering such questions.

GATC (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/)

Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

schnikel
01-05-2010, 23:06
If you don't want to carry all your food at once, you can resupply at Neel Gap, 31 miles from Springer.

I also did this. Got to Neel Gap around noon and chilled out with my wife and friends at the Hostel for another new experience, also one not soon forgotten.