PDA

View Full Version : Making it to Trail Days

v5planet
01-05-2010, 17:19
Hi all,

Buddy and I are planning on leaving for our thruhike in April. He's coming back from the Peace Corps right before we take off, so depending on when his supervisors okay him to come back to the US we may not be heading out until as late as the 15th. He's really intent on making it to Trail Days in Damascus, but with a cursory glance at the mileage and taking into consideration that we will probably go through a short period low daily mileage due to hiking acclimation in the beginning, I was wondering how (un?)realistic it is to hope to make it there in just about a month's time should we not hit the trail until 15 Apr?

BrianLe
01-05-2010, 17:26
I would guess the (or at least "a") normal approach is to hitch off the trail, and then later hitch back to where you left ...
at least that's how folks get to similar events on the PCT.

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 17:34
I'm sure people have done it...but there's no reason to rush. Folks will be coming up in large vehicles from as far South as Franklin, NC. You could probably get to Erwin (again, large group leaving for Trail Days in large vehicles) by that time without really rushing yourself.

Bronk
01-06-2010, 06:39
Everybody starts bunching up around trail days...not unusual to see 30 people or more camped at a shelter or even a campsite. Many people that are thru-hiking hitch forward or back...some get to Damascus early and then get a shuttle ahead and hike back to Damascus for trail days, then hitch back to where they left off...lots of permutations on how to do it...pretty easy to get a ride.

World-Wide
01-06-2010, 08:13
Pardon me for interrupting this thread, but when is "Trail Days?" 2010 will be my first year attending and I don't know what day or if it's held on the same day each year. Hope this question doesn't offend. To some of you die-hards this might be like asking when is Christmas! :-) W-W

HikerRanky
01-06-2010, 08:40
Pardon me for interrupting this thread, but when is "Trail Days?" 2010 will be my first year attending and I don't know what day or if it's held on the same day each year. Hope this question doesn't offend. To some of you die-hards this might be like asking when is Christmas! :-) W-W

May 14 - 16th

World-Wide
01-06-2010, 08:43
Hi all,

Buddy and I are planning on leaving for our thruhike in April. He's coming back from the Peace Corps right before we take off, so depending on when his supervisors okay him to come back to the US we may not be heading out until as late as the 15th. He's really intent on making it to Trail Days in Damascus, but with a cursory glance at the mileage and taking into consideration that we will probably go through a short period low daily mileage due to hiking acclimation in the beginning, I was wondering how (un?)realistic it is to hope to make it there in just about a month's time should we not hit the trail until 15 Apr?

May 14 - 16th

Thanks HikerRanky!!! W-W

Rockhound
01-06-2010, 08:46
Curtis at Standing Bear said he will be going to trail days on the 13th and returning the 17th. Said he will be chartering a bus and will be willing to take 35 to 40 hikers at no cost.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 11:47
World wide...prepare to be dominated!!!!

Nean
01-06-2010, 12:14
Setting daily milage in order to get to Damascus on TD weekend would not be wise IMO.:-?
Take it one day at a time. Be flexable, have fun and don't add the stress of a schedule. As many have pointed out- it is easy to get to TD and back from just about anywhere on the trail. :)
Keep in mind that there are pretty good odds yall won't even make it to Damascus.
:eek:The old saying of its about the journey, not the destination- applies here.;)

jersey joe
01-06-2010, 13:19
Setting daily milage in order to get to Damascus on TD weekend would not be wise IMO.:-?
Take it one day at a time. Be flexable, have fun and don't add the stress of a schedule. As many have pointed out- it is easy to get to TD and back from just about anywhere on the trail. :)
Keep in mind that there are pretty good odds yall won't even make it to Damascus.
:eek:The old saying of its about the journey, not the destination- applies here.;)
Nean, I agree with most of what you say here but I think that setting daily milage goals can be a wise thing. It gives you a rough plan for where you want to be when, and nothing says you HAVE TO stick to it. If nothing else, after your trip it gives you something to laugh at because of how your reality compares to what you originally perceived in your plan.

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 14:12
Hi all,

There are plenty of people who are probably going to traildays, driving up from wherever you'll be. Maybe post on this site "need a ride to traildays from point X", I bet you'll get a couple responses.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 15:41
I wouldnt even post a thread. Trust me, as Traildays approaches, you will start to hear of rides to Damascus. Hitchin is another option.Dont worry, if you want to get somewhere on your thru, just let it happen. Thats the beauty of it!!!

If you are leaving April 15th, you will be close to Damascus! Like I said, just let it happen:D

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 15:42
Is it OK to bring a frisbee?? . . .

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 15:43

Always:D:D:D:D

Hyway
01-06-2010, 15:43

How else will you play the beer bottle on sticks game?

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 15:44
Strippers?? . . .

Hyway
01-06-2010, 16:02
That's not the game I usually play with strippers ... Does your frisbee game have a part where bills leave your wallet?

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 16:23
That's not the game I usually play with strippers ... Does your frisbee game have a part where bills leave your wallet?

Thats when the midgets get introduced

thecaptain
01-06-2010, 16:29
I know this is way too soon but I will be leaving Pearisburg May 13th about 8 am heading for tent city at traildays......get you free ticket now......and the 6th annual hiker feed at the "Captains" will be May 29th at mile marker 641

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 17:10
I know this is way too soon but I will be leaving Pearisburg May 13th about 8 am heading for tent city at traildays......get you free ticket now......and the 6th annual hiker feed at the "Captains" will be May 29th at mile marker 641

Awesome place!!!! Had a blast at your place in 08 Captain. You and your family are great hosts!!!

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 18:18
World wide...prepare to be dominated!!!!

Is this some sort of kickball/dodgeball reference, or is it sexual? Or both?

Rockhound
01-06-2010, 20:28
Thats when the midgets get introduced
When a midget hikes do they credit themselves with twice the mileage? It seems fair. They take twice as many steps.