PDA

View Full Version : Annoying stuff

Pages : [1] 2

pfann
01-05-2010, 18:29
Now that I learned all the cool stuff many of you got for Christmas from my other post...

What has been the most rude, annoying, grating, irritating, bothersome thing/hiker/behavior you have experienced on a hike. This should be good for some interesting stories during the winter doldrums.

Keep the stories rollin...:banana (the banana is my contribution to annoying!)

pfann

Pacific Tortuga
01-05-2010, 18:32
Shelter stuck gear talk.

pfann
01-05-2010, 18:34
Let me guess,

27 minutes on the various types of laces for boots?

Pacific Tortuga
01-05-2010, 18:35
Let me guess,

27 minutes on the various types of laces for boots?

and you forgot, how to tie them.

Spokes
01-05-2010, 18:37
The thread about what knife to carry on a thru-hike comes to mind.

Mags
01-05-2010, 18:39
The thread about what knife to carry on a thru-hike comes to mind.

And what water treatment to take...

prain4u
01-05-2010, 18:46
Isle Royale National Park. August 2009. I met a guy bragging forever about his expensive lightweight equipment--including his super high tech (lightweight) GPS. He laughed at me for still using "a silly old fashioned map". He also bragged about his great hiking skills--including his alleged hikes on three different continents. His endless gear talk and "over-the-top" bragging was super annoying. A couple days later, I found him out on the trail wandering--clearly lost. He had spent the night lost in the woods. His high tech GPS had been dropped and had broken. I showed him my "silly old-fashioned map" to help him get oriented again. He then had the audacity to ask for--and practically demanded -that I give him MY map! This guy was a piece of work!

Tractor
01-05-2010, 18:48
"I don't carry maps." "What do you have there?" "Can I see that?" No "Please" included.

Bearpaw
01-05-2010, 18:53
Nobody bothers when I'm on the trail. Other than my wife, I haven't camped near another hiker in a the last year and a half of hiking. Before that, it was another couple of years without camping near others. Even on the AT, it's not that hard to get a little solitude.

Montana AT05
01-05-2010, 19:02
It's a tie for me:

1. Purists.

They are the "Holy Rollers of Long Trails" Can I get a HALLELUJA?! :banana
They quiz everyone in camp to see if you pass the pure test.

"Did you see the blueberry bush at mile marker 417.6? No? IMPURE HIKER!!!!"

2. Fresh Out of College Anti-Capitalists Programmed Social Dependents

You know the kind, the "Corporation are evil" guys who never know why they believe that and, well, frankly, couldn't define "corporation". They are usually sporting something from Patagonia on their bodies with no sense of irony. Given enough time on trail with the same one, he'll end up bumming money off you...."bro".

3. Almost forgot....The Guy Who hates Purists and fresh out of college wanna-be-hippies (aka wippies).

That would be me. I'll rant all night about it. Then I'll show you my newest light weight gear despite the look on your face. :o

sbhikes
01-05-2010, 19:09
I was annoyed by people texting on their iPhones. I try to get away from that sort of thing on a long hike, ya know? I don't mind if you have a phone and use it once in a while, but the whole texting thing bugs me.

At first I enjoyed asking people about their gear and answering questions about mine. After a while I didn't care one bit about gear and was annoyed by people who were just stepping out on the trail and wanted to talk gear. There are more important things to talk about after 1000 miles -- like food!

Mags
01-05-2010, 19:17
I met a guy bragging forever about his expensive lightweight equipment--including his super high tech (lightweight) GPS

Reminds me of a story I posted before. Not annoying..but amusing:

In 2004, I was on my Colorado Trail hike just north (trail wise) from where the CT and the CDT split for the last time. The CT heads south and west towards Durango, the CDT heads south towards Wolf Creek Pass.

Anyway, I am hiking up the trail. I see a gentleman with thick, heavy leather boots. A HUGE pack (Dana Designs, maybe?). Had the Nalgenes and every other item it seems from the outfitter.

Here I am: Nike sneakers a bit torn, my lightweight all mesh pack. Banged up ski poles. Dirty polyester dress shirt. Almost three weeks beard growth.

I said "Hello'.

He said "Interesting gear you have". (While eyeing me up and down with a *** look on his face)

Me: "Yep. Works for me"

He said: "Well, always more to learn as you backpack more. When you backpack more, perhaps you will have different gear"

Me: "You are right. Always more to learn"
He: "Enjoy your hike. Be careful".

Me: "You too! It is a great day!"

:)

The guy probably thought I was a total moron (Well...he may be right, but not in the context of backpacking. :D). Probably thought I'd died somewhere in the San Juan mountains!

2010 postscript: Some of gear IS different from 2004...but probably not in the way the dude imagined. Maybe he's a lurker on this website? :D

wudhipy
01-05-2010, 19:37
A guy blew past me at Mt Rogers, North of Damascus, I could hear the music from the i pod blaring away. Ultra light boom box?

Blissful
01-05-2010, 19:40
Smoking at Eliza brook shelter and then the hiker hacking all night. I set up my tent at midnight after the rain.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2010, 19:53
I like wippies, but there are the crappy tree huggers that are so self rightous, lecture people about how much establishment sucks, I call them Trippies. They mooch off of everyone, "Hey you got a smoke?" and never get tobacco in town. "Let me hit that" recreational activity reference. Oh and the one that I got hit with, " Dude buy me a beer and Ill get you back next town stop" Freakin Trippies!!!!

People that insist on talking about politics on the trail, even when you ask nicely, repeatedly for them to chill out. Then when your father shows up to hang out with you, insists on talking about politics!!

The "hiker midnighter"- this guy has been discussed in the hiker midnight thread. The one that goes to bed before dark and wants everyone else to shut up! Most of the time it applies at shelters or crowded campsites or hostels.

FREAKIN SLACKPACKERS!!!!!! You see them going sobo and they tell you "oh you got it easy comin up" LIE LIE LIE!!!!!!!!! Dont ever listen to ANYONE when they tell you what you got comin up. Its so much different for each hiker. I just say "whatever"

The a**holes that stiff hostels and jump out before anyone is awake so no one will notice they didnt pay.
Most of the hikers that stay at The Place in Damascus, cuz they cant freakin read!!!!!!

It's a tie for me:

1. Purists.

They are the "Holy Rollers of Long Trails" Can I get a HALLELUJA?! :banana
They quiz everyone in camp to see if you pass the pure test.

"Did you see the blueberry bush at mile marker 417.6? No? IMPURE HIKER!!!!"

2. Fresh Out of College Anti-Capitalists Programmed Social Dependents

You know the kind, the "Corporation are evil" guys who never know why they believe that and, well, frankly, couldn't define "corporation". They are usually sporting something from Patagonia on their bodies with no sense of irony. Given enough time on trail with the same one, he'll end up bumming money off you...."bro".

3. Almost forgot....The Guy Who hates Purists and fresh out of college wanna-be-hippies (aka wippies).

That would be me. I'll rant all night about it. Then I'll show you my newest light weight gear despite the look on your face. :o

veteran
01-05-2010, 22:52
People that sing and play a Guitar, that think they can sing and play a Guitar at a shelter.

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 23:11
People that sing and play a Guitar, that think they can sing and play a Guitar at a shelter.

people that hate on shelter guitar playing that snore, talk loud about politics/gear/the weather/religon/etc, and get up at the ass crack of dawn after asking for others to be quiet as soon as it's dark.

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 23:11
and people that try to ax murder me for something i didn't even do. screw you, redeyes.

Spirit Walker
01-05-2010, 23:23
Folks that have no clue about LNT: the one who leaves trash in the firepit because "somebody will burn it" (but it's not burnable), the one who burns his tennis shoes in the fire (Yech!), the one who tosses his leftover food in the spring when he washes his dishes, the one who washes her hair, with shampoo, in the water source - or worse, her dirty feet, the one who carves their name on the shelter walls and brings their kids back years later to add theirs to the mess, the folks who take a dump in the middle of a campsite, leaving pile and tp behind for all to see . . . It goes beyond annoying.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2010, 23:26

THEN DONT STAY AT A SHELTER, GOOD GOD:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feral Bill
01-05-2010, 23:39
Can't think of a single thing.:sun

warraghiyagey
01-05-2010, 23:43
People that get mad at me for peeing off the edge of the shelter. . .

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2010, 23:45
Yeah man....what do you think the piss line in front is for? I mean really? How else am I supposed to check my blood pressure on the trail?

Graywolf
01-05-2010, 23:49
The one who tells everyone else they have the wrong gear and his is the only way to go....

fredmugs
01-06-2010, 09:47
A guy blew past me at Mt Rogers, North of Damascus, I could hear the music from the i pod blaring away. Ultra light boom box?

Was it Memorial Day weekend? It could have been me but I normally only blast it during the climbs.

fredmugs
01-06-2010, 09:56
What annoys me is thru hikers who give worthless advice to newby section hikers. Here's some examples:

1. Stop every hour and force yourself to drink a liter of water. Yes - somebody on here actually told someone to "force" themselves to drink.

2. Your food doesn't weigh enough. ***?

3. You have to eat 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day packed with fat and carbs.

You should never force yourself to do anything. Section hikers do not achieve that always hungry state that through hikers get into.

Advice should be along the lines of here's what I do as opposed to here's what you need to do.

superman
01-06-2010, 09:59
Surge hikers annoy me because they expect me to be pleasant multiple times in one day. :eek:

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 10:00
Along those lines, unsolicited 'advice' of any kind is about the worst of annoyance from other hikers....

superman
01-06-2010, 10:24
Along those lines, unsolicited 'advice' of any kind is about the worst of annoyance from other hikers....

I heard that there is a lot of soliciting that goes on in the shelters.:rolleyes:

fredmugs
01-06-2010, 10:26
I heard that there is a lot of soliciting that goes on in the shelters.:rolleyes:

Ewww. Another reason to not stay in shelters.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 10:26
No, that's just Lone Wolf asking people to move over so he can have a spot. . . .

superman
01-06-2010, 11:25
No, that's just Lone Wolf asking people to move over so he can have a spot. . . .

LMAO, I'm going to tell him what you said.:D

weary
01-06-2010, 11:29
Then of course there are those people who can't stand ordinary human conversation. They dislike hearing comments on the affairs of government, discussions about the gear needed to carry stuff on human backs, excitement over plants and animals folks have seen, talk of the steepness of the hills, even a bit of singing and music.

Some are so extreme they even take pride in never communicating with other hikers, seeking out out of the way campsites where no one else is likely to intrude, weird considering they are on a government trail that runs through the most populous states in the east. I think of it as the Bill Bryson syndrome.

Weary

Cookerhiker
01-06-2010, 11:37
I'm a section hiker and as I was only 3 days from finishing in September '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117260), I met another long-distance section hiker at White House Landing who was about to finish the AT for the 3rd time. He was a know-it-all who lectured me smugly and stridently about having too-heavy a pack, telling me I should get "the old-time religion" of lightening my load. Apart from his lopsided logic, ultra-light being a new phenomenon, not "old-time," the guy was egotistical and obnoxious.

I won't repeat his name here but it's in my journal and I've subsequently found out that the guy is an ALDHA member. And it wasn't just me - one of the young thruhikers I had befriended was also put off by the guy's attitude and said so in his own TJ.

Too bad because I admired the guy for his fitness level - in his early 60s, he was as slim and nimble as all the young thruhikers. But he needed a lesson in humility which we all do now and then.

Deadeye
01-06-2010, 11:37
and people that try to ax murder me for something i didn't even do. screw you, redeyes.

OH YEAH?!? Oh, you said REDeyes... sorry.

Anyway, I have a few minor annoyances:

"It's OK, my dog's friendly"
Yes, I can tell by the smile and the 'happy' growl.

"Slow down and enjoy yourself"
What in the world makes you think I'm NOT enjoying myself?

Cookerhiker
01-06-2010, 11:44
Folks that have no clue about LNT: the one who leaves trash in the firepit because "somebody will burn it" (but it's not burnable), the one who burns his tennis shoes in the fire (Yech!), the one who tosses his leftover food in the spring when he washes his dishes, the one who washes her hair, with shampoo, in the water source - or worse, her dirty feet, the one who carves their name on the shelter walls and brings their kids back years later to add theirs to the mess, the folks who take a dump in the middle of a campsite, leaving pile and tp behind for all to see . . . It goes beyond annoying.

You're not making this up - you've seen all this?:eek:

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 12:41

Dont you solicit yourself to other hikers?:p

Marta
01-06-2010, 12:58
Reminds me of a story I posted before. Not annoying..but amusing:

In 2004, I was on my Colorado Trail hike just north (trail wise) from where the CT and the CDT split for the last time. The CT heads south and west towards Durango, the CDT heads south towards Wolf Creek Pass.

Anyway, I am hiking up the trail. I see a gentleman with thick, heavy leather boots. A HUGE pack (Dana Designs, maybe?). Had the Nalgenes and every other item it seems from the outfitter.

Here I am: Nike sneakers a bit torn, my lightweight all mesh pack. Banged up ski poles. Dirty polyester dress shirt. Almost three weeks beard growth.

I said "Hello'.

He said "Interesting gear you have". (While eyeing me up and down with a *** look on his face)

Me: "Yep. Works for me"

He said: "Well, always more to learn as you backpack more. When you backpack more, perhaps you will have different gear"

Me: "You are right. Always more to learn"
He: "Enjoy your hike. Be careful".

Me: "You too! It is a great day!"

:)

The guy probably thought I was a total moron (Well...he may be right, but not in the context of backpacking. :D). Probably thought I'd died somewhere in the San Juan mountains!

2010 postscript: Some of gear IS different from 2004...but probably not in the way the dude imagined. Maybe he's a lurker on this website? :D

This must have been the same guy who ran into Stumpknocker towards the beginning of his 5th/6th/7th (or some such) AT hike and lectured him about his gear. The lecturer concluded with a "When you've hiked as much as I have, you'll have gear like mine."

Amen. In addition, hacking wood off live trees and letting a dog which isn't under voice control run loose.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 13:46
Purists who complain about the "transgressions" of non-purists. As if hiking doing something the "right" way gives them moral high ground.

I see it the other way. If you don't smile...don't side trip to the awesome waterfall...don't flip up to a party and then walk back south...etc...you have transgressed on the spirit of your own adventure.

kanga
01-06-2010, 13:57
the people that expect me to be nice to idiots.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2010, 13:58
What has been the most rude, annoying, grating, irritating, bothersome thing/hiker/behavior you have experienced on a hike.

most hikers fit those adjectives. it's why i don't hang around most hikers

weary
01-06-2010, 13:59
I'm a section hiker and as I was only 3 days from finishing in September '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117260), I met another long-distance section hiker at White House Landing who was about to finish the AT for the 3rd time. He was a know-it-all who lectured me smugly and stridently about having too-heavy a pack, telling me I should get "the old-time religion" of lightening my load. Apart from his lopsided logic, ultra-light being a new phenomenon, not "old-time," the guy was egotistical and obnoxious.

I won't repeat his name here but it's in my journal and I've subsequently found out that the guy is an ALDHA member. And it wasn't just me - one of the young thruhikers I had befriended was also put off by the guy's attitude and said so in his own TJ.

Too bad because I admired the guy for his fitness level - in his early 60s, he was as slim and nimble as all the young thruhikers. But he needed a lesson in humility which we all do now and then.
Many thanks for the journal link. Your account of your final trail days before becoming a 2,000-miler stirred up many memories. I recommend it, even if, unlike me, you care less about who the ultra lite gearhead may have been.

Weary

Disney
01-06-2010, 14:01
and you forgot, how to tie them.

My first impulse was "you're making that up." Upon reflection, I'm not so sure. Do people actually do that?

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 14:03
The people who feel the need to sift through my gear and tell me what is "unnecessary". Well, I never said it was, and get your paws outa my pack, thanks.

(On weekend and week long hikes, I carry plenty of "unnecessary" things, because I can, and I like it. For my thru I've cut down my pack weight by a lot though.)

I can't stand when people pick up something of mine and say "you don't want to carry this". Well, actually I do. But I always had the last laugh. Like carrying my parachute hammock in addition to the two person tent I was sharing. Yeah- everyone knocked it until we'd get into camp each night, then people were lining up to "try" my hammock.

Disney
01-06-2010, 14:04
Then of course there are those people who can't stand ordinary human conversation. They dislike hearing comments on the affairs of government, discussions about the gear needed to carry stuff on human backs, excitement over plants and animals folks have seen, talk of the steepness of the hills, even a bit of singing and music.

Some are so extreme they even take pride in never communicating with other hikers, seeking out out of the way campsites where no one else is likely to intrude, weird considering they are on a government trail that runs through the most populous states in the east. I think of it as the Bill Bryson syndrome.

Weary

That's pretty funny. But I'll see if I can turn it around. Are you really saying you're annoyed by people who hike in the mountains because they want privacy?

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 14:04
My first impulse was "you're making that up." Upon reflection, I'm not so sure. Do people actually do that?

Actually, yes. And actually, I once found this helpful. (I asked an outfitter) My heel was slipping out of my boot, and she showed me how to lace it more efficiently. If you can lace boots "efficiently", anyway...

John B
01-06-2010, 14:11
"Do you know about Jesus?"

'nuf said...

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 14:15
Surge hikers annoy me because they expect me to be pleasant multiple times in one day. :eek:

Sorry about that, Supe.

The lecturer concluded with a "When you've hiked as much as I have, you'll have gear like mine."

I kind of feel like the proper response to that would be, "No, when I strangle you and hide the body I'll have gear like yours." That would probably be wrong to say, though.

I mostly find people amusing rather than annoying.

Except for people who refuse to take responsibility for things they do in my dreams. I can't stand those people.

ShelterLeopard
01-06-2010, 14:16
Respond:
"I am Jesus."

Or, "Do you know The Flying Spaghetti Monster?"

flemdawg1
01-06-2010, 14:18

'nuf said...

Wow 47 posts, must be a new record. Usually its in the 1st 10 posts.

John B
01-06-2010, 14:25
Wow 47 posts, must be a new record. Usually its in the 1st 10 posts.

In the short time that I've been hiking, I've met a surprising number of people who believe they were Called To Hike The AT And To Give Their Testimony To All Whom They Meet So That They May Be Saved.

Maybe God is trying to tell me something; that or I'm just one unlucky SOB.

Bearpaw
01-06-2010, 14:36

Weary

So you're saying you're the annoying guy every one is talking about? ;)

Tinker
01-06-2010, 14:40
Hey, let it go! I forgave you long ago! There's no way you could've known I was sleeping right there on the ground.:rolleyes:

No, it really didn't happen. :D

Miner
01-06-2010, 14:48
The guy who after smoking some weiird stuff and then drinks all the beer in the Trail Angel's Cooler who is sharing their campsite with us after staying up later then everyone else, who then proceeds to start talking to himself through the night keeping us all awake until 2am.

TD55
01-06-2010, 14:58
Sorry about that Miner. I will try to quit talking to myself by mid-nite.

lazy river road
01-06-2010, 15:06
I had just bought my new pack and wanted to test it out on a trail by my house. I loaded it up with weights and blankets drove to trail and strapped it on. Started hikeing. After about an hr I ran into a couple of women who stopped me and "said nice pack, are you prepareing for a trip or something" I really wanted to say no I just feel like carrying 40pds on my back for no reason but replied nicely and said yes and went on my merry way, wasent really annoying or anything like that just kinda funny

weary
01-06-2010, 15:19
So you're saying you're the annoying guy every one is talking about? ;)
If you think I'm annoying, you should have met Irony. Irony frequently hangs around the trail and gets involved in many conversations, providing a valuable sidebar to trail life. Would you believe, I've even met Irony on the summit of Katahdin, contributing to the conversations among thru hikers.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 15:36
Hey, let it go! I forgave you long ago! There's no way you could've known I was sleeping right there on the ground.:rolleyes:

Well it was dark. . . . from now on I'll use my headlamp. . . :)

sore ankle
01-06-2010, 15:56
People who hike into a shelter late at night, after everyone is asleep, shine their headlamps/flashlights in others' faces, and make no effort to hold down their noise.

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 16:06
People who hike into a shelter late at night, after everyone is asleep, shine their headlamps/flashlights in others' faces, and make no effort to hold down their noise.

The funny thing about this is, sometimes the people who try to be the most considerate end up making the most noise. I once got to a shelter late, and turned off my headlamp so as not to disturb anyone. And because I couldn't see well, I bumped into someone's poles, starting a cascade of falling poles that woke up every single person in the shelter.

After that, I stopped staying in shelters if I was going to nighthike for a bit.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 16:22

Hey World Wide:D:D:D:D

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 16:40
Hey front end of the NOBO pack. . . . :mad:

Mrs Baggins
01-06-2010, 16:53
Hey World Wide:D:D:D:D

Oh man I remember him in the Smokies! Arrived late, talked non-stop about himself, crawled naked into his bag, kept talking half the night, disappeared early in the morning. Freak.

The guy that carried on very LOUD cell phone conversations at Low Gap and Blue Mountain shelters because "I have a business to take care of while I'm out here!" Then go the hell home and take care of it!!!!

Lone Wolf
01-06-2010, 16:57
if one is foolish enuf to think they're gonna get a good nites sleep in a shelter then you gotta just gotta put up with the other fools. there's 1000s of acres to camp

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 17:07
Oh man I remember him in the Smokies! Arrived late, talked non-stop about himself, crawled naked into his bag, kept talking half the night, disappeared early in the morning. Freak.

The guy that carried on very LOUD cell phone conversations at Low Gap and Blue Mountain shelters because "I have a business to take care of while I'm out here!" Then go the hell home and take care of it!!!!

You do realize he is on here.......hahahaahaha, this is gonna get good

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 17:08
if one is foolish enuf to think they're gonna get a good nites sleep in a shelter then you gotta just gotta put up with the other fools. there's 1000s of acres to camp

No doubt:D:D:D

Tinker
01-06-2010, 17:14

Well, ya got me! (and I don't even SLEEP in shelters :D).

sbhikes
01-06-2010, 17:56

What is a surge hiker?

Oh and the toilet paper and crap thing really bugs me. Women who leave dainty little piles of it really chap my hide. Please, gals, learn how to pee without TP or take your TP home. Seriously, people will walk around town carrying a plastic bag with their own dog's poop in it but they can't bother to pick up their own TP? How warped is that?

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 18:07
What is a surge hiker?

"Surge hiking" was a term that may or may not have been invented in 2000, but was definitely used a lot that year. It describes two things: hikers who walk very fast, but take many long breaks (this explains Superman's comment about being passed by the same people over and over again in the same day; I think I did that to him a number of times), and also hikers that pull many consecutive big mile days but take a number of zeroes in town.

The second description is sort of a macro version of the first, in that non-surge hikers would think that they'd never see a hiker again, only to see them in the next town, and leave town before them. And then get passed on the trail again in the next day or two.

Not to be confused with "Serge" hiking, which involves hiking while wearing an outfit made entirely of a twill fabric that has diagonal lines or ridges on both sides, made with a two-up, two-down weave.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 18:13
What is a surge hiker?

It's a hiker that keeps other hikers safe during a lightning strike. . .

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 18:13
It's a hiker that keeps other hikers safe during a lightning strike. . .

Oh man thats a good one!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 18:19
Oh man thats a good one!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy064.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy064.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php). . . .

flemdawg1
01-06-2010, 18:27
I thought they just drank lots of
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BFhS694ZTs3HZM:http://onceuponawin.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/win-pictures-surge-soda.jpg

General Fireball
01-06-2010, 18:39
I've certainly experienced some annoying stuff on the Trail . . . massive church/youth groups taking over the ENTIRE shelter and grounds . . . folks hiking in late at night and not keeping their noise down . . . including some who drove their jeep in and fired up Coleman lanterns and a chainsaw at MIDNIGHT . . . but as Lone Wolf has frequently pointed out, the common denominator is: shelters. The lesson: be prepared to pitch yourself some shelter in nice, quiet spot in the woods.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 19:04
Chaco...It's a different World Wide. I checked. Told him he'd be dominated at Trail Days, though.

In 1999 someone at my "New Jersey" High School had the brilliant idea that they should offer Coca Cola the opportunity to promote their new Mountain Dew killer "Surge". The marketing team backed a semi-trailer into the school courtyard (about 100 ft by 200ft) during the school-wide lunch hour and began blasting rock music and throwing 2 liter bottles of Surge into the crowd. What came next was the largest documented soda fight in the history of the New York Metropolitan area. Major news networks and Leno/Letterman reported. It was pandemonium. Pregnant women had babies. It's true, I saw it.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 19:21
I hear ya, but THE World Wide aka Mr Awesome is on here. I have gotten PMs from him here!

Chaco...It's a different World Wide. I checked. Told him he'd be dominated at Trail Days, though.

In 1999 someone at my "New Jersey" High School had the brilliant idea that they should offer Coca Cola the opportunity to promote their new Mountain Dew killer "Surge". The marketing team backed a semi-trailer into the school courtyard (about 100 ft by 200ft) during the school-wide lunch hour and began blasting rock music and throwing 2 liter bottles of Surge into the crowd. What came next was the largest documented soda fight in the history of the New York Metropolitan area. Major news networks and Leno/Letterman reported. It was pandemonium. Pregnant women had babies. It's true, I saw it.

Bearpaw
01-06-2010, 19:45
I hear ya, but THE World Wide aka Mr Awesome is on here. I have gotten PMS from him here!

How did he give you pre-menstrual syndrome, and why aren't we discussing this in the Women's Forum?

sbhikes
01-06-2010, 20:10
also hikers that pull many consecutive big mile days but take a number of zeroes in town.

Oh man, that was me. Sorry.

superman
01-06-2010, 20:27
"Surge hiking" was a term that may or may not have been invented in 2000, but was definitely used a lot that year. It describes two things: hikers who walk very fast, but take many long breaks (this explains Superman's comment about being passed by the same people over and over again in the same day; I think I did that to him a number of times), and also hikers that pull many consecutive big mile days but take a number of zeroes in town.

The second description is sort of a macro version of the first, in that non-surge hikers would think that they'd never see a hiker again, only to see them in the next town, and leave town before them. And then get passed on the trail again in the next day or two.

Not to be confused with "Serge" hiking, which involves hiking while wearing an outfit made entirely of a twill fabric that has diagonal lines or ridges on both sides, made with a two-up, two-down weave.

Yes, you were one of those people but you got an automatic "free pass" since you were busy earning your "trail legend" status....and Winter liked you.:D
I valued Winter's opinion so much that I actually sold a motorcycle to a guy from MA (you know how they are) with a personal check on Sunday. Winter liked him and the check turned out to be good. Unlike myself, Winter was never wrong about people.

birdog
01-06-2010, 20:28
Toy Poodles on a tether to a 350 lb woman in a pink addidas jogging suit..on the AT @ 6500 ft elevation telling me not to frighten the little beast. Ok...I was snoring a little.

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 20:35
Oh man, that was me. Sorry.

And me! I may not have invented surge hiking, but I sure did my best to perfect it. On the PCT in 2008, a couple named Tex & Karen said goodbye to me "forever" about five or six times in OR and WA. And then always saw me again at the next town/lake resort.

....and Winter liked you.:D

For those of you who never got the chance to meet Winter, Winter was a white German Shepherd that was honestly one of the best trail dogs EVER. Seriously. I loved that dog. And I'm not even a big fan of dogs on the trail.

Skidsteer
01-06-2010, 20:40
Toy Poodles on a tether to a 350 lb woman in a pink addidas jogging suit..on the AT @ 6500 ft elevation telling me not to frighten the little beast. Ok...I was snoring a little.

I didn't know Toy Poodles could be used as harness dogs. Impressive load to haul at that elevation.

Marta
01-06-2010, 21:52
I didn't know Toy Poodles could be used as harness dogs. Impressive load to haul at that elevation.

I think I'll get a brace of them. I won't have to work at all.

fredmugs
01-07-2010, 09:30

'nuf said...

Here's a foolproof way to deal with this that works both on and off the trail. Dave Barry once said that people who want you to listen to their religious views are never willing to listen to yours.

I had two Jehovas Witness types come to my house. I told them they were welcome to come into my home and if they were willing to listen to my religious views for 10 minutes I would allow them 10 mintues to tell me theirs.

They left.

superman
01-07-2010, 09:37
Here's a foolproof way to deal with this that works both on and off the trail. Dave Barry once said that people who want you to listen to their religious views are never willing to listen to yours.

I had two Jehovas Witness types come to my house. I told them they were welcome to come into my home and if they were willing to listen to my religious views for 10 minutes I would allow them 10 mintues to tell me theirs.

They left.

That's nice but the JWs around here need a more direct, overt message. I wish I could remember what I said to the last bunch because I think I must have been put on a "no contact" list.:D

weary
01-07-2010, 14:10
I think so. Isn't he the guy who believed that it was easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to get into heaven? I think he also urged us to give most of our belongings to the poor. Am I thinking of the same Jesus? :sun

Tinker
01-07-2010, 14:14
I think so - not popular messages then or now. :)

Rockhound
01-07-2010, 15:06
That's nice but the JWs around here need a more direct, overt message. I wish I could remember what I said to the last bunch because I think I must have been put on a "no contact" list.:D
A good trick is to have a chalk outline of a body on your doorstep with a few copies of the Watchtower scattered around it. Works very well

Gray Blazer
01-07-2010, 15:13

They left.

I offer them a Book of Mormon. Works every time.

prain4u
01-07-2010, 15:59

I sure do!

In addition to doing some other very important things, Jesus and his 12 closest buddies....

++ Dropped out of their regular jobs, left their families behind, and went on a three year "thru hike" of the Holy Land. If such behavior is good enough for Jesus--it is good enough for me!

++ He sent his followers out in groups of two--with specific instructions to not take along an extra shirt, an extra bag or any extra money (the ULTIMATE ultralight hikers?).

++There are actual written references to them walking the roads and trails barefoot or in sandals. (Absolutely no evidence that they ever used boots or trail runners)

++ There are written references of them spending some "Zero Days" in trail towns. In town, they often hung out with people who were considered the outcasts of society. (Hiker trash?)

++They went to several big feasts and dinners when visiting trail towns (All You Can Eat buffets?)

++No evidence that he ever brought a dog with him on the trail (either with--or without--a leash).

++Apparently hiked with a wooden staff--not Leki trekking poles.

++Left a pretty cool Trail Journal (see also: Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John)

++ Some evidence that they may have had "trail names". Simon became "Peter" (Peter is a word which means (SGT?) "Rock"). Thomas was called "The Twin". James and John were "The Sons of Thunder".

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 16:45
I sure do!

In addition to doing some other very important things, Jesus and his 12 closest buddies....

++ Dropped out of their regular jobs, left their families behind, and went on a three year "thru hike" of the Holy Land. If such behavior is good enough for Jesus--it is good enough for me!

++ He sent his followers out in groups of two--with specific instructions to not take along an extra shirt, an extra bag or any extra money (the ULTIMATE ultralight hikers?).

++There are actual written references to them walking the roads and trails barefoot or in sandals. (Absolutely no evidence that they ever used boots or trail runners)

++ There are written references of them spending some "Zero Days" in trail towns. In town, they often hung out with people who were considered the outcasts of society. (Hiker trash?)

++They went to several big feasts and dinners when visiting trail towns (All You Can Eat buffets?)

++No evidence that he ever brought a dog with him on the trail (either with--or without--a leash).

++Left a pretty cool Trail Journal (see also: Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John)

++ Some evidence that they may have had "trail names". Simon became "Peter" (Peter is a word which means (SGT?) "Rock"). Thomas was called "The Twin". James and John were "The Sons of Thunder".

When did this become a thread about religion?

Tinker
01-07-2010, 16:50
Hey, if you let it go it might actually go AWAY, if that's what you want. Otherwise, you're just encouraging the discussion of it.

It makes no difference to me either way.:rolleyes:

Ender
01-07-2010, 16:51

Post #47... from that point forward, that's really all this thread was going to be about. :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 16:55
Just asked a question:rolleyes:

Tinker
01-07-2010, 17:00
Apparantly the subject is relevant to some. However, when it changes from religion on the trail to religion at home it loses its relevancy.
Whatever - it's a free country (mostly :p).

Rockhound
01-07-2010, 17:02
I sure do!

most annoying thing on the trail? Those that think it is there duty to preach religion and everyone elses duty to listen attentively.

pfann
01-07-2010, 17:08
I sure do!

While I found this comparison quite entertaining at my computer, I could see how being stuck in a shelter in a downpour, this could be annoying if you didn't want to discuss the issue.

"By the way, not only am I a Jehovah, I sell life insurance too!" :eek:

-pfann

Tinker
01-07-2010, 17:11
While I found this comparison quite entertaining at my computer, I could see how being stuck in a shelter in a downpour, this could be annoying if you didn't want to discuss the issue.

"By the way, not only am I a Jehovah, I sell life insurance too!" :eek:

-pfann
"Stuck in a shelter in a downpour"......
Yet another reason to bring your own shelter.:datz

pfann
01-07-2010, 17:19
I think socializing with other hikers is similar to being married. I know there are times when I enjoy spending time with my wife and there are other times when she annoys me and I want to be by myself. I am sure she sees me the same way (only fewer annoying times:rolleyes:).

There are times when I enjoy being around other hikers and there are times when I want to be by myself. This is why I wouldn't rely exclusively on trail shelters.

Tinker
01-07-2010, 17:24
Smart man!

DrRichardCranium
01-07-2010, 17:24
I sure do!

++ Didn't treat or filter his water, just turned it into wine. (I wanna hike with this guy!):banana

++ Didn't have to wait for the boat to cross the Kennebec, just continued to hike straight across!:cool:

++ With a minimal amount of bread & fish, created his own large-scale Hiker Feed! (How's that for some Trail Magic?)

weary
01-07-2010, 18:32
I sure do! .....
++Apparently hiked with a wooden staff--not Leki trekking poles....
It's nice to be reminded that I'm following at least one of the ways of a great teacher, leader, and thinker.

prain4u
01-07-2010, 18:51
Please note: With my previous post, I was by no means trying to preach religion at anyone or convert anyone. (That is not my style). If it offended you, that was not my intent.

I was merely responding to someone else's Jesus reference. I then proceded to note some parallels between the fairly well-published literary story of a historical and/or literary character named "Jesus" and hiking on the AT. I could have just as easily done a similar comparrison with the character named Captain James T. Kirk from Star Trek--or even Santa Claus.

I am truly sorry if other people may have offended you in the past by trying to hammer you over the head with religion or by trying to convert you. I AM NOT THAT PERSON. (Frankly, I don't even like being around those persons!)

Final Note: I always find it rather interesting that some people automatically assume that someone else is trying to convert them or preach at them whenever there is a reference to religion, Jesus, or the Bible. Conversely, very few people automatically assume that someone is trying to convert them into being a football fan if a reference is made to Brett Favre, the Minnesota Vikings, or Monday Night Football!

kanga
01-07-2010, 19:01
Please note: With my previous post, I was by no means trying to preach religion at anyone or convert anyone. (That is not my style). If it offended you, that was not my intent.

I was merely responding to someone else's Jesus reference. I then proceded to note some parallels between the fairly well-published literary story of a historical and/or literary character named "Jesus" and hiking on the AT. I could have just as easily done a similar comparrison with the character named Captain James T. Kirk from Star Trek--or even Santa Claus.

I am truly sorry if other people may have offended you in the past by trying to hammer you over the head with religion or by trying to convert you. I AM NOT THAT PERSON. (Frankly, I don't even like being around those persons!)

Final Note: I always find it rather interesting that some people automatically assume that someone else is trying to convert them or preach at them whenever there is a reference to religion, Jesus, or the Bible. Conversely, very few people automatically assume that someone is trying to convert them into being a football fan if a reference is made to Brett Favre, the Minnesota Vikings, or Monday Night Football!
prain4u, i absolutely loved your other post! it was funny and wasn't pushing your religion on anybody. that being said, this one sucks. quit explaining yourself to a bunch of tards. that is what is wrong with this planet. buncha babies needing to be petted and cossetted (that's right i said cossetted) when they're fragile little esteems get stepped on. tough love, baby. tough love. that is what is needed. i'm gonna preach religion to them the next time we're out. in tongues. just because i can. and i ain't gonna apologize either.

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 19:07
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5A0-u85aAYg/0.jpg

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 19:09
http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/halleluia-praise-the-lord.jpg

weary
01-07-2010, 19:23
prain4u, i absolutely loved your other post! it was funny and wasn't pushing your religion on anybody. that being said, this one sucks. quit explaining yourself to a bunch of tards. that is what is wrong with this planet. buncha babies needing to be petted and cossetted (that's right i said cossetted) when they're fragile little esteems get stepped on. tough love, baby. tough love. that is what is needed. i'm gonna preach religion to them the next time we're out. in tongues. just because i can. and i ain't gonna apologize either.
Wow. Can you really talk in tongues? I've been struggling for years just to be understood in the American version of English. None of my editors -- come to think of it, not even on White Blaze -- thought I had suceeded very often, but an occasional reader seems to have understood.

Weary

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 19:32
Wow. Can you really talk in tongues? I've been struggling for years just to be understood in the American version of English. None of my editors -- come to think of it, not even on White Blaze -- thought I had suceeded very often, but an occasional reader seems to have understood.

Weary

hehe Kanga talks in tongues........someone else take this one...I just cant bring myself to do it:bse

jhick
01-07-2010, 19:43
seriously.... wrong place to address that one.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2010, 19:47
No Warrghy!! Don't even think about it! . . .

kanga
01-07-2010, 19:49
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/maiabelladona/hazbeenhealed.jpg

superman
01-07-2010, 19:50
It's nice to be reminded that I'm following at least one of the ways of a great teacher, leader, and thinker.

You're following Jack?:)

weary
01-07-2010, 19:56
You're following Jack?:)
As I said, my mutterings are often misunderstood.

Connie
01-07-2010, 19:58
I have had no annoying experiences hiking.

Oh yeah, I remember, I hike solo.

These is one annoying thing: abandoned trash, usually expensive hiker food packaging.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2010, 20:00
I have had no annoying experiences hiking.

There is one annoying thing: abandoned trash, usually expensive hiker food packaging.
Hmmm. . . :-?

jhick
01-07-2010, 20:02
which is it.... did you or didn't you?

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 20:02
I can't believe that anyone could forget that they hike solo.

Graywolf
01-07-2010, 20:22
Ok, One thing that DOES annoy me, I'm sitting in the shelter, MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS, (have to capitalize that so someone doesn't misread it.), reading my bible, QUIETLY,, when some one asks, "What are you reading??"

I say, "My bible"..

he says, "Man, another hiker trying to convert me.."

"Man, I am just sitting here reading my bible, for Christs sake, I didn't say a word to you..."

Those are the religeous fanatics that annoy me, The ones that think every one is trying to convert them when no one even says a word to them...

If you don't want to discus religieon here is what you do,

1. Don't ask.
2. Don't put down Christ in front of a believer..You do that, you are asking for it..
3. A believer has every right to talk a bout Christ just as you have every right to critisize Christ, So if you can't take it, DON'T DISH IT!!..

Be positive Jon Spartan, It can't be all that bad...

warraghiyagey
01-07-2010, 20:25
Ok, One thing that DOES annoy me, I'm sitting in the shelter, MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS, (have to capitalize that so someone doesn't misread it.), reading my bible, QUIETLY,, when some one asks, "What are you reading??"

I say, "My bible"..

"Man, I am just sitting here reading my bible, for Christs sake, I didn't say a word to you..."

Jesus Christ. . . .

Lone Wolf
01-07-2010, 20:40
oy vey :rolleyes:

kanga
01-07-2010, 20:42

I say, "My bible"..

Those are the religeous fanatics that annoy me, The ones that think every one is trying to convert them when no one even says a word to them...

1. Don't ask.
2. Don't put down Christ in front of a believer..You do that, you are asking for it..
3. A believer has every right to talk a bout Christ just as you have every right to critisize Christ, So if you can't take it, DON'T DISH IT!!..

you really shouldn't take the Lord's Name in vain. just sayin'..

weary
01-07-2010, 20:49
Shhhh. Don't tell 'em.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2010, 20:52
Agreed. . . just reprehensible really. . . . Jesus. . . . .

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 20:56
Does he still use his middle initial? Jesus H Christ???

Hooch
01-07-2010, 20:57
Does he still use his middle initial? Jesus H Christ???Only on legal documents and at Lent.

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 21:00
Only on legal documents and at Lent.

Better than the other name;)

warraghiyagey
01-07-2010, 21:03
Only on legal documents and at Lent.
And on his parking space. . .

Jager
01-07-2010, 22:34
That which annoys me :

Mountain bikers: On the limited (and admittedly mutli-use) trail system near me, the trails all have a large rut carved in them by bikes...makes hiking a bit less enjoyable as not turning an ankle can become a bit of a challenge. Worse, pretty much any small stream crossing has now been churned into a large mud pit.

pfann
01-08-2010, 02:09
Let's see if I can summarize what we've learned

HOW TO NOT ANNOY OTHER HIKERS
-Don't talk about Jesus, either for or against.

-Don't poop or pee near/over/around a shelter or another hiker (not necessarily in that order)

-Don't leave your soiled TP anywhere (even if soiled while far away from other hikers)

-Don't leave your trash, in or out of the fire pits

-Don't make noises in a shelter at the wrong times (I assume this means I can't ask anyone to pull my finger). What constitutes the wrong times may be open for interpretation.

-Don't talk about gear. This includes what gear I have, don't have, want, don't want, or what gear you have, don't have, want, don't want, or whether my gear is better than yours or yours is better than mine

-Don't drink all the beer from the trail magic cooler

-Don't act like you are smarter than other hikers, even if you are

-Don't ask for food, cigarettes or other stuff and act like you are going to "get me next time" when you and I both know you have no intention of doing so.

HERE'S ONE NOT MENTIONED YET
-PLEASE don't show me any body part and ask me if it looks infected?

So it looks like the weather and sports are still fair game, unless you want to talk about whether Jesus made it rain during the Padres/Cardinals game.

Ok, I think this pretty much sums up the thread so far.

Thanks for playing everybody. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

-pfann

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 02:15
Nice synopsis Pfann!

Oh, and don't talk about how many white blazes you've passed or fording the Kennebec with your dog...;)

jrwiesz
01-08-2010, 02:28
Well it was dark. . . . from now on I'll use my headlamp. . . :)

You'll have better aim that way. :D

You know what annoys me the most, is when I start giving unsolicited advice to others. I hate it when I do that!:o

Jester2000
01-08-2010, 02:33
Let's see if I can summarize what we've learned

HOW TO NOT ANNOY OTHER HIKERS
-Don't talk about Jesus, either for or against.

-Don't poop or pee near/over/around a shelter or another hiker (not necessarily in that order)

-Don't leave your soiled TP anywhere (even if soiled while far away from other hikers)

-Don't leave your trash, in or out of the fire pits

-Don't make noises in a shelter at the wrong times (I assume this means I can't ask anyone to pull my finger). What constitutes the wrong times may be open for interpretation.

-Don't talk about gear. This includes what gear I have, don't have, want, don't want, or what gear you have, don't have, want, don't want, or whether my gear is better than yours or yours is better than mine

-Don't drink all the beer from the trail magic cooler

-Don't act like you are smarter than other hikers, even if you are

-Don't ask for food, cigarettes or other stuff and act like you are going to "get me next time" when you and I both know you have no intention of doing so.

HERE'S ONE NOT MENTIONED YET
-PLEASE don't show me any body part and ask me if it looks infected?

So it looks like the weather and sports are still fair game, unless you want to talk about whether Jesus made it rain during the Padres/Cardinals game.

Ok, I think this pretty much sums up the thread so far.

Thanks for playing everybody. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

-pfann

People who summarize annoy me.

pfann
01-08-2010, 04:10
People who summarize annoy me.

CHECK:-?

This may be true, however, the original post asked for annoying things/people you have experienced on a hike.

In summary, unless you are currently on the trail, I do not qualify as annoying (for posting purposes on this thread) CHECKMATE :banana

Feel free to contact me when you ARE on a hike and I will do my best to irritate you at that time.

Thanks,

pfann

Jester2000
01-08-2010, 04:19
Hahahaha! Will do!

"Let me esplain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up."

warraghiyagey
01-08-2010, 08:51
So it looks like the weather and sports are still fair game,

-pfann

Unless the topic is windchill. . . ;):p

Hooch
01-08-2010, 09:05
Unless the topic is windchill. . . ;):p
http://thebusinesssavant.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/sacredcow.jpg

warraghiyagey
01-08-2010, 09:09
http://thebusinesssavant.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/sacredcow.jpg

:p . . . Good one Hooch. . .

Ladytrekker
01-08-2010, 09:51
Two things that really annoy me hiking. The person that is always on their cell phone and has to call home every time they get a signal. The other is the one that is always asking you to hold something. Please hold my hiking stick, can you hold my water bottle, can I hold your a$$ over a cliff. Anyway these kind of get on my nerves. How can I hear that endangered cockaded woodpecker over your latest downloaded ring tone. GRRRRRRRR.

Disney
01-08-2010, 13:14
I sure do!

That's pretty funny. And if you can't see the humor in this, you're too sensitive.

clodhopper
01-08-2010, 13:32

A little snore? :)

SassyWindsor
01-08-2010, 15:37
.....What has been the most rude, annoying, grating, irritating, bothersome thing/hiker/behavior you have experienced on a hike. This should be good for some interesting stories during the winter doldrums.....

Having to tolerate the aforementioned hiker/stroller with their unleashed dog.

sbhikes
01-08-2010, 15:43
Oh Jesus, Ringtones bother me.

SassyWindsor
01-08-2010, 15:43
most hikers fit those adjectives. it's why i don't hang around most hikers

Correct, I would say the majority fit.

I too do not hang with most hikers, though, I've met more than a few I would like to hang.:)

pfann
01-08-2010, 16:57
A little snore? :)

Snoring a little is like being sort of pregnant or slightly annoying

TD55
01-08-2010, 18:42
I find it very annoying when someone makes a comment when I'm cooking the bottom (remainders) of my food bag. Like they think it's strange or weird to make a delicious pot meal of a package of instant oatmeal, pack of raman, dollop of peanut butter, teaspoon of instant coffee, crumps from the trail mix bag and a couple of m&m's.

Chaco Taco
01-08-2010, 18:53
People on a power trip. VERY annoying!

Nean
01-08-2010, 19:02

FIGHT the POWER!:mad:

sbhikes
01-08-2010, 21:09
Another annoying thing is people who let their dogs go in the water I want to drink.

mere533
01-10-2010, 03:38
section hikers who wake up early to steal ur cash and haul a** back home. i. will. find. you.

Rockhound
01-10-2010, 09:15
Does he still use his middle initial? Jesus H Christ???
What exactly does the H stand for? Hooch, Hobo Joe, Hog on Ice?

Graywolf
01-10-2010, 09:40
section hikers who wake up early to steal ur cash and haul a** back home. i. will. find. you.

Hey, watch that now!! I am a section hiker, but I sleep in, take my time, pray to God I didn't have to go home tomarrow..

Oh, I have my own bag of food too.

An un orthodox section hiker..

Graywolf
01-10-2010, 09:47
You know what annoys me the most.. It is a bear that cleverly steals your food bag off the bear cables then waits till morning when you awake and dances in the middle of the trail as if he is braggin about stealin your food bag.. Man, That really gets on my nerves..

Graywolf
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/My%20Documents/My%20Videos/1410143977_l.gif

Graywolf
01-10-2010, 09:48
You know what annoys me the most.. It is a bear that cleverly steals your food bag off the bear cables then waits till morning when you awake and dances in the middle of the trail as if he is braggin about stealin your food bag.. Man, That really gets on my nerves..

Graywolf
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/My%20Documents/My%20Videos/1410143977_l.gif

Well, I had a clip here of a dancing bear, but evidently it didn't go threw..

pfann
01-12-2010, 13:44

I always thought the H is for Holy, as in "Jesus Holy Christ"

fredmugs
01-12-2010, 15:17

Hooch is his trailname. Picked it up on the trail after turning water into wine during grail days.

saimyoji
01-12-2010, 16:06

just noticed your location says Limbo....something you wanna share with the group? :-?

pfann
01-13-2010, 10:22
Hooch is his trailname. Picked it up on the trail after turning water into wine during grail days.

Jesus actually had several trail names-

Messiah
The Nazarene
King of Kings
The Word

Bear Cables
01-13-2010, 13:12

Well.....can you blame them?
My problem is...people peeing off the edge of the shelter.:(

Bear Cables
01-13-2010, 13:18
Hikers who boast about their big milage days. Who cares?

Buzz_Lightfoot
01-13-2010, 14:22

'nuf said...

Doesn'y he play for the NY Yankees? ;)

Nean
01-13-2010, 17:07
Hikers who boast about their big milage days. Who cares?
A group out west does. They even pay hikers to come to their get togethers and speak!

Tinker
01-13-2010, 17:15
Jesus actually had several trail names-

Messiah
The Nazarene
King of Kings
The Word
After WAAAAAAAY too much research time, I came to find out that Jesus is a Greek rendition of Y'shua, or Joshua. When "Jesus" was born there was no such name as "Jesus". His parents named him Joshua (Y'shua), or, Savior (Hebrew meaning).

Whatever his name is or was, it's too bad that it is used as a curse these days.

Reid
01-13-2010, 23:59
After WAAAAAAAY too much research time, I came to find out that Jesus is a Greek rendition of Y'shua, or Joshua. When "Jesus" was born there was no such name as "Jesus". His parents named him Joshua (Y'shua), or, Savior (Hebrew meaning).

Whatever his name is or was, it's too bad that it is used as a curse these days.

Yea, and God speaks to everyone in his on way, everyone.

Reid
01-14-2010, 01:39
I'm annoyed by tags on clothing that rub against my neck or waist. Have to rip those buggers off.

IceAge
01-14-2010, 16:38
I
James and John were "The Sons of Thunder".

That's what I call my right and left arms

Plodderman
01-14-2010, 16:41
Poeplw asking me how far it is to ....

jrwiesz
01-15-2010, 03:22
Doesn'y he play for the NY Yankees? ;)

No, it was the St. Louis Cardinals.:sun

jrwiesz
01-15-2010, 03:27
Poeplw asking me how far it is to ....

Tell them, five miles in the direction they just came from. :eek:

Chaco Taco
01-18-2010, 09:06
Pack Sniffers:D

paradoxb3
01-18-2010, 14:44
the worst are folks that combine several of the most annoying traits... i ran into one of these guys at plumorchard gap shelter in GA. a big fella came into the shelter around 11:30pm, after everyone else was asleep. woke us all up still gasping for air, shining his flashlight around, asking if there was space. some folks made him some room, and he noisily spread out his stuff, muttering to himself about what goes where, and once he finally settled down, he snored and snorted like an asthmatic walrus ALL_NIGHT. several people abandoned the shelter and tented in the middle of the night. THEN in the morning he gets up and begins bragging to everyone about what an experienced hiker he was (he looked to be lugging 50+ lbs and was wearing flannel, blue jeans, and work boots). And as if that wasnt enough, he and another annoying hiker got into a political debate over the leadership of then-president W Bush. Those remaining rolled their eyes and cleared out in a hurry.

I think that was the day I decided to stay away from shelters unless i have no other choice.

Chaco Taco
01-18-2010, 14:46
the worst are folks that combine several of the most annoying traits... i ran into one of these guys at plumorchard gap shelter in GA. a big fella came into the shelter around 11:30pm, after everyone else was asleep. woke us all up still gasping for air, shining his flashlight around, asking if there was space. some folks made him some room, and he noisily spread out his stuff, muttering to himself about what goes where, and once he finally settled down, he snored and snorted like an asthmatic walrus ALL_NIGHT. several people abandoned the shelter and tented in the middle of the night. THEN in the morning he gets up and begins bragging to everyone about what an experienced hiker he was (he looked to be lugging 50+ lbs and was wearing flannel, blue jeans, and work boots). And as if that wasnt enough, he and another annoying hiker got into a political debate over the leadership of then-president W Bush. Those remaining rolled their eyes and cleared out in a hurry.

I think that was the day I decided to stay away from shelters unless i have no other choice.

Takes one night to realize, shelters suck.

Chaco Taco
01-18-2010, 14:47
A group out west does. They even pay hikers to come to their get togethers and speak!

Something that really annoys me is those hikers that always seem to find the time to keep hiking year round. Especially Long distance hikers. :rolleyes::D

George
01-18-2010, 15:26
rudest thing I ever witnessed was me ripping a new one on a trail legend of where is so + so thread fame in the first 30 seconds of meeting, was an entertaining thing to do at the time

SunnyWalker
01-18-2010, 15:38
Dirty, foul, language. I move on. It seems real selfish and narcissitic also. Sometimes this is around familes and all. They usually don't have a clue. It sometimes is inconvient to move on but it seems better to just keep walking. More peaceful for sure.

Johnny Appleseed
01-18-2010, 18:55
The flip part of my lid on my cooking pot got stolen as I left it laying by a shelter when I slept. It was a piece of wire bended, so it wasn't valuable, but it was handy to not get burned. I wonder how someone lost their piece and were jerk enough to steal one on top of that. Funny thing is I never stayed at shelters, but maybe camped by them. And when I was at one I never left stuff around, but once.

I use shelters for the water, toilet, talking and trail log/journal. Then I go camp somewhere else as I sleep lightly. It saved my gear from mice as their footfalls on leaves wake me up, more then once. So snoring from hikers will definately keep me up.

I hate how women are always being swarmed by guys so they are hard to talk to. Then when you do just talk to one for any time that actually leads to knowing people and their techniques the guy gets jealous. But I find this to be true off the trail as well. Women are popular.

Johnny Appleseed
01-18-2010, 19:45
In the shenandoahs, many hikers got a stomach flu in '06. I helped a lady set up her tent after she hiked farther then she should have and wore herself out while sick. I later got sick. So I am at a shelter and I throw up unexpectedly by a bench w/ a pile of rocks. I then said hey a copperhead (1 foot away) and laid back on the bench. My friends laughed at the casual spotting and lack of fear. It was a nice snake and I watched it later. It was used to people and had a great temperment. I then spent 1 + days in my tent. Boyscouts come by and give me vitamin C, Thanks it helped. Then as I leave I hear a boyscout, long gone, killed a copperhead by a pile of rocks. That pissed me off to no end.

That snake was cool. Very cool. All it would do is very, very slowly crawl into the rock pile if anyone got too close. Turtles move faster. Then in ten minutes, out again for the snake. Why this snake?

jrwiesz
01-18-2010, 21:26
Dirty, foul, language. I move on. It seems real selfish and narcissitic also. Sometimes this is around familes and all. They usually don't have a clue. It sometimes is inconvient to move on but it seems better to just keep walking. More peaceful for sure.

Language is language, a means of communication.

Yours' is slightly off also, in that we are using written, instead of spoken language here on this forum.

Just sayin'.:eek:

kanga
01-18-2010, 21:27
In the shenandoahs, many hikers got a stomach flu in '06. I helped a lady set up her tent after she hiked farther then she should have and wore herself out while sick. I later got sick. So I am at a shelter and I throw up unexpectedly by a bench w/ a pile of rocks. I then said hey a copperhead (1 foot away) and laid back on the bench. My friends laughed at the casual spotting and lack of fear. It was a nice snake and I watched it later. It was used to people and had a great temperment. I then spent 1 + days in my tent. Boyscouts come by and give me vitamin C, Thanks it helped. Then as I leave I hear a boyscout, long gone, killed a copperhead by a pile of rocks. That pissed me off to no end.

That snake was cool. Very cool. All it would do is very, very slowly crawl into the rock pile if anyone got too close. Turtles move faster. Then in ten minutes, out again for the snake. Why this snake?

hey are you related to timothy treadwell?

Johnny Appleseed
01-19-2010, 14:09
no. nice picture of the kangaroo w/ the PKM.

thelowend
01-20-2010, 03:55
Sorry about that, Supe.

I kind of feel like the proper response to that would be, "No, when I strangle you and hide the body I'll have gear like yours." That would probably be wrong to say, though.

I mostly find people amusing rather than annoying.

Except for people who refuse to take responsibility for things they do in my dreams. I can't stand those people.

I agree with the finding people amusing rather than getting wadded panties over such inane things. I have thru hiked on the AT yet, just very brief sections, but usually if you know how to use the right verbal cues and body language, ditching even the most of annoying/amusing folks can be done with ease. While turning your back to someone is quite rude (dangerous too, if you don't know them), it works splendid.

thelowend
01-20-2010, 04:01

While I was only in boy scouts for a few years, I vividly remember the attitude of over protection from the parents and am not surprised to think that one of the scout masters probably made a big show of killing it or getting his kid to kill it, despite any real threat besides the snakes physical presence. Domination of nature is something that so many people get their rocks off to and it is quite disgusting..

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2010, 16:19
I don't stay in shelters much anymore, which means I probably miss out on 98% of the stuff that most folks find annoying.

On the other hand, that other 2% can be significant.

For example, in case anyone's thinking about it, the A.T. is REALLY a bad place to try and learn the banjo, the harmonica, or especially the bagpipes.

Those who ignore this advice will not find themselves popular.

atraildreamer
01-20-2010, 18:05
I find it very annoying when someone makes a comment when I'm cooking the bottom (remainders) of my food bag. Like they think it's strange or weird to make a delicious pot meal of a package of instant oatmeal, pack of raman, dollop of peanut butter, teaspoon of instant coffee, crumps from the trail mix bag and a couple of m&m's.

...The French Chef (as in Julia Child...sounds like some of the messy looking stuff she would concoct on her shows, but it always came out tasting DELICIOUS, somehow!) :banana

JJJ
01-20-2010, 18:35
.....the A.T. is REALLY a bad place to try and learn the banjo, the harmonica, or especially the bagpipes.

I'm crushed, that was half my reason for going. :mad:
:D

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 18:43
For example, in case anyone's thinking about it, the A.T. is REALLY a bad place to try and learn the banjo, the harmonica, or especially the bagpipes. . .

I'm crushed, that was half my reason for going. :mad:
:D

The difference between a Scotsman and a Scottish Gentleman is that a Scotsman plays the bagpipes, and a Scottish Gentleman knows how, but doesn't.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 18:59
While I was only in boy scouts for a few years, I vividly remember the attitude of over protection from the parents and am not surprised to think that one of the scout masters probably made a big show of killing it or getting his kid to kill it, despite any real threat besides the snakes physical presence. Domination of nature is something that so many people get their rocks off to and it is quite disgusting..

In my troop we teach the boys to recognize and give sufficiently wide berth to the hand full of poisonous snakes. They are taught not to kill it unless they intend to eat it.

A few months ago while assembling a rope bridge for our district scout expo one of the boys correctly identified a coral snake...red on yellow...it was making a line to the weeds but we followed it until it went into the weeds and everyone there got a real nice look at a very pretty snake.

DrRichardCranium
01-20-2010, 19:14
The difference between a Scotsman and a Scottish Gentleman is that a Scotsman plays the bagpipes, and a Scottish Gentleman knows how, but doesn't.

What's the difference between Rolling Stones' music and Scottish music?

Rolling Stones music has lyrics like : "Hey, you, get off of my cloud!"

Scottish music has lyrics like: "Hey, McCloud, get off of my ewe!"

Chaco Taco
01-20-2010, 19:17

Classic:clap

superman
01-20-2010, 19:27

LMAO Mr Head.:D

SGT Rock
01-20-2010, 19:34
I've only really been annoyed by about four people on the trail. One is a friend that feels the need to have a conversation going at all times we hike together. Two were a couple of women hiking together that allowed their Chihuahua dog to attack me as they stared on - probably thought it was my fault the animal felt the need to attack my ankle. And the fourth was another dog owner who had his dog around a group of other hikers as it snarled and bared it's teeth to everyone in camp - but he said that was just the dog being friendly, and he meant it too.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2010, 19:36
one is a friend that feels the need to have a conversation going at all times we hike together.

hahahahaaha;)

SGT Rock
01-20-2010, 19:40
Not that guy.

But I was thinking about Weary's post when I wrote that. I wonder how it is that people feel the need to talk all the time and also feel you need to respond all the time to what they are saying.

I've read a few of the Tony Hillerman novels and think this must be a belagana thing.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2010, 19:59
Not that guy.

But I was thinking about Weary's post when I wrote that. I wonder how it is that people feel the need to talk all the time and also feel you need to respond all the time to what they are saying.

I've read a few of the Tony Hillerman novels and think this must be a belagana thing.
LMAO.Funny funny. Still remember The Dragon? The look on your face was too funny

SGT Rock
01-20-2010, 20:03
Ohh, that guy that was with me is THAT GUY.

thelowend
01-21-2010, 01:13
Not that guy.

Someone who can't sit comfortable in silence has something wrong going on in their head..

thelowend
01-21-2010, 01:13
^comfortably

Johnny Appleseed
01-21-2010, 01:17
In my troop we teach the boys to recognize and give sufficiently wide berth to the hand full of poisonous snakes.

I recognized this in the middle of my puking(snake being nice). The thing did not move while being 1 foot away. Anyway I want to thank you because that teaching thing is all we have to combat what we know is wrong, by example/OUR ACTIONS.

beakerman
01-21-2010, 01:39
I recognized this in the middle of my puking(snake being nice). The thing did not move while being 1 foot away. Anyway I want to thank you because that teaching thing is all we have to combat what we know is wrong, by example/OUR ACTIONS.

Thanks for the props.

A few years ago when my boy was still a cub scout we were off on a hike with the den and we came across 11 copperheads sunning themselves over the course of about 3 miles of trail. Copperheads are pretty too. I got every boy to get a reasonably close look at them. They learned all about the pupil slit rather than round eye and the general body plan (thick as opposed to whip like) and such...they realy enjoyed it. One or two wanted to kill the first one and I simply asked "why?" the best they could come up with was it might bite someone--I said "who?...you've been here looking at it for a good 5 minutes now and it hasn't moved other than breathing..."

Now a copperhead in my small suburban back yard is a different story. I have younger kids romping all over the place back there not to mention dogs and such but out in the woods I will never kill a snake again. I did once when I was in college and it sort of snuck up on me and startled me. A startled me is not a good thing...I swing first ask questions later as my now wife found out very early on in our relationship.

Chaco Taco
01-21-2010, 07:44
Ohh, that guy that was with me is THAT GUY.

HAHAHAHAAHA I KNEW IT. I will never forget that day!

Marta
01-21-2010, 08:02
Our rule is that snakes that stay outside live; snakes who make their way into the house, die.

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 12:59
What has been the most rude, annoying, grating, irritating, bothersome thing/hiker/behavior you have experienced ....

I won't repeat all of it in this thread.....but it would definitely be the the two hikers we fed that promoted the legalization of pot to our tweeners and teens.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=956277#post956277

pfann
01-22-2010, 13:24
I won't repeat all of it in this thread.....but it would definitely be the the two hikers we fed that promoted the legalization of pot to our tweeners and teens.

well, that explains why they ate so much. and you probably thought it was because they hiked a lot.

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 13:34
well, that explains why they ate so much. and you probably thought it was because they hiked a lot.

That realization made it much easier to end our generosity. So did the realization that our feeding the trickortreaters wasn't the difference between them going hungry or not, but meant they would have $ left over to buy beer after buying groceries.

jrwiesz
01-22-2010, 14:35
That realization made it much easier to end our generosity. So did the realization that our feeding the trickortreaters wasn't the difference between them going hungry or not, but meant they would have $ left over to buy beer after buying groceries.

This is one reason for the phrase, "Please don't feed the animals". You'll see it posted in most wilderness areas. Good rule of thumb to follow.:sun

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 15:07

I read that whole post. I'm definitely a big advocate of the belief that hikers have a half of the bargain to uphold when people are generous, and I have many times gone on and on online and to hikers in person about hiker behavior affecting the next group of hikers to pass thru.

I think that post is a sad example of bad behavior disappointing people to the point that their generosity is quashed.

But I do take issue with one thing in that post, which was mentioned twice -- I personally know of only one hiker who I would consider "wealthy." Most hikers I know just have different priorities for what they do with what little money they do have. Sure, it would be nice to have a car that was made after 1992. Might be nice to own a house. Or take a ski trip. Or heck, it might be nice just to buy a TV. But there are a lot of hikers who choose not to do or have these things so they can hike.

This is not to say that there aren't college aged kids whose parents are funding their hikes, or retired people who aren't as affected by taking 6 months off. But I'd guess that the vast majority of hikers save and save and save for years to fund their hikes, because it's something they dream of doing.

When people ask me how I can afford to take six months off, I say that I've intentionally forgone a career, house, kids, cars, annual vacations, and material goods (all of which make other people happy) so I can do what makes me happy.

Nean
01-22-2010, 15:12
You got it Jester.;) I'm ahead of the game though!:D I drive a '94!:p

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 16:07
But I do take issue with one thing in that post, which was mentioned twice -- I personally know of only one hiker who I would consider "wealthy."

I understand the economics. And that as a function of total net worth or total income very few of the hikers are wealthy and many aren't even above the poverty line.

And I understand that you make choices and forgo things I don't forgo. And if I wanted to give up the house, rv, cars, kids college fund, etc, I too could afford to hike the AT. And I could afford to hike it with out anybodies handouts. So I have made the choice not to hike the AT because although I would like to, other things are more important to me.

But I have never asked you to subsidize my lifestyle. Or tried to guilt you into subsidizing my vacations. Or had discussion with others about the best way to get others to buy me stuff on vacation. My children have discussed amoung themselves the best ways to get mommy and daddy to buy them stuff. But adults don't typically have those types of conversations. Yes, I have discussed ways of saving money on vacations, but never getting others to buy it for me. And that is what yoging is -- guilting someone into taking pity on you to subsidize your vacation. Yoging is a form of begging.

If we can't afford to go to Disney, then we don't go to Disney. We don't go down to Orlando and then try to get strangers to buy us meals. And I would stand by the general proposition if you don't have enough money to pay for your own vacation, then you shouldn't be going on vacation.

I use the term "wealthy" to point out that your hiking is a choice and there is a huge difference between me donating food to you and me donating food to the homeless shelter.

I used the term "wealthy" because I think the starting point of discussing the yogis obligation to the donor must be predicated on several truths.

1. The yogi voluntarily choose this lifestyle. This isn't someone who lost their job b/c the company went under or lost the house because the medical bills of a sick uninsured child.

2. The Yogi is on vacation a 5 month vacation.

3. The donor more likely than not gets less than 1 month of time off per year. Prefers vacation time to work time. The donor also saves up money to spend on vacation. Odds are the donor has never had more than 2 weeks of vacation in a row in their entire life (not counting childhood)

4. If the donor hit the lottery, he/she would probably quit his/her job and go on a 5 month vacation. Maybe even hike the AT (particularly true if your target is a sectional hiker.)

5. And that unless the food was otherwise going to be thrown in the trash, then the Yogi is asking this person who also has limited vacation money to use some of their vacation money to subsidize the vacation of the yogi.

Now in that context, lets discuss how the yogi should act, if they find someone so generous to use some of their own vacation funds to help fund your vacation.

And I stand firm in saying anyone who has the resources and means to voluntarily give up 5 months of income to go on vacation is wealthy. At least wealthy enough to fund their own vacation.

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 17:32
Hey, you know, I was agreeing with you. If someone I welcomed into my family event started talking to my kids about weed, I'd probably figure out where the next road crossing was and suggest to the local police that they might want to sit there with a drug dog.

As for the rest of it, you know nothing about me. I haven't asked you or anyone I've met on the trail to subsidize my vacation. I don't yogi people. I save up my money to hike, and I bring enough to afford to do whatever I want on my own dime. So you've never asked me to subsidize your lifestyle? Well back at you.

I don't need to discuss how a yogi should act, and I don't really need to predicate it on those points, not only because I don't yogi, but because I agree with you. I think if someone offers something to me, I have an obligation to offer something back. It could be telling stories, or helping clean up, or, at the very least, showing enough gratitude that the person giving something to me feels good about what they've done (and wants to do it again).

I don't expect people to offer me anything, and I'm grateful when they do. I think it's a shame that there are hikers who act in a manner that robs both hikers and locals of the opportunity to interact in a way that benefits both groups.

As for wealth, I'm wealthy in experiences and friends. And that's about it.

kanga
01-22-2010, 18:02
I understand the economics. And that as a function of total net worth or total income very few of the hikers are wealthy and many aren't even above the poverty line.

And I understand that you make choices and forgo things I don't forgo. And if I wanted to give up the house, rv, cars, kids college fund, etc, I too could afford to hike the AT. And I could afford to hike it with out anybodies handouts. So I have made the choice not to hike the AT because although I would like to, other things are more important to me.

But I have never asked you to subsidize my lifestyle. Or tried to guilt you into subsidizing my vacations. Or had discussion with others about the best way to get others to buy me stuff on vacation. My children have discussed amoung themselves the best ways to get mommy and daddy to buy them stuff. But adults don't typically have those types of conversations. Yes, I have discussed ways of saving money on vacations, but never getting others to buy it for me. And that is what yoging is -- guilting someone into taking pity on you to subsidize your vacation. Yoging is a form of begging.

If we can't afford to go to Disney, then we don't go to Disney. We don't go down to Orlando and then try to get strangers to buy us meals. And I would stand by the general proposition if you don't have enough money to pay for your own vacation, then you shouldn't be going on vacation.

I use the term "wealthy" to point out that your hiking is a choice and there is a huge difference between me donating food to you and me donating food to the homeless shelter.

I used the term "wealthy" because I think the starting point of discussing the yogis obligation to the donor must be predicated on several truths.

1. The yogi voluntarily choose this lifestyle. This isn't someone who lost their job b/c the company went under or lost the house because the medical bills of a sick uninsured child.

2. The Yogi is on vacation a 5 month vacation.

3. The donor more likely than not gets less than 1 month of time off per year. Prefers vacation time to work time. The donor also saves up money to spend on vacation. Odds are the donor has never had more than 2 weeks of vacation in a row in their entire life (not counting childhood)

4. If the donor hit the lottery, he/she would probably quit his/her job and go on a 5 month vacation. Maybe even hike the AT (particularly true if your target is a sectional hiker.)

5. And that unless the food was otherwise going to be thrown in the trash, then the Yogi is asking this person who also has limited vacation money to use some of their vacation money to subsidize the vacation of the yogi.

Now in that context, lets discuss how the yogi should act, if they find someone so generous to use some of their own vacation funds to help fund your vacation.

And I stand firm in saying anyone who has the resources and means to voluntarily give up 5 months of income to go on vacation is wealthy. At least wealthy enough to fund their own vacation.

we always referred to people who "yogi" as spare-changers or hustlers. i would never go on a hike without taking what i need with me. somebody that expects to be able to beg or wheedle food out of people on their hike is just trashy. and i don't mean like hiker trash trashy, i mean like trailer trash trashy. you need your ass beat. for the love of god, do not approach me on the trail or in camp and expect to get food. you damn well better be starving dead before you try that with me. go home, sign up with your county for welfare, and stay there because i come to the woods to get away from your lazy mooching ass.

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 18:05
we always referred to people who "yogi" as spare-changers or hustlers. i would never go on a hike without taking what i need with me. somebody that expects to be able to beg or wheedle food out of people on their hike is just trashy. and i don't mean like hiker trash trashy, i mean like trailer trash trashy. you need your ass beat. for the love of god, do not approach me on the trail or in camp and expect to get food. you damn well better be starving dead before you try that with me. go home, sign up with your county for welfare, and stay there because i come to the woods to get away from your lazy mooching ass.

I can usually figure out pretty quickly where Kanga stands on an issue. But that's because I'm pretty clever.

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 18:27
Jester,

You are right I know nothing about you. I used that term in the context of a thread on "how to yogi" my comments were not direct to all AT hikers, just those who yogi or future hikers who are planning to yogi on their trip. It offered suggestions for both being successful at yoging and in how to leave your host willing to help the next hiker.

And you are right if you don't yogi what I wrote doesn't apply to you. It does apply to those who yogi, particularly those who have some sort of sense of entitlement, in that thread several hikers said they considered anyone who rebuffed their efforts as stingy. My comments apply to them. Not you.

My reason for phrasing it that way was hopefully get those hikers (not you) to think in the terms I laid out.

I am sorry if the term insults you. My comments and suggestions are aimed at the significant minority of hikers who feel the rest of us owe them something. Not the majority of hikers who realize we don't.

kanga
01-22-2010, 18:33
I can usually figure out pretty quickly where Kanga stands on an issue. But that's because I'm pretty clever.
after many years of being foggy, i can now say that there is something to be said for clarity.

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2010, 18:33
Wow, the planets must be in alignment or something......in regards to Kanga's above Post #209, all I can say is that I wish I'd written it. Actually, other than the lack of punctuation, it actually sounds like I DID write it. :D

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 19:02

I didn't think all of them were that bad. Some of them in fact were in fact really great kids.

I will never forget an exchange that went something like this......

Hiker: thank you, ma'am.
Cheryl: would you stop calling me ma'am you making me feel old, my name is Cheryl.
H: sorry, ma'am. oops, I mean sorry Cheryl. I will try not let it happen again.
C: no problem.
H: thank you, ma'am..ugh, Cheryl.
C: why do you say sir or ma'am in every single sentence?
H: that's just the way momma raised me ma'am. ugh, I am sorry I am being terribly rude.
C: don't worry about it, you call me ma'am.
H: thank you, ma'am.
C: [to her husband, laughing] I was our kids were this rude.

That night every parent explained to their kids that this guests behavior is what they expected out of them when they are guest elsewhere.

And is quite possible he wasn't his plan to yogi us when he asked were the nearest water source was and commented on our picnic. But he sure did make it easy for us to invite the next hiker to the picnic.

DrRichardCranium
01-22-2010, 19:05
Not much to do with hiking, but what exactly IS the female equivalent of "sir?"

I don't feel old when someone in a store or something calls me "sir."

If "ma'am" makes women feel old, what SHOULD the proper address be?

TD55
01-22-2010, 19:30
Not much to do with hiking,

I hope someone answers this before my ears start bleeding.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2010, 20:26

wench?.......

Skidsteer
01-22-2010, 20:29

Use "Ma'am". And remember that just because she doesn't like it, doesn't mean you're wrong.

Foyt20
01-22-2010, 20:33
wench?.......

^^^ This. LW bestows us once again ;) :D

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 21:16

Ma'am is the correct term. She just wasn't use to hearing someone calling her that. It was also 3 days after her 35th birthday. It was her issue not his.

warraghiyagey
01-22-2010, 21:18

I believe 'Toots' or 'Babe' works but 'Wench' also will do in a pinch. . .

srestrepo
01-22-2010, 21:35
working in customer service, usually i'll go for the "Miss" approach. babe or toots would definitely get me escorted off the premises for good.

i just refuse to honor when someone introduces themselves as Doctor so and so.
good for you, you know some stuff.

or john J Matthews, Esquire, and then advised me to refer to them as attorney matthews. that crap will definitely result in you ending a phone call with a dissatisfactory result.

GGS2
01-22-2010, 22:03
It's only the past few years that people have begun to treat me old. First it was just the pretty young girls that would ignore me. That didn't take too much thinking to figure out. But lately, those same girls have started to hold the door open for me. Even jump up when I approach to open it for me. And the young guys too. Makes me feel almost as old as I am.

But as to the yogiing thread, I notice a distinct divide between the young and the old. I think yogiing is a young thing. Teenagers and even twenty-somethings are still growing and get hungry easily. They always want some snacky food handy, and after coming up to a picnic, they're practically drooling. Besides, they just naturally sidle up to whoever is fixing food and start a conversation that means, "Can I have some of that? All of that?"

They probably don't think much of it, one way or another. Just the same game they are used to playing with their relatives. And the inappropriate talk with the kids? More of the same. That's probably what they would be talking about with their siblings and cousins. That doesn't make it less objectionable, but just a bit more understandable.

I don't expect handouts, but now that people open doors for me, I do understand that the urge to be generous is quite wide spread, and not just among the over-the-hill crowd. And to young people exploring their bodies and urges, this is how generosity comes out sometimes. Us old folks have probably had to deal with it among our own families. We shouldn't be surprised when it turns up among the strangers among us. That young person displaying her body should have been a signal that the talk probably wouldn't be what you consider appropriate. I see that kind of show-boating at the mall, in schools and on the streets all the time. I recognize that behavior from way back in time when I was a kid, too.

weary
01-22-2010, 22:10
Not really. It doesn't require an awful lot of cleverness, as I can attest.

weary
01-22-2010, 22:14
wench?.......
You finally succeeded, Lone One. I laughed out loud -- and woke up my wife.

weary
01-22-2010, 22:18
It's only the past few years that people have begun to treat me old. First it was just the pretty young girls that would ignore me. That didn't take too much thinking to figure out. But lately, those same girls have started to hold the door open for me. Even jump up when I approach to open it for me. And the young guys too. Makes me feel almost as old as I am.

But as to the yogiing thread, I notice a distinct divide between the young and the old. I think yogiing is a young thing. Teenagers and even twenty-somethings are still growing and get hungry easily. They always want some snacky food handy, and after coming up to a picnic, they're practically drooling. Besides, they just naturally sidle up to whoever is fixing food and start a conversation that means, "Can I have some of that? All of that?"

They probably don't think much of it, one way or another. Just the same game they are used to playing with their relatives. And the inappropriate talk with the kids? More of the same. That's probably what they would be talking about with their siblings and cousins. That doesn't make it less objectionable, but just a bit more understandable.

I don't expect handouts, but now that people open doors for me, I do understand that the urge to be generous is quite wide spread, and not just among the over-the-hill crowd. And to young people exploring their bodies and urges, this is how generosity comes out sometimes. Us old folks have probably had to deal with it among our own families. We shouldn't be surprised when it turns up among the strangers among us. That young person displaying her body should have been a signal that the talk probably wouldn't be what you consider appropriate. I see that kind of show-boating at the mall, in schools and on the streets all the time. I recognize that behavior from way back in time when I was a kid, too.
You're still young. It'll get worse in 17 years, or so, as I can attest! Weary

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 22:36
What works for me is not calling anyone anything at all. I've managed to say "thank you" without having to follow it with a noun. I've pulled off "excuse me" successfully as well.

I understand that military men who are used to saying "sir" a lot have probably had the habit drilled into them of saying "ma'am" after everything. And by extension, their kids will be taught to do the same.

But my family's background isn't exactly military, and I didn't serve.

But I'm pretty sure people like hearing "thank you," with or without the honorific.

prain4u
01-22-2010, 22:51

In a whiney, goofy, Jerry Lewis voice simply say.....

"Hey, Laaaaadddyyyyy!"

Johnny Appleseed
01-22-2010, 23:11
I am hung up on this free thing. We hikers want food we can't get on the trail, not food we can't afford. When hikers get to town they buy food at a restaurant almost 100% of the time. I never once heard anyone say anything about free on the trail. All I hear is man that was great for the next 2 days. Boy wish we had some more ... like two days ago, that was good.

Food at the grocery store that hikers can carry for extended periods is CHEAP-minus a few specialty items. I am averaging 40$ a week w/ all the expensive goodies I can carry. That is cheap.

Now for the selfish part. There are hikers who will not share happiness w/ a family because of these other IDIOTS. I enjoy the memory of all the families who offered me food. I always wanted to know about them and their life. And they wanted to hear stories, usually. Seems like a good thing for all...until idiot shows up.

Thanks for being a trail angel for as long as you were Touron.

John Klein
01-23-2010, 15:28
I'm a northern transplant and you hear a lot more "ma'am" down here than in NY. In fact, in NY, it seemed like it was reserved for situations when someone was being called ma'am ironically (like a bad waiter being sarcastic to a customer that was complaining).

Here in the south it appears to me that people call all ladies (married or otherwise) "Miss" and then their first name.

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 16:24
I am hung up on this free thing. We hikers want food we can't get on the trail, not food we can't afford. When hikers get to town they buy food at a restaurant almost 100% of the time. I never once heard anyone say anything about free on the trail. All I hear is man that was great for the next 2 days. Boy wish we had some more ... like two days ago, that was good.

Food at the grocery store that hikers can carry for extended periods is CHEAP-minus a few specialty items. I am averaging 40$ a week w/ all the expensive goodies I can carry. That is cheap.

Now for the selfish part. There are hikers who will not share happiness w/ a family because of these other IDIOTS. I enjoy the memory of all the families who offered me food. I always wanted to know about them and their life. And they wanted to hear stories, usually. Seems like a good thing for all...until idiot shows up.

Thanks for being a trail angel for as long as you were Touron.

Hmmm....never thought of that, I always assumed it was it being free not the variety. But now that I think about it, that makes more sense. I know I would rather eat BBQ chicken and grilled sausage with peppers and onions than ramon noodles and the reconstituted mystery crap that I bring when I go backpacking. After four days hiking I don't want to see another peanut or raisin for a month. Maybe some of them were being honest when saying that they wanted to buy some food off us and it wasn't just an attempt to get a freebee.

(Although I do know for a fact, from my starving school days, that free food does taste better. Same resturant, if some club was giving out pizza in the student union, it tasted much better than buying it yourself)

Mountain Dew
01-24-2010, 03:00
Things that annoy me.....

People who snore in shelters !
People who let their pack explode in shelters !
People who discuss politics in shelters (usually liberals) !
People who don't act proper at hostels !
People who lump all purist together as they bash them ! I find most of them are acting out as a result out inner guilt about miles
missed. Lol
People that quote their trail miles in registers. I find it impossible not to make fun of them in the register.
People who carry packs under 30 lbs and are always asking for town info, food, or asking to use my filter.
People who go to bed before sundown and get up before sunrise at shelters.....
People who lie to hotel owners about how many hikers will be in a room !

And I could go on and on ......

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 00:51
you know Touron what tastes better to me, is anything cooked by another person. I can't explain it, but I think when I cook things, I cook the same way. Then when another person cooks the same thing w/ the same ingredients it tastes better. They stir different, or let it cook more or less, or hotter or colder. It is not mentally, cause then I do the clean up that can take longer.

Mtn dew, I agree people who want to use my filter-although I have never been asked I would say no, unless their filter failed or bleach ran out, or they were new and dumb, not just new, as I was new also w/ hundreds of others.

For a while it was hearing people say hike your own hike, yukon cornelius, my pal, of course I WILL do that.

Downunda
01-25-2010, 02:53
There was on hiker on my thru hike that annoyed everyone... I saw him off and on for about 10 days. His trail name was First Light and he was a retired NY subway driver. First Light was a lightweight hiker who didn't carry a tent. So he planned his day so he arrived at the shelter around or before 2:00pm so he could get a spot. His mode of operation was to set his alarm for about 5:00am then he used to fossick around in the shelter packing up and flashing his headlamp everywhere to the joy of all present!

One day he arrived at the shelter and it was full... well he carried on a treat until one of the other hikers gave up their spot for him and moved out into their tent.

He certainly got a lot of verbal abuse, but it was like water off a duck's back!

Wheeler
01-25-2010, 03:35
you know Touron what tastes better to me, is anything cooked by another person. I can't explain it, but I think when I cook things, I cook the same way. Then when another person cooks the same thing w/ the same ingredients it tastes better. They stir different, or let it cook more or less, or hotter or colder. It is not mentally, cause then I do the clean up that can take longer.

Mtn dew, I agree people who want to use my filter-although I have never been asked I would say no, unless their filter failed or bleach ran out, or they were new and dumb, not just new, as I was new also w/ hundreds of others.

For a while it was hearing people say hike your own hike, yukon cornelius, my pal, of course I WILL do that.

No kidding! I'm always drooling over other hiker's food even though I carry stuff I like. Something about the variety, I think.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2010, 16:07
Downunda:

I have also encountered people who went tent or tarpless and either expected or guilt-tripped other people into giving up their sheleter space.

(I also had a guy ask me if he could use my tent, and he was utterly amazed when I refused, saying if I wanted my tent all muddy, wet, and a couple pounds heavier in the morning, then I'd be in it myself, instead of in a nice dry shelter. He was flabbergasted when I told him he couldn't use my tent).

I've seen people claim that shelters are reserved first and foremost for liteweight hikers who don't carry camping shelters of their own. Funny thing is that they sometimes actually believe this nonsense.

This sort of thing happens more frequently than you might think, and it is always instructive and amusing when you thoughtfully point out to these folks that there is often sleeping space to be found UNDER the shelter.

They invariably say: "It's filthy and nasty and mouse-ridden down there!"

To which I invariably say: "Yeah, that's why most people carry a tent. Good night."

Ender
01-25-2010, 16:10
(I also had a guy ask me if he could use my tent, and he was utterly amazed when I refused, saying if I wanted my tent all muddy, wet, and a couple pounds heavier in the morning, then I'd be in it myself, instead of in a nice dry shelter. He was flabbergasted when I told him he couldn't use my tent).

I had almost this exact same thing happen to me in Vermont one year. I wonder if it was the same guy. Woulda been in 2000. You just have to wonder about some people.

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 16:14
I had almost this exact same thing happen to me in Vermont one year. I wonder if it was the same guy. Woulda been in 2000. You just have to wonder about some people.

Same thing for me in 2000. Maybe there's only one guy pulling this routine, but he pulls it a lot.

My response: "So let me get this straight -- you think other people should suffer the consequences of YOUR bad decision?"

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 16:15
And I could go on and on ......

Haha! Believe me, Dew, we know.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2010, 16:23
Jester and Ender:

Man, I wish it WAS just one guy, but something like this has happened to me several times.

Only thing funnier was one night in the Smokies where this guy came barging into the shelter like gangbusters informing everyone present that someone had to pack up and move out into the rain because certain spots in the shelter were reserved for Southbounders.

Wolf and I were utterly speechless. :D

(In case anyone is wondering, Wolf moved outta the shelter, in that at the time it seemed better than performing an orchidectomy on the SOBO).

But yeah, this sort of thing happens more often than you might think.

Ender
01-25-2010, 16:29
Reserved for Southbounders? That's priceless. No way I would have moved though. Would have 100% told him to go away and tent in the rain.

Some people just amaze me. And not in a good way.

DrRichardCranium
01-25-2010, 16:42
Wolf was in a shelter???

Mountain Dew
01-26-2010, 04:29

I'm hoping that you are kidding. If I ever saw somebody pissing off of the edge of a shelter I give them a gentle push off of that edge and into their mess. OR I wait for them to tent and piss inches away..... Payback is often funny. Lol

Nean
01-26-2010, 11:50
Wolf was in a shelter???

Wolf was in a shelter last night... I got pics to prove it!:D

Chaco Taco
01-26-2010, 11:51
Wolf was in a shelter last night... I got pics to prove it!:D

But did he sleep there????? I mean pass out there????

Nean
01-26-2010, 11:56
But did he sleep there????? I mean pass out there????
I think he might of dosed.:-? We ran him off- but he doesn't remember going to his tent LOL. :D
Seems we drank a little.:eek:

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 15:12
I think he might of dosed.:-? We ran him off- but he doesn't remember going to his tent LOL. :D
Seems we drank a little.:eek:

I heard he put his tent up inside the shelter. :banana

pfann
01-31-2010, 05:00
It looks like this thread has run its course.

How annoying!

pfann:mad:

LimpsAlong
01-31-2010, 09:09
[QUOTE=Jester2000;945713]Sorry about that, Supe.

I kind of feel like the proper response to that would be, "No, when I strangle you and hide the body I'll have gear like yours."

Thats rich!!

LimpsAlong
01-31-2010, 09:58

I say, "My bible"..

1. Don't ask.

I'm with you.