PDA

View Full Version : birth control

Pickleodeon
01-05-2010, 18:44
Have any of you ever used Yaz, or Yasmin birth control? I'm not quite sure what the difference is, it seems like Yaz is for PMDD- irritability, bloating, acne, depressed mood, cramps, etc. Yasmin seemed to be more for acne, in addition to birth control. I'm asking the women of WhiteBlaze because I trust you more than the general internet public reviews.

I've read a lot of good and bad reviews, mainly bad side effects. Anyone use them?

drifters quest
01-05-2010, 22:16
I can't answer your question, but I hope someone can. I was thinking about birth control for my hike.. I get really bad cramps and stuff when I start my period and I think it would be soo much easier and more pleasant. I don't want any of the water retention/weight gain side effects though

leaftye
01-05-2010, 22:18
I would've thought the strain of a thru-hike would stop your periods.

Not Sunshine
01-05-2010, 22:35
personally, i'm a lo-ovral user. i tried yasmin for 3 months a few years ago and i developed cystic acne over my cheek bones and towards my ears that was incredibly painful.

i have been taking 9-12 weeks of active pills of the lo-ovral (i skip the inactive/placebo week) for years now, so for me, i would take the pills with me on a thru-hike and really only end up with 1 period during the entire 6 months, and i would definitely use a diva cup or a keeper during that time.

and i would agree that the strain/stress/high physical activity would decrease some women's periods, but certainly not all women are equal.

some women don't have periods at all with the mirena IUD - only catch is you have to have it removed/replaced every 2-3 years, i believe.

Hooch
01-05-2010, 22:46
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/Miscellaneous/P1000565.jpg

Best.......birth control.......ever.......:eek::rolleyes::D

Saluka
01-05-2010, 22:47
Ooch.. you always skip your inactive week? Is that really a good idea?

I have trouble going against the forces of nature and it almost feels strange to control my bodies menses, but I do do it because it helps me with my terrible PMS. I always let my body have it's monthly bout of pain and flushing (by not skipping my inactive week) but sometimes I shift it around to be more fitting for plans. Sometimes I"ll make sure it hits me on a weekend so I don't miss school ect.

As far as the original question is concerned: I've only had experience with YAZ but I've never had any bad side effects. No water retention, minor spotting, ~24 hours or less of nausea (first month only).

Plus side it helped control acne (not that I really had much trouble with that), works wonders on PMS mood swings (which is the main reason I take the stuff) and greatly decreased cramping (though it didn't eliminate it).

My only down (or up?) thought on the use of the stuff is that it makes your breasts grow quite a bit. The first year I was on it I went up one whole size. I started on it again and had a sore chest for a whole month (OUCH!) and I think this time I'm actually up 1.5 sizes from my base size when I started the first time. None of my bras fit anymore which kind of sucks since they are expensive..

If you are planning on thruhiking this year I highly recommend you start at least 1 month before you leave (if you still have time) so you can get rid of any chest pain, nausea or other ill effects before you have other issues to deal with.

I hope this helped. I've been on YAZ for a total of 13 months and recommend it. I took a break for a couple months but ultimately went back on it, though I may be going off it again because I keep forgetting to take the stuff.

Best of luck!
~ Sal

wakapak
01-05-2010, 22:49
I would've thought the strain of a thru-hike would stop your periods.

maybe for some women, but not for all.

wakapak
01-05-2010, 22:50
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/hoochnc/miscellaneous/p1000565.jpg

best.......birth control.......ever.......:eek::rolleyes::d

too f***ing funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lugnut
01-05-2010, 22:53

Best post ever!

warraghiyagey
01-05-2010, 23:33

Enjoy the trail, ladies. . . . :)

Chaco Taco
01-05-2010, 23:35
Best post ever!

I second that

Dogwood
01-06-2010, 00:02
Hooch, she's hot. Um, what's um I guesssss her name? LOL Great pic!

Pickolodeon, I would thoroughly reconsider using Yaz or Yasmin. I don't know all of the possible side effects of using these types of birth control but they are both currently involved in class action lawsuits ALLEGING some very serious complications and even death. Definitely discuss this with your OBGYN.

As an aside, then again I rarely discuss the topic of birth control and hiking, I'm also a man, but be aware that some hormonal treatments prescribed for poison ivy can interfere with the effectiveness of some forms of birth control. Don't know if this bit of info means anything to anyone right now, but I don't think every/any woman wants to go from being concerned with a rash on their arm to a bump on their belly!

mkmangold
01-06-2010, 01:51
I prescribe regular OC's for any fertile woman who does not want to get pregnant. I once prescribed Yaz and she ended up having some type of vaginal discharge that caused her to think she had an STD. My advice: go with the lowest dosing possible (mg-wise) for your situation and discuss it with your doctor.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
01-06-2010, 01:52
Have any of you ever used Yaz, or Yasmin birth control? I'm not quite sure what the difference is, it seems like Yaz is for PMDD- irritability, bloating, acne, depressed mood, cramps, etc. Yasmin seemed to be more for acne, in addition to birth control. I'm asking the women of WhiteBlaze because I trust you more than the general internet public reviews.

I've read a lot of good and bad reviews, mainly bad side effects. Anyone use them?

I have been on Yasmin for almost 20 years on and off...since it was originally called dianette and had to be ordered from Canada.

Yasmin and yaz are nearly the same. Yaz has a lower dose of the estrogen component. They both have the same amount of drispiridone....which unlike other birth control pills lowers androgens in the female body (aka lowers your testosterone level) and has no effect on your progesterone levels. It is also to only BCP that completely stops ovulation at the ovaries and gets rid of ovarian cysts. It also clears up acne and doesn't cause you to gain weight on it. If you have excess body hair it makes that thin out too. My favorite good side effect is NO CRAMPS!!!

Now for the bad news. Not everyones bodies agree with yaz or yasmin. the drispirodone component has a potassium sparing direutic effect on the body. I got lucky...my potassium levels went low on the medication and all I had to do was switch my salt for a salt substitute containing potassium chloride. Some women have their potassium levels go up so you need to make sure you stay hydrated with water. Either way my doc checked my potassium levels every 6 months for the first 2 years I was on Yasmin. The wonky potassium levels give some women headaches for the first few months....but it goes away if you can stick it out. Most women don't realise that yasmin takes 3-6 months to get the body to adjust.

It takes 3-6 months to get used to the drispirdone component when it comes to mood swings. Those first few months are a roller coaster until your body adjusts. I could rip tree bark off a tree with my teeth the 5 of the 7 days I was taking the sugar pills to have my period the first few months...after that I was pretty mellow.
As for the other side effects it is the same as any other BCP on the market. There is a risk of blood clots (which is what the lawsuits are about) but that is for any BCP.

The other nice thing is that on long hikes you can just continue on the hormone containing pills and skip the sugar ones and you will not spot or bleed until you take the sugar pills for 7 days.

IF you would like more information you can check out this site....it compares all the BCP on the market and explains how they work and which ones help with what problem.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

SWS

Dogwood
01-06-2010, 02:34
As for the other side effects it is the same as any other BCP on the market. There is a risk of blood clots (which is what the lawsuits are about) but that is for any BCP.

Umm, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, most of all a woman's who is making decisions about BC, but the lawsuit alleges more than just hyperkalemia(high K levels) and a higher risk of blood clots. Heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, gall bladder disease, liver tumors, and breast and cervical cancer have also been cited as serious complications in the lawsuit. And, these complications are not just considerations in the lawsuit, but some medical practioners also have reservations about prescribing these forms of BC. Talk to your doctor!

Sleeps_With_Skunks
01-06-2010, 10:17
Umm, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, most of all a woman's who is making decisions about BC, but the lawsuit alleges more than just hyperkalemia(high K levels) and a higher risk of blood clots. Heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, gall bladder disease, liver tumors, and breast and cervical cancer have also been cited as serious complications in the lawsuit. And, these complications are not just considerations in the lawsuit, but some medical practioners also have reservations about prescribing these forms of BC. Talk to your doctor!

If you look...it is the same warning on all BCP on the market in the US. I was asked to be part of the lawsuit and declined. Either way you need to talk to your doctor, read up on what is out there, and make a well informed decision. No two pills work the same for all women. I have been on otho novum 1/35, ortho novum 7/7/7, Lo-ovral, ovral, mircette, yasmin, nuvaring, and the depo injection for PCOS since the age of 16. Of all of those the yasmin had the least bad side effects and the depo injection made me blow up like a sponge taking on water (80 lbs in a month).

As a side note...if you have a BMI over 25, don't do the ortho evra patch. I was at my docs when they tested it on several women in the clinic.....the "heavy" sexually active women all got pregnant due to not enough hormones got into their system. It was weird seeing 35 women all sitting around me on the patch and pregnant.

Pickleodeon
01-06-2010, 11:07
thanks everyone for the input so far. I'm not planning on using it while hiking. Did that already with the NuvaRing, I love it the Nuvaring because I didn't have to take a pill everyday, I was just interested in the benefits of yaz for PMDD, however, I've read a lot of side effect horror stories, which is why I asked about them. Thanks, any other input would be great, I'm still researching.

daylaandjasper
01-06-2010, 14:57
I took Ortho Novum 777 for years, including during my 2001 thruhike- I think cessation of periods while hiking is linked to your body fat falling below a certain level. so if you are already underweight this may happen- but I was overweight when I started so I doubt my periods would have stopped while hiking.

Saluka
01-09-2010, 02:33
If you are looking at BC mostly for helping PMDD have you looked at vitamin options to help?

I know of atleast 1 multivitamin on the market specifically for helping women with menstruation/hormone related difficulties.

I myself have severe mood swings (do more to psych issues than hormonal ones) but have been encouraged to take hormone regulating vitamins to help lessen the swings, though not eliminate them all together.

I can't tell you if it works though because I am terrible at taking stuff regularly but the multivitamin I've heard about is called Optivite. Could be worth trying this type of treatment instead of BC.

Just a thought,
Sal

traildust
01-09-2010, 14:24
Wasn't there a topic a month ago about sex on the trail and the concensus was that you are to tired to want sex unless you go to town? As my granny told my girlfriend years ago, "the best birth control is to keep your knees together".

trixie
01-09-2010, 15:18
I LOVED Yaz, loved it loved it loved it. I've probably been on 6 or 7 different types of pills before yaz. My skin cleared up more than on any other pill (had really bad acne before taking accutane), I didn't PMS like I did on other pills, my cramps were less (though still present), and my period went from 8 days to 3. I've been on various types of OCP for 12 years, and Yaz was my favorite. I decided 12 years was enough for me with taking oral contraceptives, so now I use mirena - the acne is back and so are the cramps, but my period has been reduced to spotting. I never used Yasmin though, so I can't compare it to Yaz. I would talk to your doc and see what works best for you :)

Sequoia
01-10-2010, 14:19
I cannot handle the side effects of birth control, any type I've tried has always made me fat and bitchy, lol, including YAZ.

I've used an IUD (non-hormonal) for about 3 years now and its worked great, no problems at all.

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 15:03
I have been using Yaz and Yasmin for the last two years and will be taking them on the trail with me. I have had no problems with them with acne or bloating or anything. My cramps have lessoned just a little while on them, but the have not gone away, unless I skip my period. But, I still get really 'sensative' right before my period. Like I get all weepy and stuff. But that is the only thing I have noticed.

Oh, and nice pic Hooch! I love it! :)

Jessica Cichowski
01-11-2010, 17:53
personally, i'm a lo-ovral user. i tried yasmin for 3 months a few years ago and i developed cystic acne over my cheek bones and towards my ears that was incredibly painful.

i have been taking 9-12 weeks of active pills of the lo-ovral (i skip the inactive/placebo week) for years now, so for me, i would take the pills with me on a thru-hike and really only end up with 1 period during the entire 6 months, and i would definitely use a diva cup or a keeper during that time.

and i would agree that the strain/stress/high physical activity would decrease some women's periods, but certainly not all women are equal.

some women don't have periods at all with the mirena IUD - only catch is you have to have it removed/replaced every 2-3 years, i believe.
I use this as well and so did the doctor who prescribed it to me. One period during the entire trail is definitely a plus and I have yet to have any problems with spotting or anything like that. Also, maybe this is just me, but I would not count on my periods going away with a thru-hike, who wants the rude awakening when it starts unexpectedly? yikes! I think that birth control is the best option for having your period be at a time when you expect it because chances are that the stress of the thru-hike will alter your natural cycle at least a little bit.

Rhapsodist
01-11-2010, 20:24
i've talked to a OBGYN about this and here are the facts, coupled with my experience.

DR'S ADVICE
YAz is great if it works for you. There is no harm in skipping your inactive pill week. The only reason we HAVE to have periods while on the pill is because the Roman catholic Church thinks going without a period is unholy. The only disadvantage is that you go thru more pills(money). Also, once you've used the pill for a little while, you may not even HAVE your period in your off-week because the "low-dose" delivery of YAZ is less dramatic than the traditional pill (though it works just as well).

MY EXPERIENCE

YAZ is the best BC ever (for me). I have no pain, no periods, no acne. The low dose really works for me because it isn't harsh on my system (though I freaked out when I hadn't had my period for four months). It works very well, and is covered by most insurance. I do not know about yasmine. never tried it.

THE ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY IS NEVER GO WITH GENERIC BIRTH CONTROL IF YOU CAN HELP IT. This is one of the very few times i would argue that the brand name matters.

sarbar
01-12-2010, 12:42

The Mirena IUD is good for 5 years. It contains hormones. It is also better for women who have had children before, as are all IUDS. This is because the cervix is so tightly closed on women who have not experienced childbirth - to insert an IUD your cervix must be dilated a tiny bit. Which again, is not very painful at all if you have had a kid.

The Paraguard IUD has no hormones and is good for 10 years. It does not control bleeding nor cramping but is the best form of reversible non-hormone BC on the market for those in a monogamous relationship.

IUD's should NEVER be used by those not in a committed relationship or who have multiple partners. If you get an STD and it gets bad it can lead to scarring in your tubes! This is one reason why the IUD is rarely offered to single women with no kids.

The IUD is a fantastic form of BC - if a person fits the bill that is.

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 12:59
Hmm… I’m just going to deal with my period on trail. I just don’t know how much it could change. (I don’t like the idea of birth control or any potential side effects) My cramps are usually really bad, but if I take Ibuprofin right away, usually I’ll be okay.

Manwich
01-12-2010, 13:36
Firstly, I submit my "I know I'm a man but I'm not trolling" evidence here (http://imgur.com/o8PFF.jpg). (Pic of my Wife's Pills and an ATC map)

She took Yasmin for 2-3 years and then since it came out, Ocella, the generic of Yasmin (For About a Year Now)

She had terrible "I'm not leaving my bed and heating pad today" cramps which did cripple her for days on end and now we've pretty much forgotten about them. With Exception to Cystic Acne (which was very prevalent before she was on the pill, it might actually reduce if she'd quit pickin!) all her PMDD symptoms, spotting were eliminated. She doesn't skip the placebo week frankly because we'd need to pay 25% more a year. She did gain about 10-15lbs but that also because she changed (quit) her exercise habits because of work.

THE ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY IS NEVER GO WITH GENERIC BIRTH CONTROL IF YOU CAN HELP IT. This is one of the very few times i would argue that the brand name matters.

Since we're uninsured americans, she's switched to the generic which is immensely cheaper, and she's actually remarked that it has decreased her bloating feeling. The doctor said they should be chemically identical and any "Don't Use Generic!" sentiment is likely caused by paranoia, psychosomaticism or Big-Pharma social propaganda. They go through the same FDA testing the brand name pills do and the only difference is that the Brand no longer has exclusive rights to the production (and exclusive pricing!)

Like anything else, YMMV.

sarbar
01-12-2010, 14:11
Exercise is one of the best things for period cramps....in all honesty! It improves moods, gets fresh air in the old lungs and helps with bloating.

Just sayin'! :D

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 14:13
Exercise is one of the best things for period cramps....in all honesty! It improves moods, gets fresh air in the old lungs and helps with bloating.

Just sayin'! :D

You mean, like hiking? :D

sarbar
01-12-2010, 19:56
You mean, like hiking? :D

Yep :banana

Hehheh!

Not Sunshine
01-12-2010, 20:18
Wasn't there a topic a month ago about sex on the trail and the concensus was that you are to tired to want sex unless you go to town? As my granny told my girlfriend years ago, "the best birth control is to keep your knees together".

yeah, i agree with your granny. i think the majority of the ladies on here are referring to the benefits of regular/expected menses and decreasing menstrual cramping....not preventing pregnancy. not to even mention today's risk of STI's - that aside from being in the WOODS for a week at a time. :p gross.

for the guys reading these posts, i hope you're not getting the impression we're lookin' for trail loving. don't want to mislead. :rolleyes:

Pickleodeon
01-12-2010, 20:31
Thanks Ladies, as I've mentioned, I used NuvaRing for my thruhike, and loved it. I was great not having to take a pill everyday. I also used the DivaCup which I discovered here on WB. I still got a period on the trail, but not much of one and don't really have much of one in general (off the trail).

I was just curious about the side effects of Yaz, Yasmin because there have been a bunch of class action lawsuits because of them. A very close friend developed liver tumors (they're not cancerous as of now) and I've heard other horror stories live pulmonary elmbolism, liver problems, kidney stones and other kidney problems.
I'm mainly interested in Yaz in particular because of the PMDD help.
Thanks, any other input is welcome.

sarbar
01-12-2010, 23:54
Use your BC...my husband has to listen to me whine as I waddle down the trail currently :D Oh wait, he can jog ahead if he wants....lol!

Manwich
01-13-2010, 01:40
for the guys reading these posts, i hope you're not getting the impression we're lookin' for trail loving. don't want to mislead. :rolleyes:

Seriously, The two last things on my mind as I'm hiking: Exposing my nasty privates to a girl in close quarters, and being exposed to a girls nasty privates in close quarters.

Boobs, as usual, are on the complete opposite of the spectrum..

GalHikingTheGap
01-16-2010, 08:05
You might consider Mirena IUD. Check out the LJ community IUD Divas. It's good for 5 years and has only progesterone. The Paragard IUD is the gold standard in the USA (my momma had one, and now me and my twin sister do) and lasts 10-12 years.

L

weary
01-25-2010, 19:34
double post

weary
01-25-2010, 20:34
Well, the latter option certainly works everytime it is used. But it is wrong to assume that many hikers are too tired on the trail for sex. A few of us, however, from time to time may end up too tired to bother seeking it.

Pickleodeon
01-26-2010, 11:39
hey, thanks for reading the original post.

I asked about birth control, not sex on the trail. I already hiked the trail. I just wanted to know the opinions of women on WB who have used YAZ. That's it.