PDA

View Full Version : Florida Newbie Here

bus
01-05-2010, 19:34
Hello

A Florida Newbie here saying ''Hi!''. More like a Florida At Wanna Be. I hope to hike a a few sections this Summer and early Fall. Not sure where yet, but somewhere in NC/TN area...

Any of you guys from East Central Florida?

moytoy
01-05-2010, 19:55
I live in Titusville and work in Ocala. I was born and raised in Maryville Tn so the AT is my playground. I have done a lot of hiking on the FT. I am new to this forum also so I don't really know any of the other central FL members but there are a few who post here. Welcome to the forum!

jnanagardener
01-05-2010, 20:53
Hey Florida people! I live in Palm Harbor, in west central Florida (Pinellas County) north of Clearwater. There are lots of great hikes in that section. We just hiked from Carver's Gap over the balds (Round Bald, Jane Bald, Grassy Ridge), then further north. Pretty amazing. Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

GooseMan
01-05-2010, 21:42
OBUSO,

I am from Melbourne and did my first hike in November from Springer to Dick's Creek Gap. It was awesome and I am ready to continue from there (Trip Report (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56282)). I hope to go from DCG to NOC sometime late summer. Maybe we can meet up for that hike.

bus
01-05-2010, 22:01
GooseMan, you are just across the river from me. Do yu go to the local Florida Trail meetings?

Brandt, the wife and I were up in NC during Christmas. We drove up to Carvers Gap parked and hiked up to the top of the hill on the right side of the road ( across from the Carvers Gap sign). Do you know what Mountain or Bald that one is?

jnanagardener
01-05-2010, 23:01
If you hike due north from Carver's Gap, you are climbing Round Bald (elevation circa 5800 feet). After that it's Jane Bald. Continue climbing and you venture off the AT up Grassy Ridge (about 6000 feet). Hike back down to the AT and into the woods. In June the balds are supposed to be stunning stunning with various flower blooms.

Gray Blazer
01-06-2010, 12:42
:welcome

Come meet some FL WBers at Etoniah Creek State Forest on Jan 29 and 30.

oldmanhiker
01-06-2010, 14:25
I live in Oldsmar, just down Tampa Road from you. This past summer I hiked Springer to Dicks Creek Gap like Goose and was completely wowed by the experience. Actually hiked the approach trail from the Falls and stopped at Foote Hiker Inn for a couple of days on the way. They let me work in the kitchen for a room. What a blast that was. I was completely unprepared, ie, equipment, clothing, conditioning, but somehow trudged along. Met really kool people and all in all had a grand experience. So much so that I have been accumulating correct equipment and clothes and have been hiking parts of the FL Trail in preperation for a thru hike starting in March if the creeks don't rise and life doesn't get in the way. See you on the trail

Hikes in Rain
01-06-2010, 15:28
I'm way the heck over in the Panhandle. But I've hiked from Springer to I-40. Hope to start from there again later this year. Got so much new lightweight gear lately that my old external pack is now the heaviest thing I carry!

zeus307
01-06-2010, 16:08
I am from Eagle Lake, Florida. I have section hike part of the AT starting as Springer and will be going back this year. I do a lot of weekend and 3 day hike localy and in central Florida. Let me know if you in the area.

chiefduffy
01-06-2010, 20:34
I'm in JAX, and have sectioned most of Springer to Penmar on the AT. I managed probably a 120 miles or so of the FT last winter. I love the AT, and get up there every chance I get.

- Duffy

Sailor (The other one)
01-06-2010, 20:49
I'm in Bartow, where tonight farmers are trying to keep their fruit and vegetables from freezing. My wife Mudpie and I have been on the AT in Georgia three times and intend to thru someday. Done several trips here in Florida, mostly Myakka River State Park and the Green Swamp.
Welcome to White Blaze. It's a nearly endless source of great information, helpful people and occassional family squabbles.

healthymom
01-06-2010, 21:36
Hi Obuso!
Welcome to White Blaze!:welcome
There are many Floridians on this site. I'm in west central Fl. There are several (4?, more?) of us who are planning thru hikes for '11.
My son and I hike the FT quite a bit. We were planning to hike this weekend, but realized we don't have the right gear for the temps we'll be seeing.
We're looking at doing a chunk of ONF around Spring Break.
Hope to see you on the trail!
Dee
healthymom

svlc22
01-07-2010, 17:58
Hi Obuso!

Am am another Floridian here to say howdy, I'm in the Tampa Bay area myself. I have had the chance to do some day hikes on the AT in SMNP, SNP, and up at Baxter State Park. Good luck with the sections you are planning if they live up to everything I've read you should have a blast.

I myself am planning a thru for 2011 so maybe I'll see you around NC/TN this summer or fall on one of my shakedown hikes.

:sun

Gray Blazer
01-07-2010, 19:47
Everybody come and campout or just visit FT Iron Bridge Shelter FL WB get together/Big Foot vigil Jan 29,30, 31.

Rocket
01-09-2010, 16:46
Everybody come and campout or just visit FT Iron Bridge Shelter FL WB get together/Big Foot vigil Jan 29,30, 31.

sounds like a great way to try out some new gear. how about some more info on this GB. something i'd be interested in...close to home!

bus
01-09-2010, 17:49
speaking of Big Foot ( Skunk Ape to some of us).

http://www.brownbusproductions.com/video/skunk.htm

hey Rocket, I work same place you do.

Rocket
01-09-2010, 17:58
speaking of Big Foot ( Skunk Ape to some of us).

http://www.brownbusproductions.com/video/skunk.htm

hey Rocket, I work same place you do.

Cool. I'm an OPF'er. How about you?

Gray Blazer
01-09-2010, 19:16
sounds like a great way to try out some new gear. how about some more info on this GB. something i'd be interested in...close to home!

There is a whole thread about this, but, here goes...

What: FL WB Get Together/Big Foot Vigil bckpacking campout.

Who: Gray Blazer and friends and Family and whoever wants to come

When: Jan 29-31

Where: Iron Bridge Selter area on FT. Trailhead (one and one half miles in) Off Holloway Road off Higway 100 in between Keystone Heights and Palatka.

It's supposed to be about 20 tonite so I'm testing some gear tonite.

Bump, Slow, are you coming?

stumpknocker
01-09-2010, 19:59

I would have loved to come out for that weekend, but I'm heading up to Amicalola Falls to walk a few days on the AT and make sure my ol' buddy Chief gets pointed in the right direction. He just has too much trouble getting it right when he's all by himself. :)

I'm also living in west central Florida in the Spring Hill area.

lilricky
01-11-2010, 22:17
Hi fellow Floridians! I live in Kissimmee and plan on hitting the AT sometime early to mid March 2010. Can't wait until we get the Florida Trail off the streets and into more forest so we can join the AT. I know, there are many people who are against joining it, but hey, I cant wait to hike from Big Cypress to Katahdin!

Ladytrekker
01-11-2010, 22:26
:welcome

Come meet some FL WBers at Etoniah Creek State Forest on Jan 29 and 30.

We are hiking Etoniah this Sunday the 17th. Darn I would be there but am hiking Cumberland on the 30th and 31st. But my group is the Florida Trekkers (www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers (http://www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers)). Would love to meet some WB members we are going to do springer to neals in May and then go from there.

jnanagardener
01-11-2010, 22:43
Heyfljj48. Thanks for the great time on Saturday at Paynes Prairie. Hope your camping went well.

Mountain Wildman
01-12-2010, 00:33
Hi everyone,
I am new here and have just been reading and not much posting.
I have lived in Florida but that was in 1992 in Titusville in a apartment I believe was call Garden Street Apartments.
Anyway, Now I live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
It's a toasty 3 degrees right now.