PDA

View Full Version : meteor bivy + epic???

copythat
09-08-2004, 22:31
i see talk of homemade bivies but few posts from people who've actually made 'em. how come? scary? more work than it's worth? unnecessary? fear of alien abduction?

i want one for tarp/shelter use. (bivy, not alien.)

in fact, i'm interested in making a 6moons meteor bivy and i'm looking for tips and advice and warnings and a cheering section and the rosetta stone and spare change and the keys to your car and whatever.
should i make full-size patterns? use epic on top? no? pertex quantum? (can't find pertex quantum.) taped seams? french seams? stapled seams? elmer's? paper clips and chewing gum?

any advice welcome! thanks!!!

my name is sailor boy and i approved this message YEEEHAAA!!!!!!

titanium_hiker
01-16-2005, 22:01
trash bag worked for me... ;)

no but seriously go for it... or make your own design off the top of your head. FUN!

titanium_hiker

DebW
01-17-2005, 14:14
I made a bivy that works around a hammock or on the ground. And a double bivy and single bivy years ago. Pretty easy sewing project, and you can do lots of variations. My recent bivy turned out to be 22 oz with a ripstop nylon bottom and recycled goretex top. I wasn't really going for lightweight at the time, but may make another someday for this purpose. I'd do felled (french) seams and attempt to keep the seams off the ground. Any wp/breathable top will give you condensation inside under some conditions. Quantum top would be great if you can find the fabric. Don't bother with a pattern, just get the dimensions based on your sleeping bag and pad. Then decide if you want an open face area or fabric covered or netting, and how the opening will be designed (side zip, shoulder level zip, overlapping flaps only). I prefer side zip 1/2 length with no face covering. If you want netting, you may need stake loops so you can hang the netting taughtly.

I suppose the most important question is: Do I really use my bivy? Answer: No, mostly because of the weight (22 oz). If the weight were under 8 oz and I planned to tarp frequently, then I would. Bivies are generally unnecessary in shelters.

hungryhowie
01-17-2005, 15:44
What is your purpose for making the bivy? Do you want extra warmth, increased weather protection (i.e. misting inside the tent), or bug protection?

In my opinion, the only reason you'd want to use a solid farbic bivy (i.e. the top made from epic or 1.1oz nylon) is for additional warmth. As far as weather protection goes, your tarp/shelter should provide you all of the protection against precipitation that you need.

All of the bivies I've made have been mainly for bug protection. Surprisingly, they do actually trap a little heat, though. They've been designed with a small end just wide enough for the sleeping pad(s) and just tall enough for the sleeping bag(s), and expanding into an A-shape at the head for headroom. I have one "suspension" point at the apex that clips to the underside of my tarps, but can also be tied to a nail in a shelter for use in one of those.

-howie

Pencil Pusher
01-17-2005, 18:01
Go have an epileptic epic in your homemade bivy and then tell us all how good it was. Aka: Just do it.

titanium_hiker
01-17-2005, 18:38
Just do it. :) go for it, reach for the fabric, conquer the sewing machine, make a bivy. :)

and tell us how it went.