PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag ratings

Gramps
01-06-2010, 04:43
:-? With the very cold temps we have had of late here in the south (all you Yankees,sshhhhh....) has got me to thinking. My thought process for a thru-hike beginning mid-March on has been to begin with a 20 degree bag and change out once it warms up. As I know it does get cold in the GA and NC mts. begs the question. Is a 20 degree bag warm enough in most cases? I always adhere to the adage "prepare for the worst and the rest will take care of itself". I sleep better cold, but there is that fine line where too much cold doesn't cut it either and Idon't like going to bed bundled up like an eskimo. What do most of you experienced folks do?

Egads
01-06-2010, 08:19
most nights - yes, some nights - no

bigcranky
01-06-2010, 08:22
I think the right 20-F bag would work, as long as you were willing to wear clothing to bed when necessary (and you had the right clothing.) If it were me, and I only wanted to wear, say, long johns to bed, I'd bring my 5-F bag for a mid-March start.

nitewalker
01-06-2010, 08:32
i agree with bigcranky on this one. i was down there at springer mtn the very start of march last year and the temps were down in the single digits. i had a 20* bag that needed a boost from the extra 45* bag that i brought just for extra protection. i belive the daytime temp hovered around 20* for 3 days or so. soon as we headed home the temps started to warm some but then the trip was over....

bigcranky
01-06-2010, 10:48
I was at Springer the second week of March last year, when it was pushing 70 during the day, and never got below freezing. I carried my 30-F bag for the week and was perfectly warm

The point is that a section hiker can pick and choose the right bag and clothing based on the weather forecast. The thru-hiker can't. Given that, I would carry my winter bag through mid-April if I were to thru-hike.

Daydream Believer
01-06-2010, 10:53
What about taking a Thermolite liner? We used those this past week om GA when it got very cold, and they really helped our 20F bags be more comfy. They are very light also and don't add much weight.

Spokes
01-06-2010, 10:58
You'll be more than fine. Consider a silk liner and all the extra clothes you're carrying as back-up.

schnikel
01-06-2010, 14:46
I was at Springer the second week of March last year, when it was pushing 70 during the day, and never got below freezing. I carried my 30-F bag for the week and was perfectly warm

The point is that a section hiker can pick and choose the right bag and clothing based on the weather forecast. The thru-hiker can't. Given that, I would carry my winter bag through mid-April if I were to thru-hike.
I was out there around the same time, March 19. Beautiful weather!! Boy we got lucky. I heard the 2 weeks prior was crampy like nitewalker experienced.
Just goes to show how unpredictable the weather is in GA in the spring! I agree that a 20*bag should be okay, especially with a liner and good sleeping clothes.
Schnikel

300winmag
01-06-2010, 23:13
Carry the 20 deg bag (IF it is a true 20 deg. bag) and mid or polar weight long johns & down jacket. Don't forget a good balaclava.
If you need more on yer legs put on yer hiking pants over the long johns.

bigcranky
01-07-2010, 08:59
There are a lot of responses of "use the 20-F bag and wear all your clothes to bed." Fine and true and all, but the original poster specifically said he doesn't like wearing all his clothes to bed. Given that, I still think for a mid-March start a 20-F bag isn't enough. I'd take my winter bag.

Gramps
01-07-2010, 18:56
Thanks to all for your opinions. Since my thru-hike is still a few years away, I hope to experiment with several overnight hikes in various types of weather and see what works for me. Although I stated I don't want to be an eskimo in the bag, I don't mind some clothing, so I try various set-ups. Heck, if I wasn't recovering from knee surgery now, I might be tempted to give it a whirl in the backyard , as we're having low to mid teens at night now. Again, thanks to all.

bigcranky
01-07-2010, 22:53
What, you can't crawl outside with your sleeping bag to take advantage of the perfect testing conditions? :sun

Hope the knee heals up quickly for you and you can get back on the trail soon.

tammons
01-07-2010, 23:17
I just spent a few nights in a golite ultra 20 in 14dF temps on 2 CCF pads, heavy johns and super thick wool socks.

If it is a true 20dF raiting bag go for it but test it out first. This cold snap we are in right now is a good time to do that.

My comment would be in addition to the bag take some good ground insul. Just as if not more important than the bag. Dont skimp on that.

Take a MYOG tyvek bivy. That will add 5-10dF and should help with condensation.
Take heavy johns to sleep in.
Take a hooded insul parka or a jacket with an insul balacava.
Take some insul pants. I got a pair at the salvation army for $4, that weigh 15 oz.
Take either super heavy wool socks or down booties.
Take a driducks rain suit as an additional breathable layer.
All that with a true 20dF bag and a proper R value pad should take you down yp or past 0dF and should be a safe winter setup.

Outrider
01-13-2010, 09:49
Tammons,

I have been looking at the Golite Ultra 20. How do you like it? What are the pro's and con's?

Thanks

tammons
01-13-2010, 11:16
I have not used it much.

Hmm, I cant really think of many negatives for me except it would be nice if you could order one with a few extra ounces of down so it was overstuffed.
Maybe you can I dont know.

Also it would be impossible to open up to add more down due to the way it is built.
I did not care for the straps
Typical down bag issues, condensation etc.

Price is not too bad.
It seems to have very high quality down and breaths very well.
I actuallly think I could use it drapped for an entire thru even in the summer.
I can sleep in it nude with my feet in the box at about 70dF.
Packs extremely small. You could even toss this thing in a day pack.
Dont know how you could get it any lighter.
I am 6-3 and a long fits me fine.
Talked to a guy that used his inside a MB SS bag the other day successfully so
that is an option, IE put it inside a #4, 5 or 7 as an extender.
Inside an UL 800 SS #5 long the entire rig would weigh 2# 10 oz and should be good for me down to 0dF. The MB #5 does not have a zipper baffle. The #4 does. Inside the #4 it would weigh 3# and be good for probably another 5dF.

Cant think of much else. I have read of some people getting underfilled bags. Just make sure you get a good return policy. It took mine a long time to loft up the first time, but I get a solid 2.5" loft.

Outrider
01-13-2010, 12:36
I have not used it much.

Hmm, I cant really think of many negatives for me except it would be nice if you could order one with a few extra ounces of down so it was overstuffed.
Maybe you can I dont know.

Also it would be impossible to open up to add more down due to the way it is built.
I did not care for the straps
Typical down bag issues, condensation etc.

Price is not too bad.
It seems to have very high quality down and breaths very well.
I actuallly think I could use it drapped for an entire thru even in the summer.
I can sleep in it nude with my feet in the box at about 70dF.
Packs extremely small. You could even toss this thing in a day pack.
Dont know how you could get it any lighter.
I am 6-3 and a long fits me fine.
Talked to a guy that used his inside a MB SS bag the other day successfully so
that is an option, IE put it inside a #4, 5 or 7 as an extender.
Inside an UL 800 SS #5 long the entire rig would weigh 2# 10 oz and should be good for me down to 0dF. The MB #5 does not have a zipper baffle. The #4 does. Inside the #4 it would weigh 3# and be good for probably another 5dF.

Cant think of much else. I have read of some people getting underfilled bags. Just make sure you get a good return policy. It took mine a long time to loft up the first time, but I get a solid 2.5" loft.

Thanks for the info!

300winmag
01-14-2010, 23:47
1. zip up yer parka & put it over the foot of yer bag
2. Always wear a warm balaclava to bed
3. wear 2 layers of sox to bed, one medium, one thick
4. wear down or synthetic insulating layer to bed. (This made my WM Megalite 30 F. bag good to 18 F. last October.)
5. Forget "jumping jacks" The effect lasts all of 15
minutes.
6. Put a thin fleece bandana over yer nose, bandit style. A warm nose is a boon to a good night's sleep. Plus it warms your incoming air so you lose less moisture and dont't get as thirsty toward morning.
7. Use a thin closed cell pad beneath yer Thermarest
8. Eat high calorie snacks like cookies or bread just before bed and during the night if you begin to chill. It's "fuel for the furnace" - truly.
9.Wear light gloves or glove liners. This actually helps a lot.

Have fun!
Eric

Cuffs
01-15-2010, 02:19
News flash! As of right now, any maufacturer can slap on a stamp with any degree rating they want. there is no standard for testing these ratings (in the US). (that's why some of us may have been freezing our tails off in so-called 20* bags in 40* weather!)

The European nations DO have standardized testing and bags must meet them to be labeled with specific degree rating info. This testing is called EN13537.

Recently, many large retailers took a position and stated to the manufacturers that if they want their bag sold in their stores, they will have to meet this EN13537 testing standard.

That being said, new bags being sold in the US are clearly tagged with this info. You will see many of the old standard bags that we all know by brand and model either get revamped to meet this standard or disappear altogether.

Marmot and a couple other major makers are already meeting this and their bags are clearly marked.

If you can wait a bit, wait til all the new bags hit the market over the next 6 months or so...

JAK
01-15-2010, 02:34
I always try to hike with enough for the worst a month has to offer, regardless of weather forecasts.

Also, bag ratings alone are only part of the story, because the bag is part of a system.
The system can also includes clothing, pad, bivy, shelter, breathing system, hot water bottles, and of course, you.

You have to test your system. Now is a great time of year to do that.