PDA

View Full Version : Circuit or Nimbus Ozone

LimpsAlong
01-06-2010, 09:00
Another one getting that pack weight down. I've read all I can find here about the ULA Circuit and the GG Nimbus Ozone, the two I've narrowed it down to. I can't carry much weight on my shoulders because of nerve damage so does that rule out the ULA even w/the aluminum stay?
I've read so much about the questionable durability of the GG packs but it looks like GG has addressed and fixed this?
My pack weight will be 29-33 lbs total.
Input appreciated.

Schuetzen
01-06-2010, 09:53
I can't speak about the Circuit but my Catalyst fully loaded at about 33# has almost no weight on my shoulders. The shoulder straps stabilize the pack and thats about it. It is very comfortable.

skinewmexico
01-06-2010, 12:09
My Circuit with the aluminum stay carries 30# well, all on the hip belt. Great pack, great service. I was having trouble getting the load lifters adjusted properly, and sent an email with a question. Casey called my cell phone to walk me thru the proper adjustment. Hard to beat service like that. I think my Circuit fits better than my Catalyst. Great thing about cottage industries is calling and talking to the owner, and having a pack made in the USA. I know Granite Gear packs are highly respected by some people I respect, so I can't say anything negative about them. They're probably more adjustable too (depending on the model).

Kerosene
01-06-2010, 12:57
I'm a long-time satisfied owner of the Nimbus Ozone (7 years, about 900 miles). I typically carry about 26 pounds total, but I've comfortably carried about 32 pounds for multi-day cold-weather camping. The pack is highly adjustable, especially for a lightweight pack (48 ounces), although I wouldn't go so far as saying that there is no weight on the shoulders. I comfortably carry the pack for up to 12 hours a day, frequently for 2-3 hours at a stretch.

I originally looked at ULA and would've probably gone with them except that they had a significant production backlog at the time. I don't think you can go wrong with either pack, but I'd probably pick the smaller/lighter pack.

FamilyGuy
01-06-2010, 13:43
I've owned both the Ozone and the Circuit. The Circuit has more features and was lighter, but I had some minor durability issues with it. No durability issues with the Ozone. I found the Ozone more comfortable because I was able to swap out the belt and shoulder harness (which is also adjustable in 1" increments) for an almost custom fit, minimizing the weight on the shoulders. Both packs are very nice, but for the customization, I prefered the Ozone.

pyroman53
12-01-2010, 10:50
I fill up the main body of the Ozone (not extesion collar) when I load up with gear and 5 days food. Would the same volume fit in Circuit?

FamilyGuy
12-01-2010, 12:22
I replied to your PM.

Don H
12-01-2010, 13:51
I own both and I'm still trying to decide which one to take for my thru this coming March. I think the Ozone will carry more weight. The Ozone has thicker, more comfortable shoulder pads but is a pound heavier. I guess I'll decide when I get a final pack weight. I do expect my pack weight to be reduced after the first 6 weeks due sending cold weather gear home. Maybe I'll use the Circuit then.

rsmall
12-01-2010, 17:58
I switched to the Ozone from a heavier pack during my through hike in 2005. I found it to be very comfortable and, with proper adjustment (and tightening the waist belt appropriately), had virtually no weight on my shoulders. I enjoyed it for over 1000 miles with no problems. This included cold weather loads that weighed over 35 pounds during the last six weeks of my hike. When I got home I found the waist belt had a rip. I contacted Granite Gear and they replaced it quickly at no cost. A great pack.

pyroman53
12-01-2010, 18:13
Thanks for the feedback. I love my Ozone but I'm after that one pound weight savings. I have a light enough load for either to carry, but some of my stuff is light but bulky. With a full food bag I fill up the main body of the Ozone but without needing the extension collar. If I were to switch to the Circuit, will the Circuit carry about that same volume? Mrs. Santa might just bring me one for Xmas.

pafarmboy
12-01-2010, 18:39
Love my Circuit. First few times I used it, I kept checking around the area when I left.....thought I left something behind cause the pack felt so light on my back.

STICK
12-01-2010, 19:07
I know the feeling. I am getting another pack next spring. Both of these are in mind, as well as the:

Osprey Exos 58 (Lighter than the GG NO and has the same capacity but offers more "options")
SMD StarLite (half the weight of the GG NO and a little less expensive. Also has lots of options.)
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus (Again, much lighter, less expensive, more options)

Of course I have considered the ULA Catalyst too. It seems to be closer to the GG NO in terms of weight, size and $$$. I have also considered the REI Flash 50 or 65.

And then there are the McHales...

Anyway, good luck in whichever you choose. If you are able I would try to get to a store and try each of them on. See which one fits best and also which one holds your gear best.

Don H
12-01-2010, 21:09
I get the same amount of gear in either one but the Ozone only ever seemed 3/4 full where the Circuit was full.

Kerosene
12-01-2010, 21:33
I have also considered the REI Flash 50 or 65.
See if you can fit your gear into a Flash 50. It's a surprisingly nice and lightweight pack. Just make sure that it fits you correctly.

STICK
12-01-2010, 23:16
See if you can fit your gear into a Flash 50. It's a surprisingly nice and lightweight pack. Just make sure that it fits you correctly.

My next door neighbor owns a 65 and he is happy with it.

runfifty
12-01-2010, 23:38
I'll put in another vote for the Nimbus Ozone. I carried it my entire thru hike this year and it still looked almost brand new. I took it back to the store and showed them how well it held up. Carried great, too. I had a base weight of 25-27 pounds but ended up near 40 pounds at times, including food and water. I averaged 20 miles a day and the pack never felt heavy.

skinewmexico
12-02-2010, 01:07
This zombie thread coming back to life makes me want to get on my high horse about buying quality products made in the USA.

Bucherm
12-02-2010, 05:53
This zombie thread coming back to life makes me want to get on my high horse about buying quality products made in the USA.

Yeah but at least you have a good view.

bumpass
12-12-2010, 22:50
+1 Ozone user. Was so happy with mine, got hubby a used one also.

unclemjm
12-16-2010, 15:29
+ 1 more on the Nimbus Ozone

If you didn't see it, E2E has some on clearance with the link on this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67322).

Phreak
12-16-2010, 15:58
I can't speak for the Circuit but I've been using the Nimbus Ozone for the past few years. It's my favorite pack for loads over 30 pounds.

Kerosene
12-17-2010, 08:42
I can't speak for the Circuit but I've been using the Nimbus Ozone for the past few years. It's my favorite pack for loads over 30 pounds.And it rides like a dream at weights below 30 pounds!

HeartFire
12-17-2010, 22:17
I'm another fan of the GG nimbus ozone. I wore out my first one and am on my second one. I've been told that GG is totally redesigning them for 2011, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Phreak
12-17-2010, 23:07
And it rides like a dream at weights below 30 pounds!
True, but I use the Vapor Trail for loads under 30 pounds.

skinewmexico
12-18-2010, 01:18
Yeah but at least you have a good view.

Yep, the view sucks.

STICK
12-19-2010, 18:28
I'm another fan of the GG nimbus ozone. I wore out my first one and am on my second one. I've been told that GG is totally redesigning them for 2011, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

When I spoke to GG earlier this year about the 2011 models they said it would weigh a little more and probably have a little higher price tag on them. She did not give me details as to what or why though. She said the 2011 model specs would have been available to view on their site by now, but last time I looked they were not. Anyway, she said they would be available for sale Feb 2011.

I really wanted one of these for a while. I went back and forth between a few packs. I think the thing that changed my view on the GG packs is that they backs can get real hot and sweat alot. I know this is true because my wife has one. Still though...I wouldn't mind trying one...

But, the other night I finally pulled the trigger on one. It was down to the wire with the ULA Circuit and the SMD Starlite. I went with the ULA. At least for now. If it doesn't suit me right I will return it and try the Starlite.

Probably my next two packs are the Osprey Exos 58 and the GG NO.