PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak to Bear Mt?

10-K
01-06-2010, 17:05
Has anyone made the trip from Penn Station to Bear Mt?

I'm looking at Amtrak to get myself to Bear Mt. in May and it looks like Penn Station is the closest Amtrak gets to BM...

When I was hiking that section last month I crossed a road somewhere that had a sign that said, "New York City 34 Miles" so is it beyond the realm of reason to take a cab - or is there a better way to get to the trail from Penn Station / NYC?

Never rode a train before but Amtrak has a terminal 80 miles from home.. I'm sure my wife would rather drive me there than to NY. :)

It's only $86 for a one way ticket - can't beat that either.

YoungMoose
01-06-2010, 17:19
You can take Amtrak to penn station then take the Hudson line of metro north. THat stops at peekskill. THen you can take a taxi which would only be like 20 minute drive from bear mountian. heres the link http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

10-K
01-06-2010, 17:30
It looks like once you get to Penn Station you have to go to Grand Central to catch the Hudson line - what's that like?

YoungMoose
01-06-2010, 17:33
ITs easy. You could take the subway which would probably be cheaper and faster. Or you can take a taxi. They are expensive though. The subway is decent. Not the worst. I have onyl been on it a couple times. I dont know the schedule but i think there are trains like every 10minutes at a spot. I would suggest that.

10-K
01-06-2010, 17:42
It'd be an interesting trip... You'd about have to wear the clothes you were going to hike in on the train to avoid trying to figure out what to do with street clothes once you get to the trail.

I can see me now, strolling around NYC wearing hiking clothes with a fuly loaded backpack and my hiking poles - that'd be a sight for sure.

Panzer1
01-06-2010, 17:43
ITs easy. You could take the subway which would probably be cheaper and faster. Or you can take a taxi. They are expensive though. The subway is decent. Not the worst. I have onyl been on it a couple times. I dont know the schedule but i think there are trains like every 10minutes at a spot. I would suggest that.

Once I took the taxi but rush hour traffic was so heavy that I could have literally walked it faster. I missed my train and had to take the next one that got me into "Appalachian Trail Train Station" just at dark. bummer(but still better than working at Colonial Penn Life insurance). Had to start off my hike in the dark. Next time I will walk.

Panzer

10-K
01-06-2010, 17:46
Once I took the taxi but rush hour traffic was so heavy that I could have literally walked it faster. I missed my train and had to take the next one that got me into "Appalachian Trail Train Station" just at dark. bummer(but still better than working at Colonial Penn Life insurance). Had to start off my hike in the dark. Next time I will walk.

Panzer

Are you saying that you took a taxi from Penn to Grand Central during rush hour? How far is it?

Yahtzee
01-06-2010, 17:54
Three options to get from Penn Station to Grand Central.

1. Take Subway Trains 1, 2, or 3 uptown one stop to Times Square. Get out and follow the signs for S (stands for shuttle) this will take to you Grand Central.

or

2. Walk the ten blocks from Penn Station to Times Square and then take the S

or

3. Walk the .08 of a mile to Grand Central from Penn Station.

You can take the Hudson line to Peekskill and then take a cab from there to whereever you would like to hop on. Its 5 or 6 miles in either direction to Bear Mt. or north of Graymoor.

There is a stop within walking distance of the AT at Manitou, north of Peekskill, but it only stops there once a weekday.

Yahtzee
01-06-2010, 17:56
What is "Appalachian Trail Train Station"?

Are you saying that you took a taxi from Penn to Grand Central during rush hour? How far is it?

Never, I repeat, never, take a taxi crosstown in NYC. It is a fool's choice. Uptown or downtown, taxis are smooth and worth it if you are in a rush. Crosstown? NEVER.

10-K
01-06-2010, 17:57
Three options to get from Penn Station to Grand Central.

1. Take Subway Trains 1, 2, or 3 uptown one stop to Times Square. Get out and follow the signs for S (stands for shuttle) this will take to you Grand Central.

or

2. Walk the ten blocks from Penn Station to Times Square and then take the S

or

3. Walk the .08 of a mile to Grand Central from Penn Station.

You can take the Hudson line to Peekskill and then take a cab from there to whereever you would like to hop on. Its 5 or 6 miles in either direction to Bear Mt. or north of Graymoor.

There is a stop within walking distance of the AT at Manitou, north of Peekskill, but it only stops there once a weekday.

Ok... I've got a plan...

Amtrak to Penn Station, walk the .08 to Grand Central, take the Hudson line to Peekskill, get a cab to take me to a hotel, go to sleep, get up the next morning and call a cab to take me to Bear Mt. Bridge and off to Maine I go.

traildust
01-06-2010, 18:03
Ok... I've got a plan...

Amtrak to Penn Station, walk the .08 to Grand Central, take the Hudson line to Peekskill, get a cab to take me to a hotel, go to sleep, get up the next morning and call a cab to take me to Bear Mt. Bridge and off to Maine I go.

Bear Mountain Bridge Motel has rooms for $65. They offer a shuttle to the trail. Ft. Montgomery, Ny. Or if you want to get warmed up, you can walk from the motel to the bridge. Will get you ready for the climb up the hill when you cross the bridge.

1azarus
01-06-2010, 18:05
I used to work just north of grand central, and used to take an amtrak train from Wallingford, CT into penn station. As far as i'm concerned, the only way to get between the two train stations is to walk! and a nice walk it is... I think you have the right plan. Good luck on your hike!

traildust
01-06-2010, 18:05
Just found my trail book, and blew the dust off. BM motel 845-446-4277. About 1 1/2 miles to bridge. 30 minute walk or take the shuttle.

Cookerhiker
01-06-2010, 18:06
Don't mess with taxis or subways - just walk. And don't worry about wearing your backpacking regalia. I didn't.

10-K
01-06-2010, 18:11
Just found my trail book, and blew the dust off. BM motel 845-446-4277. About 1 1/2 miles to bridge. 30 minute walk or take the shuttle.

Works for me - I've already looked at their website. Thanks for the tip!

10-K
01-06-2010, 18:15
I used to work just north of grand central, and used to take an amtrak train from Wallingford, CT into penn station. As far as i'm concerned, the only way to get between the two train stations is to walk! and a nice walk it is... I think you have the right plan. Good luck on your hike!

Thanks!

Say... aren't you the guy that encouraged me to hike NY/NJ when the temps were in the single digits and that snowstorm blew through.... ;)

(BTW, It was great after I got out of Vernon... From BM to Vernon was tough going)

10-K
01-06-2010, 18:15
Don't mess with taxis or subways - just walk. And don't worry about wearing your backpacking regalia. I didn't.

Where's your poles? ;)

Old Grouse
01-06-2010, 20:34
Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You'd be much better off walking a couple of blocks from Penn Station to the Port Authority bus terminal and taking a bus directly to Bear Mountain. Why mess around with going over to GCS and taking a train to Peekskill and then still being miles away from your goal?

sasquatch2014
01-06-2010, 22:39
Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You'd be much better off walking a couple of blocks from Penn Station to the Port Authority bus terminal and taking a bus directly to Bear Mountain. Why mess around with going over to GCS and taking a train to Peekskill and then still being miles away from your goal?

The man has a point here. Plus as you will be walking a few hundred miles you can eat whatever you want and there is a White Castle Burgers around 38th if I recall correctly. A case of sliders for the bus trip?:banana

sasquatch2014
01-06-2010, 22:40
Thanks!

Say... aren't you the guy that encouraged me to hike NY/NJ when the temps were in the single digits and that snowstorm blew through.... ;)

(BTW, It was great after I got out of Vernon... From BM to Vernon was tough going)

Even when it is dry that section from BM to Vernon is tougher than most folks give it credit for. Glad the rest of the trip worked out and you didn't bail I knew it would get better once you were off of Pochuck.

Foyt20
01-06-2010, 23:16
The man has a point here. Plus as you will be walking a few hundred miles you can eat whatever you want and there is a White Castle Burgers around 38th if I recall correctly. A case of sliders for the bus trip?:banana

This^^^

And guys, dont worry about the hiking gear. Its new york city, there are many more interesting people to look at. :D

Ender
01-06-2010, 23:24

Ditto. Just take the bus right to Bear Mountain! It's *much* more direct.

10-K
01-07-2010, 05:14

Sounds like there's a concensus that this is the way to go so that's what I'll do.

I'm buying my Amtrak ticket today and I'll be good to go.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info, I appreciate it very, very much.

10-K
01-07-2010, 05:38
Just a quick followup on taking a bus from the Port Authority bus terminal....

From looking at the PA website (http://www.ny.com/transportation/port_authority.html) and browsing through the different bus company schedules it looks like there's only one company that offers service to Bear Mt. and it has only 1 trip per day.

Am I missing something?

Old Grouse
01-07-2010, 06:34
Looks like the Short Line has 3 on weekdays and 2 on weekends. You want to give yourself an hour to get from train to bus and should prepurchase your ticket if possible to avoid standing in an extra line,

10-K
01-07-2010, 07:03
Looks like the Short Line has 3 on weekdays and 2 on weekends. You want to give yourself an hour to get from train to bus and should prepurchase your ticket if possible to avoid standing in an extra line,

So it does, thanks...

Can't buy a ticket online but you can pay the driver when you board. $13 and change from New York to BM.

sasquatch2014
01-07-2010, 08:16
Never did catch when you are heading out from Bear Mt for ME.

10-K
01-07-2010, 09:37
Never did catch when you are heading out from Bear Mt for ME.

Right now I'm looking at May 16th..

1azarus
01-07-2010, 09:42
Thanks!

'fraid so. also the guy who asked if an apology was in order. i'm off to hike from pine grove furnace to duncannon martin luther king weekend, so there will be justice...

10-K
01-07-2010, 09:55
'fraid so. also the guy who asked if an apology was in order. i'm off to hike from pine grove furnace to duncannon martin luther king weekend, so there will be justice...

Heck no man.... We all knew it was going to be cold and that snow storm came up out of nowhere. And anyway, it was my decision.

That hike is one of those hikes that gets better and better as time goes by. There were definitely times (before Fitzgerald Falls especially) that I might have turned around except going back COULDN'T be harder than going forward. :)

Have fun on your hike. There are some nice stretches in that section.

Yahtzee
01-07-2010, 10:05
10-K, a word of warning about the Port Authority terminal. It is a cluster. Sure, the bums like to hang outside, but they are the least of your worries. Attempting to find your terminal number and then finding your terminal can take a while. There is no rhyme nor reason to that joint. If you have a tight schedule between Amtrak and your bus, (say like, an hour) I'd be prepared to hustle. It probably on takes 10-15 to walk to the bus terminal but once inside, it can take a good bit to get to your terminal.

I'm old and don't like hassle. I don't mind bus rides so much, but trains are so much nicer. And for the small difference in price, I would rather walk through mid-town manhattan towards the view of the Chrysler building to the majestic grand central and take a train I can be certain will be easy to find, on time and comfortable than go to the dingy PA and hassle to take a bus. Seeing Grand Central, alone, is worth any difference in price between the two.

Alligator
01-07-2010, 10:32
Port Authority is a bit chaotic. If you use the bus, ask 2-3 times about the correct terminal number. I wanted to be sure so I asked at two information desks and got two answers. When I got upstairs, I asked an employee again. I got a third answer, but at least that guy was right:D.

When using the trains at Grand Central, it helps to know the final stop, as this is how they are labeled on the information screens.

You can easily walk between all three points, Port Authority, Grand Central, and Penn Station. You can do it in your hiker clothes. I was wearing shorts in Oct and found the heat coming out of the grates was nice:D. Get some pizza in between, it's fun squeezing into an alley sized pizza joint with your pack.

brocken spectre
01-07-2010, 10:32
Yeah, if you want to get to Bear Mountain then take the Shortline bus.

https://www.coachusa.com/shortline/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&TRP=1&productId=1983

sasquatch2014
01-07-2010, 10:47

Hey when you get done with that let me know how the trail was I am going down the next weekend to that same section just backwards.

Ender
01-07-2010, 10:49
Right now I'm looking at May 16th..

If you run into any trouble while here in NYC, let me know. I'm local and could give a hand if needed.

Old Grouse
01-07-2010, 11:20
Port Authority chaos is why I suggested at least an hour to make the transition.

sasquatch2014
01-07-2010, 11:26
The Port Authority chaos is not like it once was. Now that whole area is so well policed. The whole region around there has been Disneyfied. I recall having to wait down there to take a bus up to school back in the day and the area around there really provided an education for a young man.

Ender
01-07-2010, 12:06
The Port Authority chaos is not like it once was.

Agreed. It's still not where I'd go on a date, but it's nothing like it once was. It's safe, and the area surrounding PA is nice with good places to eat and shop. Still, it's a chaotic place if you're in a rush and can't find your gate, so it's always good to give yourself a little extra time to get to where you need to be.

10-K
01-07-2010, 12:36
Agreed. It's still not where I'd go on a date, but it's nothing like it once was. It's safe, and the area surrounding PA is nice with good places to eat and shop. Still, it's a chaotic place if you're in a rush and can't find your gate, so it's always good to give yourself a little extra time to get to where you need to be.

If the train is on time I've got 2 hours to make it to the bus.

I guess this is something I can figure out when I get there... It's nice to have different options - either of these would be ok with me.

I was in NYC in 2000 and actually walked inside Grand Central Station and looked around - but everything I know about getting around in NYC on a bus or train I've learned in this thread.

Feral Bill
01-07-2010, 14:27
The Port Authority chaos is not like it once was. Now that whole area is so well policed. The whole region around there has been Disneyfied. I recall having to wait down there to take a bus up to school back in the day and the area around there really provided an education for a young man.

The real fun with Port Authority is getting back to it after a week or so in the quiet woods. (a frequent occurance in my younger days) Gets your attention.