PDA

View Full Version : Best Container for Carrying Denatured Alcohol??

SavageLlama
09-09-2004, 12:10
I've heard plastic flasks work well. Any recommendations or links ya'll can point me to?

orangebug
09-09-2004, 12:13
Consider a rubbing alcohol bottle. It has a unique shape, is identifiable in the dark and the level can been seen easily. Otherwise, I'd suggest asking a pharmacist for a suitable liquid medicine bottle with a child proof top.

baseballswthrt
09-09-2004, 12:20
My husband and I each carry a "Code Red Mountain Dew" bottle for our alcohol. They have red lids so we know what they are. Of course, our children are in their teens, so I dont' worry about them drinking it!

Anita

TDale
09-09-2004, 12:22
A throwaway water or soda bottle. 8 oz if you can find one.

Dances with Mice
09-09-2004, 12:56
I've heard plastic flasks work well. Any recommendations or links ya'll can point me to?

I like my LITE brand plastic longneck beer bottle, the "Stay Cold Bottle", because it is double walled, breakproof and nearly puncture proof. The cap holds exactly 1 TBS.

It's also LITE beer. Nobody would try to drink it.

orangebug
09-09-2004, 13:20
Was that Miller or Bud LITE? Both are swill, but that is one of the best ideas I've heard yet.

tarbubble
09-09-2004, 13:21
i have one of the $5.00 eight-ounce-capacity measuring & squeeze bottles from Brasslite. it's great. as i said, it holda 8 ounces but it also has this really unique incorporated chamber that you squeeze fuel into. it has 1/4 and 1/2 ounce measurements and a screw-top squirt valve. it's rather ingenious. also in 4 and 16 ounce sizes:

http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/bottleOrder.html#8oz

Footslogger
09-09-2004, 13:51
Here's one website you can check out but I got mine at the local spirits store (same brand as on website)

http://www.flaskshop.com/

Bottoms up ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Dances with Mice
09-09-2004, 14:01
Was that Miller or Bud LITE? Both are swill, but that is one of the best ideas I've heard yet.

Miller, I believe. Says "LITE" on the lid. Looks like a long-neck beer bottle, sorta. "Stay Cold Bottle" is prominently displayed on the label.

Rather unfortunately, I've only seen it sold in 6-packs. I guess that's just one of the sacrifices we all have to make for this hobby, gotta take one for the team sometimes.

These bottles can take a lot of flexing and bending without leaking. I've been impressed with the engineering of the container but not its contents.

SGT Rock
09-09-2004, 14:53
8.9 ounce soda bottle I got from Wal-Mart. I let the kids drink the soda.

Streamweaver
09-09-2004, 15:39
I have a 10 oz nail polish remover bottle from a dollar store(used the remover for cleaning up after painting jigs) its flat ,strong and has a nice long narrow neck for pouring.On dayhikes I use a 4 oz coglahns camp soap bottle,which is also flat and has a flip out pour spout. both the camp soap and the plastic whiskey type flast (with the small metal cup) are made by coglahns and are sold at wally world and campmor. Streamweaver

Fiddleback
09-09-2004, 15:46
If Brasslite is too pricey, you can clean up a Stabil (gas additive) bottle --they're almost identical. I was using one but I think I'm going back to the old brown cough medicine bottles...

FB

poison_ivy
09-09-2004, 16:06
I also go with a Mountain Dew soda bottle because it's green and my water bottle is clear.

- Ivy

SavageLlama
09-09-2004, 17:03
Thanks all. Some good ideas. :cool:

The soda bottle is a real good one, as i'm looking for a 12 oz container for a thru-hike of the Long Trail next month.

2XL
09-09-2004, 17:06
I like to use a flouride rinse bottle,like a mouthwash bottle. The cap measures 1oz.