PDA

View Full Version : Women Thru Hikers

skymom
01-07-2010, 00:05
Just curious for those women that have done a through hike...at what time in your life did you do this? Pre family (spouse, children), after kids grown, or during? Wondering if anyone chose to leave the family at home for a few months to pursue the hike?

Spirit Walker
01-07-2010, 00:17
I have no kids, so that wasn't a factor for me. My first two thruhikes I was single in my thirties. My next thrus were with my husband (whom I met on my second thruhike.)

I know several men who left their young children at home with a spouse, but it is much rarer for women to do so. I think it is simply too hard on the children. It isn't easy when the father takes off for five or six months, but usually men aren't the primary caregiver so it is somehow considered more acceptable. I've known of a few women who thruhiked while they had teenage children and a husband or usually ex-husband willing to be responsible for them. One woman ended up going home midway because she felt like she was needed at home I also know of several women who hiked with their entire family - including children from toddler age to teenage. Again, it can be hard on the kids, but probably easier than being abandoned for six months, and some kids absolutely thrive in the long distance lifestyle.

Lillianp
01-07-2010, 13:00
Post college, pre real job. (That's this year!) I've known I've wanted to for a long while and if I'd looked (and, if lucky, found) for a permanent full time job, I would probably never have gone to do it.

Marta
01-07-2010, 13:40
I waited until our youngest child was out of high school and in college.

Putting a thru-hike together requires a magic combination of time and money. My children were born when I was in my 20s, and pretty much occupied my attention for the next 20 years. When our kids were younger than college age, they needed me to manage the home life and their dad to supply the money for same. I did lots of shorter hikes with the kids, but a week was enough for them. None of them are as entranced with long-distance hiking as I am. That's okay--in our family we let everyone hike their own hike, as it were.

Blissful
01-07-2010, 14:15
After I finished homeschooling my son (he went with me).

Pickleodeon
01-07-2010, 14:58
This probably doesn't help you much, but I went post-college, pre- real job. Unfortunately, the hard part is now trying to find a job.

healthymom
01-07-2010, 16:50
When I graduate my oldest from our homeschool. I'm taking the youngest as his senior project.
Dee
Healthymom

skymom
01-07-2010, 20:06
Great points from everyone! I'm definately not in a position to go anytime soon. I acutally didn't really learn much about the AT until I was out of college and in the job world. There's no way I could go now and leave my daughter for that length of time, I would miss her too much and couldn't enjoy it like I'd like. Plus, my husband's cooking consists of pb&J, chicken nuggets or burgers on the foreman. Not quite the healthy diet for a 6 yr old. He and I have started a few years ago in Springer, section hiking, by taking off a week at a time and leaving her with my parents. We've gotten some progress made. Hopefully we'll get her on board and can complete it over the years as a family. Right now the most she's hiked in a day is about 4-4 1/2 miles. We've had her on a trail since she could walk and she loves it!

Erin
01-07-2010, 23:48
Wish I woulda after school Now I have to wait until I retire. But there are some wondeful tail journals by women thru's. Two we met, Kokapelli and Alpine Strider. Kokapelli took a break from her professional job. Alpine Strider was from Germany and did it twice, I believe. Fun people to meet on the trail.
The ATC magazine just did a long articl on women who hiked in later life. Nice article.

Grampie
01-08-2010, 14:54
When I thru-hiked in 2001 I was suprised by the number of older, 40 t0 60, woman I met hiking while they left their husband home. I probably met 6 or 8.

Blissful
01-08-2010, 20:36
When I graduate my oldest from our homeschool. I'm taking the youngest as his senior project.
Dee
Healthymom

Nice idea!!

Blissful
01-08-2010, 20:37
When I thru-hiked in 2001 I was suprised by the number of older, 40 t0 60, woman I met hiking while they left their husband home. I probably met 6 or 8.

And then there are all the men who left their wives at home. :eek: :)

Lilred
01-09-2010, 14:07
I won't be able to thru hike until I retire, around 65, if I stay healthy. I started to do long sections in the summers (I teach) when my kids were in high school and more able to take care of themselves.

modiyooch
01-09-2010, 19:56
I was 21 and burned out from college and work when I attempted my thru. Even though I only lasted 200 miles, I came off with a better perspective of life, and much more.
I then moved closer to the trail, married and raised a family. It's only been in the last few years that I have been able to return to the trail for long hikes. Now that my kids are raised (?), I escape to the trail.

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 15:10
For me I have been in the Air Force for the last 6 years (joined right after I turned 18) and have some college time, married, divorced, and now am living with my bf who is also in the AF. I actually will be out of service on the 27th of Jan and will be able to hike the A.T. before I start up college in the fall. And no children for at least another 4 years (or so is the plan). I am hoping to be able to hike every summer for the next 3-4 years before settling down.

healthymom...that is such a wonderful thing so homeschool your children. I myself was homeschooled. I also hope to be able to take my kids hiking, and hope that it will be in their blood as it is in mine. :)

daylaandjasper
01-16-2010, 23:05
I did my first hike 3 years post undegrad college- was able to take a leave of absence from my job to hike. I returned to that job post hike only briefly and then ridgeran on the AT one summer and went back to grad school- which I after I attempted a PCT thru, then came home and worked/got married bought a house for 4 years, the last of which was spent dealing with a breast cancerdiagnosis. I was already planning to ask for a leave or quit my job to hike this year when I was laid off a month ago. This time I am hiking with my husband. We have no kids or plans for kids.

Peanut
01-18-2010, 08:24
I taught for 6 years after college before I thru-hiked, came back and subbed, and through that, found another full-time teaching job. Sooooo worth it!!

Gunner81
02-05-2010, 21:45
Post college, no kids at home

Dovetail
02-17-2010, 21:31
My children were all 16 or older, but my mom had moved in to our home and was "monitoring" in my absence. Periodic calls home or to each individual family member let them know I hadn't disappeared off the face of the earth. I also encouraged them to visit trail journal website where I was posting regular journal notes and pictures.
Honestly, I can't imagine leaving them for an extended period of time before this stage in their lives. Thankfully, they're all responsible young adults I didn't have to worry about too.

singing wind
02-18-2010, 02:02
skymom-
At what time did I attempt a long distance hike? - Late teens and early 20's, then a long break (although I went on shorter hikes) until a couple years ago when I gave it a go again with much lighter gear. Definately enjoying it more now that I'm older.

Did I leave family at home? - Now - yes, my partner is not able to hike and he seems happy to keep the home fires burning, although I know he worries when I'm on the trail. I prefer to hike solo anyway and meet people along the way.

There's so many variables to this - fair enough to say that my original vision of an AT thru-hike was going solo and in retrospect after trying long distance hiking with a significant other as well as with a well trained dog, I think I really appreciate sticking with my first instincts.

All the best to you and good luck! :)

botanista
02-20-2010, 15:17
Nice question! I quit my job to do this, although I hope to have to leave the trail early to go to a job interview. No kids or other family. I'm recently divorced from a very nice man who doesn't backpack, so now I'm going back to something I enjoyed in my youth.

yappy
02-20-2010, 15:31
) have left my husband and dogs at home the past few thrus and it isn't easy... quite a bummer actually...:) I wish he liked to hike but he thinks I am nuts..:)

BlindFaith
02-20-2010, 22:01
I would LOVE to do a thur hike. Is there anyone out there who is in relationship with someone who doesn't hike and is less than thrilled about the idea of a thru hike? Just curious.

yappy
02-20-2010, 22:04
I didnt mean those smilies faces. I meant to do the sad the sad faces .. it is NO fun leaving someone you love behind. It is about the worst day on the trip. I never gave it a whole lot of thought when I wasn't leaving Brad about how others do it but now... I have alot more understanding . I am not sure how long I will be able to do it actually.... esp the long walks. Lately they have been shorter hikes and that does help. Anyhow ,good luck with your decision.

betsi
02-20-2010, 22:46
i did my thru last year (2009) and turned 40 on the trail. i was 10 years out of grad school and was able to gather a nice nest egg and take a leave of absence. (i hesitate to call myself "pre" anything. let's say i'm childfree.)

what i enjoyed about my timing (other than how awesome a 40th birthday present is a thru-hike?) was that i didn't have to worry about money. if i'd hiked the trail when i originally thought i was going to hike it (~3 years out of grad school), the timing would have required me to be much more disciplined about my spending. i saved for a long time, so i wanted to not worry about cash for 6 months or so.

if i do choose to have children, they will all be invited to thru-hike with me when the last one turns 18.