PDA

View Full Version : FMST 2010 Annual Meeting - February 6, 2010 at Haw River State Park

Tennessee Viking
01-07-2010, 00:47
If you have ever drove along the BPR, walked through the NC Piedmont State Parks, or strolled along the Outer Banks. You more than likely you passed or walked on the North Carolina Mountains to Sea Trail.

The Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail will be holding its annual meeting in Feb 6th, 2010 at Haw River State Park to discuss its accomplishments and future plans for the trail (relocations, easements, funds...).

For those who have hiked portions or the entire trail. We would like to hear from you about the current and suggestions for the future.

Please RSVP to Kate Dixon, Executive Director, of Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail ([email protected] ([email protected])).

Tennessee Viking
01-07-2010, 01:20
For me personally, I would like to see the MST be routed up tp the top Grandfather Mtn State Park. And make the Tanawha Trail route, an alternate blue blaze route. At the top, there is abundance of camping, a shelter, and breath-taking views.

Then one of the biggest challenges is camping on the various right-of-ways. Camping is open on forest service lands. But in other areas, ex. BPR and State Parks, camping is permitted at only approved campsites and campgrounds. Maybe get plans for a permit system that all agencies and groups can be happy with. Maybe get on-trail campsites created for permitted hikers only.

Also, set up plans or ideas that would attract land owners to open up their property to easements. Maintain fences, use of farm roads, and such. Also get counties and towns attracted into building greenways or trail systems.

Taba
01-07-2010, 01:34
I have been talking about a thru-hikers permit for the BRP and state parks since last years annual meeting. In fact I asked the president of the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation about it. The park service on the BRP should be concerned about overnight parking at the overlooks not about me in the woods. There is no sign of me where it would inconvenience anyone else and I leave no trace. One of my main focuses for this trail is to fix the camping issue. I put a flyer on every church door along the road sections to ask them for permission to allow hikers to camp on the property and use the water spigots. I received about 2 dozen positive responses and found several private citizens who are also willing to help out. These places will be listed in bold lettering in the 2010 editions of the Manual. It almost fixes the camping issue for the road segments. There are about 125 churches my goal is to get every one of them to agree. Then we won't have any problem finding a place to sleep.

Taba

Tennessee Viking
01-07-2010, 09:26
The park service on the BRP should be concerned about overnight parking at the overlooks not about me in the woods. There is no sign of me where it would inconvenience anyone else and I leave no trace. The trail in most parts sits above the Parkway and out of view of tourists.

I can agree that, in future times when the trail becomes more popular and travelled, BRP doesn't want a string of tents. Then again, there are quite a few houses in view of the parkway around Asheville and Boone. So campsites will need to be limited, or pushed away from the parkway. Which wouldn't be a bad idea since hikers would want to get away from the noise of traffic and closer to water sources.

ki0eh
01-07-2010, 13:07
Y'alls might want to get in touch with volunteer leaders in Finger Lakes Trail Conference (http://www.fingerlakestrail.org/) because their footpath has existed half on private land for 40+ years and now 800+ miles including branches. Certainly more than a few NC folks moved down there from upstate NY for economic opportunity, so there's likely some ability to make connections that way. Just because the FLT is in NY state don't assume it's all moneyed liberal Yankees - that area is in the Federally defined Appalachian region for good reason. As a volunteer myself I especially hate to waste valuable time on wheel reinvention - more contact between grass roots volunteer leaders can only help. Certainly these folks have helped the PA MST (http://www.hike-mst.org/) with similar issues. PM me if you're interested in contacts.

Tennessee Viking
01-13-2010, 10:19
The FMST Board of Directors will host the Annual Task Force meeting on Saturday, February 6, 2010 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at Haw River State Park in Browns Summit (north of Greensboro). Lunch will be provided for $10. We hope you will be able to join us there.

The agenda will include:
· Keynote address by Alissa Bierma, Upper Neuse Riverkeeper
· Progress report on building the MST across the state
· Reports from each Task Force
· Recognition of hikers who have completed the trail
· FMST volunteer awards
· FMST plans for 2010

The meeting will allow pressing issues to surface, questions about the MST to be answered, and reports from our Task Forces to be heard. Over the years, these annual meetings have been invaluable to the board and our volunteers in developing plans for the future.

We will once again have great door prizes and a silent auction during the day. If you would like to provide an item please let us know.

Please RSVP to Kate Dixon, Executive Director, of Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail ([email protected]).

Tennessee Viking
02-03-2010, 20:57
Due to icy weather, the 2010 Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail meeting has been re-scheduled.

The new meeting date is March 13th.

Also all RSVPs are now registered online. Please visit FMST Meeting on ConstantContact.com (http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e2pk0xoj4768a151&oseq=a021jhfkpruli2) to RSVP.